UPP Failed on me. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
UPP Failed on me. Why?

After using Four Star Pre-Wax Cleanser, I opened up my UPP and the product became more like water instead of paste. I didn't even have to squeeze the product out. I just turn it upside down and it'll flow like a faucet. I don't know what happened to it. It's always been next to pre-wax cleanser and that one is still in paste form. Also, after applying the UPP, the car seemed to not be as slick as the first time I applied UPP. Can anyone explain why my UPP lost its paste form? The only description I can give is that the UPP is flowing like water. It was hard for me to apply it on the doors because it kept dripping from the applicator.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
do you keep it in your garage...if soo, then the extreme temps of cold and heat got to it and it seperated...i always keep my waxes/polishes in the house....
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Well actually, my room is in the garage. I guess it's the heat since SoCal is hitting 90's in temperature. But if I keep it at room temperature, will it return to paste form? Or is the UPP done for. Sorry I have to ask because I want to re-apply the UPP and I want to know if I need to buy another one or just wait it out.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Did you shake it real good?

Here is a post Excel made in another thread here. may give you satisfaction, that its probably not done for.

Originally Posted by exceldetail
It should be very creamy at all times. heres a little story. I had a customer in L.A., which is about 30 minutes from me. He had the same problem when his order arrived. I asked if he had shaken it real good and he said "yeah, for like 2 minutes". I told him I would ship him out a new one, but would appreciate if he could ship me back the lumpy one, which he did. So I get it back, and look at it, and sure enough, its totally separated. I give it a shake for a minute or two, with no difference. So I called Gary at FS, he asked for a production date sticker on the bottom, which I referred to him. He hadnt had any problems with the batch before my inquiry, but told me he would credit my acct next time I ordered.
So a month or so passes, and Im looking at the bottle on my shelf wondering what it would be like to use it anyway. So I give it a quick shake like I do all my products before I use them, totally forgetting about the prior consistancy. Realizing this, I stopped shaking also noticing that the thinness that I could detect while I began to shake, had dissapeared. It now sounded like a thin milkshake, that I was use to. I asked myself if this was the same bottle, which I knew it was......so now Im thinking WTF?
I opened it up, low and behold, good as new.........That was over a 14 months ago, and its perfectly fine still to this date...........
Unsolved mystery or what?
Lee, if you have the same problem, you can ship it to me (if you bought from me), i will keep it, perform the same voodoo, and use it (lol) again later.
Or, call Gary at FS, tell him who you bought it from, look for production date on bottom of bottle, and explain your situation.
For the record, i only order 6 at a time through FS, to avoid any extended shelf sitting. I usually place a couple orders every month for various products through FS.......I will very soon, be extending the Ultimate Line at exceldetail.com.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I back up everything I sell, so if you bought it from me, the same (above) applies.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never seen UPP come out as a "paste", its always been somewhat watery, but never lumpy...
Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Former Sponsor

I'll be calling FS tomorrow to see if there have been any other issues..........
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 AM
'07 NBP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it look like white chunks inside a clear liquid? shake it REALLY hard. up down but also left right for a good 5 min quickly. if u feel the acid build up in ur muscle, ur doin it right. sooner or later u should hear it sounds more gooey.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Excel lookin out for us again. Its weird I bought UPP like a year ago from Excel, and that shit sits outside in the garage (no HVAC there) and it still has yet to separate or anything. I wonder if something has happened to their product quality.

Maybe they are plotting to conspire so that people buy the Polycharged UPP

But that wouldnt work, cuz then people would think twice about FS products. hmmm
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM

To reply to above posts, I shook it up really well for a full two minute. Sorry I described it as "paste," I really didn't know the proper term to use. I guess I can copy excel and say that it's suppose to be creamy. Well any ways, when you shake up the UPP, it should feel gooey, but mine felt like shaking a bottle of juice. The sound and the feeling feels exactly like shaking a bottle of juice and so I was really skeptical. When I first poured it out on the applicator, it went EVERYWHERE. As in it was so seperated that it just flow over the applicator and onto my shoe.

Excel I did buy it from you and I still have the order number. But something has changed, my UPP seems like it's back to normal. It feels gooey again and I didn't do anything different. What the hell? It's still sitting in the garage (room) and it was hotter today than it was when I used it.

