Suggestions: 98 acura cl fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestions: 98 acura cl fog lights

Hi, im new to this forum and ive been reading threads about fog lights... i have been getting really frustrated because i read that they dont make oem fog lights anymore. BTW, my car does not have fog lights. I have a 98 acura cl 2.3 basic, not premium package. I have been trying to get some fog lights the easiest way but will include something nice. I also have so many questions that is in my head and i feel stressed out thinking about it. Which one is better? As of right now, I have reflectors for low beams 8K HID... so this is what i want for my fogs. Also i dont know where to get the button/switch for the on/off..where can i get it? or maybe something that can replace that switch in that little switch hole?

1. HID set, not halogen. I want it to be bright and far. Im thinking 3K fogs.
2. Reflectors or projectors? Im not sure...any suggestions? i heard projector fogs dont match with reflector headlight..
3. A round lamp? maybe. hopefully. haha
4. MOST OF ALL!!!, i dont know if this is possible, but Ive seen some other peoples car fog light creates a super long line on the floor on the left and the right side of the car on the road. the line goes like 1-2 lanes length on left and 1-2 lanes length on right side of the fogs. Thats the biggest thing i love. So hopefully i can get those?

PS: Also i dont know where to get the button/switch for the on/off..where can i get it? or maybe something that can replace that switch in that little switch hole?

Hopefully the fogs can look like something like these 2, just maybe.. i know the 2nd link is a 2nd gen CL so i dunno.. :\

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...1/100_0191.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/_MG_2352.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sorry, I got these from lippstuh and thefunk101.. i hope you guys dont mind ^^"

SORRY FOR SO MANY QUESTIONS! Im new and i havent really learned how to use this forum yet. Hopefully you guys can give me some suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. There's a vendor on this site located at HIDEXTRA.COM, and on their sub-forum they offer promo codes for discounted prices here at AZine. I'm sure there are many other vendors that others would recommend, but these guys got great customer service and fair prices.

3K HID's for fogs look really nice with the bluer kinds of HID's. Shnee installed his not TOO long ago. He might be able to answer some of your questions if he chimes in, but here's his thread on his installed fogs:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-photograph-gallery-57/extremely-camera-happy-new-fogs-764694/

4. I think the effect is from projectors? But I'm not sure.

As far as the switch goes, you can purchase them on ebay, you could probably find em cheaper, this was just a quick look over:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-9...#ht_1859wt_939

The switch installs into either the opposite side of your hazard button, or where there should be a heated seat on the passenger side I believe. I never remember, as it is questioned so much. It's different depending on year.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
The first pic is the oem fogs, you can also try 98-02 accord fogs as they are a similar design and shape. They definitely don't make the OEM acura ones any more, but you can still find them if you look hard enough, but they are expensive around $200 or so. As for the fog button, I just went to a honda dealer and got a fog switch for a 94-97 Accord when I lost my switch, and it fits perfectly. That second gen pic is definitely projectors which is what I'm doing for my fog lights. You really can do any fog you want as they're pretty much all universal, but you'll only get that output from a projector, that pic he actually used headlight projectors in his fog housings, and that's how you get the cutoff line is with a headlight projector with a cut off line. 3000K yellow is very popular and looks pretty good, I went for all blue/white HID myself.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
The first pic is the oem fogs, you can also try 98-02 accord fogs as they are a similar design and shape. They definitely don't make the OEM acura ones any more, but you can still find them if you look hard enough, but they are expensive around $200 or so. As for the fog button, I just went to a honda dealer and got a fog switch for a 94-97 Accord when I lost my switch, and it fits perfectly. That second gen pic is definitely projectors which is what I'm doing for my fog lights. You really can do any fog you want as they're pretty much all universal, but you'll only get that output from a projector, that pic he actually used headlight projectors in his fog housings, and that's how you get the cutoff line is with a headlight projector with a cut off line. 3000K yellow is very popular and looks pretty good, I went for all blue/white HID myself.
Blackack, thanks for trying to reply to me, but everything is thinking im talking about the cut off line which im not..lol. the cutoff line, from what i understand, is the line you get when u face your car in front of a wall and it makes a straight line, thats a cut off line. The line im talking about that comes from the fog light is on the floor right besides the car. Ive seen it from other cars that has 6K HID for fogs and on the floor, it creates a super long line left and right of the car. it basically looks like an airplane wing ^__^ haha. i dont know what thats called but its lovely. As for the fog button, If i went to a dealer and asked him for it, how much would they charge me usually? Also about the fog lamp, i understand that it is hard to get it and it will be expensive. Thats why i want to get any okay looking ones that will fit my car.. ive been looking at universal ones too. Even for universal, is cutting some of the grille necessary? :\ i really prefer not to cut my grille ><
Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kyanite
1. There's a vendor on this site located at HIDEXTRA.COM, and on their sub-forum they offer promo codes for discounted prices here at AZine. I'm sure there are many other vendors that others would recommend, but these guys got great customer service and fair prices.

