Zaino's looking greasy in the sun

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino's looking greasy in the sun

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm on about my 5 or 6th coat of Zaino. I've been going by the book, so to speak.

I did dawn wash then z1 then z2 then z6

then z1 then z2 (I felt like wasting some z1 for some reason)

then dusting with California Car Brush then z2 then z6

then z7 wash then z2 then z6

then z7 wash then z2 then z6...and so on

This is over several weeks. I've noticed once or twice that when I look at the Zaino'ed finish in the sun the paint looks like it has smears or grease on it. In the shade the finish is like a clean mirror.

What gives? Is the Zaino greasy or is it me?
Old 06-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you let the Cali Car Duster "season" when you first got it by wrapping it in newspaper for a week or two? That will leach out the excess parrafin that's on the strands. It took a few weeks of using the CCD before all streaking stopped.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by stenoslave
Did you let the Cali Car Duster "season" when you first got it by wrapping it in newspaper for a week or two? That will leach out the excess parrafin that's on the strands. It took a few weeks of using the CCD before all streaking stopped.
I was going to say the same exact thing the duster has this parifan wax on it & need to season. The parifan wax will not harm the car.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:39 PM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

Or you could just keep using the CCD and it will season by itself. You don't necessarily have to wrap it in newspaper. What I do is I use it to dust my bedroom.

...What gives? Is the Zaino greasy or is it me?...
It's you... J/K
Old 06-09-2002, 07:16 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I'm not referring to grease from the CCD. I did let it cure & and have seen a streak it left before.

Anyway - what I am talking about is a total smeary look to the paint in the sun after I take off the Zaino. The Zaino was applied thin and taken off when it was dry. It almost looks like the grease from someone's finger tips lightly spread all over the paint (and no, it's not from my finger tips, they are carefully shielded in the towel that I take the Zaino off with).
Old 06-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DUDE....the california duster has oil on it to attract dirt and dust, that is what you are seeing!!!
Old 06-09-2002, 03:31 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Dudes - as said, this has nothing to do with the duster. Forget that I used it. I have not used it in a month and have washed my car 2 or 3 time since last using it.

The greasy look that I am referring to is the way just car looks just after taking off the Z2. In the sun, the finish has a smeary look to it.

I noticed that it looks less so today. Maybe 'the greasy look' goes away after the Zaino cures.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:33 AM
ira
Advanced

I 'd guess that you either put it on to thick or put on too many coats close together. One of those is what usually causes problems.

Ira
www.lazaino.com
Old 06-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I don't think it was too thick - I discovered early on that less is more (so to speak).

Could the Zaino have not been completely dry? It seemed to flake off with some toweling effort. It was probably about 50 - 60% humid that day too.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:33 AM
ira
Advanced

Originally posted by Slimey Could the Zaino have not been completely dry? It seemed to flake off with some toweling effort. It was probably about 50 - 60% humid that day too. [/B]
The humidity makes it take longer to dry. It could be that it hadn't dried, if so I think it will go away when you next wash with Z-7 and follow with Z-6. Out of curoiusity, how many coats do you think you're getting out of a bottle of polish?

Ira
Old 06-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Did you shake the bottle really well?
Old 06-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by ira
Out of curoiusity, how many coats do you think you're getting out of a bottle of polish?
I've used between 1/4 and 1/2 of the bottle (of z2) and have done about 6 coats.
Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Did you shake the bottle really well?
I think so...I will next time!
Old 06-10-2002, 12:20 PM
ira
Advanced

Originally posted by Slimey
I've used between 1/4 and 1/2 of the bottle (of z2) and have done about 6 coats.I think so...I will next time!
If you've used closer to 1/2 a bottle you putting it on too thick, closer to 1/4 bottle and you're doing well. I'm getting about 20 coats from a bottle on my 2000 Camaro which I'd guess is about the same surface area as a CL.

Ira
Old 06-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Where is my super sauce?

