New black TSX. Recommendations for waxing before winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New black TSX. Recommendations for waxing before winter

I just purchased a '06 Black TSX. I'd love to talk about it, but i'll leave this post on topic.

I'm concerned with washing and waxing it before winter sets in while I still have some temperant days left, I'm in northern Delaware.

I used car soap from Pepboys (dont remember brand) and Nu Finish liquid wax on my old gold Altima. It seemed to work pretty good and water always beaded on the car for months after my last wax. However when i waxed that car i only used 'regular' clean cotton bathroom/dish towels which i'm reading isn't ideal.

I plan on getting the proper cottonmits for washing and drying, and an even-apply towel from meguiar's. Given that, do you think i can continue using Nu Finish wax or should i look into this Meguiar's NXT paste or spray?

Also i've read there's not a big difference between swirling motions or straight and all i can gather is use common sense.

I've tried searching around and i got tons of good general information, i guess i'm mainly concerened with whether Nu Finish brand will be ok or if i should invest in Meguiar's NXT brand.

Last edited by alucardx; 11-27-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
invest some time in ExcelDetails store...hes a vender on here. microfiber towels are your new best friend, keep the bathroom towels in the bathroom, and id invest in a good Carnuba wax for that black beauty, may i suggest Nattys Blue. along with a nice sheepskin washmitt....but im sure the pros will chime in with more detailed steps to follow

in the future we all hope you step the game up with a PC

almost forgot...Welcome, and thanks for doing some searching before posting

Last edited by Stealth CL; 11-27-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

i have a car wash sponge that i got from pepboys sometime ago, i guess i shouldn't use this for washing it either?

i believe this is what you were referring to, http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...4434&pd=220119 so this is better than meguiar's stuff?

and what exactly is a PC. i've seen the acronym referenced before and it seems to be some sort of mechanical/machine thing versus using your hands?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alucardx
i have a car wash sponge that i got from pepboys sometime ago, i guess i shouldn't use this for washing it either?

i believe this is what you were referring to, http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...4434&pd=220119 so this is better than meguiar's stuff?

and what exactly is a PC. i've seen the acronym referenced before and it seems to be some sort of mechanical/machine thing versus using your hands?
NXT is fine for an over-the-counter product. It is easy to apply, has some swirl hiding capability, and produces a pretty good shine. However, there are better products out there (I like Optimum Spray Wax).

PC stands for Porter Cable and refers to the Random Orbit Sander/Polisher made by Porter Cable. Like this : http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B0000222YH
Old 11-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Racer

do you think an even-apply applicator is necessary or would a microfiber cloth be sufficient for putting on the wax. and then another cloth for taking it off.

haven't got any response about Nu Finish brand wax, i guess it's no good?

so looks like i need:
- sheepskin mit for washing, and one for drying
- two microfiber clothes for waxing
- better wax
Old 11-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Drifting

a PC is a porter cable buffer. heres a detailed description on what it does and why its such a great piece of equipment to use taken from another thread

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I think the question should be "Why not a PC?" The Porter Cable 7424/7336 is a very versatile tool and anyone serious about detailing should have one. Yes, their will be an initial investment and in the long run will pay off. Why pay to have your car detailed when you can do it yourself. The PC has variable speeds whereas your other orbital buffers (Wen, Waxmaster, etc) is either has one or two speed settings. The PC is capable of 2500-6000 orbits per minute (OPM) compared to a max of 3200 OPM on other orbital buffers. It can be set at lower speeds for product application as well as removal and higher speeds settings for removing/correcting surface defects. You have the ability to use polishing pads with various degrees of abrasivness or cut. Most of the other orbitals do not have that capability. The PC is very user friendly and will not cause any type of damage to the surface unless one induces or initiates any type of action. The PC will definetly reduce working time allowing you more time to enjoy your vehicle rather than maintaining it. But in the end, the choice is entirely yours, so "Why not a PC?"

as far as what to use.
1)id use meguiars gold class shampoo for washing and i use a chamios to dry. i got the chamios from an auto expo not a cheap 1 from pepboys.
2) isince your car is new i dont think youd need to clay bar your car but if you feel any inperfections or roughness i used the clay bar on those spots. Clay bar= a piece of clay+ detailing spray that you rub over the imperfection or roughness and it takes it all away.
3) i used Klasse All in One with the PC buffer. Klasse is a well known product that gives great results its an acrylic that gives your car's paint added protection. you can get this online. i use pakshak m/f towels to remove the polish as well as the wax
4) S100 carnuba wax. gives the car a great deep shine esp on black cars. get this online or at a harley davidson store.

with my experience with this combo rain has beaded off my car for months and ice slides right off during winter and will make your car shine for months also. i use this combo on my customers cars as well and they are very happy with the results.

