Ok so did the detail. Need some ozidation and swirl help. ***56k death***

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Ok so did the detail. Need some ozidation and swirl help. ***56k death***

so i got around to doing the detail on my first black car today. let me just say that i will prob never buy another black car again.

i did:

wash
clay
pre cleaner wax - white pad - speed 4
Klasse AIO - black pad - speed 5

so now i am a bit confused... after claying, the paint on the top panels of the car didn't feel as smooth as it usually comes out after i clay on my other cars... the doors and vertical panels came out like butter...

so i used the white pad with the pre cleaner to see just how much crap would come off...

this was after i finished the hood...

in the shade the car looks 'decent'...

after i shaved the Lexus and the dumb dealership emblem from the left side...

but the sun isn't so forgiving... it seems to only be to top panels that need alot of help... the doors (aside from a few fingernail scratches near the door handle, i think look great after today...)

now for a lighter colored car... granted the paint is only 3 yrs old and always garaged from day one... compared to the lexus which is almost 9 yrs old and who knows what the previous owner did... oh yeah and does dust just cling to black like a magnet... it seemed like after 5 mins, the car was covered in dust...

so where are my gurus at?

oh yeah it hit 89oF today in NJ... my god death...

if anyone is wondering why the driveway is different in the pics of the Lexus, it is because i always wash at my parents house... they have a long slim driveway that has tall houses to provide me shade... my house is the wide driveway with the pavers... no shade from the sun except to take the horrible pics...
Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
First off neither of those products will do any correction as they are chemical cleaners. I have seen pads look like that before and its usually from chemical damage on the clear. ( Check one of my recent posts "One pix for you ) or something like that.

You might want to step up to a orange pad and Optimum Compound to see if you have better luck.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah thats what I was thinking Dale.......
Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
First off neither of those products will do any correction as they are chemical cleaners. I have seen pads look like that before and its usually from chemical damage on the clear. ( Check one of my recent posts "One pix for you ) or something like that.

You might want to step up to a orange pad and Optimum Compound to see if you have better luck.

ty sirs... i initially wanted to get evey thing as clean as possible to see how the paint look and then ask my AZ knowledge base of experts for their advise on which direction to go...

i saw your thread when you posted it the other day... may i asked what you used on the integra?

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Yeah thats what I was thinking Dale.......
looks like you will be getting another order from me soon... more toys!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i saw your thread when you posted it the other day... may i asked what you used on the integra?

I used Optimum compound on a yellow pad in the bad spots , Compound on an orange pad on the rest, then a pas with Optimum polish on a white pad.

Then Duragloss #105.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

what would require the step up to compound II? deeper scratches and swirls?

and the compound you are talking about is called Hyper Compound right? i just want to make sure i order the correct one.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

what would require the step up to compound II? deeper scratches and swirls? Right

and the compound you are talking about is called Hyper Compound right? i just want to make sure i order the correct one.
No .. thats another product. Compound II is between the Polish & Hyper Compound.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Its amazing what products/pads can do in capable hands......You'll be in good shape Andrew....
Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Just some info. that may help.

The early model black Lexus GS were single stage paints. I have seen several of these polished out to mirrored perfection. Dale is right about the cleaner but the paint transfer to the pad is most likely due to a single stage paint. What year is this GS?

As for the dust, I make sure I only use an anti-static QD. Finish Kare, Adams, and Optimum are but a few to check into. I am not sure if Patrick has had a chance to review the new Tuf-Shine anti-static QD.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

No .. thats another product. Compound II is between the Polish & Hyper Compound.
i got confused since i though i read that the hyper compound will remove 2000 grit sand scratches and the Compound II was only at 1200? am i missing something else?

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Just some info. that may help.

The early model black Lexus GS were single stage paints. I have seen several of these polished out to mirrored perfection. Dale is right about the cleaner but the paint transfer to the pad is most likely due to a single stage paint. What year is this GS?

As for the dust, I make sure I only use an anti-static QD. Finish Kare, Adams, and Optimum are but a few to check into. I am not sure if Patrick has had a chance to review the new Tuf-Shine anti-static QD.
when i asked on clublexus, they said that for the 2001 GS, it was a two stage paint... is there another way i can find out?

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Its amazing what products/pads can do in capable hands......You'll be in good shape Andrew....
thanks again Patrick. im going to get in my order tonight to try and get that freebee...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
2016 E350 Sport

when i asked on clublexus, they said that for the 2001 GS, it was a two stage paint... is there another way i can find out?
OK, if that is the case then maybe the hood has been repainted? If the black material on the pad is indeed oxidation then this is new to me. Was the hood the only area that made the pad black?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

yea it was only the front hood.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
OK, if that is the case then maybe the hood has been repainted? If the black material on the pad is indeed oxidation then this is new to me. Was the hood the only area that made the pad black?
The black on the pads I showed in my other thread was off a base / clear red Integra ... and they were black from mostly on the horizontal surfaces ..
I have seen a couple like that around here... I think its acid damage on these ones.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

well i just put in my order... i'll tackle next week after i get everything and post some updated pics.. thanks for your help...

and i just realized that i n00bed... misspelled the word oxidation in the title... hahah
Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i just put in my order... i'll tackle next week after i get everything and post some updated pics.. thanks for your help...

and i just realized that i n00bed... misspelled the word oxidation in the title... hahah
No worries, we all learn something new everyday. So what kind of goodies did you order?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

i ordered the triple pack optimum line (hyper, compound II and polish II) i am eager to see what optimum can do for me in terms of their polish since this will be my first time using them. i have only used their ONR in the past... polishes i usually buy retail meguiers and used sonus polishes...

oh yeah and can't ever have too many pads... since i only have 1 of each pad, i ordered another orange, and white so i don't have to keep rinsing out in case the pads get dirty like in your post...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

Kamlung, I definately see what you mean about tackling a black car. I am going to continue to follow this thread in hopes of learning more before tackling my TL NBP.

Good luck and I admire your guts.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ms0972
Kamlung, I definately see what you mean about tackling a black car. I am going to continue to follow this thread in hopes of learning more before tackling my TL NBP.

Good luck and I admire your guts.
thanks for the complements but the guts arise from me being too cheap to pay someone to do it for me... add in i am too anal to let anyone touch my car and my want to do everything mentality...

but to be honest, the guys here give a lot of encouragement and great advice so it will build confidence in even the noobest detailers...

don't worry though. your other thread have great responses and there is only more to come once you post a pic to see exactly how much 'damage' you have to fix...

but don't wait for me... the only way to learn is to get out there and practice...
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
2016 E350 Sport

The black on the pads I showed in my other thread was off a base / clear red Integra ... and they were black from mostly on the horizontal surfaces ..
I have seen a couple like that around here... I think its acid damage on these ones.
Interesting. Thanks Dale.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 AM
LDH
I

Since you have a 430 it should be two stage, only the early GS300 and GS400 had single stage black paints. I've used the previous version of optimum compound with an orange LC pad and it helped a lot on a black GS, so your recent order will be well worth it.