i might be leaving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006 | 12:26 AM
Racer

i might be leaving...

i might be leaving the acura cl family. as much as i love the car, i want a manual tranny with a bigger motor without the hassle of doing swaps.

i have a potential buyer for my car (97 2.2 auto, 72,000 miles, clean title) for $7000. is that a good price that i'm selling it at?

im going to check out a 99 Based prelude, 5spd, white on black, 106,000 miles, clean title this weekend. its for $7300.

is the prelude a good deal? i trust you guys, thats why im asking you guys.

*last thing, another friend told me that his friend goes to auction to get cars...and they are really good deals. i messaged my friend's friend and he told me all he need is one day to get the car i want..im like wtf.

has anyone have experience with auction cars? good or bad? pros/ cons? Thanks!!!

^give me some reasons/ pros for buying a manual car that i can explain to my parents. they keep saying how i would race a manual car, and that i might crash it, and that they dont knwo how to move it out of the driveway if im not there (cuz they dont know how to drive stick)

THANKS GUYS!
Old 11-30-2006 | 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

try to talk the price a little lower.
Old 11-30-2006 | 12:57 AM
Racer

u think so? cuz kbb is 8.....but i guess it doesnt hurt to try. are you gonna miss me jay if i leave? hahahahahaa
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by asianmoomoo
u think so? cuz kbb is 8.....but i guess it doesnt hurt to try. are you gonna miss me jay if i leave? hahahahahaa
:ghey:

Haha j/k Andy.
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:33 AM
Racer

joey is a bitch. LOL
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:53 AM
Senior Moderator

1. i don't roll that way. 2. i think you can talk the price down more. 3. I only met you once. how can i miss you?
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:33 AM
2600lb CL

from my understanding the base preludes suck in power...but then again, i dont know much about them. Except for the fact that the SH (highest model) are still slower than the 3.0's (with my past experiences)
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:54 AM
Racer

both the base and the type sh comes with the same engine of 200hp.
Old 11-30-2006 | 06:47 AM
a jawful a somethin awful

tell your parents that standard is better on gas. better in case of emergencies(down shifting). less money in the long run( no tranny replacing).

As far a auctions, you should go with the guy. to make sure you know what your buying. Most people charge since you have to have a dealer liscence. but I don't know if he will. but for the most part it's good. My dad got a 750il for 10gs with a little rear damage. only cost another 3,000 to fix. a BMW 750 for $13,000? can't beat it
Old 11-30-2006 | 07:39 AM
Bagel Bomber

lets swap grilles first. I have a prelude before my cl (1993 w. jdm h22a and manual tranny conversion) i loved it, except here in VA i was getting hasseled by cops too much. I love preludes and if you can get the price down even a little lower that would be the icing on the cake.
Old 11-30-2006 | 07:41 AM
Bagel Bomber

Originally Posted by sumdumguy
tell your parents that standard is better on gas. better in case of emergencies(down shifting). less money in the long run( no tranny replacing).

As far a auctions, you should go with the guy. to make sure you know what your buying. Most people charge since you have to have a dealer liscence. but I don't know if he will. but for the most part it's good. My dad got a 750il for 10gs with a little rear damage. only cost another 3,000 to fix. a BMW 750 for $13,000? can't beat it
I'd love a 750i - cant seem find them around here for that price though great find.
Old 11-30-2006 | 09:42 AM
where is....

auction cars are fine, most used car dealerships are all auction bought cars
Old 11-30-2006 | 09:44 AM
where is....

my uncle just got his h23 for $2500 with 125,000 miles on it in mint condition
Old 11-30-2006 | 09:54 AM
Got DEP???

I wouldn't pay that much for a 99 Prelude with that many miles on it unless it was an SH (Sport Handling). The SH has the 'Active Torque Transfer System'. What that does is transfers mosre torque from the inside wheel to the outside wheel while cornering. ie: You take a right hand turn and it gives more torque to the left wheel.
However, you could tell your parents that and explain how it is safer.