3K HID's for fogs look really nice with the bluer kinds of HID's. Shnee installed his not TOO long ago. He might be able to answer some of your questions if he chimes in, but here's his thread on his installed fogs:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764694

4. I think the effect is from projectors? But I'm not sure.

As far as the switch goes, you can purchase them on ebay, you could probably find em cheaper, this was just a quick look over:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-9...#ht_1859wt_939

The switch installs into either the opposite side of your hazard button, or where there should be a heated seat on the passenger side I believe. I never remember, as it is questioned so much. It's different depending on year.
Thanks for replying to my thread. The link you gave me for the button is pretty expensive.. :\ is there one that is similar or will just as well but wayy cheaper? I mean i know you get what you pay for but i think charging almost 40 bucks for a button sounds ridiculous. As far as the link that leads to a different thread, I like Shnee's fog lights, if i were to choose that, im okay with it. Since i am new to the forum, Im limited from PMing people and what not. :\
Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by xtimxmayyx
Blackack, thanks for trying to reply to me, but everything is thinking im talking about the cut off line which im not..lol. the cutoff line, from what i understand, is the line you get when u face your car in front of a wall and it makes a straight line, thats a cut off line. The line im talking about that comes from the fog light is on the floor right besides the car. Ive seen it from other cars that has 6K HID for fogs and on the floor, it creates a super long line left and right of the car. it basically looks like an airplane wing ^__^ haha. i dont know what thats called but its lovely. As for the fog button, If i went to a dealer and asked him for it, how much would they charge me usually? Also about the fog lamp, i understand that it is hard to get it and it will be expensive. Thats why i want to get any okay looking ones that will fit my car.. ive been looking at universal ones too. Even for universal, is cutting some of the grille necessary? :\ i really prefer not to cut my grille ><
lemme understand this straight. you want a certain amount of light going to other people's lanes? for me my projectors do that. and cutting your grille. unless you have a grille in that portion that shouldn't be a problem.

here is hybridnrg's old setup.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asianspec
lemme understand this straight. you want a certain amount of light going to other people's lanes? for me my projectors do that. and cutting your grille. unless you have a grille in that portion that shouldn't be a problem.

here is hybridnrg's old setup.

thanks for replying asianspec. Yes, The fog light creates this. Ive seen it on my friends 09 TSX but he said some fog lights do that too. that light is bascally a straight line from fog and it creates a like a super long line that is approximately 1-2 lane worth to the left and 1-2 lane worth to the right. Basically, its like a straight 180 degree line and the car is the middlepoint. LOL. ive only seen HID 6k do that because its a white ish straight line. Does your fog do that? If yes, what kind of fogs are you using?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

asianspec, do you have a pic of ur fog light on? i wanna see if thats the light im talking about. lol and i really really wish to not cut my grille. Shnee's fog light seems to barely fit and he didnt need to cut his grille. He nudged it in there. i think the diameter without cutting my grille is probably 2.25-2.5 inch :\
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

i actually don't have fogs. i have retrofitted TSX projectors.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

hmm i think youre also thinking of the cut off line. haha i know the projector produces a big amount of light to other peoples lane too but im not referring to that. Im talking about the fog light. I dont know if its projector or reflector that does that.. but im 100% sure its HID..about 6K though.. Its on the floor. gah. its hard to explain. i wish i can draw it out. Is there like a drawing option here? :\
Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

i actually don't have fogs. i have retrofitted TSX projectors.

