4G TL enthusiast has finally acquired a ZDX. How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
This is the best part about the ZDX: storage capacity. If Trader Joe's had more water, I would've purchased double the amount.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:52 PM
Pro

My equipment also remain in place, especially during hooning, and there's still plenty of room left for more items. The TL doesn't have this advantage.

I don't believe I've ever hooned so much in a vehicle, as much as I have with the ZDX. I drive civilized about 80-90% of the time, however, I do have my moments where I want to let loose. It's usually around 01:00-03:00 in the rural areas of southern Cleveland. This platform is perfect. I have the ground clearance, the tire sidewall cushion, a high quality tire for traction, the SH-AWD layout, an adequate engine, and a fun area to hoon in.

I'm looking into phone mounts at the moment. I'm tinkering with the idea of recording some hooning sessions with the camera phone that I have. I've never recorded, or edited, videos before. Since there aren't many videos of ZDX's readily available, I anticipate that I can add some value to the domain. I could also use the setup for the upcoming RLX SH-AWD Sport Hybrid, since there are even fewer videos on that vehicle.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:43 PM
Pro

The roads, that should be either gray or black, are pure white...

These are the best overall tires that I've ever experienced, in any condition.

With the recent extreme cold temperatures, this caution of "replace battery" intermittently turns on and off. The ScanGauge states otherwise, though, as the voltage is between 13.9-14.2. So, I've decided that I want an Optima Red Top battery, more so as preventative maintenance, and to forget about batteries altogether.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascension
With the recent extreme cold temperatures, this caution of "replace battery" intermittently turns on and off. The ScanGauge states otherwise, though, as the voltage is between 13.9-14.2. So, I've decided that I want an Optima Red Top battery, more so as preventative maintenance, and to forget about batteries altogether.

Hmm... I haven't seen that indicator displayed when my battery is on its way out. I get CMBS failure, which is usually followed up in a day with a slower than normal engine turnover on cold startup.
The following users liked this post:
Ascension (01-17-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:06 AM
Pro

Cleveland received 9" of snow today. Majority of the roads were pummeled with snow until midnight. I just arrived home from cruising and hooning around. The ZDX is the best car that I've experienced in the snow, and I had a 2004 STi with Blizzaks... It's so baffling how exceptional the Michelin CrossClimate2's are... The ground clearance, the SH-AWD, and these tires are such a stellar experience. I feel that there is more control with the VCS turned off. I found it to be too intrusive, and against my intentions. The weight of the ZDX also helps tremendously with slowing down, even on snow. The ABS barely intervened, even when I expected it to. The last couple of hours were such a treat. I love this car. I love driving. After tonight, it's crystal clear. The ZDX is necessary, and the question between a TL and a ZDX should not exist. For areas such as Cleveland, the ZDX is the pinnacle.

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
Old 01-20-2024, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
I get a ‘check’ warning for the tire pressure monitoring system when it’s VERY cold out. Inevitable electrical issues with a car having so much circuitry (eats batteries too).
Ascension (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Cleveland received 9" of snow today. Majority of the roads were pummeled with snow until midnight. I just arrived home from cruising and hooning around. The ZDX is the best car that I've experienced in the snow, and I had a 2004 STi with Blizzaks... It's so baffling how exceptional the Michelin CrossClimate2's are... The ground clearance, the SH-AWD, and these tires are such a stellar experience. I feel that there is more control with the VCS turned off. I found it to be too intrusive, and against my intentions. The weight of the ZDX also helps tremendously with slowing down, even on snow. The ABS barely intervened, even when I expected it to. The last couple of hours were such a treat. I love this car. I love driving. After tonight, it's crystal clear. The ZDX is necessary, and the question between a TL and a ZDX should not exist. For areas such as Cleveland, the ZDX is the pinnacle.

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
‘Just hope we can keep them on the road. Dealers don’t like people that drive the same car forever (I change my own oil too), and won’t trade-up.
Ascension (01-20-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 06:51 AM
Pro

I've driven over 10,000 miles since I've purchased the ZDX. I believe that I've had more fun in this car over any other previous car that I've had. Because it's more stout overall, and can handle these atrocious roads of Cleveland, I haven't exactly babied it as much as the previous cars. I still avoid every pothole possible, however, I don't slow down on bumps anymore, especially majority of the train tracks. The large sidewalls and higher ground clearance are a major bonus that can't be replaced. The ZDX has been my ultimate daily driver thus far.

