Polishing NBP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 09:10 PM
OCD

Polishing NBP

Just got a NBP TL and I am planning on polishing it soon. I have a porter cable and have done this several times on my previous dark car with amazing results so Im not stranger here. The question I have is regarding the best polish for dark cars. I have always use poorboys SSR1, SSR 2.5 which work great! but they dust a lot and fill in all the tiny little rock chips then dry white a few days later inside!!!! I am looking for a polish that does not do this!! Suggestions?
Old 03-08-2010 | 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

As far as non dusting goes I use the Optimum line of polishes and they have a long working time .. and don't seem to fill the rock chips ..
Old 03-08-2010 | 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
As far as non dusting goes I use the Optimum line of polishes and they have a long working time .. and don't seem to fill the rock chips ..
Old 03-09-2010 | 02:47 AM
1st Gear

This guy does a great write-up on the NBP detail process.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-pearl-part-1/
Old 03-09-2010 | 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JagerTSX
Keep in mind with this link he is using a rotary and its a sales pitch for products.
Old 03-09-2010 | 08:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I originally bought all the optimum products...and LOVE them...but I found that even the Optimum Compound II didn't get the swirls out for me...even after 2 or 3 passes. That's why I personally opted to give just the Megs M105 a shot. It seems a lot more aggressive and although rock chips were initially more apparent, once I hit it with the Optimum Polish II they were better and sealed with Zaino and they were gone again.

J.
Old 03-09-2010 | 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I originally bought all the optimum products...and LOVE them...but I found that even the Optimum Compound II didn't get the swirls out for me...even after 2 or 3 passes. That's why I personally opted to give just the Megs M105 a shot. It seems a lot more aggressive and although rock chips were initially more apparent, once I hit it with the Optimum Polish II they were better and sealed with Zaino and they were gone again.

J.
As with all products .. once you get to know them they work better . In some cases I'll step up to the Hyper Compound or just mix up a small bottle ot 50/50 Hyper & Compound 11 . Thats the beauty of the Optimum line .. you can mix thier polishes.
Old 03-09-2010 | 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Keep in mind with this link he is using a rotary and its a sales pitch for products.
Dale pretty much tells it like it is doent he?
I have found that you dont "polish" NBP, you massage it.....
Old 03-09-2010 | 11:32 AM

I'm starting to get that too...it does feel like more of a massage to get the desired result. Not at a level of thinking of mixing..I'm still taking my cues from you guys.
Old 03-09-2010 | 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I'm starting to get that too...it does feel like more of a massage to get the desired result. Not at a level of thinking of mixing..I'm still taking my cues from you guys.
When I mix the polishes all I do is take like an oz of say the compound and a oz of the Hyper and mix them in one of those cheap Katsup/Mustard bottles you get for 2/$1 at the $$ stores .. adjust to the situation .. then if I don't use it all I just squirt it in a spare bottle I have for use later .
Old 03-11-2010 | 11:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JagerTSX

Great article and he's a member here.
Old 03-11-2010 | 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Roger555
Just got a NBP TL and I am planning on polishing it soon. I have a porter cable and have done this several times on my previous dark car with amazing results so Im not stranger here. The question I have is regarding the best polish for dark cars. I have always use poorboys SSR1, SSR 2.5 which work great! but they dust a lot and fill in all the tiny little rock chips then dry white a few days later inside!!!! I am looking for a polish that does not do this!! Suggestions?
We offer a variety of polishes, including the Optimum line of polishes, and they simply aren't up to par with the Meguiar's and Menzerna polishes available today. If you are having a problem with the polishes filling in rock chips, I'd recommend a re-wash after polishing using a paint cleaning shampoo, like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. This will remove any polish residue even on the SSR's so you do not experience the dried white polish the days following.

Consider the Meguiar's M105 / M205 polishes for your NBP. Here's a full article on how to properly use the Meg's polishes with your PC 7424XP.

Jesstzn - Regarding our articles, they are some of the most informative articles that people can use to make purchasing and detailing decisions based off of. The writers that publish articles for us are some of the best in the industry and actually make a living doing this (go figure!). Our articles will not steer people wrong and we back up anything they recommend. Isn't your post a sales pitch for Optimum?

Last edited by DetailedImage; 03-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2010 | 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DetailedImage
Isn't your post a sales pitch for Optimum?
No ... I don't sell the product.
Old 03-11-2010 | 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

And regarding the article most of my point was he was using a rotary for the correction not a PC .

As for the M105 .. great product ... too dusty for me and if you have to do another step to remove the residue its another cost and another product.

And for the Optimum line .. if its inferior .. why would you sell it?

The OP was looking for a product that doesn't dust and doesn't fill rock chips with white residue.

I realize your articles are written by people that actually make a living doing this they do great work .... BTW I also do a lot of crorrection of jobs that are done by people that actually make a living doing this .
Old 03-23-2010 | 08:40 AM

Wow...surprised I missed this friendly disagreement.
OP...how's it going? What did you end up going with?
Old 03-23-2010 | 11:26 AM
OCD

haha I actually have not ordered anything yet I plan on detailing good friday weekend so I have about a week to decide. Last night I had my whole cart filled up with product ready to order but I just couldnt do it I had racked up 135 dollars in the cart!! Always happens to me with detailing supplies. I know I can do the job with the pads and Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR-1 I have now but all these new products I want to do it right! I am also debating on claying or not I know I should but the car only has 35K and was supposedly garaged a lot surface feels smooth but it has alot of water spots you can see at an angle. I wish I had just ordered when there was free shipping and 15% off! Also I dont like the fact that the M105 dusts a lot I would like to go from polish to wax without washing inbetween.
Old 03-23-2010 | 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Roger555
haha I actually have not ordered anything yet I plan on detailing good friday weekend so I have about a week to decide. Last night I had my whole cart filled up with product ready to order but I just couldnt do it I had racked up 135 dollars in the cart!! Always happens to me with detailing supplies. I know I can do the job with the pads and Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR-1 I have now but all these new products I want to do it right! I am also debating on claying or not I know I should but the car only has 35K and was supposedly garaged a lot surface feels smooth but it has alot of water spots you can see at an angle. I wish I had just ordered when there was free shipping and 15% off! Also I dont like the fact that the M105 dusts a lot I would like to go from polish to wax without washing inbetween.
If you want to do it right .. clay it ..
I clay my brand new cars .. If you want to see if its rough or not .. put a baggie over your hand and run it over the paint ..

Optimum polishes don't dust.
Old 03-23-2010 | 02:58 PM

^^^
I agree...
whatever imperfections are there you will dig into the paint. Def. clay the first time and every 6 months after if you're going to correct(did I get that right?)

About the stuff...stick with the bare bones...I got was happy with the optimum kit but opted to buy the M105 because I wasn't getting deep enough.

Honestly, and this isn't a knock. If you're looking for ways of cutting corners do yourself a favor...play Call of Duty until you FEEL like doing the detail. Even if it's just in stages. If you do a half azzed job you'll end up having to fix your mistakes and take twice the time you would have to do it right. At least that's how it sounds when you say you don't want to clay and you're trying to avoid having to wash the car in between.

Don't ask me how I know. lol....
Old 03-23-2010 | 04:49 PM
OCD

Ya I hear you guys I'm just gonna order ALL the stuff now its the worst when you set a weekend aside to do it then get out there and realize you don't have all that you need or should.
Old 03-27-2010 | 02:31 AM
Pro

YEA that feeling sucks when youre doing a project and you dont have the right equipment
Old 04-02-2010 | 02:14 PM
OCD

How do you guys get the area under your door handles?? Remove them or try to get it by hand?