Griot's Garage orbital buffer review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Griot's Garage orbital buffer review

Well, I've been dabbling in detailing on my Chrysler 300M for a couple years using a WaxMaster 7" orbital buffer, and I have to say, I've been getting decent results. But, since I am "getting the bug", I knew I was going to get a quality buffer someday. I'm not knocking the WaxMaster, compared to folks who only hand buff their vehicles, you're going to get much, much better results with the WaxMaster, and your car will look better than 95% of the cars out there that are waxed by their owners.

That said, however, once I started using clay, and going to a wash/clay/polish/wax routine rather than just the wash/wax routine most of the car-owning public uses, it was inevitable that I was going to want a better buffer. I was going to go for the PC, but there are a lot of backing plates and a vast array of buffer pad products to choose from, and I really don't want to do a lot of investigation. I want to be told what to get, preferably in a ready-to-go kit. Griot's sells their buffer with only two pads, polish and wax, and it comes with the backing plate on the machine (you don't chuck it in, like I imagine you do with the PC), so I thought it was right up my alley. . .KISS!

So, I called Griot's and got the buffer. Being in sales myself, I'm easily sold (most sales professionals suffer from this), so I got a huge kit including 3 polishing pads, a wax pad, hand polish and wax doofers, various terry towels, microfiber towels, and a couple of polish and wax products. I'm a big believer in most of your results come from the technique you bring to the game, not the products you use, so I didn't use the Griot's polish/wax, but opted to continue to use my existing stock of Meguiar's products.

Note This is not a comparison of the Griot's buffer to the PC! I have never in my life handled a PC buffer, so I am not trying to say this is better/worse/comparable to the PC, I simply don't know. All I know is I am very happy with it. I like the handle on the back arrangement, and I like not having to chuck various backing plates into this machine, but that's just me. Some of you undoubtedly will feel that having a variety of backing plates and tons of pads to choose from is a benefit.

Anyway, I got the car about 3 weeks ago off a transport truck from Seattle (I'm in the Philly area) full of bug guts and grit. So, I ran it through a "soft cloth" scratch and dash. Sorry, folks, it was so covered in grunge, I just didn't care. Next weekend, I got out the Meguiar's Gold Class carwash and washed it thoroughly, then used the Meguiar's clay bar I had left with their "Final Inspection" brand of quick detailer spray and got most of the crap off the car. Then did a pass of Meguiar's "Deep Crystal" polish with the WaxMaster using some Turtle Wax and Sears Craftsman foam and terry bonnets I had in my garage stock, and finished with an application of Meguiar's "Gold Class" brand of liquid synthetic wax. It looked good!

The next weekend, I had a wheel repair guy come out and fix some very badly curbed wheels, and didn't wash that weekend. I used some microfiber towels and Meguiar's "Final Inspection" and that was it. Got the Griot's box last Wednesday and waited for today.

Today, I washed, then used the Griot's clay with the Meguiar's "Final Inspection" as a lubricant. I got some Griot's lubricant product in my kit, but again, I feel like nobody is going to discover some magical ingredient mix all of a sudden, so I'm not a brand fanatic, so I used the "Final Inspection" I get by the gallon. I like the Griot's clay, but I couldn't tell the difference between the Griot's clay or the Meguiar's clay to save my life. Feels the same to me, but the Griot's works well.

I didn't polish, as I did this two weeks ago with the WaxMaster, but I decided to use the Griot's buffer to apply and buff the second coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax we applied today. The machine is hefty, possibly bigger than the PC, but I'm not sure since, as I've already mentioned, I haven't handled a PC. It looks bigger to me in photos of folks using the machines. I love the ring handle on the back of the machine, as opposed to the side handle on the PC. The polishing foams felt pretty stiff compared to the waxing foam, but they're in my cabinet unused as of now.

After claying the car, I got out the Griot's buffer with the wax foam pad and went to work. Clearly, this is a serious machine. The WaxMaster moves the machine in your hand as much as it moves the pad, but the added heft of the Griot's machine kept the housing much more stable and passed the buffing energy to the pad much more efficiently. I can see now, that next spring, when I polish again, this is going to do a much more thorough job than the WaxMaster. No wonder you pros like the PC buffer! The efficiency of the energy transfer is an order of magnitude greater with the Griot's buffer. I applied a thin coating of the Meguiar's Gold Class, working it in thoroughly with the buffer using several passes at right angles.