I pushed the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires to their limit recently. I took one of my few, isolated turns at nearly 70 MPH, all tires squealing. It's on par with what the STi and the TL took them at. The SH-AWD system is a necessary, and magical, aspect of this formula. Pair it with superb tires, and even the ZDX, at its weight class, can stay in the game.

ZDX = 4400 / 300 = 14.66 lb/hp
TL = 4000 / 305 = 13.11 lb/hp
IS F = 3700 / 416 = 8.89 lb/hp

I haven't driven my other cars in several months. I recall being able to feel that the TL was quicker during WOT's. While the IS F is much quicker, as a driver, you're cocooned inside the cockpit, so the ferocity of the power doesn't feel as intense as one would imagine it would be. However, that speedometer needle moves fast.

And none of this matters when I'm in the ZDX, which has been "always" recently. I haven't seen another ZDX since the white one when I initially purchased mine. After looking around online, it seems that red is somewhat rare of a color, on top. I haven't seen many pictures of a ZDX with the Diamond Cut wheels, either. I have a striking combination, and I'm still infatuated with the ZDX aesthetics. While I still don't prefer the white interior, it just disappears in the background.

This car suffers with the same issue that the TL Type-S suffered from: I can't see the exterior when I'm driving. I love both of these models' exteriors, and I can't view them when I'm driving. I'm inside the ZDX, cruising around Cleveland, for all others to behold, however, I'm not graced with that opportunity. I haven't had a chance to take more pictures yet, and I plan on changing that soon.

No other warning lights have come up since the battery one, when it was last close to 0 degrees outside, so it must've been temperature related. Oil is always checked, the TPMS have proven to be a reliable measure, and the car starts up instantly every time. So far, to me, it has been exceptional as a daily driver. I only baby it while it reaches operating temperatures, and only then do I begin having fun.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Great thread. I personally prefer the OEM wheels better but the new one looks good too.
Ascension (02-17-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 01:02 PM
Pro

I had the rare opportunity of experiencing a FWD ZDX last week. There is zero engine braking available during FWD mode.

The inference is that the aftermarket remote start unit caused this electrical gremlin. The issue hasn't been replicated since. I don't intending on trialing out the remote start any longer.

The weather should be clearing up in the coming weeks, and accessible to improved lighting conditions. I want to continue experimenting with photography, so expect pictures in due course. I've just been driving, enjoying the experience, and performing routine maintenance. I took a sample of oil during today's oil change, and will send it to Blackstone Labs for a UOA.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:16 PM
Pro

The only way an exhaust fits inside of the ZDX is if it is cut apart.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:44 PM
Pro

I took some new pictures.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Never noticed before (not so obvious on my white ZDX), but the grill/beak/headlight configuration seems to display a sort of sly smile (as if it is aware of it’s styling superiority).
The following 2 users liked this post by dynodan:
Ascension (03-06-2024), LC-TL2002 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
What exhaust did you purchase to replace the OEM exhaust? Is there any noticeable changes in performance? I have a 2013 ZDX, 2nd owner with all original parts. THX
Ascension (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LC-TL2002
What exhaust did you purchase to replace the OEM exhaust? Is there any noticeable changes in performance? I have a 2013 ZDX, 2nd owner with all original parts. THX
That exhaust is a stock CBE for my IS F. It will be my muffler delete. For the ZDX, I am interested in a muffler delete, however, I haven't been able to find a stock exhaust yet.
LC-TL2002 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Perhaps I’ve finally become, virtually, an ‘old fuddy-duddy’, but since my stock ZDX literally flies by the cars I pass on the highway…..(seems like much more for such a heavy vehicle than it’s advertised HP). An aftermarket exhaust will increase road noise, and likely require a CPU mod and an improved air intake also (to justify). Used to be a ‘hot rodder’ in my youth, and never thought I would get here, but when numerous near-thousand HP cars come right off the showroom floor these days, you have to wonder…what’s the point? I still hotrod my other/antique car though, as it IS true……more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow!

