Anybody got extended warranty (aftermarket)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 04:42 PM
'97 CL 3.0 Black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got extended warranty (aftermarket)?

ppl,

i just got my 97 3.0 a few days ago and i know that the factory warranty is no good. anybody tried out any aftermarket warranties? are they any good?

thanx
Old 05-20-2002, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I just bought a '97 2.2CL with 39720 miles and spent 1 week searching/reading about extended warranties. I settled on WarrantyGold Platinum plan with $0 deductible. 48 months/48000 additional miles. $1200. This plan covers all items except normal wear items. Contact Chris Cain at ccain@warrantygold.com and tell him Kevin Gallatin told you about his plan. I spent some time comparing and this was the best I could come up with for what I wanted. This is their most expensive plan also. let me know what you decide upon. I know right off I will need to use it to replace a window regulator - can't use the plan until 30 days/1000 miles after initiating the plan. Acura quoted me $478 to replace the regulator. Email me with any questions but I am sure Chris can answer more thoroughly. BTW, it doesn't take much to use $1200 in auto repairs.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Everybody Wang Chung

I had one on my old car then the company I got it from went out of buisness.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

No

I was offered the Extended Warranty, but never took it and my warranty expired in November. So far, I'm glad I didn't take it because I haven't had any problems with the car. I would use the money on something else
Old 05-20-2002, 09:28 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I agree with Miner.

BTW, Miner, are you a fellow UTEP alum?

I bought a plan from Warranty Gold as well, but I got an even better plan. I bought the Diamond plan, which covers wear and tear items such as the thermostat and brake pads. Lucky me! My plan costs $1457 and I have an additional 5 years and 100,000 miles, bring my coverage to 9 years and 150,000 total miles. I just bought mine last week, when my CL had 49, 817 miles on it, so I am covered until 149,817 miles on the odometer. My rep was Amy Sparks, and she will even offer you a 0% financing package for your plan if you don't have the cash all at once. Sounds sweet, and it was the best deal going. I also spent about 10 days comparing plans, this company had the best deals and most comprehensive coverage.

There is another company who will offer you a warranty up to 60,000 miles on your car, but their plan was a little more expensive and didn't cover normal wear and tear items, which is a big plus for me.

I hope this helps you, but if you want to do the leg work yourself, start a google search and type in "aftermarket automotive warranty"
Old 05-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

has any of you actuall use the warranty?? and how does it work, we take it to fix anywhere we want ?? or do they have a particular place we got to take it to?
Old 05-21-2002, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dajuice27
I agree with Miner.

BTW, Miner, are you a fellow UTEP alum?

I bought a plan from Warranty Gold as well, but I got an even better plan. I bought the Diamond plan, which covers wear and tear items such as the thermostat and brake pads. Lucky me! My plan costs $1457 and I have an additional 5 years and 100,000 miles, bring my coverage to 9 years and 150,000 total miles. I just bought mine last week, when my CL had 49, 817 miles on it, so I am covered until 149,817 miles on the odometer
Unless you bought the 5 year/150,000 plan (which I don't think they have), this isn't the case. The years of the plan always start from the day you buy it, so a 5-year warranty would expire 5 years from the day you bought it. However, the mileage *always* starts from 0, regardless of when you bought the policy. So if you bought the 5 year/100,000 mile program (which I believe you did), it will expire 5 years from now *or* when the car reaches 100,000 miles (which would be in 50,000 more miles). They don't add the 100,000 on top of your mileage now. I know, because I also have a Diamond plan from WarrantyGold. They are definitely the best one available now, but just make sure you are familiar with the fine print. Oh, and it also doesn't cover wear items like brake pads. Thermostat, yes. Brake pads (wiper blades, spark plugs, light bulbs, etc), no.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Actually I attened Univ. Of Mo. - Rolla (Missouri School of Mines). MY plan did add the miles (48000) to my existing miles - Plan starts @ 38720 miles ends at 87720 - written right on the contract. So you need to be careful when asking about plans/mileage and be sure you understand how it is worded. You can take your car to any ASC certified mechanic, they call WarrantyGold for approval for repairs, WG gives them a CC# to charge repair to. That simple.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:05 AM

Pianoman,

From what I was told, the plan starts from the day you purchased it and the accumulated miles from that point, hence the 5 years and additional 100K miles added to the 4 years and 49,817 miles
I had already driven on the car. I'll read the fine print, because if it isn't exactly what I was led to believe, then I'll get my money back. But I am positive that I cleared that point up with Amy and her manager about the exact terms in my warranty, otherwise I would not have purchased the warranty.

