To use a polisher or not to that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
GR8TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To use a polisher or not to that is the ?

I have a NBP TL and have some swirl marks but I have never use a polisher. I've been doing some reading about the Porter cable 7424 and was wondering if you guys would recomend me using it? I don't want to damage or burn my paint, by the way I'm thinking of using 3M products I've heard they make good stuff for black cars.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vini
I have a NBP TL and have some swirl marks but I have never use a polisher. I've been doing some reading about the Porter cable 7424 and was wondering if you guys would recomend me using it? I don't want to damage or burn my paint, by the way I'm thinking of using 3M products I've heard they make good stuff for black cars.

Thanks.
If you never used a polisher before I would avise you to seek a good detailer in your area and let them do it.

Without prior experience, it is likely that you will make matter worse before you make them better.

Or better yet, if you still want to buy a polisher, find a old used car to practice on and do not tackle your car until you have mastered the polisher.

You can also do it by hand but it is tedious work with less risk of damaging the paint surface.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Instructor

on a new car with good paint the worst you could do with a PC would be haze it up and leave some marring that would easily be removed once you got better at it. the PC is very safe to use...you would basically have to TRY to damage your paint in order to cause harm. short of dropping the actual buffer onto the hood, i doubt you'll have any problems.

i've heard of a very FEW instances of damage to paint from PC use, but they were using a 3.5" backplate w/ 4" cutting pad and sitting in one area for WAY too long.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
The PC 7424/7336 is nearly idiot proof. Thats why it was easy for me..........lol
Seriously, proper product choice, a few wise tidbits of advice from us know-it-alls, and you'll be asking "Why did I wait so long" instead of "To use a polisher or not to that is the?"
Theres a wealth of experience here at the Zine, use us before we start wilting..........We can also guide you in the right direction for products. Many of us will agree, 3M makes fine products, there just not the most forgiving or user friendly, for a beginner.......
Old 09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vini

Thanks.
My , I think the PC is one of the best tools any enthusiast can have and I do without any doubt recommend it. This is a great article by Steve Litscher of Roadfly about the benefits of a PC. I would also suggest reading the tutorial on Autopia called "How to use the PC". If you're very anal about the appearance of your car, this is indeed a worthwhile investment, especially for the weekend detailer and enthusiast.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah practice on a beater first. I used my roommates old car to practice on before he traded it in. His paint was all messed up before, so I really couldn't make it worst if I tried. It looked real good after getting in the groove.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:29 PM
RKA
Cruisin'

Using the PC is idiotproof as stated. The head simply doesn't turn fast enough to pose any significant threat of burning through the paint. The areas where you may run into trouble are using the correct pad/product based on the condition of the paint, preparing the paint prior to polishing, and keeping the pads CLEAN and well lubricated during polishing. Remember...if you've left any dirt on the paint, or get any dirt on the pad while you're working, you're going to grind that stuff all over your paint. Dried residue from polish is equally terrible, so make sure you properly clean the pads between uses!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Dried residue from polish
Another good reason to consider entering the FS giveaway.......See my sig.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Yes
Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
the PC is idiot proof. I have used it on my brand new MDX and on my 04 tl and a monte carlo pace car (when dale died) and now i'm a pro at it. I used zaino, i think i have may used a bit to much zaino, but the shine was perfect and i did not harm the paint at all. I'd bet a well educated 13 year old could do it without messiing anything up.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frenchnew
If you never used a polisher before I would avise you to seek a good detailer in your area and let them do it.

Without prior experience, it is likely that you will make matter worse before you make them better.
i dont agree, i never used a PC before and i was terified, now im in love, i couldnt imagine anyway else. you have to start somewhere, and if you dont sit in one spot for an eternity your not going to hurt anything. just take it slow and youll have it down in no time. it will change your car care experience totally.