Window Water Marks...AHHH

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 02:30 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Water Marks...AHHH

hey guys my sisters in town and i get the pleasure of detailing her absolutly neglected accord. water spots EVERYWHERE. luckily i got rid of them on the paint but...

i cant figure out how to get rid of them on her windows. theyre awful, its like wiping across sandpaper.

what can i do to get this crap off?

eeww look at that sexy CL back there
Old 08-05-2006, 04:28 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Removing (Glass)water spots:

Removing water spots:
There are two categories of water spots;
a) Surface water spots-alkaline watermarks (water spots) are calcium and magnesium salts that deposit on the surface after the water has evaporated, the minute crystals bond to the surface and are not re-dissolvable in water. Rainwater also contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on both the paint and glass surfaces. Alkaline water spots (sprinkler water) require an acid (vinegar is a Acetic acid pH 2.0.) to remove them, any subsequent etching requires an abrasive to level the paint surface

b) Below surface (etched) water spots- are caused by acid rain (pH 3 – 4.0) or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Etched water spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them. Acid rain spots require an Alkaline to neutralize them
(See also Industrial fall out (IFO) and Acid rain)

a) Removing water spots from glass- rainwater sometimes contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on glass surfaces. Mineral deposits can be caused by water from a light summer shower, or a lawn sprinkler system that that dries on the glass surface leaving a calcium / sodium deposit.

These can usually be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) for stubborn spots polish them using method (b)
Methodology
•Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
•Dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
a) 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid) adjust
ratio as required
b) A 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
Allow chemical solution sufficient dwell time (5-10 minutes)
•Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the glass surface
•Or soak a first aid gauze pad with the vinegar/ water solution, this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time, 5-10 minutes) wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
•If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to 100% cotton Microfiber towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface.
•If this does not remove the `water spots' use a chemical type ‘polish’ (Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM )and fine grade bronze wool (http://www.briwax-online.com) use straight-line motions only (circular motions cause swirl marks)

•For stubborn water spots use (A B C Decontamination / Neutralization system (http:// www.autoint.com) a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system This three part system comprises; A-Acid Neutralizer, B-Alkaline Neutralizer (use in conjunction with detailers clay to remove ‘water spots’) and C- Surface Conditioner with a pH of 7.0, which safely removes both surface and subsurface contamination and neutralizes any residual acid from the painted finish. Any subsequent etching will require an abrasive to level the paint surface

b) Removing etched (below surface) water spots from glass--- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Etched water spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them.

These can usually be removed using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using a mechanical type abrasive polish (Zaino ZPC Fusion) with #0000 synthetic steel wool or Iz Einzette Glas Polish, a random orbital buffer (speed # 4) and a cutting foam pad (LC orange or yellow) to level the surface.
Notes:
Do not use abrasive cleaner; glass polish or any grade synthetic steel wool on after market-tinted glass or you will probably scratch the surface.

1.For deeply etched water spots' in the glass surface, do not attempt to polish them out, consult an automotive glass vendor as glass used on later model cars is soft and thin (this may vary by manufacturer) due to weight / cost savings by vehicle manufactures and polishing could cause glass to crack.
2.Be cautious with polishes that contain abrasives like aluminium or cerium oxide as they have the potential to damage glass beyond repair.
3.Some windshields and mirrors have a tinted plastic coating or a blue tint that will scratch or be damaged, only polish or use synthetic wool on uncoated glass.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:43 PM

holy cow. thanks alot man. she says sprinklers hit it all the time in her apart. lot. so i know its probably from that and rain. so it looks like i need to hit it with that vinegar or alchohol mix. huh

you think PB 2.0 with an orange pad will help at all?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 AM

If the water marks have etched the paint suface a polish will level the surface,
but I always recommend using the least abrasive first...
Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 PM

i got the marks off of the paint, but i was wondering if 2.0 would do antyhing for the windows.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I had the same problem. Vinegar & claybar worked well on the windows.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if not, get some aluminum oxide off of ebay. that stuff works like MAGIC.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'm a girl

Any other options??

I have water spots/etching on my rear and passenger side windows. (The car was like that when I bought it) I have tried everything to remove them.

Here is a list of what doesn't work:
  • white vinegar and water mixture
  • clay
  • at least six different kinds of polish that we had laying around
  • also tried the polishes with an orbital buffer
  • a glass polishing kit

I also tried the #0000 steel wool technique (described on autopia) and this removed the water spots but left a slew of scratches behind so that doesn't really qualify as working to me.

