9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlke
I just got off the phone with ACR and basically I was advised they will always backup the dealer's diagnose. If the dealer is saying there's nothing can be done, then there's nothing that can be done. If the dealer says the transmission is operating within normal standard then it is operating within normal standard. The only thing I can do is to bring it to another dealership to have them take a look but if they say the same thing then all I can do is continue to observe the behavior. ACR said he's also going to be calling the service manager to see why he told me to contact Honda for suggestions on how to fix the issue because it's the dealership that controls it.

This is beyond frustrating. If I bring it to another dealer and they are giving me the same run around saying the transmission is working as intended or there's no further updates, what can I possibly do at this point. Is there another department I can contact cause this is ridiculous.
Ask the dealer and ACR if this transmission is operating within "normal standard", then why did the change the "normal standard" behavior so drastically in the 2016 model?

Ask ACR: "given that Acura has issued multiple TSBs, including 4 versions of 15-040 attempting to change this "normal standard" behavior and failed, how is this anything but a basic "design and/or manufacturing" issue?"

Maybe on more question for ACR: "so you are telling me that Acura designed a transmission that got the TLX placed at #17 on Consumer Reports Worst 20 Cars list on purpose?"

How can ACR point at dealer to fix a design issue? Given that some or most issues have been resolved with 2016 version, Acura engineering know exactly what the issue is and what they had to do to resolve it. And the resolution took more than a software change.

#FixMyTLX9speed
Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Do we have any concrete evidence that the transmission of the 2016 has actually changed? Was there some report that says the internal components were altered by ZF or Acura themselves?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So ACR called me back after speaking with the service manager at my dealership. Basically long story short, he agrees with the service manager. The service manager said they done all that they could and nothing else can be done. My transmission is working under normal specification. I brought up the points RGP mentioned above but all the ACR said was if I don't like it, bring it to another dealer. That is my ONLY choice and basically if the other dealer says the same thing, there's nothing left for me to do. There's nothing the service manager and his team will do for me as all the updates have been applied. Unless my car gets worst then they'll look at the next step. They refuse to try anything else at the moment because my car is magically working under normal specification, even though I brought the car in to have the transmission fixed multiple time and it was never completely fixed.

I asked what ACR what is consider normal specification and is there something in writing and he said there's nothing in writing and it's what the service manager says because he's the expert. I asked if they could look into the hardware if software can't fix the problem and the answer was no. This is complete bs, how can they say they have tried ALL that they could when all they've done was on the software side. I have such huge regrets right now with this car. It was my mistake to buy it out instead of leasing.

Has anyone gotten tried pushing further? What would be the next step?

Last edited by Vlke; 11-26-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
So what ever happened to the class action lawsuit?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vlke
So ACR called me back after speaking with the service manager at my dealership. Basically long story short, he agrees with the service manager. The service manager said they done all that they could and nothing else can be done. My transmission is working under normal specification. I brought up the points RGP mentioned above but all the ACR said was if I don't like it, bring it to another dealer. That is my ONLY choice and basically if the other dealer says the same thing, there's nothing left for me to do. There's nothing the service manager and his team will do for me as all the updates have been applied. Unless my car gets worst then they'll look at the next step. They refuse to try anything else at the moment because my car is magically working under normal specification, even though I brought the car in to have the transmission fixed multiple time and it was never completely fixed.

I asked what ACR what is consider normal specification and is there something in writing and he said there's nothing in writing and it's what the service manager says because he's the expert. I asked if they could look into the hardware if software can't fix the problem and the answer was no. This is complete bs, how can they say they have tried ALL that they could when all they've done was on the software side. I have such huge regrets right now with this car. It was my mistake to buy it out instead of leasing.

Has anyone gotten tried pushing further? What would be the next step?
What is the point of having ACRs if they can't do anything except backup the dealer service manager?

This is my 10th Honda/Acura product and if they don't make this right it will be the last.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kchemist
Ok guys I have a question, now I can see more and more people starting get transmission replaced. How serious is the issue, I have a TLX which had 38 and 40 applied and everytime I start driving for the first 15 min or so I have a slight delay in 2-3 shift ( I can feel the shift 2-3 not harsh but can bare). But after 15 min or so it disappears.) But one day I had a major issue on freeway where I changed the lane and there was a big 18 wheeler speeding up behind me and he doenst have enough distance to slow it down. So I pressed the accelerator and to my surprise it took good 2-3 seconds for car to move. Lucky for me truck was able to slow down by the time I got accelerate, but it was a narrow escape. So my question is those who have hard shift issue does it tend to disappear with 15 min or so driving?
I have a new development, recently I passed 1000 miles and I changed my driving style after 1000 miles. Went to my normal way and I dont find hard shift for even 2 min now. I think thats almost normal. So I doubt I will be able to convince the dealer for a new transmission.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
UPDATE: last Friday was in for an Oil change; long story short; A NEW technician, test drove my vehicle; he transferred from Chevy Chase Acura; did the requisite laptop connections, & voila, my ZF 9 speed, works better than new
Mind you, this was after ALL the previous software updates, etc.
I don't know exactly what he did, but if it stays this way, I'll LOVE my SH-AWD/TLX /Tech.
I know it's only 3 days, but it NEVER drove like this before.
Maybe some tech's are better than others
I'll report back next month, or sooner, if something falters.
Anyway, couldn't be happier; car accelerates like it should; especially, in the higher gears; no more having to "floor" the accelerator, to downshift
1-2, & 2-3, are now normal shifts, with very little lag
Car drives MUCH better
Lets hope it lasts
Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
He didn't do the relearn, did he? I have the official name of it that was on my invoice a few pages back. If it's the relearn, temper your expectations.....