Last edited by dynodan; 03-12-2024 at 09:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dynodan:
Ascension (03-12-2024), LC-TL2002 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh, okay. Cool Thx
Ascension (03-12-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:50 AM
Pro

About a week ago, the car has been permanently stuck in FWD mode. The codes pulled indicate that the left rear speed sensor has malfunctioned. I'm waiting on the parts to arrive, and in the meantime, I'm probably the only FWD ZDX on the road. I've been driving like a grandma since ABS and VSA are disabled.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:44 PM
Pro

I tested filming yesterday, and these are some stills from that recording.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:17 AM
Instructor

I see you added a Type Z badge to your ride; I got to ask. What optional features and trim level comes with the type Z model?

I'm just having some fun, as I prefer the debadged look, which keeps everyone guessing.

Ascension (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by zdxsr
I see you added a Type Z badge to your ride; I got to ask. What optional features and trim level comes with the type Z model?

I'm just having some fun, as I prefer the debadged look, which keeps everyone guessing.
It's all a figment of our imagination; a paradox. To answer your question, though, my ZDX is Dragonball Z themed. I found that a Honda City Type Z exists, so that's where the badge originated from.

zdxsr (03-19-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 09:09 AM
Pro

"The wear metals look fine compared to the universal averages, which are based on oil run ~5,800 miles. The T6 you're using is doing a great job protecting the working parts. No contamination is present and the low insolubles level shows good oil filtration. Looks good from here. Keep monitoring, and follow up to monitor trends. "

I had an UOA performed by Blackstone Labs for the ZDX.
Shell Rotella T6
~4,800 miles

Old 04-06-2024, 08:32 AM
Pro

Today is the day the FWD ZDX becomes SH-AWD again.

~4,400 lb
FWD
No VSA
No ABS

This was the most dangerous vehicle I have ever driven... It also has helped me improve my driving skill. I pushed this setup to its limit on the street a handful of times. If it weren't for the Michelin Crossclimate2 tires, the car would've been totaled by now. Truly, these are the best overall tires that I have ever experienced. They defy what's possible in the dry, wet, and snow conditions, even with the major handicap. It's quite astounding.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:09 PM
Pro

SH-AWD has been reinstated.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:25 PM
Pro

I've encountered a scenario that seems like a severe drawback of the ZDX that I wasn't aware prior to purchasing... Since this is the first "SUV" type of vehicle that I've owned, I didn't know what to expect. This is also the heaviest vehicle which I've owned. It seems that the drag coefficient of the ZDX is 0.35 CD. The number mentioned for the 4G TL is 0.27-0.29 CD. If this is truly the difference in data, then ~0.07 CD makes a massive difference... I had to make a trip to Columbus, and the wind gusts were some of the worst that I've experienced. The car needed to downshift into 5th gear on countless occasions, and even into 4th gear on inclines, in order to keep momentum at 75-80 MPH. That specific scenario may be an outlier, with the combined parameters, however, it still occurred.

1) ~9" ground clearance, as opposed to ~6"
2) ~4,400 lb, as opposed to ~4,000 lb
3) ~80 MPH
4) ~70 lb heavier rotational mass
5) heavy wind gusts

The ZDX's performance in that scenario is atrocious, and it felt inadequate and unacceptable. It also feels like it reaches the limit quickly after 100 MPH, normally, where the TL doesn't. I understand what it's intended for, however, it's still disappointing. We can't even reduce the rotational mass by much because of the tire size.

If one purchases a ZDX, it's because they love the aesthetics, prefer a more robust vehicle (ground clearance and tire sidewall), and require the extra cargo capacity. One doesn't purchase a ZDX for its performance. A ZDX cannot be a larger TL, unfortunately.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:31 PM
Pro

After a weeklong hiatus, jumping from the TL back into the ZDX reminds me how much more premium and special the ZDX feels, despite the lesser performance. I'm fortunate to have both cars, and it's difficult trying to pin one as the more superior daily driver, since they have their own unique advantages and disadvantages.