Then my son and I went over the car with terry towels to remove most of the wax, but we weren't too meticulous about it. Finally, I mounted the Griot's padded, terry wax removal bonnets over the waxing pad and went over the car with a couple of those. Very nice buff! Finally, my son and I went over the car with the Griot's microfiber towels, which were very plush, along with a few Q-Tips. Cleaned up the rubber and the glass and the results are shown below.

I know it would be nice for you PC folks to have a comparison, but I cannot render one. However, for anyone wanting to move up from hand polishing or using a WaxMaster or store-brand economy buffer (which give decent results, by the way), I can unequivocally recommend the Griot's Garage random orbital buffer! You probably can't go wrong with the PC, either, but I strongly suspect this machine isn't different enough from the PC to warrant a change. The Griot's buffer is probably a very comparable random orbital to the PC, that's all. I like it, mucho.

If you are anal in the extreme, and want 8 kinds of interchangeable backing pads and 64 brands of buffing bonnets, well, get the PC. If you want to get a good quality, heavy-duty, professional-grade random orbital buffer, with an included backing pad, and basically 3 pads--polishing, wax application and wax removal--then the Griot's Garage is the way to go! It is clearly a professional tool, and since there are many after-market styles of velcro-backed buffing pads, you can expand the complement of buffers a bit. Me? I'm happy as a clam having a professional tool "system" to use with no choices to make about attachments.

I'm out of Meguiar's polish, so next spring, I'll clay, try the Griot's "Machine Polish 3", and their brand of carnauba wax and report on that. For now, I'm absolutely delighted with my buffer purchase and I think I'm ready for the PA winter with my two coats of Meguiar's Gold Class. I might put one more coat on before the snow flies, and I need to wax those wheels.

If you're looking to upgrade your WaxMaster or store-brand buffer, though, I'm willing to bet the Griot's Garage machine is the equal of the PC in terms of robustness and performance, if not in versatility of backing pads. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

John, looks great! I'm glad you're very satisfied with the Griot's and from the looks of it, very ecstatic with the results. Couple a questions. Is there a speed dial or adjustment on the buffer? If yes, what setting did you use for application of wax and for buffing? Just curious, the I usually set the PC at about 3/4 for wax and 2/3 to buff. How are the pads affixed to the backing plate? And is the Backing plate removable?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnCollins
...I was going to go for the PC, but there are a lot of backing plates and a vast array of buffer pad products to choose from, and I really don't want to do a lot of investigation. I want to be told what to get, preferably in a ready-to-go kit. Griot's sells their buffer with only two pads, polish and wax, and it comes with the backing plate on the machine (you don't chuck it in, like I imagine you do with the PC), so I thought it was right up my alley. . .KISS!...
I feel the same way and the number of options with the PC is the main reason I haven't stopped doing everything by hand. This looks like a great solution, and your TL is stunning! I am always sucker for black... especially on an A-Spec TL. This might push me over the edge. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
John, looks great! I'm glad you're very satisfied with the Griot's and from the looks of it, very ecstatic with the results. Couple a questions. Is there a speed dial or adjustment on the buffer? If yes, what setting did you use for application of wax and for buffing? Just curious, the I usually set the PC at about 3/4 for wax and 2/3 to buff. How are the pads affixed to the backing plate? And is the Backing plate removable?
Well, since I PM'd you for some advice earlier, you know I'm a "Just Do It!" kind of guy, so I just grabbed the tool and had at it! Let me go out to the garage and grab the product manual. . .which I haven't bothered to read yet, of course.

Yes, there is a speed dial on the machine. It's in the back, where the cord exits the motor body. I was using speed setting 4, I believe, to apply the wax. I watched the video that came with my kit the other night, and my memory isn't that good, but I think they recommended setting 3-4 for polishing, and 5-6 for applying wax. It came set on 5 and I thought that was a bit quick, so I lowered it to 4.

It looks like the backing pad is not removable, it's part of the machine, which I like. I like simple. I'm sure that if there is a problem, it can be replaced for repair reasons, but apparently, they don't feel the need for multiple backing plates. They are all hook and loop style. I just mashed the pad on, and it stuck with a vengeance! took some effor to get it off, actually. I'm very happy with this arrangement. I really like simple setups and this couldn't be any simpler, in my opinion.