Well excel, I'm not one of those pissed off customers, but experiencing this with UPP does kind of make me angry because I felt like I wasted a lot of time detailing the car and it didn't turn out as good. If you can talk to the guys at Four Star and see if they can give a good explanation, then I might stick with FS UPP. But now, I'm looking at Danase Acrylic Paint Sealant and it is looking really good. Instant cure AND apply in sunlight? Danase has become my new paint sealant....
Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM

One question for Excel, can the Danase Pure Polish be applied in sunlight also?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I just checked the same bottle returned months ago and.........
Its still good as new! I have put in a call to FS though to see if theres any other issues with like products...
MD, dont lose your confidance with FS. I dont have an explanation for whats been happening, but I will do my best to find out whats going on and what users need to know.....
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM

yea i guess you're right excel, i shouldnt lose confidence in UPP since its been good to me until now. My bottle is half way through and i guess ill just finish it. also, i think you skipped my post on the question of "can the Danase Pure Polish be applied in sunlight also?"
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Ive never done it that way, nor do I recommend it.
Also, dont base your purchase of any car product on its ability or performance in sunlight.....=)
I know sometimes we dont have choices, but dangit, it just makes it real hard working in the sun, even with the sun friendly products. The only difference is lubricating oils......
Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by exceldetail
dont base your purchase of any car product on its ability or performance in sunlight.....=)
\

Wow, that is good advice. i never thought about that before. with that being said, i just bought turtle wax ice detailer cause it can be applied in the sun . the thing is, i dont have a garage big enough to work in. i wash my car in the morning and the sun is already out and theres no shade. i tried washing it at night but cant see ****. if the product isnt good, atleast it provides some kind of protection because with the schedule that i have, i am only free in the morning and at night
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Truthfully, I can use every product I have, in the sun. Some are more acceptable to this, some are just a PITA. Is there a tree in the street? Side of a building close by, something, anything???
Old 04-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Four Star UPP curdling

I spoke with Four Star yesterday about the two incidences (out of hundreds sold) of UPP curdling. I mentioned I had another customer whos bottle of UPP had somehow gone from perfectly fine one day, to just plain out liquidy the next. After all the shaking, and nothing transpired, he assured me it would be fine. They hadnt had any batch issues, and he only once has witnessed it in person, but was able to return it back to its original state of consistancy.
He was unable to define exactly what was going on in scientific terms, but mentioned it would take a couple different times of shaking it to bring it back to life. (WHich is exactly what happened to me when I had one returned, and to date, it looks good as new).
If the product is shaken, and nothing happens, it returns to that liquidy state, set it on the shelf for a day. Return the next day, give it a quick 15 seconds of shaking and see what happens. If it doesnt go back to as new, return it to me, and I will send you out a new bottle.
I'll play with it, and use it up.
He did go on to mention that it "could be " something to do with the "Polycharger" additive.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing with my bottle of UPP as well. It was like a clear liquid, and white "beads" in the clear liquid, even after shaking. Like others, I left mine in the garage so it hits all different temps. Since it was the first time I used UPP, I figured this was the way it was supposed to be...although the clear liquid had a watery consistency and made it hard to stay on the pad.

Either way, it seemed to work, so I'm not worrying about how it looks...as long as it does it's job. That reminds me...it's about that time of the year to bust out the PC and polishes now that the sun is starting to come out from behind those clouds...
Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Former Sponsor

News flash. I did a super quick wash on my work truck today, and used that UPP from several months ago that cheesed up on me. (Of course its in perfect condition now for some unknown reason)
Anyway, something really unorthodox, I opened the bottle up and splashed some on the truck while still wet. So now I have these creamy blobs on the surface right? I wiped the water off, and the UPP in, which left a super light haze after all was dried. Went over if with one more towel, and I swear, its like I UPP'd with the UDM! I was shocked. Talk about a quick seal? Try it next time guys, just on a quarter panel. WHile still wet, give the UPP a quick shake, then open the cap, and pretend like your going to smack the bottle cap on the car, but stay plenty away from it. The product will disperse from the bottle and leave a splash of product on the surface. Wipe it in just ike your drying the car. Come back a few later and wipe the haze off, and tel me what ya think.....Slicker then a QD, but quicker then sealing it!