Help with swirls/scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Help with swirls/scratches

I finally have enough free time in the coming weeks to properly wash and Zaino both my cars. I have an 04 TL which needs to be rezainoed, but has swirls, that meg's scratch x cannot remove. I also have a 07 MDX which has a few swirls (caused by dealership) that i have not even tried to remove, but am sure that scratch X can take care of.

To my point, what stuff should I use to remove the swirls on my TL, also I have a PC with the sonus pads (from autopia's site)(all three). I want to have a mar free finish before i rezaino it as it is almost 10 months since its Zaino Treatment. Also besides Scratch X, can you recommend something for the MDX as I want to keep the finish on it in pristine condition. I have no problem ordering stuff from online, but please don't use acronyms as I get confused with the amount of products in the market. Thanks for the help in advance
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Four Star Body Shop polishes, or Optimum polishes...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Four Star Body Shop polishes, or Optimum polishes...
Which speed on the PC and with which pad would i use these? heres a link to the pads I have, http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonussfxpads.html
I have the SFX-1, 2 and 3

Also which of the two is easier to use in humid arteas because florida is pretty humid right now.

Also which one of the products should I use becuase i haven't touched my car with sandpaper because it says 2000 grit, 1500 grit, etc?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i haven't used the SFX pads, but a good rule to follow is start with the least aggressive and move up as needed. i would pick the middle pad and Four Star LCC (light cut compound) or Optimum Polish (OP) first. if that doesn't remove the swirls, step up to the next level of product (i prefer moving up in product strength before pad aggressiveness)...so Four Star MCC (medium cut compound) or Optimum Compound (OC).

check the finish under halogen lighting as you go...if there is micro marring from the first pass (but the original swirls removed), then follow with the finishing pad and light polish to clear it up.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Low and Slow

Glad I read some of this. I'm getting ready to attempt to remove swirls from my car, and my little brothers. His are really bad. He has an 03' G35 Black in color.

I was wondering what the best way to try to remove swirls as a beginner without a PC? I think before I try to use anything real heavy duty I'm going to try Scratch X on his car. My car is not that bad. But, I was just wondering if there is anything I can do for swirl removal by hand.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor

paint correction by hand is VERY tedious and extremely time consuming. the only parts i do by hand are the areas that the PC cannot reach (under door handles, etc). i can't imagine doing an entire vehicle by hand and i can almost guarantee you will not be happy with the results. i would also estimate it would take you...hmmmm...40 hours or more to do a car by hand. seriously...it's not worth it if you ask me.

do you know anyone w/ a PC nearby that could help you out? that way, you could see it in action, learn a bit, and also decide if you want to invest in one for future use.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Low and Slow

I myself have two orbital buffers, but no PC I'm guessing that detailing really involves the speed adjustment settings that a PC provides.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The variable speed settings on a PC is one reason why this tool is so versatile. A 5-6 speed setting, usually for surface defects and paint correction allows the PC to breakdown the abrasives contained in polishes. Lower settings (2-4) can be used for applying a sealant or chemical cleaner as well as product removal. A 2-3 setting with a MF bonnett can be used for a final buff.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
The variable speed settings on a PC is one reason why this tool is so versatile. A 5-6 speed setting, usually for surface defects and paint correction allows the PC to breakdown the abrasives contained in polishes. Lower settings (2-4) can be used for applying a sealant or chemical cleaner as well as product removal. A 2-3 setting with a MF bonnett can be used for a final buff.
This is the same method I use.

Apply the product with 2-3 speed on a 2X2 section.

Stop the Machine, then set it to 5 then buff away.

Do an E to W pattern (left to right). Same section on a N to S pattern and make 3-4 passes until the product breaks down.

Wipe with an MF cloth then repeat of necessary. You may see micromarring (small thin scratches). If you do, use a less abrasive swirl remover using the same speed and pattern, or switch to a lesser cutting pad.

It's also best if you have lighting above or behind you to generate a reflection. Makes it easier to check your work.

Humidity may be to your advantage. Just make sure you have enough spare MF cloth to buff out with.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
I myself have two orbital buffers, but no PC I'm guessing that detailing really involves the speed adjustment settings that a PC provides.
Besides the variable speeds, it's also how the DA Polisher moves.
It's the ability to adjust to a higher speed without the danger of burning the finish and thus repair or minimize the appearance of swirl marks.

Also, the flexibility to use different sized pads for different purposes. Most of this can't be done by bonnets alone.

That is probably the only use for the single speed random-orbit "buffer" is to buff. And even in buffing, the PC can still do a better job.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csmeance
I finally have enough free time in the coming weeks to properly wash and Zaino both my cars. I have an 04 TL which needs to be rezainoed, but has swirls, that meg's scratch x cannot remove. I also have a 07 MDX which has a few swirls (caused by dealership) that i have not even tried to remove, but am sure that scratch X can take care of.

To my point, what stuff should I use to remove the swirls on my TL, also I have a PC with the sonus pads (from autopia's site)(all three). I want to have a mar free finish before i rezaino it as it is almost 10 months since its Zaino Treatment. Also besides Scratch X, can you recommend something for the MDX as I want to keep the finish on it in pristine condition. I have no problem ordering stuff from online, but please don't use acronyms as I get confused with the amount of products in the market. Thanks for the help in advance
I just polished my '05 NBP TL yesterday, using Four Star Swirl Mark Remover (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/fs-usmr16.html) with my PC (using the same pads you have from Autopia). Swirls are gone but not all the deeper scratches - they're barely noticeable. The paint looks so much better!

I would recommend claying first before polishing. I used the green fine grade clay from Sonus. It's very gentle on your paint. After claying and polishing, I put one coat of Zaino Z5 then Zaino Clear Seal. I finished up with Zaino Z8.

Last edited by Yakuza70; 06-27-2007 at 11:51 AM.