It's a 6 amp, 750 watt motor, for what that's worth. I don't know how this compares to the PC. Weighs 6.6 lbs. I love it.

John
Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Micvog, go get one of these. Right away! You won't be dissappointed. It's strongly built, a professional quality tool, but no fiddling. Slap a pad on it and go! I couldn't be happier with the results. While for a professional detailer, I'm sure the variety of backing plates and pads is a boon for them. . .this is the shiz, IMNSHO!

I ain't no member of MENSA, either. If I can get results like you see here, out of the box, without reading the manual. . .well, let's just say this tool is dummy proof!

John
Old 10-08-2006, 09:34 PM
B A N N E D

loving that reflection in that NBP
Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

If it's got a velcro BP, I'm gonna assume you can use different pads and that is a good thing. If you remember that one thread about the PC, the post by lembowski mentioned the Griot's had a larger moter and more torque. It's all good and results are what counts. Anyway, here's some general specs for the PC:
Rating: 120V AC
Amperage: 3.7
No-load OPM: 2,500-6,000
Spindle Thread: 5/16"-24
Gear Drive: Spiral / Bevel
Polishing Pad Size: 6"
Length: 11-1/2"
Weight: 5-3/4 lbs
Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
that is some beautiful results you got....
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Still using it two years later. The first pic is gone. Here is October, 2008 shot!

Sorry for the old thread revival, I just finished this and wanted to post a pic. Love the Griot's buffer!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
Looks incredible, what kind of polish and/or wax did you use?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:08 PM
The Detailer

Looks great!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks damn nice!! I have the Griot's orbital as well. A customer of mine bought it for me. Nice guy. Anyway, I feel bad because I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Your picture makes me wanna get jiggy wit it.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Looks incredible, what kind of polish and/or wax did you use?
I'm going to answer your question, but before I do, I have to say, I am not particularly brand loyal. IMO, quality car care products--not the cheapest stuff you can get, but good stuff like Meguiar's, Griot's, Pinnacle, Mother's, and etcetera--are all pretty much the same.

Let's face it, this ain't rocket science, and the chemistry that is a little complex is well understood by all the manufacturers and nobody has some new "magic bullet". Their websites are all hyperbole, and the reason I came to this conclusion is because EVERYONE raves about what they use. So I came to the conclusion that it's technique, not product, that matters. Everyone raves because they get great results and attribute it to the product, when it's them that makes it all work. So, I tend to try to use as much stuff as I can so I can place a big order from someone at once to save shipping, and I'm not too particular who it is.

Sorry for the long-winded intro. With that said, what I used this time around. . .

- Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo
- Griot's clay, lubricated with Meguiar's Final Inspection detail spray
- Griot's Machine Polish 3. I've used Meguiar's Crystal Polish and Machine Glaze 3 in the past and been just as happy.
- Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax
- Two days after that photo, I put a coat of Mother's Pure Carnauba liquid wax on top

For my money, I simply do not care what brand of soap, polish, or wax I use, as long as it's good quality stuff, not el-cheapo brand-X. Same with towels and microfibers, and leather and vinyl/rubber protectants (although I prefer the less shiny stuff there). I'll get replacements from whoever when I get resupplies to save on shipping.

For some reason, I have found two products I would call "favorites" that I'll try to go out of my way to get. One is Griot's clay. I just like the way it handles better than other clays I've tried for some reason. The other is Meguiar's Final Inspection detail spray, I get it by the gallon and refill my spray bottle from those. I think I just like the smell.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Uncald4, try the buffer, it's awesome. As I posted two years ago, I can't compare it to the PC or any other good buffer, because this is the first professional buffer I've had (had a WasMaster prior). But it is a joy to use, I really like the top handle and think I'd prefer it to the PC side handle. Use it, you won't want to stop!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Uncald4, try the buffer, it's awesome. As I posted two years ago, I can't compare it to the PC or any other good buffer, because this is the first professional buffer I've had (had a WasMaster prior). But it is a joy to use, I really like the top handle and think I'd prefer it to the PC side handle. Use it, you won't want to stop!
most people with udm/pc dont use the handle at all, they take it off and throw it away...i dont know how i would like the bail style handle like on the griots since i am used to using this style machine without....

your car looks great, you should think about stepping up your protection to something that will last longer than carnuba...carnuba is nice, but it only last a few weeks....

