TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by internalaudit
No wonder Acura/Honda is delaying the launch until late Summer. They've clued in on the beak and exhaust tips and will make adjustments so that most of us here will be elated.

Bravo Acura!
Fixed
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by EMAN2012
No matter how one feels about the appearance of the 4G, it has a unique look, an identity. It's hard to mistake it for anything else.
The Pontiac Aztek had a "unique" look and identity as well. We all know how much of a sales success that was...
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I've been reading on the responses a lot of you have towards the TLX. I dont think it's a bad car but it just doesn't spark an emotion anymore. There's no sport models in the Acura lineup. NONE. Accord has the Sport model. Civic has Si. 07-08 TL had Type S. Which all look better than their lower trim counterparts.
I saw the TLX production in blue at the NY Auto Show. It looks OK for me. It doesnt scream at me and say buy me unlike the 07-08 3G TL did.
The exterior of the Accord looks a bit bland to me. The Sport model improves it a bit. The LED strips under the headlights in the V6 trims looks tacky. Like they were an after thought. It reminds me a lot of the 2011 Audi A6 when they first added LED strips.

And ever since then (late 2010) manufacturers have thrown an LED strips under the headlights and it looks blah. BMW and Audi got more creative to hide the individual LED lights into plastic/acrylic designs that look nice/flow better.

With that said, I have not taken the TLX completely off the table as my next car. I have to test drive a real production model. Unfortunately, the driving dynamics and interior will have to really woe me to compensate for the toned down exterior.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
I've been reading on the responses a lot of you have towards the TLX. I dont think it's a bad car but it just doesn't spark an emotion anymore. There's no sport models in the Acura lineup. NONE. Accord has the Sport model. Civic has Si. 07-08 TL had Type S. Which all look better than their lower trim counterparts.
I saw the TLX production in blue at the NY Auto Show. It looks OK for me. It doesnt scream at me and say buy me unlike the 07-08 3G TL did.
The exterior of the Accord looks a bit bland to me. The Sport model improves it a bit. The LED strips under the headlights in the V6 trims looks tacky. Like they were an after thought. It reminds me a lot of the 2011 Audi A6 when they first added LED strips.

And ever since then (late 2010) manufacturers have thrown an LED strips under the headlights and it looks blah. BMW and Audi got more creative to hide the individual LED lights into plastic/acrylic designs that look nice/flow better.

With that said, I have not taken the TLX completely off the table as my next car. I have to test drive a real production model. Unfortunately, the driving dynamics and interior will have to really woe me to compensate for the toned down exterior.
I too hate the LEDs on the Accord. I think Angel Eyes on BMW, and Tick Mark on the Audi are the best in class. Followed by Mazda 3. Yes, a Mazda. They are one of the only car makers whose entire line up is a great looking bunch.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think Acura is in big trouble with this car. Just the fact that people are comparing the Accord in a favorable light to the TLX speaks volumes! Wouldn't it be nice if docboy was right and Acura was delaying to make last minute cosmetic changes... I doubt it
Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Just the fact that people are comparing the Accord in a favorable light to the TLX speaks volumes!
I know...it pains me to admit it but its hard to deny the facts....and for the difference in price, it makes it even more incredible. I am a HUGE Acura guy so this is not easy for me to say
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Racer

I think Acura is in big trouble with this car. Just the fact that people are comparing the Accord in a favorable light to the TLX speaks volumes! Wouldn't it be nice if docboy was right and Acura was delaying to make last minute cosmetic changes... I doubt it
At 32K you can get a fully loaded Accord Coupe with an V6 and 6MT and all the bells and whistles. TLX will be starting at 35k with blah......
Fabvsix (06-24-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
At 32K you can get a fully loaded Accord Coupe with an V6 and 6MT and all the bells and whistles. TLX will be starting at 35k with blah......
I expect you will know were that money goes, especially in NVH. It feels more premium. Depends what you value, I guess.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced

That's the whole point. Will the TLX show enough value to justify the price difference. I'm pretty sure when they designed the car they were not anticapeting people drawing comparissons to the Accord. That can't be a good thing so close to a new model release.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I expect you will know were that money goes, especially in NVH. It feels more premium. Depends what you value, I guess.
Well, isn't that whole point of Acura badge? Premium Honda. But, since the Accord of which this "premium" car is based of, why would I spend more money to get less options and less power?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Lexus IS350 looking pretty good...
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
But its highly unlikely that they will feel that much more "premium".. I think Acura shot themselves in the foot again making the car the way they did. They should never have to be worried about people actually going to the Accord over the TLX due to it having that much better value. They should be competing with Audi, BMW, Infiniti, ETC, NOT HONDA!
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
JT4 (05-15-2014), mylove4cars (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I test drive a 2015 WRX Limited with CVT and let me tell you that this car is a sports car. Going around corners was like driving on rails. Alot of power from the 2.0 engine. The CVT has setting that you could feel it shift either 6 speeds or 8 speeds. Inside was very nice also, nice upscale feeling. Led lights everywhere and just a nice overall car. Plus you could get this loaded car for about $31K.

Oh, don't forget that its AWD and a very good one at that.