EDIT:

1999 Honda Prelude SH

SPECIFICATIONS MODEL: Honda Prelude SH
ENGINE: 2.2-liter DOHC VTEC inline four
HORSEPOWER/TORQUE: 200 hp @ 7000 rpm/156 lb-ft @ 5250 rpm
TRANSMISSION: Five-speed manual
FUEL ECONOMY: 22 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, 23.1 mpg test
WHEELBASE: 101.8 in.
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT: 178.0 x 69.0 x 51.8 in.
CURB WEIGHT: 3042 lbs.
FUEL CAPACITY:15.9gal.
LUGGAGE CAPACITY: 8.7 cu. ft.
TIRES:P205/50R16
INSTRUMENTS: Speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, water temperature, digital clock.
EQUIPMENT: Power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, power seats, power sunroof, cruise control, air conditioner, AM-FM stereo radio with in-dash CD player, anti-lock four-wheel disc brakes, dual front air bags.

From a review...
"The Prelude is powered by Honda’s 2.2-liter DOHC VTEC inline four-cylinder engine that develops a healthy 200 horsepower. Normally, when you ask an engine this size to deliver 200 horses, you’d expect an overstressed engine. But the Prelude’s VTEC engine feels like the V-6 Accord engine it’s so smooth. When Honda introduced this model we had an opportunity to drive it through a slalom course and run the engine up to its 7,300 rpm red line. It was comforting to know that the electronics cut out at his revs, reducing the possibility of blowing the engine."
Old 11-30-2006 | 09:58 AM
ur as welcome as cancer

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy an auction car...my 4 trannys tell the sob story.

*my sister's 2.2 is an auction too, but hers is fine, so i guess it's just a coin toss...good luck!
Old 11-30-2006 | 10:04 AM
where is....

i thought the SH has a 4 wheel turning or something like that
Old 11-30-2006 | 10:21 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by AznX TL
I'm not exactly sure about when, but I think they stopped making the 4 wheel turning in the early 90's...
Ok, I just looked it up online and it didn't mention anything about four wheel steering after the fourth gen Prelude (91-96) which had an upgraded electronic version.

It also said that the SH stood for 'Super Handling'. I was going to buy an SH in 1998 and the book at the dealership said it stood for Sport Handling, but whatever...
Old 11-30-2006 | 11:19 AM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

preludes are beautiful... i was thinking of doing the exact same thing last year. BUT i changed my mind because of the police factor and theft rate.. buy that 97 black cl 5speed on sale over here.. and sell the auto
Old 11-30-2006 | 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 11-30-2006 | 12:26 PM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by AznX TL
I believe that was from 86-89'.
Old 11-30-2006 | 12:38 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by Cocoa
I believe that was from 86-89'.
It was obviously released in 1986, but was the 1987 year model...

The third generation Prelude was similar to the second generation, however it gained four wheel steering on some models, as well as a 2.0 L SOHC carburated engine, an optional B20A DOHC EFI engine, or a slightly-larger B21A1 in 1990 and 1991.

The four wheel steering system on the third generation prelude was an extraordinary piece of engineering in itself. As of 2006, it is the only four wheel steering system on a production car that is entirely mechanical in its design; that is, there is always a direct mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the rear wheels. This means the four wheel steering-equipped Prelude was intuitive to drive, unlike most other four wheel steering systems in which the rear wheels were controlled indirectly by a computer.

The third generation Prelude also had some new external designs worth mentioning. The hoodline was designed to be the lowest hoodline of any front wheel drive car in the world, allowing for better forward visibility. The drag resistance was at of high-speed stability.

Another unique structural element of the third generation Prelude was the high-strength metal used in the 6 roof pillars. The roof pillars were so slim that all-around visibility was amazingly clear for 326°. Some call this Prelude the "baby NSX" due to some common design cues between the two cars, such as the excellent forward visibility via a low hoodline, a front end resemblance, the suspension attributes (great handling with a smooth ride).

In 1987, Road & Track published a test summary that shows the 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4WS outslalomed every car of that year, including all Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Porsches. It went through the slalom at 65.5 mph, which was amazing in those days. For reference, the 1988 Corvette did the same at 64.9 mph.

The Prelude was Wheels magazine's Car of the Year for 1987.
Old 11-30-2006 | 12:44 PM
Got DEP???