OK. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:35 PM
ira
Advanced

I've decided, wrong or right, that the secret to putting on polish on thin is to use a small amount at a time. I start by drawing a big N and then each time I add more polish I add either a single stripe or a V and spread that as far as it will go. The first N should do 1/3 to 1/2 of the roof, the next bit should finish it, another bit for 1/2 the hood and so on. If you try to spread a lot over a big area it ends up thick in some places and thin in others. On my silver car if the light's not perfect I can't see the polish I've applied.

Ira
Old 06-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LET IT DRY ALL OF THE WAY
Old 06-18-2002, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ira
I've decided, wrong or right, that the secret to putting on polish on thin is to use a small amount at a time. I start by drawing a big N and then each time I add more polish I add either a single stripe or a V and spread that as far as it will go. The first N should do 1/3 to 1/2 of the roof, the next bit should finish it, another bit for 1/2 the hood and so on. If you try to spread a lot over a big area it ends up thick in some places and thin in others. On my silver car if the light's not perfect I can't see the polish I've applied.

Ira

The other trick to cut down on how much is used per coat is to:

1. Try to apply the stuff in the shade. When it is really hot and sunny out, the stuff dries in a flash, and is hard to spread around. When I do my Z2/ZFX in the shade, I can get by with about 1/2 - 2/3 oz and its FAT (sometimes there will be a few overkill spots that need a final clean towel wipe the next day -- the stuff is very thick there).

2. If I apply in the shade, a little bit spreads over a very large area. Once the whole car is done -- a quick roll out into the baking sun makes for a fast dry. (A hot enough day will cause the applicator to “flash boil” the Z-6/Zaino on the very hot horizontal surfaces of the car…)

3. IMO, it helps to do a stand-alone Z-6 or carwash/Z6 to just "super shine" the car, harden the stuff, and give the car some added static protection. The stuff can "load-up" a bit if too many coats are put on too fast over a 2-3 day period using the ZFX (don't get me wrong: it protects, goop wipes off like Teflon, and the slightly too thick apps have saved me some major grief -- I bias a bit heavy on the front bumper [just my opinion and experiments]).
Old 06-18-2002, 02:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
LET IT DRY ALL OF THE WAY

YEP! A follow up with a Z6 and clean towels a few days later can do wonders!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

Sounds like a little excess. You might try a light water mist and soft terry towel. ...dean
Old 06-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Just an update-

I Zaino'ed this weekend and left the Z2 on overnight so it could really dry.

The next morning it came off easily and no grease.

I guess that patience is a virture...
Old 07-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

slimey,

question for you.. when you say you "zaino'd this weekend and left the Z2 on overnight so it could really dry" had you already gotten rid of the greasy smears from the prior application? I think I've got a similar problem right now, and I think I applied too much. The problem is that I already tried to remove it through the normal buffing out process, but there are some smears remaining over a large portion of the car. Did you find that those greasy smears eventually set and you could buff them out, or did you apply the z2 before removing the smears? I'm on the east coast too, and as you know it's been *way* humid here the last half week or so. I'm wondering if parking it out in the sun tomorrow will help cure the remainder and allow me to buff it out as I normally would...

I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of this stuff. It just doesn't seem to want to come off!
Old 07-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Yes - the 'greasy' came out with some buffing with 100% cotton towels that I had to turn over several times.

I might Zaino again this weekend. I think my goal will be to get as many coats as possible while its warm so I can survive the icky winter without a redo.

"It ain't the heat; it's the humidity"

I love it - my neighbor thinks I am crazy. She's never seen someone wash and polish their car each week. My wife thought I was also a bit strange until I gave her Saturn one coat of Zaino. It really made that Saturn racing green shine.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:31 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Slimey
Yes - the 'greasy' came out with some buffing with 100% cotton towels that I had to turn over several times.

I might Zaino again this weekend. I think my goal will be to get as many coats as possible while its warm so I can survive the icky winter without a redo.
if u're gonna put on multiple coats this weekend, may i suggest u do NOT Z6 until the second/third/last coat...u can overload on Z6 very quickly and not realize it til it's too late...the paint will not soak up enough polish b/c it's already saturated with Z6...so when people say a little Z6 goes a looooong way, they're not kiddin