im talking about the fogs and read my previous post? lol. gah i suck at posting. too new at this :\
Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

lol use MSpaint. save it then post it here.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

lol use MSpaint. save it then post it here.
LOL thats smart but i am horrible. but ill try. bbl in 5 mins. gonna draw stick figures. x]
Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

asianspec do u know if hybrids fogs were 94-95's? Im trying to get those exact fogs i dont think the 96-97's will work- so ive heard. He didnt make a write up on these by any chance did he?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

So thats what im trying to explain. That blue thick long line is the one thats on the floor. its long and it looks like airplane wings imo. lOL
Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

he didn't do a DIY from my knowledge. just pm him since he still comes here from time to time.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

So thats what im trying to explain. That blue thick long line is the one thats on the floor. its long and it looks like airplane wings imo. lOL
i see what you mean. but i haven't seen fogs do that.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

i see what you mean. but i haven't seen fogs do that.
yea i havent seen a lot of that too but i have seen a few. one that ive seen for sure is my friends tsx. it does that and ive seen a few more on the street. thats what i want. but if thats not possible, i dont mind getting any other fogs. i looked at shnee's fog light from the thread that kyanite linked me. if i cant find anything, i guess ill get those. what were the shroud covering u and shnee were talking about that was covering the projo body? o.O
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't understand how a light that is facing forward would shoot to the side parallel like that. Are you sure its not some other light on the side of the car pointing straight out that way? I have never seen fog lights be able to put light in front of you and also straight out to the side also
Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

It's probably projo low beams angled lower, and more horizontal to the left or right depending upon which headlight it is. I don't think I've seen fogs output that much light in that direction, unless they stuck out really far from the bumper and were angled at like 90 degrees AND had another pair of fogs next to those facing forward. I honestly have no idea haha.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah thats what I was trying to say, I don't see how one light can have a beam of light forward and out to the side at that angle at the same time
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kyanite
It's probably projo low beams angled lower, and more horizontal to the left or right depending upon which headlight it is. I don't think I've seen fogs output that much light in that direction, unless they stuck out really far from the bumper and were angled at like 90 degrees AND had another pair of fogs next to those facing forward. I honestly have no idea haha.
well i dont think its projo low beam. my friend didnt have that on his tsx before and after he installed HID to his fog, it does that. its so nicee. and ive seen it in like 3 other cars. its really nice. But i guess it could be possible that im wrong and be like some side marker light or something but i cant think of side marker light could make such a line like that. even my friend that has that on his car told me its his fogs. :\
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by P0401
yeah thats what I was trying to say, I don't see how one light can have a beam of light forward and out to the side at that angle at the same time
well theres not a lot of light forward but it creates a really really long line on both side of the road. its sickkk
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine do that. good luck with that one though, lol.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh and if you want to see better, 4300k in your low beams ftw. my fogs are 3000k. got em both off ebay.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davzilla
mine do that. good luck with that one though, lol.

WAIT! your car does that straight line on both side of your car from your fogs? is there a name for that? What do you mean good luck with that? Does that usually come from projector or reflector? please explain
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Intermediate

Also i saw a subaru drive by tonight and he has like 6k low beam and 6k fog and his car creates that long line on the left and right side of his car too. <3 how do they do that?!?! i want my fogs to do that when i get fogs. :\
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Intermediate

OHH. i guess this is a pic that can almost look like it. it makes more sense if u look at it from the back of the car when those fogs are on.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...lights-006.jpg

it makes a straight line from left to right side of the car. from the back, it looks sick. i guess i can say its similar to that. are those projectors or reflectors? fosho its HID prolly 6k... Although it doesnt really show the long line from left and right side of the car, in the back it probably does. The output is like a straight line.. or 180 degrees line. maybe it makes more sense? haha
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Intermediate

http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...z/CIMG0426.jpg

^^^^^^^^^ EXACTLY LIKE THAT! the yellow fog light. that straight line on the left and the right side of the car but it looks so nice when its blueee. HOW can i do that? projector? reflector? suggestions? i spent hours trying to find a good picture to explain what the heck im talking about or else i sound retarded. x]
Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Intermediate