FYI

In November 1989 the Honda Prelude was given a facelift from the previous third generation (1987-1988) styling to a newer look. This facelift featured slightly larger tail lights with clear indicators instead of the previous orange indicators. The front bumper on the 1990 Preludes was also changed to feature clear indicators and park lamps and different styling.
Honda in 1990, released the Prelude SiStates. This car was on a limited production line and very few were built, it featured 4WS (Four Wheel Steering), ALB (ABS), Limited Slip Differential, Leather wrapped steering wheel and gear shift leaver, Extra sound deadening on firewall and hood, rear wiper and washer, and many more features that were usually options. It also featured a unique B21A engine that was only produced for the SiStates. This model was only available in Japan.

In 1991, there was a major overhaul of the fourth generation Prelude, released outside of Japan in 1992. The car had a 58% front and 42% rear weight distribution. The four wheel steering system was changed to an electronic version and the engine was increased in size from 2.1 L to 2.2 L for the base "S" model (SOHC F22A1 engine, 135 hp (101 kW) @ 5200 rpm, 142 ft·lbf (193 N·m) @ 4000 rpm) and "VTEC" model (DOHC VTEC H22a, 190 hp (143 kW) @ 6800 rpm, 158 ft·lbf (212 N·m) @ 5500 rpm), with a less performance-oriented 2.3 L for the "Si" (DOHC H23A1, 160 hp (115 kW) @ 5800 rpm, 156 ft·lbf (212 N·m) @ 5300 rpm. The VTEC Model had an upgraded brake system, going from a 10.3" front rotor to an 11.1" front rotor, utilizing a larger caliper and brake pad, similar to that from the Acura Vigor.
In the UK, there was also a 2.0i model that was rated around 125 bhp (93 kW). 1993 was the last year that the "Si-VTEC" name was used, and starting in 1994 it shortened to just "VTEC" and stayed that way throughout the rest of the generation. The Prelude 2.2 VTEC is sometimes incorrectly referred to as a VTi. In Canada, the Si was called the SR, and the VTEC was called the SR-V.

This model also marked the end for the pop-up headlights and a lot of other design features that had become "prelude standard". The rear end was no longer flat and wide; but wide, rounded and fairly high in comparison. The front fascia of the car became wider with fixed headlights. The glass sunroof made way for a steel sliding roof which no longer retracted into the car but extended out and over it. This in effect creates a spoiler which reduced air noise when driving.

The dashboard was generally accepted as the extraordinary feature of this model. The dashboard stretched from left to right in the car, being equal in height over the full length and housing all dials and indicators. The light blue backlighting introduced in the third generation was continued. Later models (1994 and on) also featured translucent speedometer and tachometer needles. In Japan, there was also an in-dash television set available as a standard option; as a result, many enthusiasts have tried to modify their Preludes' dashboards in order to fit a small television set. The Japanese version of the Prelude also had certain options which were never found in state-bound models but did show up in the Canadian market. For instance, the Japanese Prelude had power folding and heated side mirrors, as well as a rear windscreen wiper while the Canadian market had heated seats. The fourth generation Prelude also shares suspension components with the fifth (94-97) and sixth (98-02) generation Honda Accord.

In the UK, the Honda Prelude was never considered an essential purchase by the majority of sports car enthusiasts who overlooked it for the more trendy Toyota MR-2 and other well-known rivals. This might be partly due to the Prelude's reportedly cramped interior, though perhaps the Prelude was also overshadowed by more prominent performance Hondas such as the Civic Type-R, the NSX and later the S2000. However, the Prelude is extremely competitive in terms of style, speed and build quality, and it has achieved something of a cult status in the UK and US where demand is still high for the sportier, manual transmission versions.

The fifth generation of the Honda Prelude saw enhancements over the fourth generation, including new body styling and handling characteristics. In 2001 the Prelude was discontinued.

The fifth-generation retained an FF layout with an independent front suspension. The vehicle utilized a 63/37 weight distribution. All fifth-generation Honda Preludes came with 16 inch aluminum alloy wheels with all-season 205/50 R16 87V tires, except the Xi (14 inch steel wheels with full covers and 195/65 R14 89H tires) and Si (15 inch aluminum alloy wheels with all-season 195/60 R15 88H tires.) on which aluminum alloy rims came as a dealer option. Unlike the USDM Preludes, JDM Preludes came with rear windshield wipers (except the Xi). All Prelude models now featured the 11.1" front brakes that the 96' VTEC model came with, and the prelude also recieved a 5-lug hub, opposed to the 4-lug wheel hub of older models.