Now, I have been driving Honda's and Acura's for the past 20 years and I may jump ship. This WRX made me have a big smile on my face.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by frainc
I test drive a 2015 WRX Limited with CVT and let me tell you that this car is a sports car. Going around corners was like driving on rails. Alot of power from the 2.0 engine. The CVT has setting that you could feel it shift either 6 speeds or 8 speeds. Inside was very nice also, nice upscale feeling. Led lights everywhere and just a nice overall car. Plus you could get this loaded car for about $31K.

Now, I have been driving Honda's and Acura's for the past 20 years and I may jump ship. This WRX made me have a big smile on my face.
Thanks for the info. I tried to test drive a 2015 WRX this weekend but the local dealership didn't have one in stock. I'm keeping my eye on the STI and will be keen to know if they release a hatch.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I think Acura will sell a ton of TLXs. The problem here is they are targeting the mainstream car buyer and more likely the Honda buyer that is looking to move up class. Most of those people will be fine and love the TLX. Acura has clearly written off the sport enthusiast. SH-SH-AWD on the RLX is a joke, varorware that will sell maybe a a dozen cars a month. If they wanted the enthusiast driver they would offer TLX Type-S with SH-AWD and do the same with RLX and ILX. We'll see if Acura having its own management and marketing team now will address that or be happy just selling to the average buyer. In their favor is the limited configs and colors means they will not be stuck with inventory of cars. There is not an offensive color in the line up. All very traditional mainstream colors and configs. I will bet they exceed their sales objectives.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
a35tl (05-07-2014), ggesq (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm pretty sure when they designed the car they were not anticapeting people drawing comparissons to the Accord.
People have been comparing the TL (usually unfavorably) to the Accord since dinosaurs ruled the Earth. As a previous owner of the Accord and TL, IMO there IS a difference between the 2 that is not obvious until you drive them. The materials, the handling, the overall feel - they ARE different. The TL was better.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4thaccord:
a35tl (05-07-2014), ggesq (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not disputing that the TLX will be of better quality and more fun to drive than the Accord, especially with the SH-AWD. The problem is in order for people to get their ass on the seat of the TLX, you need to have an exterior styling that still inspires passion.

For me, the Accord looks (at least on the exterior) sexier than the TLX. I am not replacing my TL with an Accord.....I will be replacing my RDX with the Accord.

I am still on teh fence as to what to replace my TL with....the TLX? another TL? an Audi? That is where I am struggling so much....
Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Hard to believe that I gave a double take on an Avalon today, but I did...what does that mean?? :-) I'm not at all a Toyota guy other than the 4Runner I once owned, but from a styling perspective they are doing some nice work. I never thought I would see the day when Acura styling was surpassed buy the appliance makers at Toyota. The rear fascia and exhaust tips are elegant but sporty and the wheels aren't terrible either.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I said the same thing last week!! I saw a white one and it was gorgeous! Maybe I should get castrated and move into a nursing home and call it quits! *lol*
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by internalaudit
No wonder Acura/Honda is delaying the launch until late Summer. They've clued in on the beak and exhaust tips and will make adjustments so that most of us here will be elated.

Bravo Acura!
Don't you wish Acura was smart enough to have their designers/engineers read through this forum? Maybe they do but just hate their employer for some reason.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Maybe I should get castrated and move into a nursing home and call it quits! *lol*
GASP!!!!!!!

Last edited by ostrich; 05-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.
weather (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jbawden
Hard to believe that I gave a double take on an Avalon today, but I did...what does that mean?? :-) I'm not at all a Toyota guy other than the 4Runner I once owned, but from a styling perspective they are doing some nice work. I never thought I would see the day when Acura styling was surpassed buy the appliance makers at Toyota. The rear fascia and exhaust tips are elegant but sporty and the wheels aren't terrible either.
I'm feeling somewhat the same - if you told me 10 years ago that I'd be even remotely interested in a KIA I'd say you are insane but I was next to one at a light (not sure what model) and all I could think was - I wish Acura could make a car as nice looking at the KIAs.

Last edited by boe_d; 05-07-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
I'm feeling somewhat the same - if you told me 10 years ago that I'd be even remotely interested in a KIA I'd say you are insane but I was next to one at a light (not sure what model) and all I could think was - I wish Acura could make a car as nice looking at the KIAs.
I don't mean to state the obvious, but the best way to solve that dilemma would be to buy a .... Kia.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
i guess we'll see even more of a sales drop in the 5th gen than the 4th gen sales drop was ..Or not really because this will be both buyers from the tsx and the tl it might just be balanced. Acura always did this only making a certain amount until they discontinue the model there cars were only made to test waters.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:17 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I don't mean to state the obvious, but the best way to solve that dilemma would be to buy a .... Kia.
The k900 is actually pretty bad azz.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
But the front of the new Avalon is horrible.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced

A new model should stir emotion. The right kind of emotion. The " I have to have" emotion. I don't feel that with the TLX. Yes Acura has abandoned the enthusiast! Most manufacturers market high performance models, even branding them with special designations. Mercedes has AMG' BMW has M, Audi has S & RS, even Lexus has F performance models. What does Acura have? Rediculous little mufler tips curling under the bumper....
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO!! You pretty much summed it up!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by frainc

I plan to test a new WRX soon, and if the trunk is large enough and it's reasonably quiet on the highway, I could see dumping my TSX for one in about a year. I considered one when I bought my TSX in 2009, but I didn't like the cheap interior, awful stereo, limited cargo space, and mushy steering.

