Meguiar's 3 Step Deep Crystal System

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiar's 3 Step Deep Crystal System

Anyone use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Deep Cleaner and Polish? I got a Black TSX with some minor swirl marks. Or should I just clay then use the Deel Cyrstal Polish? Or does it matter???? Is claying better/worse/same as using a paint cleaner like Deep Cleaner? Since this is a new car, I'm leaning towards claying then polishing.

Any thoughts????
Old 01-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Anyone? Anyone?????
Old 01-27-2004, 11:56 AM
CDR
Instructor

Re: Meguiar's 3 Step Deep Crystal System

Originally posted by Corbon91
Is claying better/worse/same as using a paint cleaner like Deep Cleaner? Since this is a new car, I'm leaning towards claying then polishing.
Claying is very different than polishing (Meguiars Paint Cleaner), and will not remove swirls or scratches. I haven't used Meguiars Deep Cleaner, check out the reviews section on Autopia and the "Car Wash" forum on this site. Look especially at how abrasive the "cleaner" is, product names are often misleading in this category.

Imagine your car finish is a VERY small landscape with boulders and gullies or river beds ... claying pulls out the boulders, and polishing rounds over the edges of the gullies (or even flattens this micro-landscape). Clay removes objects that rise above the level of the surrounding clear coat. It's great for removing tar, sap, adhesives on delivery, paint splatters, minerals left by water, and other common things that sit on top of the finish. Done correctly, it's easy, fast, and low risk to the finish. And your car will feel glassy smooth afterwards.

Polishing is the only way to physically remove swirls -- you round over the edge of the scratch groove, or even remove enough finish that everything is completely level. But it is a potentially destructive process, has some risk depending on abrasiveness, and you don't want to use any more abrasive polish than necessary. You can hide the swirls with many waxes, but they'll come back in a few weeks as the wax wears off.

Since you're curious, try claying and experience what it does and doesn't do. I use Clay Magic brand since it was available locally (Pep Boys), inexpensive ($10), and was well regarded by experienced detailers. It's a very handy tool for car care.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I love using the Clay Bar! For those who haven't used a Clay Bar, but are thinking of using one, be sure to use a lubricant. Regular car wash detergent/soap works very well for me as a lube. It's amazing what a clay bar still picks up AFTER you do a regular wash.

Sorry, I don't know about Maquire's product. I currently have Turtle Wax 2000--which isn't wax--but it doesn't seem to last very long. I hope to use it up soon and then try something else.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the responses! Here's my plan:
1. Clay
2. Polish using Maguiar's Step 2 Deep Crystal Polish
3. Wax

Brad - I too use Turtle Wax Finish 2001. It's ok but I prefer a wet look to my car since it's black. But I also like the polymer's protection properties since the car is outside 10+ hours on workdays. Maybe when Maguiar's new NXT wax comes out, I'll try that. It's either that or putting on a layer of carnuba wax on top of the Finish 2001. We'll see....
Old 01-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Here's how I clean my Boxster:

1. Wash with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash... soap and bucket. Always wash first with lots of high-pressure water.

2. Clay bar with Mother's quick detailing spray as a lube or Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System

3. Clean... Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner . This is still necessary, it gets out the nasty oxidation and so on.

4. Polish... Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish. For that deep shine!

5. Wax: Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax. Nice, and a heck of a lot cheaper than Zymol (which is great, but too much for my leased car).

6. Wax again.

Use only 100% cotton towels/diapers. I also use a few good synthetic chamois for drying & buffing.

Pick your brand, but I stay away from Turtlwax & Armorall. Mothers and Meguiars are good store brands, with Zymol being one of the great top-shelf brands. I use their rubber treatment on the seals around my convertible top and windows.

For cleaning rims, I recommend P21S wheel cleaner... good stuff.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Corbon91
Thanks for the responses! Here's my plan:
1. Clay
2. Polish using Maguiar's Step 2 Deep Crystal Polish
3. Wax

Brad - I too use Turtle Wax Finish 2001. It's ok but I prefer a wet look to my car since it's black. But I also like the polymer's protection properties since the car is outside 10+ hours on workdays. Maybe when Maguiar's new NXT wax comes out, I'll try that. It's either that or putting on a layer of carnuba wax on top of the Finish 2001. We'll see....

I wouldn't do this if I were you. Meguir's polish is actually fairly harsh, and you could wind up causing swirls or little micro-scratches. A better option, might be to go with the Klasse "twins" (All-in-one and sealent glaze).
Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by darth62
I wouldn't do this if I were you. Meguir's polish is actually fairly harsh, and you could wind up causing swirls or little micro-scratches. A better option, might be to go with the Klasse "twins" (All-in-one and sealent glaze).
This is a good point considering your car is black. My Boxster is silver and hides swirls nicely... and the polish is necessary for me to get the layers of NJ highway crud, oxidation, etc... off of the paint. That, and Porsche uses several layers of soft clear coat to withstand frequent washing.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by darth62
Hmmm.... I read one thread here where one poster had a CG and used the Maguiar's step 2 and he claims that it removed the swirl marks but he had a CG......

Here's the link: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=6154

I don't recall seeing the Klasse at Pep Boys the other day. I did see Mother's products. I want something that I can get at my local Pep Boys or Kragen.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Instructor

There's another thread in which a poster recommended Meguiar's cleaner wax. http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...9274#post89274
Would this be a better alternative than using the polish???
Old 01-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Consumer Reports tested the Meguirs products and found that they caused hazing and small scratches. Now, the products may APPEAR to remove swirls, because they temporarily fill in scratches and other imperfections with wax. If they are actually removing swirls, they must be very abrasive and are probably not suitable for use on a new car.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Looking at this site, it's got nothing but rave reviews. http://www.carreview.com/pscParts/Ca...7_2906crx.aspx

Do you have a link to the Consumer Report or did you read it in their magazine???
Old 01-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Not an Ashtray

You can go to www.consumerreports.org, but you'll only be able to access all the reviews if you are a subscriber.

There are, btw, only two ways to remove swirls: You can use something so abbrassive that it cuts the finish, or you can use something that is fluid it enough that it fills in (and hides) imperfections.

If you want to see reviews of all these products, go to www.autopia.org. That is the best source for information on waxes and other detailing products.