Question for Zaino Experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002 | 05:40 PM
Racer

Question for Zaino Experts

Question for all you Zaino experts....I know this will probably get moved to "detailing" but I wanted to make sure someone reads it. I have a 2002 CL S with about 9500 miles and I have not waxed it yet. I'm about to send off my order for ZAINO since everyone bows down to it on this site!!!
Zaino

On the Zaino website it tells me that I should order the following: Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z7. It also tells me to order Z18, the claybar. Do you guys think I need to order the clay bar? I'm a newbie to car detailing so I need some help here.
Old 02-22-2002 | 05:54 PM
Slower traffic keep right

ditto.... I'm having the same problem. I too am going to order Zaino because of the comments I've read on here about it. Just don't know what to get.

I want this thing so shiny that if a fly lands on the paint, it'll slip and break a leg.
Old 02-22-2002 | 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

For your first time, I would definately recommend claying you car ( the fact that almost even wax brand has their own claybars hints that it might be an important step). Basically if you do it RIGHT, it should take a long time and be a bitch but well worth it, considering afterwards you won't have to clay it again. So if you're planning on starting a wax regement, than start it off right. You don't want to build up a beautiful coat of wax over blemishes like rail dust, dirt, and other tiny objects already embedded in your paint. The cost is so minimal, the only question is are you prepared to spend the time to clay it right. (I am not talking about "burning" through your clear coat, it is easy to do right) just takes time, My expirence is that people get about 80% done and start trying to hurry the job.
Old 02-22-2002 | 05:57 PM
'Cooter

Re: Question for Zaino Experts

Originally posted by NoleCLS
Question for all you Zaino experts....I know this will probably get moved to "detailing" but I wanted to make sure someone reads it. I have a 2002 CL S with about 9500 miles and I have not waxed it yet. I'm about to send off my order for ZAINO since everyone bows down to it on this site!!!
Zaino

On the Zaino website it tells me that I should order the following: Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z7. It also tells me to order Z18, the claybar. Do you guys think I need to order the clay bar? I'm a newbie to car detailing so I need some help here.
ok, first off...good job in picking Zaino

second, i didn't get the clay bar, however, im sure over time, u'll realize u need it.

third...the process...wash the car with Original Dawn (the green/blue color) and dry...apply 1 coat of Z1 and let it sit for a few minutes...then u have a choice of using Z2 or Z5...if u have swirls, i'd use Z5...if u don't see swirls, go with Z2 right on top of Z1...once u apply the Z5/Z2, let it dry...u'll know it's dry if u take your finger and slide it across the body with no smearing...if it smears, it's still wet...usually in the winter up north, it'll take multiple hours...if u're in warm weather, less than that...it really varies on the climate u live in...Chodthewako here lives about 45 minutes from me, and he has to wait overnight for his Zaino to dry, while it only takes my Zaino about 1-2 hours to dry, even in the winter here in NY...hard to believe, but it's ultra dry where i live.

ok, so now let's say the Zaino is dry...buff off with a 100% cotton FeldCrest bath towel...when u're done with the whole car, take out the Z6 (the spray bottle)...this acts like the finisher, the sealant to the coat u just put on...it enhances the glossy look too...u DO NOT need to use a lot of Z6 to cover an area of the car...u'll catch on when u realize that excess remains on the body, and u have to rub it in different spots to even it out...when i Z6, i use a different towel than the buffing of the Z1/Z2/Z5...once u're done with the Z6, YOU'RE DONE!!!

for every time thereafter, use the Z7 car wash...it contains polishes from Z2, so it's like Z2'ing while u're washing the car!! after Z7 car washing, go back to Z2/Z5 (notice how u DO NOT use Z1 b/c Z1 is supposed to b used once or twice a year!!! once again, let Z2/Z5 dry before buffing...after buffing, Z6...u're done

as for the clay bar, that's up to u...since i've never used it, i dunno if u use it before or after washing the car...i would think after washing since the clay bar is supposed to dig underneath the surface to get out remaining contaminants.

hope this helps!!! welcome to the Zaino Club!!!! and enjoy!! u'll never feel a smoother surface of any car than yours after u're done Zaino'ing!!! that's a fact!!
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:01 PM
Slower traffic keep right

whoa! So after your car finishes it's first day at the Zaino Spa, you have to use their car wash from then on? Can you not take it to a carwash or will their soaps/wax remove the first Zaino treatment?
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Yup wash with dawn BEFORE you clay, then wash again before waxing.