As for the TLX, I think lots of the complaining on here is a little over the top. Yes, we're enthusiasts so we want a performance model, more power, MT, etc., but I think this car is going to be a hit for Acura for a number of reasons. If it is, and they're moving decent volume, then perhaps they'll be able to make room for performance variants in the lineup. They need to get the high volume models out there first; that's just good business, and the production efficiency of Acura's approach is one reason they can offer such good value. Let's hope it works, so Acura can make a business case for the more hard core models we crave!

Remember, the 6MT didn't show up on the 4G TL until after the first model year. I expect enthusiast-friendly features to creep into the TLX lineup over time in similar fashion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nedmundo:
ggesq (05-08-2014), mylove4cars (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Nedmundo....I respect your opinion and I agree that there is lots of complaining about the TLX but I think many of us were having our hopes high that Acura would deliver a homerun, especially after destroying the TSX and the TL....In the past, if you didn't like the TSX, you could get the TL, if you didn't like the TL, you could get the TSX....now all we have is the TLX.

Now unlike many here....I am far from an enthusiast in that I need lots of power, need a stick,need a sport tuned suspension etc etc etc. One thing I do need is a car that looks good/sexy and wheels that won't make me gag. I am pissed at Acura cause they promised us the moon and delivered us one of its crater.

For the record...I have no doubt that it will drive great and be a fun car and have a decent presence....just not that "got to have" factor that a person spending 45k wants to have

Last edited by weather; 05-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 4thaccord
People have been comparing the TL (usually unfavorably) to the Accord since dinosaurs ruled the Earth. As a previous owner of the Accord and TL, IMO there IS a difference between the 2 that is not obvious until you drive them. The materials, the handling, the overall feel - they ARE different. The TL was better.
Sure there is some difference in quality, but the rest of the car, is it that much better???? Doubtful. Especially in the looks dept. Acura used to be a step up for the honda owner and something to compete with the others out there. Problem is is that those that have honda looking to finally upgrade probably wont be as many now due to the accords value and being 9/10s of the TLX
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Nedmundo....I respect your opinion and I agree that there is lots of complaining about the TLX but I think many of us were having our hopes high that Acura would deliver a homerun, especially after destroying the TSX and the TL....In the past, if you didn't like the TSX, you could get the TL, if you didn't like the TL, you could get the TSX....now all we have is the TLX.

Now unlike many here....I am far from an enthusiast in that I need lots of power, need a stick,need a sport tuned suspension etc etc etc. One thing I do need is a car that looks good/sexy and wheels that won't make me gag. I am pissed at Acura cause they promised us the moon and delivered us one of its crater.

For the record...I have no doubt that it will drive great and be a fun car and have a decent presence....just not that "got to have" factor that a person spending 45k wants to have
Agree!!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts

They are beautiful. I was interested in one until I rented one on a business trip. Still nice, but it does feel like a big Camry. Wasn't as impressed once I drove it.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM

A new model should stir emotion. The right kind of emotion. The " I have to have" emotion. I don't feel that with the TLX. Yes Acura has abandoned the enthusiast! Most manufacturers market high performance models, even branding them with special designations. Mercedes has AMG' BMW has M, Audi has S & RS, even Lexus has F performance models. What does Acura have? Rediculous little mufler tips curling under the bumper....
Whatcha talking about?

Acura has the "Special Edition" TSX and the "California Edition" TL.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
so what you currently drive? do you plan on spending 75k+ on one of these cars in the near future?
a lambo stirs my emtions but that didnt stop me from buying acura....
Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

Agree, don't know the price of a TLX Tech but if it's 42-45k then forget it. They took its balls off from the show car. I don't need to speed like a crazy guy, but I really want something to make me smile when I drive.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nexx
so what you currently drive? do you plan on spending 75k+ on one of these cars in the near future?
They also have sport lines that have emotion and looks to the car at less of a price. What does Acura have.....Ugly ass wheels, and Ridiculous little muffler tips curling under the bumper....
cokorote (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nexx
Hey Nexx, I think you misunderstood my point. I currently drive a 2014 TL SH AWD. I have been waiting for the G5 with great anticipation! So what does Acura do? They eliminate the TL and the TSX and give us a "combo" model! If that wasn't bad enough, they water the combo model down. I was so disappointed when I saw images and read about the TLX, I traded my 2012 TL SH for a 2014 last month. The point I was trying to make is that Acura is going in the opposite direction of it's competitors in the market segment. Yes, their strategy may be to sell to the masses, but along the way they are loosing their soul. They are ignoring what made the Acura brand desirable to enthusiasts!!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Third alternative: Acura TLXsport SH-AWD - 345Hp - 325 Lbs of Torque - MT - 0 - 60 4.8 sec - Price $50.750 and they would sell them like hot cakes.

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics