changing dash light color?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 05:05 AM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing dash light color?

ok guys, here's a question for EVERYONE!!!! I recently bought the enw panasonic face with electric blue dotmatrix display. Its a great color and matches the neon under the seats perfectly! NOW, what to do next is change the color of the guages and temp. controlls from their stock green to a similar blue. ANYONE have suggestions or input on how to do this? THANKS GUYS!
Old 02-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Someone on the TL site has changed all of his lights to blue but it has cost him a lot of money and time. You need wide angle blue leds which are like 8 bucks a piece and very hard to find. He spent like 200 bucks i believe. You could change your buttons lights, (like the buttons that control the climate control and cruise control) but since the TL has green illumination behind the clock and climate control that illuminated the actual black digits as opposed to our green digits w/o illumination behind them so i dont think you can change this colors but i could be wrong. If you rip the guage cluster out you should be able to remove the green capped bulbs and maybe cap them blue. Hope this helps some
Old 02-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

U can buy the speed glo gauges im sellin !!! ($60 or cheaper) they are blue and can change them to green !!! Looks good Great i had them 4 like a week !! but it wasent my style !!!
Old 02-03-2002, 01:44 PM
No Too Fast, No Too Slow.

I will take pics of my dash this week, I changed all my lights on the dash where the gauges are and everyone liked it. Of course I went over the board, I put 1 amber, 1 red, 1 green, 2 blue, and 2 led blue, and where the lights meet it creates different colors...It looks phat, all my friends liked, including my girlfriend and her sister, and they are not into the fixing car stuff. About change them, it took me longer to decide the colors than taking out the dash and changing the bulbs...
Old 02-03-2002, 02:35 PM
AWD Torque Monster

blue indiglo gauges will be the best looking match and u can adjust them to match perfectly. plus ull have white face guages during the day. the funny thing is that all the stock bulbs in th ecar have blue condoms on but they appear teal. so when i got my gauges i had them set to blue, but when i switced to green i was amazed. THey match perfect!
Old 02-03-2002, 06:37 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AcUrAcl3.0
U can buy the speed glo gauges im sellin !!! ($60 or cheaper) they are blue and can change them to green !!! Looks good Great i had them 4 like a week !! but it wasent my style !!!
any pics? I could be interested
Old 02-04-2002, 12:06 AM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

okk guys, im a little dissappointed that no one has given me a direct answer....ima try and pull out the cluster and take alook at the bulbs.......i dont particularly like the look of white guages....so no thanks on the sale! Maybe if there was something that went with my white needles and was easy to read...but untill i find that im not fucking with my guage cluster....ill see what i can find out about those lights and inform all you guys later....and if anyone knows anything then post up PLAYA!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:55 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally posted by d5c5b
okk guys, im a little dissappointed that no one has given me a direct answer....ima try and pull out the cluster and take alook at the bulbs
Did you happen to read my post, seemed pretty direct to me
Old 02-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

okk guys, im a little dissappointed that no one has given me a direct answer....ima try and pull out the cluster and take alook at the bulbs.......i dont particularly like the look of white guages....so no thanks on the sale! Maybe if there was something that went with my white needles and was easy to read...but untill i find that im not fucking with my guage cluster....ill see what i can find out about those lights and inform all you guys later....and if anyone knows anything then post up PLAYA!
hey man if you find out let me know ! i wanna change mine to RED ! but i like style of original so dont wanna get an after market
Old 02-04-2002, 11:37 AM

take out the 2 screws in the inside top where the gauses are...take out the cruise control button and the dim light button, behind there are 2 more screws...now you can take out the front panel...next there are 4 more screws to unscrew(they are in the same location as the others) now by turning the cluster a little bit forward from the top take out the plugs. (no need to take out the whole cluster you can leave it in there) you can move it around to see the back of it ( now you can see all the little turn plugs where the bulbs are...(I used 194 and 168 color bulbs) the one that the cluster uses are 158 but they don't make them in color so, thats y I used those ( I will post pics tonight) there are 3 small bulbs...I painted them to give them a different look (worked fine) one of the small bulbs is located on the back but towards the top of the cluster on the fuel gause side and the other 2 are on the top towards the front. If you need more info let me know....hope this answer at least part of your question.....
Old 02-04-2002, 02:35 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

thans xtreme....ima print that out and get to work....how bout the climate controll cluster....think i should just rip out the radio and look up there to figure it out?.....THANKS MAN!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Speed Glo Pics !!!

http://www.street-beat.com/gauges1.html

Its the ones at the top of the page !!!!
Old 02-04-2002, 04:21 PM

thans xtreme....ima print that out and get to work....how bout the climate controll cluster....think i should just rip out the radio and look up there to figure it out?.....THANKS MAN!
I don't know I haven't checked that out but I will....I was thinking about doing that too. I haven't done it cuz I haven't had time but if I do it I'll let you know.....
Old 02-04-2002, 04:24 PM

Here are some pics of my crazy work...It looks better in real life...

Old 02-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Take out the radio, look on the underside of the climate control... theres 2 screws that go through a metal bracket into the bottom of the climate control... take these out and unplug the 2 harnesses from the bottom of the unit. Then you may want to take out the glove box, there is a screw up inside the dash near the glove box latch that goes into the wood trim, take that out. Then with the car warm inside (so you have less chance of breaking the wood) and the passenger door open, start by the door and pull at the trim, its held in by a bunch of metal clips in the dash... the whole thing will eventually pull off with the climate control attached to the back. You need to take the climate control unit off the wood trim, held on by 2 screws, then pull the climate control itself apart (where the white meets the black) its held together with clips and 2 screws. Theres 5 of those smaller bulbs inside like the ones on the top of the gauge cluster. You'll probably end up breaking a few of those clips that hold the wood trim on, but you can epoxy them back in place. If this isnt enough detail, email me and ill go into more depth and add some pictures to facilitate the removal.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:42 AM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

PRO details....thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 10:49 AM
What can I get ya?

You have to take off the wood trim and everything to get to the climate control? Damn!
Old 02-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by moforose3.0
You have to take off the wood trim and everything to get to the climate control? Damn!

Yeah, its not too bad of a job though... more of a pain in the ass than anything.