The fifth-generation Prelude marked a return to the body style of the late 1980s, or third generation, in an attempt to curb slumping sales of the fourth-generation body style. The fifth-generation was assembled and distributed to many parts of the world, including Japan, the UK, the US, and Germany, among others. All models and trims stayed within the BB-chassis code (BB5-BB9) and housed either the H-series engine or F-series motor. Models available to the Japanese market included: SiR (10.6), Xi (8.8), Si (9.2), SiR S-spec (11.0) and the Type S (11.0). The US received a Base model and Type SH. Canada received the Base model, SE, and Type SH. Europe received the 2.0i (9.5) and 2.2 VTi VTEC (10.0). Australia received the Si (10.0) and the VTi-R (10.0). All fifth gen. Preludes came with an H22A ( ) except: Xi (F22B), Si (F22B), 2.0i (F20A), Si (F22Z). BB5 was the Xi, and Si-2WS trim. BB6 was the SiR-2WS trim, SiR S-spec, Type S, Base model, Type SH, SE, 2.2 VTi VTEC-2WS trim. BB7 was the Si-4WS trim. BB8 was the SiR-4WS trim, and 2.2 VTi VTEC-4WS trim. All Preludes had a fuel tank capacity of 60 L (15.9 US gal).

One version of the fifth-generation Prelude, the Type S, was only available in Japan. It was equipped with the 2.2 L H22A, featuring VTEC and producing 220 PS (162 kW, 217 hp) @ 7200 rpm and 22.5 kgf·m (221 N·m, 163 lb·ft) @ 6500 rpm. With a compression ratio of 11.0:1, 87.0 mm bore x 90.7 mm stroke and the VTEC-valve timing, lift and duration were adjusted to 12.2 mm|11.2 mm (intake|exhaust). Honda also overhauled the air box and replaced it with a more efficient design that is often referred to as Dynamic Chambering, along with an increased throttle body design bored to 62 mm (as opposed to the previous 60 mm). The exhaust system also was treated to a redesign as well, where the pipe design became a more cylindrical shape rather an oval shape. The 3-way catalytic converter was also increased in size, as well as the exhaust piping from 50.8 mm (2.00 in) to 57 mm (2.25 in) (tToV). With the increased power output, the suspension was equally enhanced with 15 inch front ventilated discs and 14 inch rear discs. The fifth gen. curb weight was 1,310 kg (2,882 lb) and had a ground clearance of 0.14 m (5.5 in.). Unlike the SiR S-spec that had an LSD, the Type S acquired the technology from Honda that is known as the Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS) (other terms that may be seen elsewhere that may come up are: DYCS [direct yaw control system], active yaw control system, Active Electronic Limited Slip Differential [misnomer.]) The gearing on the Type S matches all other fifth-generation Preludes that had a manual transmission except for the 5-speed 2.2 VTi VTEC and had a FD: 4.266. The Type S had an Active Control ABS system, different from the others which had the standard ABS systems. The interior featured leather laced with red stitching. Manufacturer styling options including seat lettering. The exterior styling of fifth generation Preludes was standardized for most models. All had a sunroof except for the Type S model.

There was only one other car that housed the H-series, and it would be the last of its kind until the presentation of the K-series. The Accord Type R/Rx/Torneo (or the JDM version of the name more commonly known as the Honda Accord Euro R / Torneo Euro R) housed the last line of a more refined H-series motor, which lasted from around 1998 to 2002, until the exterior was revamped and the K-series was introduced.

The USDM fifth-generation Preludes also saw enhancements in the engine, with the full line now offering VTEC H22A4 engines, an evolution of the H22A1 with higher flowing heads, making 195 hp (198 PS, 143 kW) @ 7000 rpm and 156 lb·ft (21.8 kg·m, 212 N·m) @ 5250 rpm from 1997 to 1999, and the same torque readings with 200 hp (203 PS, 147 kW) @ 7000 rpm from 1999 to 2001 with a compression ratio of 10.0:1. The USDM fifth-generation had a Type SH ("Super-Handling") trim which featured the Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS), and, along with the 5-speed base model, shared the exact same gearing from the Type S and SiR-S spec trims in Japan (in which the Type SH transmission is the exact same as the Type S.) This system allowed Honda to overcome the limitations of front wheel drive somewhat, and in 1997, Car and Driver named the Prelude Type SH the "best-handling car under $30,000."
Old 11-30-2006 | 10:50 PM
where is....

