Help with Water Spots...

Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Water Spots...

Help!!!

I washed my car around dusk last night with the Mr. Clean Auto Dry system. I rinsed well using the filtered water and left the car to dry overnight as It was dark by the time I finished. When I awoke this morning. I noticed water spots all over the hood, particularly where the hood meets the windshield on the driver and passenger sides. I managed to get some of the minor mark off using Maguire's QD, but there are three major (1"-2") strip that will not budge. They almost look as if the water etched into the surface. What is the best product/method to help me salvage my 3 week old car?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't tried it yet, but DuraGloss has a WSR and it's fairly inexpensive. Your other alternative is to use a polish like one of those pictured in post #13.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
^^.

If you have a paint cleaner/cleanser, you might try that before going to a polish.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:31 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1a) Removing surface water spots from paint film surface-
Methodology
•Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
•Dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
Allow chemical solution sufficient dwell time (5-10 minutes)
•Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth to apply the solution to the surface
•Or soak a first aid gauze pad with the vinegar/ water solution, this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time, 5-10 minutes) wipe off any residue from surface and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
•Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton micro fibre cloth to apply the solution to the paint surface
•Wipe off any residue from the surface and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
•If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on surface, for stubborn spots use an abrasive polish as in 1b)

1b) Removing etched water (below surface) spots from paint-
Methodology
•These can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits
•Then using a machine polish ( Optimum Polish or Compound, Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner or Klasse All-In-One ) and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface
•Work on a very small area at a time (2-foot x 2-foot) until the polish has run out
•Repeat this process two or three times, as necessary
•Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

1c) For stubborn water spots use (A B C Decontamination / Neutralization system (http:// www.autoint.com) a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system This three part system comprises; A-Acid Neutralizer, B-Alkaline Neutralizer (use in conjunction with detailers clay to remove ‘water spots’) and C- Surface Conditioner with a pH of 7.0, which safely removes both surface and subsurface contamination and neutralizes any residual acid from the painted finish. Any subsequent etching will require an abrasive to level the paint surface

If water dries on a paint surface ultra violet radiation (heat) radiation (UVR) will cause water spotting, especially if it contains an excess of minerals, which will etch the surface, an acetic acid (vinegar) will remove the spotting and an abrasive polish to level the paint surface may be necessary.

If none of the above methods remove the etched water spots consider wet-sanding the paint finish (See Wet sanding)This would be an absolute last choice for a new vehicle
Old 08-05-2006, 02:17 PM
4th Gear

I stopped b y the automotive store today and picked up the Maguire's 3 step system consisting of Paint Cleaner (1), Polish (2), and Carnuba Wax (3). Anybody have any experience with these products and if so, do you think they will help me with my water spot issue? Any advise?

Thanks,
Bret
Old 08-05-2006, 07:04 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Guys!!! The Maguire's Paint Cleaner (Step 1) took care of the water spots beautifully. I really am proud of and how it turned out. Yep, pride and relief! Thanks again guys. Crisis averted!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There, I said it!!!!!!!