Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Klasse AIO Help

I have a special situation...

My '04 TL came with an aftermarket sealant on it. I didn't pay for this, it
appears to have come from the original dealer that mine traded with for the
car. I can't even be 100% sure it's there, but there is just a small sticker that says
"First Place Finish" on the rear window. Some sort of acryllic sealant I am guessing and the
detail guy at my dealer had no clue. I didn't pay for it, but I have to say the
paint is still in great shape after 4 months - so I can't complain. I have not waxed
the car yet, just hand washed. The paint is very smooth and has no defects, so
I would think now is the time to get that 2nd coat on there.

I want to use an Acryllic type sealant, such as Klasse AIO and need to know if
the interaction of this existing sealant (if it's really there) is going to affect
using the Klasse? If I prep the car right - and I have no intention of stripping
the paint since it's near perfect - will it matter? I will wash/clay/wash the car
first, but don't want to strip the paint, or polish, or dawn or use any other abrasive.
The car is garaged nightly.

Also is Klasse AIO easy to use? Anybody who has alot of experience with it,
give me some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Yes, Klasse AIO is very easy to use. As you mentioned, Klasse AIO has an acrylic sealant. It also has cleaners. It has been my experience that layering AIO is not possible as it's cleaner will remove the previous layer. So, I will take a guess and say that if the Sealant the dealer/factory applied is also acrylic (as you mentioned), the AIO may remove it as well.

Having said that, I have my doubts that any protectant that came on the car would be more effective than an aftermarket product like Klasse AIO (or Klasse Sealant Glaze for that matter).

Before you apply any protection, you will want to clean the paint (clear coat) thoroughly. The wash - clay - wash is a great start. You may also consider a paint cleanser like Sonus Paintwork Cleanser (optional); I don't think the First Place Finish would be able to hang on through that. But do not worry about these items stripping your paint. I use these products on my TL 2 - 3 times a year. The point is you do NOT want to seal in any crud, so clean paint is essential.

Then hit it with the AIO. If you would like another coat of acrylic, hit it with the Klasse Sealant Glaze. And, if you really want a nice layer of icing on your cake, you can top it off with a carnauba wax. Just make sure the SG has had ample time to dry (cure) before applying the wax. I actually leave mine in the garage overnight and apply the wax the next morning.

I recently used this combination of products on a friends Mercedes. I posted some Before and After Pictures HERE

Finally, I also found a thread which mentions the First Place Finish that you have on your car. LINK
Old 09-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Klasse AIO

Klasse AIO contains some cleaners that MAY remove previous waxes or polishes. What it does is it cleans the paint surface at the same time putting down it's own polish and protection. IMO the best way to apply AIO is by machine. I tried doing the suggested method I found on the internet from here and used Meg's Final Inspection #34.

In order to appreciate Klasse, you must use the Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) on top of the AIO. I have 4 layers of it on my SSM Type-S and I let other people give me their comments on how the car shines. When filling up at the station at night, the lights from the pumps reflect on the silver paint and it does get noticed. Silver doesn't shine as well as dark colors but Klasse seemed to have brightened the metallic on the silver and gives it a "glow".

Another thing I like about Klasse is the longevity of the shine. The car stays clean much longer because there is literally no static on the paint surface that attracts dust.

But you have to remember that Klasse is an acrylic sealant and not a wax. It WILL give you paint the protection it needs for the next couple of months but you may still need to wax depending on where you live.

I use Meguiar's Professional High Tech Yellow Wax #26. It's a pure Carnauba wax without any polishes and abrasives and does not leave any powdery residue. It "highlights" the shine another notch. But you gotta remember that Carnauba wax doesn't stay on you paint that long. I heard P21S /S100 works great on top of Klasse, but it costs twice as much as the Meg's #26 I use.

Pros like Residual Freedom and exceldetail can give you further detailed advice, I'll just share with you my experience with it.

I used Black and Decker 6.5" and a Simoniz 8" Random Orbit Polishers using a foam bonnet to apply the Klasse AIO. The smaller one allows me to get in some of the nooks and crannies that the bigger 8" pad can't get to. Klasse SG is best applied using a "damp" MF towel followed by a dry plush MF towel. The technique I used was applying the SG all over the car, then letting it sit for an hour or so. Buffing it off requires that you use the same damp MF towel on one hand and a dry MF on the other, using a wipe on/ wipe off method. SG can also be used on the glass, mirrors plastic trim and the rims. Wait at least 2 hours in between layers. Most say 3-4 is the sweet spot and anything more than that will not give you better results.

In between washes, I use Meg's Final Inspection #34 or Eagle 1 Wax As U Dry to keep the shine up (using MF towels).
Maybe another coat of Meg's HTYW #26 before winter. But if I get my hands on P21S or S100, I'll definitely try that!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Racer