And if it wasn't the relearn, can you post what it was officially called on your paperwork?

Edit: mine was called, "teach in / clear and relearn torque idle learn"

Last edited by 1Louder; 11-30-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:31 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

The re-learn was done 4 months ago; Don't have an official diagnosis; I put in a call to my Service Manager, for an explanation. I'll let you know what he says
Old 11-30-2015, 12:44 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: My Technician, Wesley, just told me the procedures he used to fix my tranny
Make sure engine idle, is exact Acura spec, otherwise, the shifts are "hard"
He hooked up the HDS Acura computer, & did the Snapshots, which were sent to Acura engineering for perusal.
I'm now up to spec, & my vehicle drives like it should
GREAT job, WESLEY!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
UPDATE: My Technician, Wesley, just told me the procedures he used to fix my tranny
He hooked up the HDS Acura computer, & did the Snapshots, which were sent to Acura engineering for perusal.
GREAT job, WESLEY!
That's great news! Would it be too much to ask for you to upload a portion of your Work Order please? I just want to know the exact words used so that when I go do my first service, I can let them know what I want done.

thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:08 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Interestingly, enough, there is no technical explanation, on the worksheet
Wesley, explained it to me over the phone
Considering the last tech, kept the car 4 days, did all the SW updates, re-learn, etc., & it was worse, than before.
I'm holding my breath, that this fix is final
Old 11-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
GREAT job, WESLEY!
Hey I brought my car back to the dealer last friday and they did this procedure again and the shifts/throttle were the same still rough and slow. Do you think dealerships are not doing this correctly? could this be the fix for the lag and hard gear shifting or do we need a 2016 tranny? that's the million dollar question

Why can't these cars work like my base 2015 accord and my TSX lol get in drive no issue or worries.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
Hey I brought my car back to the dealer last friday and they did this procedure again and the shifts/throttle were the same still rough and slow. Do you think dealerships are not doing this correctly? could this be the fix for the lag and hard gear shifting or do we need a 2016 tranny? that's the million dollar question

Why can't these cars work like my base 2015 accord and my TSX lol get in drive no issue or worries.
My tranny is in for replacement. They've had the car for 6 days. I was told my car already had the "revised" transmission, but they were replacing it because they heard a noise in it they have never heard before. Go figure.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Robs252
My tranny is in for replacement. They've had the car for 6 days. I was told my car already had the "revised" transmission, but they were replacing it because they heard a noise in it they have never heard before. Go figure.
What date was your build?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Instructor

what date was your build?
10/14
Old 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by CPR
Interestingly, enough, there is no technical explanation, on the worksheet
Wesley, explained it to me over the phone
Considering the last tech, kept the car 4 days, did all the SW updates, re-learn, etc., & it was worse, than before.
I'm holding my breath, that this fix is final
How is your car holding up so far?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:15 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

So far, so good; basically, only drive the car on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, so we'll have to wait till Friday night, etc.
Last weekend had zero problems; including my MPG, went back to where it was before the updates.
After this weekend, I'll have a better idea, if it's permanenly fixed
Fingers XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CPR
So far, so good; basically, only drive the car on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, so we'll have to wait till Friday night, etc.
Last weekend had zero problems; including my MPG, went back to where it was before the updates.
After this weekend, I'll have a better idea, if it's permanenly fixed
Fingers XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
CPR...who is the dealer that did the service? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Acura of Brooklyn/Wesley was the technician; he's a pro, & the Service department, are good people
Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Return to Shop

Originally Posted by CPR
Acura of Brooklyn/Wesley was the technician; he's a pro, & the Service department, are good people
Taking mine in tomorrow for 14-025 timing belt noise and giving them a shot at the transmission issue again. I may tell them to call Wesley
Old 12-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Instructor

10/14
Are you located in Canada or US?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vlke
are you located in canada or us?
us
Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Styl1n

Just sent an email with all the screen shots from this forum, they contacted me and will be discussing my transmission issue. I may get lucky and have it changed out.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Just sent an email with all the screen shots from this forum, they contacted me and will be discussing my transmission issue. I may get lucky and have it changed out.
My car is still in the shop after 9 days. The replacement tranny they ordered arrived damaged. They will order another.
I asked the tech if my new transmission would be the same as the 2016, and he said no. That one is revised further.... We shall see
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Styl1n