Some carwashes use claners that can strip your multiple coats of Zaino (not all at once but over time) Dawn also does this. No you don't have to use Zaino's wash concentrate but why not?? they give you sooo damm much of it for the money (I only use a capful per bucket) But really after you've gotten a coat or two on, washing your car and then drying it will be a dream! I promise that you're car will be much easier to clean after waxing and the water just sheets off. I don't think that it's too much to ask of your personal time to spend 15 mins to wash your 30K car, you're gonna spend around that plus 8 bucks to have a touchless do it. Not to mention that they may say "touchless" but they mean "Rimscratchers", I wouldn't pay $8 to have someone scratch my rims
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:30 PM
'Cooter

what he said
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

Scooter,

Do you Zaino your car in a heated garage ? I thought it had to be above 55 deg. or it didn't dry
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:58 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Mick
Scooter,

Do you Zaino your car in a heated garage ? I thought it had to be above 55 deg. or it didn't dry
i thought if it was above freezing

i Zaino in broad daylight, and i think it's good to do that b/c direct sun may heat up the Zaino on the surface of the car...dunno...works fine for me!!
Old 02-23-2002 | 02:40 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Question for Zaino Experts

Originally posted by Scooter

ok, first off...good job in picking Zaino

second, i didn't get the clay bar, however, im sure over time, u'll realize u need it.

third...the process...wash the car with Original Dawn (the green/blue color) and dry...apply 1 coat of Z1 and let it sit for a few minutes...then u have a choice of using Z2 or Z5...if u have swirls, i'd use Z5...if u don't see swirls, go with Z2 right on top of Z1...once u apply the Z5/Z2, let it dry...u'll know it's dry if u take your finger and slide it across the body with no smearing...if it smears, it's still wet...usually in the winter up north, it'll take multiple hours...if u're in warm weather, less than that...it really varies on the climate u live in...Chodthewako here lives about 45 minutes from me, and he has to wait overnight for his Zaino to dry, while it only takes my Zaino about 1-2 hours to dry, even in the winter here in NY...hard to believe, but it's ultra dry where i live.

ok, so now let's say the Zaino is dry...buff off with a 100% cotton FeldCrest bath towel...when u're done with the whole car, take out the Z6 (the spray bottle)...this acts like the finisher, the sealant to the coat u just put on...it enhances the glossy look too...u DO NOT need to use a lot of Z6 to cover an area of the car...u'll catch on when u realize that excess remains on the body, and u have to rub it in different spots to even it out...when i Z6, i use a different towel than the buffing of the Z1/Z2/Z5...once u're done with the Z6, YOU'RE DONE!!!

for every time thereafter, use the Z7 car wash...it contains polishes from Z2, so it's like Z2'ing while u're washing the car!! after Z7 car washing, go back to Z2/Z5 (notice how u DO NOT use Z1 b/c Z1 is supposed to b used once or twice a year!!! once again, let Z2/Z5 dry before buffing...after buffing, Z6...u're done

as for the clay bar, that's up to u...since i've never used it, i dunno if u use it before or after washing the car...i would think after washing since the clay bar is supposed to dig underneath the surface to get out remaining contaminants.

hope this helps!!! welcome to the Zaino Club!!!! and enjoy!! u'll never feel a smoother surface of any car than yours after u're done Zaino'ing!!! that's a fact!!
Wow.....thanks for all the info scooter. I'm putting my order form in the mail tomorrow!!! Hopefully within a week or so I will no longer be a Zaino virgin!!!
Old 02-26-2002 | 01:02 PM
Racer

have you ordered yet?

get the claybar - do the claybar - love the claybar!

no one has ever regretted doing it . . . .ever !
Old 02-26-2002 | 06:17 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Homer2
have you ordered yet?

get the claybar - do the claybar - love the claybar!

no one has ever regretted doing it . . . .ever !
Order went out in the mail today......And yes, I did order the clay bar....someone else suggested it also. But I'm hearing that its going to take a long time to do the first time huh? I guess anything worth doing, it worth doing right huh?

Hope all you guys are right about this Zaino.....I can't wait to get it and hopefully I'll have to wear to look at my ride!!!!
Old 02-26-2002 | 08:20 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I did all of the zaino steps....Z1, Z2, Z5, and Z18 in October....I washed my car three days ago, and the water sheeted off like I just zainoed!!!!
Old 02-27-2002 | 09:40 AM
Racer

Originally posted by NoleCLS

Order went out in the mail today......And yes, I did order the clay bar....someone else suggested it also. But I'm hearing that its going to take a long time to do the first time huh? I guess anything worth doing, it worth doing right huh?

Hope all you guys are right about this Zaino.....I can't wait to get it and hopefully I'll have to wear to look at my ride!!!!
its worth it . . have we ever lied to you ?

and as a note - I can clay the SSEi in my sig - in about one hour . . .

and everytime I do it - i wonder why I even bother to have sex, it feels so good
Old 02-27-2002 | 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Homer2

its worth it . . have we ever lied to you ?

and as a note - I can clay the SSEi in my sig - in about one hour . . .

and everytime I do it - i wonder why I even bother to have sex, it feels so good
Well hot damn!!! I really can't wait for it to get here now!!!
Old 03-01-2002 | 11:43 AM
5th Gear

I noticed you guys didn't recommend ZFX. I highly recommend ZFX instead of Z1 because you can layer 3 coats of Z5/Z2 in one day.