I've recently tried Meguiar's #26 and S-100. The #26 took away a little shine from my initial NXT layer. It definitely makes it deeper looking on dark colors. Application was not bad. I then picked up some S-100 at a local Harley dealer. Now I know what it's like when people say "It goes on like butter." Really easy on and off, as long as you don't let it dry. Now the shine is back! Very deep, wet and shiny! I used to use Zaino. It was very shiny and durable, but lacked the depth that I was looking for. When I use up my NXT, I may try Klasse next and top it with one of the Pinnacle or S-100 carnubas.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
You could apply a layer of SG on there, although i would suspect a thorough cleaning is actually in order. If your completely satisfied with the looks now, go ahead and put a layer of SG on. If you think it could look better, then your going to have to start from scratch as suggested. Wash, clay, polish, seal.
Theres really no magic product out there that dealers use, there actually contractors, or their own body shop, using products like Zaino (boring) or Klasse (depthless). But they do provide excellent durability. Your best bet at this point? Self maintenance with good products...on a regular basis. You think it looks good now? Give it 6 hrs of undevided attention with some excellent products and microfibers, then come back and talk to us ! Sometimes the look grows on you, until its given some attention.....then "WOW"! Let us know if you need some product recommendations or techniques, here to help....
Old 09-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rock
I've recently tried Meguiar's #26 and S-100. The #26 took away a little shine from my initial NXT layer. It definitely makes it deeper looking on dark colors.
A few friends have tried on the NXT. Their initial impression was that the car/ truck never shined that way before- but...

Most of them noticed a few days later that the shine did not last that long, it doesn't "bead" water anymore and they either have to use a spray-on product like QD or re-apply NXT (I don't think the product is layerable since it has "cleaners") to put the shine back on it's former glory. I don't want to put the product down, but for me, It's just a little overpriced and not quite the long-lasting product I'm looking for.

I can't have first hand impressions since I don't use the product, but like what the name implies, it's simply a "next generation" of wax containing man-made polymers, and just like any other wax wears off the finish after a while.

I'm happy with my Klasse twins- it gives me the protection I know will last and the ability to be topped off with a wax to increase the depth. For the silver finish, this definitely works for me.

Like what exceld said, it's a constant learning thing. I always thought that wax is wax, no matter how you call it and all it does is make the car shine.

The important thing I learned so far is what to use and try and what NOT to use like "cleaner" waxes that will literally erase all the work that you have previously worked hard on. It make you feel somewhat of a pro since people come up to you and ask what you put on your car to make it shine that way, then you go into detail and explain.

I only have the experts here to thank for the wealth of info I learned so far. And I know this will go a long way, well into my '07 Anthracite 6M.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Can you put SG right over the AIO as soon as it's done?

Also, if the paint is in excellant shape and perfectly clean,
can I go straight to SG? I don't think I need polish of
any sort since the paint is only a few months old and
perfectly smooth.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smr2112
Can you put SG right over the AIO as soon as it's done?

Also, if the paint is in excellant shape and perfectly clean, can I go straight to SG? I don't think I need polish of any sort since the paint is only a few months old and perfectly smooth.
Like what exceld said, you COULD. AIO seems to clean up the paint for the SG to adhere properly. But if your paint is top shape, you can go straight to the SG. AIO just ensures that the SG lasts as long as it should.

If you don't mind the work, clay it first, then do the SG. I find that either a damp MF towel or a damp sponge applicator works better than a cotton rag.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vicman17
A few friends have tried on the NXT. Their initial impression was that the car/ truck never shined that way before- but...

Most of them noticed a few days later that the shine did not last that long, it doesn't "bead" water anymore and they either have to use a spray-on product like QD or re-apply NXT (I don't think the product is layerable since it has "cleaners") to put the shine back on it's former glory. I don't want to put the product down, but for me, It's just a little overpriced and not quite the long-lasting product I'm looking for.

I can't have first hand impressions since I don't use the product, but like what the name implies, it's simply a "next generation" of wax containing man-made polymers, and just like any other wax wears off the finish after a while.

I'm happy with my Klasse twins- it gives me the protection I know will last and the ability to be topped off with a wax to increase the depth. For the silver finish, this definitely works for me.

Like what exceld said, it's a constant learning thing. I always thought that wax is wax, no matter how you call it and all it does is make the car shine.

The important thing I learned so far is what to use and try and what NOT to use like "cleaner" waxes that will literally erase all the work that you have previously worked hard on. It make you feel somewhat of a pro since people come up to you and ask what you put on your car to make it shine that way, then you go into detail and explain.

I only have the experts here to thank for the wealth of info I learned so far. And I know this will go a long way, well into my '07 Anthracite 6M.
I heard about the NXT durablility issues before I purchased it, but I just had to see for myself what others were talking about (Combo depth, shine, etc.). My car is not a problem with the durability issue, since it is always in the garage and hardly driven. However, I did try it on my red truck last week (always outside). It did look deeper and wet, with a nice shine. One week later after some rain, it wasn't as shiny but water beads were still present. It wasn't that slick anymore either. Oh well, maybe after I use up this bottle someone else will come out with another polish/sealant for me to experiment with. If not, I may just go back to Zaino or try Klasse for longer protection.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

The impact of the shine I guess depends on the individual. The diminishing gloss seems to be alleviated these days with products such as Quick Detailer/ Showtime. Even Eagle 1 WAUD can be used to bring back the shine. There are also some car wash soaps that contain some Carnauba to add another layer of wax on top after the wash.

I'm sure the wax is still there and protecting the finish however long that may last.

By the time we get used to a product and almost swear by it, a new one comes along and takes its place and steals all the glory. I always thought Liquid Glass was IT. I used it eversince I had my 92 Mustang 5.0. I would spring for the $25.00 or so per can 'coz I knew back then it was second to none and gave me real-time protection and lasted thru the winter. But after a while, the tedious process of re-applying it and the superior results and ease of application of Klasse stole LGs glory from me.

I'm sure there's another one lurking around the corner.