It's almost 80 degrees F in Cleveland. An excess amount of performance vehicles are out and about, and I also pulled out the IS F today.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:53 PM
Instructor

After a weeklong hiatus, jumping from the TL back into the ZDX reminds me how much more premium and special the ZDX feels, despite the lesser performance…...
Go figure. ZDX ‘performance’ is arbitrary (eye of the beholder). Once that 2+ tons is moving at 60-70mph, it’s normally aspirated 300hp passes obstructing traffic more like 400hp. The TL must be quite a hot rod.
Ascension (04-27-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 04:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dynodan
Go figure. ZDX ‘performance’ is arbitrary (eye of the beholder). Once that 2+ tons is moving at 60-70mph, it’s normally aspirated 300hp passes obstructing traffic more like 400hp. The TL must be quite a hot rod.
If the ZDX is daily driven, the downshifting due to the extra weight becomes background noise. However, if switching from the ZDX to the TL, the difference in driving becomes immediately apparent. Rotational mass must be more crucial than overall static weight, because the difference in acceleration, at all speeds, is quite profound. The ZDX, for what it is, is adequate. Initially, I believed that the ZDX is just a larger TL. That notion has proven to be incorrect.

The RLX SH-AWD Sport Hybrid will not suffer from the same ailments that the ZDX has. The RLX is ~200 lb heavier than the TL, and ~200 lb lighter than the ZDX. While the stock RLX wheels are essentially as heavy as the ZDX's, I have the remedy: the Diamond Cut wheels from the TL. In addition to that, the extra power should prove to feel quite profound.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:07 AM
Pro

Old 06-02-2024, 09:45 AM
Pro

The more I swap back and forth from the ZDX to the TL, the more that I dislike the ZDX... In suburban and urban environments, the ZDX is adequate. However, in rural environments, it lacks higher speed performance. It's too heavy (static and dynamic) for the power. If this is one's sole vehicle, then it probably wouldn't be an "issue." Since I have three vehicles, the "issue" is serious. It doesn't have enough passing power at higher speeds with its current weight and aerodynamics. As much as I love the aesthetic design of the ZDX, I value performance the most.

Old 07-04-2024, 06:56 AM
Pro

Clouds keep sabotaging me.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:23 AM
Instructor

The more I swap back and forth from the ZDX to the TL, the more that I dislike the ZDX... In suburban and urban environments, the ZDX is adequate. However, in rural environments, it lacks higher speed performance. It's too heavy (static and dynamic) for the power. If this is one's sole vehicle, then it probably wouldn't be an "issue." Since I have three vehicles, the "issue" is serious. It doesn't have enough passing power at higher speeds with its current weight and aerodynamics. As much as I love the aesthetic design of the ZDX, I value performance the most.
Well then, you have three choices, I guess.
1. Sell it.
2. Keep it as is and relish the uniqueness of owning a ZDX.
3. Invest in a power adder to increase power output.

The following 2 users liked this post by zdxsr:
Ascension (07-06-2024), DJ Iceman (07-05-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 06:38 AM
Pro

I've finally obtained the pictures I've been seeking, after four attempts. I also took some night shots, however, they didn't turn out well.

Old 07-11-2024, 10:07 PM
Pro

Now that I have some idea as to what I'm actually doing, this is becoming more enjoyable than I anticipated.

Old 07-14-2024, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 89 Posts
Clay bar could really be your friend. Or maybe take it to a detailer for paint correction?
Ascension (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 04:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Clay bar could really be your friend. Or maybe take it to a detailer for paint correction?
Since I've decided that I won't keep the ZDX for much longer, I won't be detailing it. I needed excuses to improve my photography skills. Also, after the photoshoot last week, the alternator failed. I have the parts ready, and will be addressing the fix within the next week, or two.

Old 07-27-2024, 01:39 PM
Pro

The alternator and tensioner have been replaced, and the ZDX is back on the road. It shouldn't need anything until the timing belt service. After being away for two weeks, the ZDX roars much louder than the TL, in regards to induction noise. It's very noticeable.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
Pro

I've been driving more aggressively lately, with no care to fuel economy. This is the current average MPG: 17.1. Today, I changed the air filter, cabin air filter, oil, and rotated the wheels. ~12,600 miles on the CrossClimate2 tires and they are wearing flawlessly.