fixed red light

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
fixed red light

so for the last week my nav traffic wasnt working, acura link wasnt working.
The light was steady red.
Got pissed, decided to do a reboot on the car; disconnected the negative on the battery for about 15 seconds; reconnected.
Started the car, put in the radio code, and in 15 seconds the light turned green and the nav traffic worked again, so did the acura link.

Note to auto engineers;
Put a reset button somewhere on the car so that you dont have to disconnect the battery to reset the electronics.
Pulling a fuse is not an option either.
You might want to make several reset buttons, one that resets the entire car, and one that resets only the consumer electronics, that way the learned logic of the tranny doesnt get reset when all you need to reset is the nav and other user electronics that are bound to lock up.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
did you try "ctrl alt del" on the touch screen
The following users liked this post:
dbuckley99 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A better way to reboot the car is the way Cadillac does it on my CTS-V......turn off car, open driver's door. Next time key fob is turned, car is rebooted. It's a pretty neat and undocumented feature.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey Bob,
How do you turn the FOB when it's in your pocket?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by sotiri
Got pissed, decided to do a reboot on the car; disconnected the negative on the battery for about 15 seconds; reconnected.
Started the car, put in the radio code, and in 15 seconds the light turned green and the nav traffic worked again, so did the acura link.
How much of a cold start was this? Other than having to re-enter the radio code, what else did you have to re-enter? Anything?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
How much of a cold start was this? Other than having to re-enter the radio code, what else did you have to re-enter? Anything?
Nothing else
Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
A better way to reboot the car is the way Cadillac does it on my CTS-V......turn off car, open driver's door. Next time key fob is turned, car is rebooted. It's a pretty neat and undocumented feature.
Turn the key fob?

Bob's been in the sauce again ...

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Grandpa

Nothing else
Please, just a little more if you have time: What led you to believe that a cold re-boot was going to help your AcuraLink issue?

Did anybody at Acura lead you to believe that it was a reasonable part of the troubleshooting process?

I had a red light issue a while back...I think it was two weeks ago. I could not get the TRF icon or information, but I could still get the concierge. The concierge said that she was aware of the issue and they were working to fix it, and whatever information I needed help with, she'd be happy to give it, including pushing a traffic detoured route to the car if necessary.

Good service, if somewhat time consuming.

:-)
Old 05-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I have no doubt the light becomes red if there are connection issues, but as I indicated on the other thread, it also turns red when messages are received. There is a delay often as much as 10 minutes, but it always turns red at some point when I have unread messages with no other connection issues.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I am so glad I am color blind.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Pro

Well, I couldnt even get the concierge.
Basically no traffic, no connection to acura, and it lasted a week.
Being around electronics so much- and seeing how the first advice I give when a system is not functioning normally is to do a reboot or power cycle- and most of the times that solves the issues, I took my own advice and decided to cold reboot the car.

There are so many external possibilities that can result in an electronic device not performing as designed- that it seemed to me to be the simplest solution before I took myself to the effort to bring it in for a service call.
And then I thought to myself, I'll bet thats the first thing the service tech will do- reboot the car.

Please, just a little more if you have time: What led you to believe that a cold re-boot was going to help your AcuraLink issue?

Did anybody at Acura lead you to believe that it was a reasonable part of the troubleshooting process?

I had a red light issue a while back...I think it was two weeks ago. I could not get the TRF icon or information, but I could still get the concierge. The concierge said that she was aware of the issue and they were working to fix it, and whatever information I needed help with, she'd be happy to give it, including pushing a traffic detoured route to the car if necessary.

Good service, if somewhat time consuming.

:-)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Grandpa

And then I thought to myself, I'll bet thats the first thing the service tech will do- reboot the car.
Ha ha ha.... Yeah, probably.

Now, where did I put that radio code...?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Pro

Ha ha ha.... Yeah, probably.

Now, where did I put that radio code...?
Mine was in the black book holder that comes with the car with the manuals
Old 06-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My AcuraLink has not worked for 3 weeks now. No AcuraLink Client Services nor Roadside Assisitance - both call buttons dead. No traffic either. Tried the reboot - nothing. My AcuraLink unit was replace 1 month ago. So frustrating.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I don't know if you have a few minutes to try the following, or if you already have tried it:

HTH
Old 06-30-2016, 04:01 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by miner
My AcuraLink has not worked for 3 weeks now. No AcuraLink Client Services nor Roadside Assisitance - both call buttons dead. No traffic either. Tried the reboot - nothing. My AcuraLink unit was replace 1 month ago. So frustrating.
Can you update us where you are with this?

I haven't had anything this severe, but I have had a weird issue to do with a temporary lack of satellite coverage over an area, and it was not related to hardware or AcuraLink.

I have an ongoing issue regarding the relevance of cellular traffic, and I think we're all just stuck with that.

Next time I buy a car, it's going to have a way to use my iPhone's coverage, or I'm not buying the car. :-)

There's just no way that a car manufacturer can afford to have services that equal those of your own iPhone's network, maybe with the American Express Concierge added in.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:03 AM
Grandpa

I've gone as far as hooking up my iPad in the car so that I have better instant coverage from Apple Maps and Waze, on a big enough screen.

I don't do it all of the time.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
^^
Were you able to connect the iPad via bluetooth, or did you use the USB connection? I asked, because i tried to connect my iPad via bluetooth but i could not......

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Can you update us where you are with this?

I haven't had anything this severe, but I have had a weird issue to do with a temporary lack of satellite coverage over an area, and it was not related to hardware or AcuraLink.

I have an ongoing issue regarding the relevance of cellular traffic, and I think we're all just stuck with that.

Next time I buy a car, it's going to have a way to use my iPhone's coverage, or I'm not buying the car. :-)

There's just no way that a car manufacturer can afford to have services that equal those of your own iPhone's network, maybe with the American Express Concierge added in.
Car going into dealer on Tues., Jul. 5 for this issue and my B-pillar rattle issue.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I've gone as far as hooking up my iPad in the car so that I have better instant coverage from Apple Maps and Waze, on a big enough screen.

I don't do it all of the time.
For what it is worth I spent 10 days on vacation using Apple Car Play on a rented Chevy Impala. It was frankly a life saver. I had reserved a car with a nav. system but when I showed up the only cars they had with nav couldn't comfortably fit in the luggage for two couples. The Chevy had an enormous trunk but no nav. I was able to easily hookup my iPhone to the cars large screen and use Apple maps for nav. It worked fine even though I would have preferred to use Waze. Like all things Apple, if you use Car Play, it only works with Apple apps.

I'm sure as each new model year goes forward, there will be better and better integration for mobile phones and cars infotainment systems. As George indicated this is becoming more important every year.