My car is still in the shop after 9 days. The replacement tranny they ordered arrived damaged. They will order another.
I asked the tech if my new transmission would be the same as the 2016, and he said no. That one is revised further.... We shall see
Got my appointment tomorrow for the drop off, I guess they are going to analyze it. They will probably change it out for me, I sent them screen shots of the work order on this thread and the reviews of the updated tranny. They called me right away to take care of things. Let's see what happens in the am
Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Kuzdu, did you send to Acura Customer Relations? Or your local Service Dept?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by le^2
Kuzdu, did you send to Acura Customer Relations? Or your local Service Dept?
Hey Local service department, they responded pretty quick. i sent them an email and did screen shots with everyone saying their transmission is flawless and working great i also sent a screen shot of the work order in this thread. That probably opened up there eyes

heading in there at 7am tomorrow getting a loaner hopefully the outcome is good
Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Instructor

GL to you my dude, I tried the same with my dealer where I got the TLX from and no dice. Acura Canada really does not want to acknowledge any issues with this transmission. Talking with ACR is like running head first into a brick wall.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Instructor

GL to you my dude, I tried the same with my dealer where I got the TLX from and no dice. Acura Canada really does not want to acknowledge any issues with this transmission. Talking with ACR is like running head first into a brick wall.
That's pretty much the same issue I'm having. The ACR will always backup the dealer's diagnose even though we all know it's pure crap.

I got the K95 update at the dealership I brought the car from (terrible dealership by the way) about a month ago after forcing their hands by having an ACR call them to update it. The shifting problem is back after like 3 weeks.
I took my car to another dealership today and brought up the shifting problem. Right away they saw an update they can apply to the car..Guess what, it's the K95 update. So I told the service adviser that I already brought my car in for that update a month ago and he told me that from what he can see on his system, my car does not have the update. So K95 was updated on my car again today and the shifting once again got much better.

What I want to know is, if the updates can be applied more than once or did the initial dealership never updated by car but said they did. But if they didn't update the car, how much the shifts were more smooth when I got the car back from them? If they did do the update, why did the system at the other dealer say I need the update? I'm so confused..
Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Hey Local service department, they responded pretty quick. i sent them an email and did screen shots with everyone saying their transmission is flawless and working great i also sent a screen shot of the work order in this thread. That probably opened up there eyes

heading in there at 7am tomorrow getting a loaner hopefully the outcome is good
Was that the work order from post #823?

ACR called me - they are going to call my dealership and arrange for me to come back in. Might have some new info to contribute next week.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Styl1n

dropped my car off at the dealer and got a tlx v6 loaner 2015. it drives much better than mine and response and acceleration is great even in normal mode. It must be a late build it only has 180 miles on it. how can i check by the VIN number :19UUB2F37FA021134

Im thinking i will get a new tranny, i saw all of my emails and screen shots stapled to the work order lets see what happens
Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Was that the work order from post #823?

ACR called me - they are going to call my dealership and arrange for me to come back in. Might have some new info to contribute next week.
yup from 823
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
yup from 823

You are welcome.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Instructor

kuzdu, just open the driver door. there should be a vin sticker in the door jam and it'll state the month/year of the build.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Styl1n

kuzdu, just open the driver door. there should be a vin sticker in the door jam and it'll state the month/year of the build.
cool when i get home ill take a look at the build date, this car felt good like my 4GTL, strong acceleration and no gear hunting. step on the gas and it moves and no rough shifting.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
After having tsb 38 and 40 applied, the pronounced 2nd to 3rd shift is still there. Much better but annoying in stop and go traffic. Tranny is working within specs says the acura tech. Looks like its goodbye acura for me
Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mondster
After having tsb 38 and 40 applied, the pronounced 2nd to 3rd shift is still there. Much better but annoying in stop and go traffic. Tranny is working within specs says the acura tech. Looks like its goodbye acura for me
These guys slay me...Acura can't own up that "within spec" does not mean "works correctly" or "works as expected", unless the engineers intended to design and build an automatic transmission that shifts like a newbie driving a stick. My next question after mine gets out of the shop today will be: "do you have a spec that can be measured with an accelerometer that specs the amount of head-snap that is acceptable?"

Unbelievable.

#FixMyTLX9speed
Old 12-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by rgpolson
These guys slay me...Acura can't own up that "within spec" does not mean "works correctly" or "works as expected", unless the engineers intended to design and build an automatic transmission that shifts like a newbie driving a stick. My next question after mine gets out of the shop today will be: "do you have a spec that can be measured with an accelerometer that specs the amount of head-snap that is acceptable?"

Unbelievable.

#FixMyTLX9speed
if acura would of stuck with the 6speed this car would be amazing, but more gears better fuel economy is what the people want. i rather shift better with more power

dealer called the service manager and regional rep is testing the vehicle now. hopefully they pull the trigger and decide to replace
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (12-05-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Advanced

if acura would of stuck with the 6speed this car would be amazing, but more gears better fuel economy is what the people want. i rather shift better with more power

dealer called the service manager and regional rep is testing the vehicle now. hopefully they pull the trigger and decide to replace
Just got a call from the service rep. Had to have the 14-025 timing belt fix done and Acura wants them to drive the car, take some measurements apply a different update and then drive it again and take more measurements.

We'll see...

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3