Pre-Zaino and detail questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Zaino and detail questions

Planning on Zainoing my gold colored '99 2.3CL over Christmas. Been doing a ton of reading to learn a lot about it. I plan on doing Dawn/clay with Z7 mixed with water in a spraybottle/wash with Z7/Z1/Z2. I'm not looking to put a ton of Z2 coats on, maybe just 2 initial coats and then every few months after that. (that's what they all say right!)

Couple questions though:
- I wasn't planning on doing Z5 cause I don't notice swirl marks (light colored car) and the sheepskin wash mitt I use is VERY soft so I don't think I have swirls from what I can tell. No big deal to omit Z5?

- I've been using a good chamois to dry the car, is this ok or does it have the potential to scratch or create swirl marks?

- For taking off the Z1+Z2, I'm going to look for the best super-soft 100% cotton towels I can find. I'm in Canada so I don't think we have Cannon/Fieldcrest. Should I be getting 1 big towel and a couple smaller ones maybe?

- Has anyone had success in removing scuff marks on the door sills? I'm leery of rubbing compound, and soap and water doesn't get it in "brand new" condition.

Sorry about the long post...
Old 12-05-2001, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Planning on Zainoing my gold colored '99 2.3CL over Christmas.
Don't you think it'll be a little cold out? (excluding today!).. I've been wondering whether it would be ok to apply Zaino in the winter (besides freezing your ass off)..
Maybe someone else can comment on the 'effectiveness' of applying Zaino in near freezing temps. (ie. January)..

No big deal to omit Z5?
No big deal.. and if you do notice you need it .. you can apply it on top of Z2...

I've been using a good chamois to dry the car, is this ok or does it have the potential to scratch or create swirl marks?
I would think that maybe since it's one relatively small chamois (vs. a large towel) that you increase your chances of picking up something and hence scratching your paint with it...
Check out www.thewaxtest.com for more pointers.. they had a good tip which i'm dying to try: Assuming i guess your car has been zainoed or is silky smooth.. without the noozle on the hose the water will pool on the surfaces and run off .. leaving behind a nearly dry car.. (i hope that makes sense?)

Should I be getting 1 big towel and a couple smaller ones maybe?
I've used two large towels to remove the Z2/Z5.. I don't think one would cut it.. but if you shake it out lots maybe.. the smaller ones aren't useful IMO unless you use one for each little area (ie. two per hood.. etc.) ...

Has anyone had success in removing scuff marks on the door sills? I'm leery of rubbing compound, and soap and water doesn't get it in "brand new" condition.
I think I used the Zaino 'leather cleaner' which can be applied not just to leather if I'm not mistaken.. and it cleaned it up pretty good....

hth
john
Old 12-05-2001, 12:55 PM
Advanced

let me clarify that "excluding today" comment..
I thought you were in TO.. =)

It's like 20degC out today!!! (probably exaggerated.. but warm as hell...)
Old 12-05-2001, 03:05 PM

Well maybe in TO it's cold, but for me it's Vancouver + underground parking + heated = no problem!

I've used two large towels to remove the Z2/Z5.. I don't think one would cut it.. but if you shake it out lots maybe.
I think I'll check out an alternative to my chamois... What brand of towels did you buy, and where did you find them? I went to a couple department stores at lunch today and they didn't have anything supersoft at all. So you have 2 big towels for Z2/Z5, and I assume you have another couple towels used only for drying the car?

That Zaino leather stuff you used, was that Z9 (Leather Soft Spray Cleaner) or Z10 (Leather in a bottle Treatment & Conditioner), and how did it work on the leather too!

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-05-2001, 09:22 PM
Racer

It is your lucky week . . .

Royal velvet are on sale at the Bay stores for a couple of weeks - at stupid low prices. The lowest I have seen in over a year....
I think its 8.64 for a bath sixe 27x50 (better than half off)

I use a water blade - so it only takes one to dry the car - my SSEi is larger than yours - so if you are going to use just towels to dry - then get at least two -

I also use one of them to remove the zaino -

so, since they are on sale - get 4-6 - cant go wrong

also, if you are going to use the detail spray - get a couple of the hand towel size ones . .. they are perfect for that.

get white -

wait a sec. . . didnt i send you the towel info too ? ? ?

Dennis
Old 12-06-2001, 04:16 PM
Advanced

I think i've got 3 towels altogether.. I use the third to remove the Z2/Z5.. and throw one of the 'wet' ones I used to dry the car with in the dryer while the Z2/Z5 dries .. and use that on the lower panels... (incase it's dirty)

I've completely forgeten if its Z9 or Z10.. I remember when i bought it, i thought that I wouldn't bother with both of them.. so after re-visiting the site just now.. i think it'd probably be Z9 ?

Which ever one it was... it worked well.. it definately cleaned.. and made it nice and slippery!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:55 PM

Guess who makes Royal Velvet towels?? Fieldcrest!! I actually compared them side by side at The Bay and they feel pretty much the same. They still don't feel supersoft, but I guess after a few washings they'll be a lot softer... (and I won't use fabric softener!!)

Dennis, they're 55% off right now, but nowhere near $8.64! (Canadian prices). The big bath one is about $44 I think which makes it about $20 after the discount. Regardless, I'll still pick up a few.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:52 AM
Racer

Originally posted by chrw
Guess who makes Royal Velvet towels?? Fieldcrest!! I actually compared them side by side at The Bay and they feel pretty much the same. They still don't feel supersoft, but I guess after a few washings they'll be a lot softer... (and I won't use fabric softener!!)

Dennis, they're 55% off right now, but nowhere near $8.64! (Canadian prices). The big bath one is about $44 I think which makes it about $20 after the discount. Regardless, I'll still pick up a few.
Cannon - Fieldcrest - both names owned by Pillowtex (I think thats the name) They make the Royal Velvet as well as an even softer one - Charisma . . .

$44 is the bath sheet ! I dont use that - I get the towel - list is around $20 - 55 off till the end of month and Im pretty close :P

But then again - now you have me doubting myself - maybe it was their other store - the Home Outfitter . . either way - buy em !
Old 12-10-2001, 12:01 PM
Banned

I just Zaino'ed my car yesterday. Here in Seattle it's pretty cold, but just moved it inot the garage and took out a hair dryer to speed up the process of drying the wax. Do your windshield and wheels (if chrome) as well!!!! Lookin' mighty fine. I was pissed that my girlfriend wouldn't drive me to work this morning so I wouldn't have to leave my car out in the elements!!!

As for drying products, I use The Absorber to dry off my car after the initial wash. I then use three big white 100% cotton Fieldcrest towels for waxing purposes. I usually have two or three crappy towels around for drying the door sills, trunk rails, and wheel fender-well. Don't use and fabric softener OR dryer sheets on your towels. It leaves particles in your fabric that may lead to annoying little scratches.