Makes no difference to me just yet, but I will check to make sure all things are legit and to my liking.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Have you checked into the extended warranty plans from Acura? You wouldn't have to worry about them going out of business or fixing things with substandard parts...

On the other hand, Acuras are so rock-solid reliable that any kind of extended warranty is probably unnecessary. You're paying money, betting that something will go wrong. Maybe take the money you WOULD have spent on an extended warranty, put it in a short-term CD or something, spend it on repairs if something happens, and otherwise you'll have made some money after a few years!
Old 05-21-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Iceman
Have you checked into the extended warranty plans from Acura? You wouldn't have to worry about them going out of business or fixing things with substandard parts...

On the other hand, Acuras are so rock-solid reliable that any kind of extended warranty is probably unnecessary. You're paying money, betting that something will go wrong. Maybe take the money you WOULD have spent on an extended warranty, put it in a short-term CD or something, spend it on repairs if something happens, and otherwise you'll have made some money after a few years!
Obviously, you missed the whole topic and debate about how faulty our transmissions are, and yes that goes for the 3.0 as well.

A CD would get you jack shit if your shit blew up Friday night 600 miles away from home and with some peoples luck, I'd take my chances on a gamble for a small price to pay for some reassurance. Besides, to all of you people with bad habits, this equates to 500 packs of cigarrettes or cups of nasty ass Starbucks coffee, neither of which I use! I figure If I am going to "blow" my money, I would like to think that I could get something for it later, a warranty gives me that possibility.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:18 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My extended warranty paid for itself with just 4 bad window regulators!

If my tranny is gonna blow, I hope it does so before the warranty runs out.

I think it's time to test the 75-shot (or go up to a 100-shot)! :P
Old 05-21-2002, 11:46 PM
'97 CL 3.0 Black

holy crap!!

i called WarrantyGold today and they told me that the car mileage is over their limit at 70,000...currently i have 85,400 on the engine....sux!!
Old 05-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally posted by dajuice27
Obviously, you missed the whole topic and debate about how faulty our transmissions are, and yes that goes for the 3.0 as well.

A CD would get you jack shit if your shit blew up Friday night 600 miles away from home and with some peoples luck, I'd take my chances on a gamble for a small price to pay for some reassurance. Besides, to all of you people with bad habits, this equates to 500 packs of cigarrettes or cups of nasty ass Starbucks coffee, neither of which I use! I figure If I am going to "blow" my money, I would like to think that I could get something for it later, a warranty gives me that possibility.
Yes, I guess I did miss that debate. I know the new TL is having tranny problems, but I have never heard of a first-gen CL (manual or auto) having tranny problems.

An extended warranty (like the CD I recommended) will also do you jack shit in the scenario you described. You're going to have to put the repair on your credit card and get reimbursed either way, right?

Extended warranties, as I said earlier, are basically people betting that their car is going to break. Why do you think companies even OFFER extended warranties? It's because they make money on them--more often than not, they take your money up front and pay nothing later. I don't blame anyone who wants the security blanket of an extended warranty, but I'd prefer to bet on the reliability of my car rather than hoping something will fail so that I can get my money's worth.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

I tend to disagree...I have had 5 extended warranties all for Honda products. They have all more than paid for themselves.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Iceman

An extended warranty (like the CD I recommended) will also do you jack shit in the scenario you described. You're going to have to put the repair on your credit card and get reimbursed either way, right?

Actually, the WarrantyGold program pays up front. Many of the other companies make you pay with a credit card and then once they agree the claim is covered under the warranty, they reimburse you. But WarrantyGold pays the repair facility right then and there over the phone with a corporate credit card. No money at all out of pocket on my part--one of the main reasons I went with WarrantyGold. Plus I can repair it where *I* want, not where they tell me. So I can keep going to the same Acura dealer I go to now, once the OEM warranty expires.