hopes this helps.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Drifting

do you think an even-apply applicator is necessary or would a microfiber cloth be sufficient for putting on the wax. and then another cloth for taking it off.

so looks like i need:
- better wax
you use the microfiber clothes to remove the polish or wax. use an applicator for applying wax or polish if you dont have a buffer.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

Use the MF towels for product removal. See this thread for more info about products.
Nu Finish is a cleaner wax and has a lot of petroleum additives. Because of the harsh winters on the upper east coast, I would suggest a polymer and since you mentioned NXT in your orginal post, I am assuming you're considering an OTC product. That being the case, look at the Duragloss line. 105 TPP should address your needs. The sooner you apply something, the better off you'll be. When spring comes aorund, you can do a full exterior detail. This thread about ONR might be of interest to you.
so looks like i need:
I would recommend using 2 sheepskin mitts, one for the top half and one for the bottom portion. Use 2 5 gallon buckets, one for the soap solution and the other for rinsing the mitts. For drying, I suggest using a micro fibre waffle weave (MF WW) towel. Absorption rate is about 7-10x more than any towel.

For product application, I prefer a MF foam applicator or foam pads available at your local auto parts store (Pep Boys, Kragen, etc.)
Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
This will address your washing concerns.......
As for winters in your neck of the woods, Duragloss would be a good step, but I think I would opt for the 111 instead of the 105. 105 is also a cleaner, 111 is a pure sealant, and good one at that. As good as UPP, not quite but its about 1/2 as much also......If your looking for durability through the winter, i would opt with 2 coats of UPP. You can also use either UPPS or AW after washes to ensure adequate protection thru the harsher months. I know washing is a defnite issue come wintertime for you folks. So, consider NRWS if you have a heated garage, then follow up with UPPS or AW.
The beauty of this forum is all kinds of opinions, and none of them are bad or misguided. The decision is up to you! We're always here to help also.........I personally dont use Nubas at all anymore........I feel there are way to many advantages to using synthetics these days..............And as for looks between the two of them, i dont find any differences anymore. Synthetics have been so refined (in a good way), i seriously think theres anyone who could tell the difference short of making a good guess.......
Old 11-28-2006, 03:22 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the forum, ExcelDetail sums up the reasons for our preference for this board as opposed to others-

Quote: The beauty of this forum is all kinds of opinions, and none of them are bad or misguided. The decision is up to you! We're always here to help also.........”

We’ll agree to disagree on ‘nubas’ (Carnauba waxes) though

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Racer

thank you all for your help.

i'll probably be placing an order shortly, exceldetail. i read on another thread you have coupons for members of this forum, is this still true?

for glass, i have stoner's invisible glass and two lint free 'glass' cloths i got from pepboys. is this still sufficient?

Last edited by alucardx; 11-28-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Yes he does, I believe the coupon code is "Acurazine" or you can use "10savings" through Jan 1st. I'm sure Patrick will verify that. As far as Stoners IG, it's one of the most popular window cleaners here.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Racer

thank you. order placed. hopefully it all gets here before the weather gets crummy. supposed to happen this weekend
Old 11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

thank you. order placed. hopefully it all gets here before the weather gets crummy. supposed to happen this weekend
Ships this evening!
Haw, thanks for filling in with the discount info........appreciate it..!
We're suppose to get warm weather (70's) along with 60 mph winds.........Perfect detailing weather in a garage! sheeeeeeeeeesh! I did get to work on a Audi Rs6 last night though! Wooooohooo!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Racer

my friend has a TSX, and he is saying that i shouldn't have to wax a new car and that if i wax it, it will take off the clear coat. i'm pretty sure this is nonsense, right?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Instructor

my friend has a TSX, and he is saying that i shouldn't have to wax a new car and that if i wax it, it will take off the clear coat. i'm pretty sure this is nonsense, right?
you are correct...your friend is taking crazy pills. the age of a car is meaningless...paint is paint and it needs to be protected whether old or new. unless you're using a metal grill brush to apply and remove the wax with you won't be taking any CC off.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Wax? No. Polish, ever so slightly..........(truth be told)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Polish / Wax Differences:
a) A polish contains an abrasive that will remove surface imperfections, i.e. scratches, surface marring, etc, the abrasives are contained in an oil carrier system, as a lubricant and to provide shine, but it doesn’t provide surface protection (b) Wax when applied to a paint surface will provide gloss and surface protection but with very limited durability (c) A Cleaner Wax contains very fine abrasives and solvents that are used to clean the paint surface. It usually contains a higher solvent content than wax (approx solvent / wax ratio of 3:1) Some wax products use an emulsion (oil-in water) to keep more liquid without adding solvents which, in high concentrations could affect durability as it would dilute the wax content, a cleaner wax provides limited surface protection.