Water stain on paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water stain on paint

Today marks the end of "perfect paint" for my car. I thought I could wash my car before the sun hits it, was I wrong. Soaping went pretty good, but when I was ready to hose the car off, the sun light stared to hit my black car, the next thing you know, no matter how fast I dry the car, the water spot was left on the area where the sun hit. I can't even wipe it off with a wet towel! Of course I saw swirls all over the place. I guess keeping a car in "show room condition" is near impossible (or unrealistic). Anyway, I am wondering when I am ready to do the second Zino coating, will I be able to get rid off all the water spots (more like an outline of the spot) by following the regular waxing steps? Any insights would be appreciated!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Racer

water spot

Living in the so called "sunshine state" this happens all the time to me. Usually though, the spots aren't noticeable on my black tsx, unless I literally put my eyes right against the paint- and you might see a very slight border- or occasionally a tiny spot. No way would anybody be able to see these. I use a detail spray asap on these spots if I am able to see them- sometimes it doesn't get rid of them but makes them even less noticeable. Bottom line is that i don't have a water spot on my car than anyone could see.
I think detail sprays are great. However on the black, don't get the real cheap stuff or it will smudge a lot etc. I have had mine for 15 months and last week someone asked me if I just bought the car. I would never get another color besides black. Toughest to keep clean, but at least you see what needs to be cleaned, and when it is clean watch out. By the way the only bad water spots that I have ran into are the sprinklers(on 12 months a year here in florida) If those get on your car, that needs to be taken off asap again with a detail spray- those can really bake in the sun.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:01 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Removing water 'spots'

Water Spots:
These fall into one of two categories:

a) Surface water spots- alkaline watermarks (water spots) are calcium and magnesium salts that deposit on the surface after the water has evaporated, the minute crystals bond to the surface and are not re-dissolvable in water. Rainwater also contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on both the paint and glass surfaces.

b) Below surface (etched) water spots- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark.
Etched water spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them.

1a) Removing surface water spots from paint film surface-
Methodology
·Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
·To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
1) 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar
2) Distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
3) Equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
·Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton micro fibre cloth to apply the solution to the paint surface
·Wipe off any residue from the paint surface and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface, for stubborn spots use an abrasive polish as in (1b)
JonM
Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Disway
Today marks the end of "perfect paint" for my car. I thought I could wash my car before the sun hits it, was I wrong. Soaping went pretty good, but when I was ready to hose the car off, the sun light stared to hit my black car, the next thing you know, no matter how fast I dry the car, the water spot was left on the area where the sun hit. I can't even wipe it off with a wet towel! Of course I saw swirls all over the place. I guess keeping a car in "show room condition" is near impossible (or unrealistic). Anyway, I am wondering when I am ready to do the second Zino coating, will I be able to get rid off all the water spots (more like an outline of the spot) by following the regular waxing steps? Any insights would be appreciated!

give the area a good claying and see what happens. you can then move up to the distilled water/vinegar trick. i like to soak a small rag with a 50/50 distilled water/vinegar mix and allow it to sit on the water spot for about 20 minutes. that will normally do it. if that doesnt remove your spots then you can use a mild abbrasive such as 3M, Einszettes or Menzerna. set your PC (assuming you have one) to about 3 1/2 and work polish in with an orange pad or other "medium cutting" pad and then clean off area and re-polish if necessary until you are happy with the results. if you catch them early they arent too bad to remove

Last edited by TSXtc; 03-28-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys, I think I better print the page out for reference later.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 PM
4th Gear

Anyone have any solid tips on removing these mineral deposits on my hood? I've been on them with my PC and my orange cutting pad for at least 6 hours. I've even tried using a straight rotary with the same negative results. I've tried Sun Brite Perfect Compound, Clear Cut and Turtle Wax polishing compound. I've managed to get some of them almost out but at this rate I'll have to put in more than 30 hours just in the hood. Hoping there is a faster way. It's an 09 TL SH-AWD that I got CPO about two months ago. I didn't notice the deposits until after I got done claying it. I suspect the dealership had them covered up with something that washed off eventually.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by iznit
Anyone have any solid tips on removing these mineral deposits on my hood? I've been on them with my PC and my orange cutting pad for at least 6 hours. I've even tried using a straight rotary with the same negative results. I've tried Sun Brite Perfect Compound, Clear Cut and Turtle Wax polishing compound. I've managed to get some of them almost out but at this rate I'll have to put in more than 30 hours just in the hood. Hoping there is a faster way. It's an 09 TL SH-AWD that I got CPO about two months ago. I didn't notice the deposits until after I got done claying it. I suspect the dealership had them covered up with something that washed off eventually.
Doesn't look like water spots to me it looks like some form of etching or clear failure where something was dripped on the paint.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
clear coat failure.
we call it crows feet.

your dealer needs to know, before it gets worse.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
4th Gear

I tried wet sanding it today and I was able to get some of the little spots out but not all of them. I took it to the dealership and as expected they say it's not a warranty item and there is no way they would have even sold the car if it looked like that. Not that I was expecting anything different from them but I've had the car 2 months and it's parked in the garage every night and under covered parking during the day at work. It's just hard to believe that the etching got that way in the two months I've owned it. I guess my next option is to get the hood repainted. Any other recommendations?