My plan of attack, what do you think? Which pads should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My plan of attack, what do you think? Which pads should I use?

Spring is here, time to kick off the new season with a complete detail. I will be attempting claying and swirl removal for the first time. This is what I plan on doing, what do you think?

1 -Wash w/ dishwash detergent
2 -Claybar with lube
3 -Wash w/ carwash soap
4 -Four Star Swirl Mark Remover
5 -Four Star Polish
6 -Four Sar UPP

That's it. Swirls are about moderate, I polished and waxed numerous times throughout the year using Blackfire products.

Would any claybar suffice given my car's in decent shape?

What pads should I use for steps 4-6? (PC 7424)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if your going to clay the car and polish the car, i dont see a need to wash with dishsoap....

i havent done my car yet, but i was thinking i would start light first, in your case, i would think you would want to start with the polish first, then if you dont get the desired results go to the swirl remover....no sense in using an extra step if you dont need to...know what i mean...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SicK TypeS
Spring is here, time to kick off the new season with a complete detail. I will be attempting claying and swirl removal for the first time. This is what I plan on doing, what do you think?

1 -Wash w/ dishwash detergent
2 -Claybar with lube
3 -Wash w/ carwash soap
4 -Four Star Swirl Mark Remover
5 -Four Star Polish
6 -Four Sar UPP

That's it. Swirls are about moderate, I polished and waxed numerous times throughout the year using Blackfire products.
Looks good, but as previously stated, you don't have to use dishwashing soap. Is the FS Polish the Pre Wax Cleanser? If yes, really not needed and normally used if the paint has no surface imperfections. The SMR will remove light swirls and finishes quite well. What Blackfire products do you have? FSS UPP is quite similar to BF in terms of slickness and shine. I haven't had the opportunity to use the new formula (BF Wet Diamond AFPP).
Would any claybar suffice given my car's in decent shape?
Fine grade claybar
What pads should I use for steps 4-6? (PC7424)
What pads do you currently have? LC/Erasure white or orange will work. Start with white then go to orange if needed.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Instructor

I am confused, i thought the whole point of claying your car was to start a new, by taking out any previous wax that was in the car. and how you do that was by washing it with dish soap.

Is it a good idea to clay bar without washing the car with dish soap? is the a positive or a negative?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by itsme27
I am confused, i thought the whole point of claying your car was to start a new, by taking out any previous wax that was in the car. and how you do that was by washing it with dish soap.

Is it a good idea to clay bar without washing the car with dish soap? is the a positive or a negative?

Claying removes contaminats and it may or may not remove all of the wax/sealant.

Therei s no real need to wash with Dawn unless your applying a sealant right after claying or or not claying at all. Dawn will help remove residual wax and oils gicing the sealant a good surface to bond to.

BUT... in reality if your going to do it right .. polish the car out .. it will remove the old wax/oils and QD residue. if not .. at least use a cleaner like Klasse AIO or PoliSeal.

Alternate is to wipe the car down after claying with a 50/50 solution of IPA & water.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Instructor

I do not mean to thread jack i just think this would further the instruction and would help the OP figure out this process as well as mine.

This is what i was planning on doing for my 07 nhb.

#1 - Wash Car with Dishsoap
#2 - Clay Bar w/ lube
#3 - Wash Car w/ car wash soap (zaino brand)
#4 - Use Poorboy's SSR1 & SSR2 for some swirls and scratches
#5 - Use Zaino-2
#6 - Use Zaino 5
#7 - Use Zaino-6
#8 - Lay down and have a drink

Now the dish soap part after searching here, I will no longer due. Can anyone recommend me a product to help me prep the car, because I feel the Zaino Soap is not strong enough.

Am I missing anything? Thanks for any advice.

And to the OP i probably would not chance it with dish soap
Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsme27
I do not mean to thread jack i just think this would further the instruction and would help the OP figure out this process as well as mine.

This is what i was planning on doing for my 07 nhb.

#1 - Wash Car with Dishsoap
#2 - Clay Bar w/ lube
#3 - Wash Car w/ car wash soap (zaino brand)
#4 - Use Poorboy's SSR1 & SSR2 for some swirls and scratches
#5 - Use Zaino-2
#6 - Use Zaino 5
#7 - Use Zaino-6
#8 - Lay down and have a drink

Now the dish soap part after searching here, I will no longer due. Can anyone recommend me a product to help me prep the car, because I feel the Zaino Soap is not strong enough.

Am I missing anything? Thanks for any advice.

And to the OP i probably would not chance it with dish soap
Quality carwash shampoos are are not formulated to remove previous layer of waxes. They are used to rid the surface of contaminants and dirt by using lubricants to create a slick surface that can be rinsed off without causing damage to the surface. Claying and the use of a polish should remove any previous layers of protection. Polish with SSR after claying. After the SSR, Z-5 with SFX if needed, then Z-2 w/SFX if using multiple layers (up to 3?). If not using ZFX, 24 hr cure before application of next layer. I think I got that right and hopefully Jess or anyone who uses Zaino will confirm or correct. Oh BTW, prep would be considered anything done prior to applying waxes/sealants.