I am becoming desparate
Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM

This glass cleaner (Glass Scrub™) removes insect smear, road oils, mineral deposits, lime scale, tree sap and more. A heavy-duty, cream cleanser that deep cleans auto glass safely and effectively without strong acids, alkali's, phosphates or solvents. It is specifically formulated to clean glass without scratching. The best time to use Glass Scrub is after you've washed the car but before you dry it. The glass must still be wet. I apply a small amount of product on a folded Glass Cleaning Cloth rubbing the glass in circular motions making sure to apply to all areas thoroughly. Flip the cloth to a clean dry surface and rub again. http://properautocare.com

a) (DP High Performance Glass Restorer)This thick citrus-based cream safely pulls contaminants out of the glass, including alkaline mineral deposits, and then smooths out etched glass www.autogeek.org

b) Janvil Scratch Remover (JV-326 / Glass Renew JV-325)

c) This glass polishing kit comprises one 2-inch diameter felt bob mounted on a ¼-inch shaft, with a tub of abrasive optical grade Cerium powder. This will remove glass scratches that you can’t feel with your fingernail (approximately 0.004") To remove scratches that you cannot feel with your fingernail, mark them on the inside of the glass with a crayon or a piece of tape. (Deeper scratches may not be possible to completely remove.)
Mix up a small quantity of the abrasive powder with some water to make wet slurry, and dip the flat end of the felt bob in it and use the fastest electric drill speed available, work the slurry up and down across the scratch until it is removed, keep the surface wet - do not allow the slurry to dry out, otherwise the glass will get hot - http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm

Alternative pads- these 4-inch ‘Metal Polishing Pads’ are made of course, 600 grit nylon (Scotchbrite®) and are designed for hard / rough surfaces like aluminium diamond plate, pitted aluminium, chrome, and glass. http://topoftheline.com

That's all I' got, if these suggestions don't work take it to a professional detailer
Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'm a girl

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I found this stuff at a commercial glass & mirror company. It works great and you can use it with out the buffer. I don't know if it is available online. I also included before and after pics of my sunroof.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro

There is a very simple way to do it, all you need is just a bottle of glass cleaner, and some newspaper.

1. make sure the window is cleaned and dried
2. spray the window with those glass cleaner solution
3. wipe it dry with newspaper

this method works everytime for me............ no need to buy expensive cleaning solution
Old 09-25-2006, 01:19 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like an excellent product! I wonder if it can be used on car paint (carefully, of course).
Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Racer

Carnuba cleaner wax...wax your windows, apply and remove as you would the paint, it will remove the water marks and give it the rainx affect... jsut watch out for the rubber seals, make sure you clean those off appropriately
Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UW RL
looks like an excellent product! I wonder if it can be used on car paint (carefully, of course).
Here's link with more info on Bio Clean
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 AM
Advanced

I had good luck with nu glass from duragloss. I would suggest using it with a machine for larger windows but it can be used by hand in small sections at a time.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I discovered a similar issue today when I was detailing my car. I let my windows air dry and it left those ugly water stains (last time I decide to let the windows air dry to say the least).

Anyways, using some quick detail and vigourous scrubbing I was able to get some of it off. But using a clay bar is what did the trick in the end, and I finally have clean windows again.

Tomorrow I'm going to try some of these other suggestions on my Mom's car, which has some MAJOR water stains and see how they do.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem solved
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
I discovered a similar issue today when I was detailing my car. I let my windows air dry and it left those ugly water stains (last time I decide to let the windows air dry to say the least).

Anyways, using some quick detail and vigourous scrubbing I was able to get some of it off. But using a clay bar is what did the trick in the end, and I finally have clean windows again.

Tomorrow I'm going to try some of these other suggestions on my Mom's car, which has some MAJOR water stains and see how they do.
i had the same problem the first time i washed my car. i let the windows air dry, big mistake. i tried stoners invisible glass which didnt' do anything. i also tried mr. clean magic erasers which another forum suggested and this helped a little but didn't get it perfect.

ironically 2 days later it rained, and the next dry day i had no more water spots.

whats really pissing me off about my windshield tho is all these little chips i've gotten.. the car is barely 2 months old
Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

i suggest;

Works great and provides restoration to original condition.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Talking

I just wanted to say thanks for the info everyone... See ya'll on the track!!! peYace
Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by feelgood13
if not, get some aluminum oxide off of ebay. that stuff works like MAGIC.
Be cautious with polishes that contain aggressive abrasives like aluminium silica, aluminium oxide or cerium oxide as they have the potential to damage glass by removing layers; compromising its strength and rigidity, necessitating replacement An airbag relies on the glass windshield as it ‘backing plate’ (i.e. it supports the inflated bag and gives it the necessary rigidity, as it is unable to arrest forward motion without some kind of strong support) so don’t do anything that would compromise the glass or the airbags ‘support’ system
Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Advanced

seems like lots of good info in this thread.
let me add what i found. hopefully it's good but if not let me know.

tried using the isopropyl+water solution and then undiluted isopropyl alcohol
without success.

then i found a bottle of "the wax shop" non abrasive "pre wax cleaner"

and used it on my ugly water spots. this took most of the spots away, some seem a
little more stubborn. i also tried it on the glass and got the same results.

seems ok and i'm thinking of going for a second try to get all of it off.

on the bottle it say that the product "removes oxidation through a unique photo chemical process while restoring the original shine and luster to painted surfaces."

"highly recommended for new car and clearcoat finishes"

contains petroleum distillates.

seem good or no?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Instructor

i was washing my car outside and i got the water stains on my windshield andside windows and i used 3Mglass cleaner and i was not able to clean it.
what is the best way and easy way to clean this from the windows
and where can i buy the product
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Instructor

should i get the glass scrub anyone thinks that works
Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced

just tried the glass cleaner and newspaper route.

spots are gone!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

You the man, TOGWT
Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Whoa, thread revival much? Useful info indeed, though.

Would using a regular polish/buffer work on the windows as it would on paint?