hopefully ill be leaving soon, i just put my car onsale for $6,000 with 123k
Old 11-30-2006 | 10:58 PM
Drifting

I hope you took the headlight and taillight tint off first...
Old 11-30-2006 | 11:12 PM
where is....

umm tail light tint is still on....its actually not as dark as the pictures
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:03 AM
almost done...

damn were losin CL's left and right.
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:56 AM
I

Don't go with the SH if you plan on modding the car past 250hp. The ATTS doesn't like anything past that number and will prove worthless at that point.
Old 12-01-2006 | 06:14 AM
Bagel Bomber

Originally Posted by sixfifty
Don't go with the SH if you plan on modding the car past 250hp. The ATTS doesn't like anything past that number and will prove worthless at that point.
I think theres a whole forum of guys over on preludeonline.com that might beg to differ with you.
Old 12-01-2006 | 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ and a whole group of ppl that will side with him. i have been hearing the same things.

my best friend just bought a 01 prelude 5MT (EBP) with 30K.

buy it, its a fun car, you'll never look back.

by the way whats wrong with auction cars. most cars on used car dealer lots are from auctions.

i work at used cars for a honda dealershiop. how do you think we get half our cars???
Old 12-01-2006 | 09:30 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

yeah i heard the same about the SH. i wanted a prelude, and was told that the SH is not that great to mod with.
Old 12-02-2006 | 02:41 AM
Racer

hmm not sure if i want to mod it. its fast enough! haha 195-200hp! gonna check out the car tmr..lets see what happens. i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-02-2006 | 04:02 AM
almost done...

hmm not sure if i want to mod it. its fast enough! haha 195-200hp! gonna check out the car tmr..lets see what happens. i'll keep you guys updated.
nothing will ever be "fast enough"
Old 12-02-2006 | 05:38 AM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by suremang
nothing will ever be "fast enough"
agreed.
Old 12-02-2006 | 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

agreed.
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:51 AM
Racer

just curious..do any of you guys know of any prelude forums?

i checked out preludeonline.com but they are dumb cuz they charge a fee of $6 per year....i thought forum were suppose to be ppl helping ppl out..so more ppl the better, but this forum seems to limit ppl...
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:58 AM
contrarian in fashion

agreed.
damn... and this comming from you with the worlds fastest 1st gen CL! LOL
Old 12-03-2006 | 06:12 AM
Turtle Charged, Biotcch!!

Originally Posted by PimpCL23
damn... and this comming from you with the worlds fastest 1st gen CL! LOL

i thought that the world's fastest CL has air ride suspension and lambo door , and it belongs to this dude:

Snap!, Crackle!, & Pop!

jk lol

I agree, it's never "fast enough"....
Old 12-03-2006 | 09:23 AM
Instructor

just curious..do any of you guys know of any prelude forums?

i checked out preludeonline.com but they are dumb cuz they charge a fee of $6 per year....i thought forum were suppose to be ppl helping ppl out..so more ppl the better, but this forum seems to limit ppl...
www.preludepower.com I think it's the best one out there. Especially for 3rd and 5th gens.

I've wanted and loved the prelude ever since I was really young. I've been on a few different prelude sites for years and preludepower is simply my favorite. I still love the car but couldn't find a decent one in my price range, so I got the CL.

A 5th gen. lude is great especially if it's a 5spd. The biggest problem with 5th gens. is the Sportshift auto transmission.

Most people agree that if you don't want more of a headache when modding, go with the Base model. If your going to keep it under about 250 hp or your gonna keep it stock and enjoy handling, then go with the SH for the ATTS.

Originally Posted by 972xghost
by the way whats wrong with auction cars. most cars on used car dealer lots are from auctions.

i work at used cars for a honda dealershiop. how do you think we get half our cars???
We just traded in my dad's odyssey yesterday there for an accord V6.
Old 12-03-2006 | 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

was it the sage 03?? pretty dirty with a staten island resident sticker on the rear driver side window. like 25K
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 972xghost
was it the sage 03?? pretty dirty with a staten island resident sticker on the rear driver side window. like 25K
It's a silver 05. We traded it in yesterday. It was dirty as hell because there was no point in cleaning it for the trade-in.

Quick Reply: i might be leaving...