Lexol made my seats shiny and sticky, yuck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Lexol made my seats shiny and sticky, yuck.

So I went out and bought the Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner based on the great feedback in these forums. I picked up the wipes instead of the spray since that's all PepBoys had at the time and it seemed more convienent. I followed the instructions and applied the cleaner and conditioner to my seats, but the result was not what I expected. I wanted my seats to be restored to the nice matte finish like when it was new, instead they have a cheesy shiny look and are super sticky. No amount of buffing seems to smooth it out. So did I do something wrong when I applied it, or is this how Lexol works? If so is there some other product that won't make my seats shiny and sticky? It's nasty!

Last edited by ajeetm; 01-03-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The spray bottles are usually better than the wipes. But with lexol, the wipes are as good as the spray bottles. If you use too much conditioner, it'll leave your seats like that. Don't worry. It should disappear after a few days.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Ewwwwwwwwww !!!!!!
I'd start over with some Woolite, and 303 or Four Star Leather Gel Protectant.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Still Lovin my 06

I did not have this problem and just used it on my steering wheel. well, it did add some shine to it, but i like the sine. i used it sparingly with the spray bottle, applying very little at a time, and rubbing it in very very well with a cotton cloth (old shirt). i love how it looks. didn't use it on the seats yet, but i'd imagine if you use too much conditioner, it would definitely leave them sticky. you definitely have to make sure you use the cleaner properly before applying the conditioner. but i think it's mostly just trial and error to get the feel you want.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've used lexol (cleaner and conditioner) on my drivers seat, and it's shiney...

I thought it was just due to me sitting in it all the time, but now I'm wondering... Guess I'll have to do the passenger seat this spring to see if I can get them to match
Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I applied this to both the driver and passenger seat. I noticed that the bottom of the passenger seat was less shiny than the driver side. I guess it's because it's less worn. But the shoulder bolsters on both seats seem to have a different texture and are super shiny. But overall they do seem less sticky than when I applied it yesterday. Well I guess I'll keep the wipes but I'll try not to apply as much. Still not happy tho.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:32 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Lexol is the bomb.

Use the cleaner like soap, spray it on and then use a wet cloth to wipe it up, repeat with another wet cloth to get the soap off. Then saturate a cloth with the conditioner and wipe down the seats. The seats will obviously be shiney when they are wet but the lexol conditioner dries to a matte finish, not much of a shine at all.

I've tried a bunch of Leather treatments too, I find Lexol to be among the best around, with the best pricing..
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use lexol it does leave it sticky if you apply to much, i was using mink oil on my maxima leather i think iam going back to that. it was awesome stuff but i cant find it all the time. you have to use the paste, the sofest leather you ever had.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought the Meguiar's wipes and it did the same thing. It left my seats very shiny and oily. I put it on yesterday afternoon and it's still oily to the touch today. I wanted to put it on my steering wheel, but there's no way now.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Most leather product care products require a set time. Then come back and rewipe......
Old 02-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did go out today and wipe them down. It's definitely better now.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Instructor

I gave the Lexol twins (cleaner and conditioner) a try last summer, mooching from my parents, who had been using Lexol on a leather chair for years. Well, I was not at all happy with the results, and for just the same reasons ajeetm gave in the post that opened this thread: stickiness and shininess. After waiting a few hours to see if the seats' appearace would improve appreciably, and finding that it didn't, I wiped the seats down with a damp towel and largely succeeded in "undoing" what the Lexol had done. A few months later, I read an Autopia post in which Mothers Reflections Advanced Leather Care was praised. (It's an all-in-one product -- a cleaner and conditioner in one bottle.) Even though I'd read favorable posts about many other leather-care products, I decided to buy the Mothers Reflections. What a difference! It was easy to apply, it didn't clog the perforations in the leather, it seemed to absorb quickly -- within a half-hour -- and the need for a final wipedown was minimal. I hereby acknowledge that these are the only two leather-care products I've tried; there may well be a product that's superior to the Mothers, but I honestly can't imagine how it could be much better. I'm fully satisfied with the Mothers and expect to stay with it until the 24-ounce bottle is empty. (The price is very reasonable, by the way.) To anyone wondering what leather-care product to use or who has tried Lexol or something else and wasn't pleased with the result, I say I think you'd be impressed by the Mothers Reflections Advanced Leather Care.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Lexol Leather Cleaner

I may have an explanation for your lack of expected results using the Lexol twins.

The Lexol cleaner and conditioner are designed for use on uncoated leathers. The stuff works wonders on my leather furniture.

The leather in the Acura (and in most modern cars) is coated with a top veneer of vinyl. This helps the leather withstand the rigors of daily use and the extreme conditions that can occur inside a car. The conditioners in Lexol cannot penetrate the vinyl coating (this is why you are left with a sticky film that does not absorb over time).

Top coated leathers should be cleaned and conditioned like vinyl. Personally, I use a cleaner and conditioner that is designed for both leather and vinyl. My current favorites are:

Blackfire Interior Cleaner
Blackfire Interior Protectant
Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle

The products above leave a matte finish when not over applied. I also use 303 on my vinyl only; however, many have had great success protecting their leather with the stuff.

Last edited by VTECHokie; 02-19-2006 at 04:42 PM.