Im Confused ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im Confused ?

I understand the whole detailing process all the way up to the sealant -> wax part.

the steps should go like this
wash
clay
wash
polish
sealant
wax

If im right is it mandatory to do the sealant part ?

If so what products (otc) should i use ?

I guess after the sealant do i immediatly wax ?

If so which products (otc) can i use ?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out this thread There is a link from Hawhyen51 has a link to a good article in the last post. A sealant is a wax, just a polymer based wax, not a carnuba. I think the article will help you out.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by little257622
I understand the whole detailing process all the way up to the sealant -> wax part.

the steps should go like this
wash
clay
wash
polish
sealant
wax
That's pretty much the normal process although it's not necessary to wash after claying since polishing will remove any residual clay.
If im right is it mandatory to do the sealant part ?
The term wax refers mostly to natural waxes like carnuba. Synthetic products on the other hand are commonly referred to as sealants. So basically, when you apply a protective layer, you're sealing the paint. Check the Autopia "How To" Library for more detailed info about car care.
If so what products (otc) should i use ?
The most common OTC products available are Megs (NXT, #21) and Mothers (Reflections, FX).
I guess after the sealant do i immediatly wax ?
You can but the durability of a carnuba is minimal compared to a synthetic so you would be applying a coat every 4-6 weeks depending on the environment your vehicle is exposed to.
If so which products (otc) can i use ?
Natty's, P21S and S100 are carnuba waxes mentioned frequently (online). Off hand, I can't think of a carnuba wax available OTC. Hopefully someone can offer a recommendation.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
And if thats not enough, this is a little more involved, of course for your viewing pleasure...Some additional info............Michael Mankarious is very knowlegable, and is with einszett car care of America.......Pleasure to speak with on the phone.....(He played a dirty trick on me this week, so he's human also!!)
I wouldnt put it here if it wasnt the truth!
Skip that second wash also......
Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
That's pretty much the normal process although it's not necessary to wash after claying since polishing will remove any residual clay.

The term wax refers mostly to natural waxes like carnuba. Synthetic products on the other hand are commonly referred to as sealants. So basically, when you apply a protective layer, you're sealing the paint. Check the Autopia "How To" Library for more detailed info about car care.
The most common OTC products available are Megs (NXT, #21) and Mothers (Reflections, FX).

You can but the durability of a carnuba is minimal compared to a synthetic so you would be applying a coat every 4-6 weeks depending on the environment your vehicle is exposed to.

Natty's, P21S and S100 are carnuba waxes mentioned frequently (online). Off hand, I can't think of a carnuba wax available OTC. Hopefully someone can offer a recommendation.
I think I got it............The sealant / wax process is the same thing if i go with a "sealant =synthetic "

I dont have to wax..... correct ?

I can do one or the other right ?

What is the benefit of using a sealant & then putting a carnuba on top of that ?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I got it............The sealant / wax process is the same thing if i go with a "sealant =synthetic "

I dont have to wax..... correct ?

I can do one or the other right ?

What is the benefit of using a sealant & then putting a carnuba on top of that ?
Do one or the other. The benefit of a carnuba over a sealant has been a topic of mixed opinions. Carnuba waxes will add deeper shine and a wet look to the finish. Synthetics offer durability and longevity over carnubas yet still provide an outstanding shine. With a few of the products, it's hardly discernable.