Meguiars DA Kit + BFWD + Pinnacle Signature Series 2 + NBP TLS =

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Meguiars DA Kit + BFWD + Pinnacle Signature Series 2 + NBP TLS =

So I decided to play with my new toys this last weekend...

I won the Pinnacle LSP from Autogeek.net on here and had ordered the DA kit from a vendor not long ago and it had been sitting in my garage collecting dust...

I started off with a decent canvas already as it was only about 6 months ago that I did a correction on the TL...But I was never 100% happy with the results (I am OCD)...Wasn't enough time to do the expedition...Ok maybe there was enough time and beer but I wasn't in the mood to work on the land barge...

1. I started off with a good wash with Chemical Guys Glossworkz (also removed front license plate).
2. Pulled the car in the garage and dried it with some nice waffle weaves I bought from Chemical Guys.
3. Broke out the Chemical Guys Clay bar and Luber and hit the entire car with a good claybar action.
4. Gave the car another good spray down (no shampoo) with distilled water and pulled it back in the garage and dried it off with some ww's.
5. Taped up some minor stuff
6. Started with the Megs DA kit...I DO NOT like their backing plate so I just used the one I use for my foam pads.
7. Primed the correction pad with the megs correction solution (smells like candy) and went to work. I found that I needed 2 passes with the system to get the desired cut. The pads and solution work VERY well together.
8. Wiped the car down with IPA and a nice MF
9. Primed the polishing pad with the megs polishing solution (smells like blueberrys) and went to work. Again hit it with 2 passes for desired results.
10. Wiped the car down with IPA and a nice MF
11. Applied Black Fire Wet Diamond in a thin coat covering the entire car.
12. I let the car sit with the BFWD on the car for 18 hours. Alot of people dont like to do this but I have no issues with it as my car sits in the garage and no doors are opened during this time.
13. Wiped the BFWD off with a MF and then let the paint breathe for about 2 hours.
14. Applied Pinnacle Signature Series 2 LSP to the car and let it steep for an hour.
15. Removed Pinnacle Signature Series 2 LSP with a MF
16. Applied Chemical Guys P40 with a MF and was finished.

All in all I have to say I LOVE the Meguiars DA Kit and I feel that it does a great job...I am sure people can do better with pads but for me the DA kit does just fine...I had NO DUSTING with it...Hell I really didnt have to tape up anything IMHO because it works great with everything...The Pinnacle Signature Series 2 LSP went on so smooth and was a joy to work with. I was very impressed by it to say the least. It came off just as good as it went on and left a nice shine that I couldn't be happier with. I have been all about AGHD for a while now but I have to say that this Pinnacle Signature Series 2 LSP is right there with it if not better. It really made me want to try out the other line of LSP that Pinnacle has. Anyways on with the pictures:

Yes it was like 90+ degrees and humid as hell...The hottest weekend of the year and I pick it to detail my car LOL...Its well worth it.

Oh and I LOVE this light setup LOL

Please feel free to critique my technique/process as I am a student of the game and am needing to learn as much as possible.

-Chris
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Looks great ... nice job ... one thing I'd change tho is letting the sealant set on the car for 18 hours serves no purpose and even tho the garage seems dust free it isn't and you risk reubbing dust into it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Looks great ... nice job ... one thing I'd change tho is letting the sealant set on the car for 18 hours serves no purpose and even tho the garage seems dust free it isn't and you risk rubbing dust into it.
The only reason it sat so long is I fell asleep inside LOL

I know the dust will settle in the garage but typically I will a very lightly p40 sprayed MF to do the removal.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The car looks excellent Chris.

The Signature Series II looks great on all colors and is also pretty durable for a carnauba paste wax.

If you really want to make the paint pop, apply a thin coat of the Souveran Liquid Spray Wax in about a month.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
The car looks excellent Chris.

The Signature Series II looks great on all colors and is also pretty durable for a carnauba paste wax.

If you really want to make the paint pop, apply a thin coat of the Souveran Liquid Spray Wax in about a month.
I will order some...Definitely enjoying the line of products...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Pro

Im going to try this same routine on the expedition when I have a chance...
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Results look fantastic. No before pictures of the paint though? I'm just curious as to what level of cut the Meguair's MF system can offer.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
Results look fantastic. No before pictures of the paint though? I'm just curious as to what level of cut the Meguair's MF system can offer.
See if this helps...

This is when I first bought it:

It had been SEVERLY neglected...And the car is Nighthwak Black Pearl which is a pain to keep clean and with honda's soft clearcoat it makes it that much harder...

I then gave it the best detail and correction I knew how...Sadly I didnt know 100% what I was doing and I didnt work the compound or polish nearly as much as I needed so I wasnt 100% happy with it...

Here was what I did with this detail:

Washed Car
Dried Car
Cleaned windows with GC Window Cleaner
Taped Car Up
Clay Bared car
Optimum Compound with Green pad
IPA
Optimum Compound with Yellow Pad (The green didnt cut enough)
IPA
Optimum Polish with Green pad
IPA
Black Light - By Hand
*Let the black light cure for 1 hour*
V7 - By Hand
*Allowed to cure overnight*
Autoglym HD - By Hand
*Let sit for 1 hour*
Buffed by Hand
Buffed wheels by hand
Applied megs tire protectant by hand
Cleaned leather with Zaino Cleaner
Conditioned leather with Zaino Conditioner
Cleaned all trim with Megiaurs trim cleaner/protectant
Vacuumed floors

While it was looking better then it did I still wasn't happy with it...

I feel that with this last detail I really got that wet look I wanted with that deep shine on the black which makes the blue pearl and metallic flake pop and dance a jig in the sun...Not sure if that has to do with the BFWD vs the Blacklight or the difference in LSP's...But I likes it...

Now to hit the interior...I have leatherique cleaner and rejuvenating oil...So I need to get my wifes spare hair dryer, 4 black garbage bags and take advantage of all this sun to get my seats to the level I want them at...

Here is the interior just for a teaser...

And of course all other surfaces that are not leather get 303 Aerospace Protectant...
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Pro

I feel the Megs DA Kit cuts just as well the foam pads...With ALOT less mess...

Also if the D300/D301 dont cut enough try using M105/M205...
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
A bacon well done!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
A bacon well done!!!!!!!!
Epic Meal FTW
Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i gotta admit, this was like reading playboy....
just fapped at the pictures.

how long did it take you?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Looks great, nice work.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
I've been skeptical of the Meguiars DA kit, BUT, I am slowly coming around to it. I keep seeing threads here and over at Autopia with great success.

Dude, you did a phenomenal job!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Looks great Chris!

I had two NHB Acuras previously an they are a real treat when done up nicely as you have.

What was the function of the P40 as an LSP? I thought it was a polish not an LSP?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
i gotta admit, this was like reading playboy....
just fapped at the pictures.

how long did it take you?
About 10 hours...

Originally Posted by terdonal
Looks great, nice work.
Thanks

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
I've been skeptical of the Meguiars DA kit, BUT, I am slowly coming around to it. I keep seeing threads here and over at Autopia with great success.

Dude, you did a phenomenal job!
Thank You...The kit is well put together...

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Looks great Chris!

I had two NHB Acuras previously an they are a real treat when done up nicely as you have.

What was the function of the P40 as an LSP? I thought it was a polish not an LSP?
The P40 is the Chemical Guys Quick Detailer (not sure what they call it now)...The LSP I used was the Pinnacle Series II...