Heres one with a blue line on the left and right side of the car ---

http://i40.tinypic.com/jhbj1k.jpg

These are white line on the left and right side of the car ---

http://www.imagedumpwitheasy.com/uploads/2f0f1ef6f1.jpg

http://www.imagedumpwitheasy.com/uploads/dc68d369ba.jpg

Thats what i meant about the straight line left and right side of the car. it looks like a straight line. reminds me of an airplane. i love it! Although those are from a TSX thread that people post pictures up, is it possible i can get those FOGS? loving them. reflectors? projectors? obviously HID ^__^"
Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Burning Brakes

oh ok, that looks like they just have them aimed more down and its bouncing to the side. I guess any fog light would be able to do that if you aimed them on the ground not far in front of the car. I am also guessing that HID's would make the light brighter and go further to the side especially if they are made for regular bulbs and have the reflector behind them like the 1st gen CL headlights do
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
To me, all of the fog light pics I looked at look like projos. They're just pointed very low. That's why the line is right in front of the car. And I know my projos have a wider beam pattern than my halogens or HID's in halogen housings. So if you want wide, go projector.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Believe me, I know what a cut off line is, the only way you're going to get a spread from the fog lights is by using projectors for fog lights, the projectors project the light out and since they are curved, they help disperse the light out more evenly, all the pics you posted above are with some form of projector in the fog. I paid about $20 for the switch at the honda dealer, it was the cheapest i could find. You shouldn't have to cut into your bumper grille for most foglights, but you would for the oem ones for the 98-02 accord ones that look like the oem ones.

Thanks for replying to my thread. The link you gave me for the button is pretty expensive.. :\ is there one that is similar or will just as well but wayy cheaper? I mean i know you get what you pay for but i think charging almost 40 bucks for a button sounds ridiculous. As far as the link that leads to a different thread, I like Shnee's fog lights, if i were to choose that, im okay with it. Since i am new to the forum, Im limited from PMing people and what not. :\
Get the switch from the honda dealer, way cheaper.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

alright you guys, thanks a lot for your help! do you have any suggestion of what kind of fog projectors to get? im not rich or anything but i would love to have that airplane wing ;]
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

if you are going for a fog projector look. then its not cheap.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Werd. Projos ain't cheap. I thought I got a bargain being able to do my whole TSX projo setup for ~$400.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

That is a bargain for just headlights truthfully
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

dang 400 is pretty expensive. lawl. well do you guys have any links to where i could possibly get mine? i dont know if this will have that effect, but i was planning to maybe to get the one shnee has. the one from ijdm thats like 50 bucks. >_< will that work? also if i were to get a projector, my car doesnt come with a housing, i was just gonna mount a fog light in that small lil space on the grille. what happens when it rains or when i wash my car.. its gonna get a wet and soaked? wouldnt that damage it? Anything i can do to protect the fog lights and the wires? And as for the ballast and the bulb, is it better to get it at HIDExtra or DDM tuning? theyre about the same price but ive been hearing things about either one of them from different people. lol
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
That is a bargain for just headlights truthfully
Yeah, no kidding. That's why I jumped on them.

dang 400 is pretty expensive. lawl. well do you guys have any links to where i could possibly get mine? i dont know if this will have that effect, but i was planning to maybe to get the one shnee has. the one from ijdm thats like 50 bucks. >_< will that work? also if i were to get a projector, my car doesnt come with a housing, i was just gonna mount a fog light in that small lil space on the grille. what happens when it rains or when i wash my car.. its gonna get a wet and soaked? wouldnt that damage it? Anything i can do to protect the fog lights and the wires? And as for the ballast and the bulb, is it better to get it at HIDExtra or DDM tuning? theyre about the same price but ive been hearing things about either one of them from different people. lol
Adding everything up, they should've cost ~$600 just for parts, let alone assembly materials (silicone, etc). So to get them at 2/3 the cost, I was excited.

As for Shnee's setup, I'd talk to him. IIRC, he posted in the thread how he kept them weatherproof. As for wires, they're pretty tough. If you want to be really sure, you can get Tech Flex either on Ebay or from Parts Express and that'll keep them safe. Put some shrink wrap on the ends and not only will it look bad ass, but the wire will be nice and weatherproof too.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

The projector fog lights that I got to replace my oem ones came with a rubber seal over the back of the housing and the wires, they should be pretty waterproof. And yeah, $400 is cheap, I dumped well over a grand to get mine done

Quick Reply: Suggestions: 98 acura cl fog lights