in the way of polish, keep in mind that meguiars crystal polish has zero correcting abilities....meguiars does have some polishes that work great, but thats not one of them...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM
The Detailer

IME, the carnauba waxes I use I can get more than a few weeks out of. I can actually get a couple months out of them but of course that's due to outside conditions. I guess we have it a lot better here in Cali to experience extended protection from our LSP's.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking Good!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll take your advice and give it a shot. My truck is black which is a biotch to keep shiny. If I can get it done soon I'll post pics. Thanks JC!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Instructor

I always use the Gold Class as the base coat with carnauba on top. I believe the Gold Class has synthetic elements in it. When that's gone, though, I'm going to get a pure synthetic for the base coat.

That said, Using Gold Class on the bottom with carnauba on top twice a year has kept that car looking pretty good for 4 years, so I'm still not obsessing over what product to use.

Since I'm not a chemist, I have to go by other non-chemist's raves, anyway? Who can know? My car looks better than most on the road, although it might only be a 7.5-8.0 on a ten point scale for the real detail enthusiasts, but for a daily driver, I'm doing pretty good without getting a PhD in product chemistry.

If you're more inclined to learn about the details of the products and spend the time figuring out what to use, go for it. I'm not being critical of that. It's just that when someone asks me what I use. . .like I know what the heck I'm talking about. . .I like to be honest with them.

I'll tell you what I use, but I just don't give it a lot of thought. I don't want folks thinking I think my products are the way to go.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Instructor

About the top bail handle . . . you don't use it at all on the flats--hood, roof, trunk lid. It's very nice for doing the verticals, though, the doors and quarter panels and the rear end. The PC side handle is probably just as nice, and again, I can't compare the Griot's to another machine because I haven't used it. But if someone asks would I get another one, or recommend it to someone? Absolutely!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

read the bottle, if gold class is carnuba, then topping it with more carnuba is a waist of time....not everything has the ability to be layered....like meguiars nxt, nxt has cleaners in it, so its not really layerable since adding a second layer will clean out the first layer....give 4 star ultimate paint protection a shot...its layerable, and nothing beats it for protection and slickness....nothing
Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
^ I agree about the 4Star...it feels so slick.
I'm about to put a second coat my car, and possibly a third. Gotta get it ready for the Philly road salt!

..btw its nice to see someone else from the Philly area!
<-- as you can tell by my avatar
Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I too have a Griot's random orbital. Awesome machine.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by vinnier6
read the bottle, if gold class is carnuba, then topping it with more carnuba is a waist of time....not everything has the ability to be layered....like meguiars nxt, nxt has cleaners in it, so its not really layerable since adding a second layer will clean out the first layer....give 4 star ultimate paint protection a shot...its layerable, and nothing beats it for protection and slickness....nothing
Layering carnauba isn't necessarily a waste of time, at least to some people. In fact, most people do it so that they ensure they have even coverage and don't miss any spots.

4* UPP is great but can be pricey considering all the UPP they sell now is Poly-Charged. I remember the old UPP was much cheaper and did pretty well as far as performance goes. I'm not quite sure how the new UPP performs compared to the old formula. However, I do find that Optimum Opti-Seal is definitely directly comparable to UPP (old formula at least) in all categories. Not only that but it's cheaper (slightly, compared to the PC version) as well.

Last edited by Denzil; 10-25-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Instructor

Yep, go Phillies!

Gold Class is a mix of synthetics and carnauba. Like I say, it's worked for me for years.

But I think I'm going to use a poly sealant next spring. I'll give the 4 Star a shot.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Denzil
Layering carnauba isn't necessarily a waste of time, at least to some people. In fact, most people do it so that they ensure they have even coverage and don't miss any spots.

4* UPP is great but can be pricey considering all the UPP they sell now is Poly-Charged. I remember the old UPP was much cheaper and did pretty well as far as performance goes. I'm not quite sure how the new UPP performs compared to the old formula. However, I do find that Optimum Opti-Seal is definitely directly comparable to UPP (old formula at least) in all categories. Not only that but it's cheaper (slightly, compared to the PC version) as well.
i am using the poly charged version of upp, and like i said, there is really nothing that compares to it, or atleast nothing that is better...i think although it is expensive, you really need about an ounce to do a whole car, so a bottle will go along way...the stuff is soo good, when i wash my car the water bounces off and i have a hard time keeping water on the car to wash it...stuff rocks