First time for Black Betty

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 01:06 AM
War Eagle!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time for Black Betty

hey gang, It's been about 4 weeks since I've waxed black betty and I think with it being spring and all, I'm ready to move to Zaino. I've worked in a detail shop before so I'm ready for anything you guys can throw at me. My question is, I'm from the deep south, so I know nothing about Zaino products. I've got tons of those fine scratches that show up on the nighthawk black and the aegian blue CL, and I'm sure this puppy is contaminated out the rear end with road grime since I have absolutely not taken care of the paint like I should. I've used Meguiar's in the past due to the availability of the product (Target, Pep Boys, AutoZone). My routine usually involves wash, wax removal, wash, cleaner wax, rinse, 1st wax, rinse, 2nd wax & let it sit overnight, remove wax, rinse. Here's my question:

I want to remove the tiny scratches, and make that puppy a black mirror. I've read about the claybar, so that's in the shopping cart. But what other Zaino products should I pick up? I would like a complete package, money is no object.

And again, I apologize if this has been asked a million & 1 times, but hey, this is a forum for detailing questions and comments!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:42 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one of everything..........It's totally worth it.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:54 AM
Advanced

On scratches: There are no abrasives in the Zaino products for the paint. The Z-5 fills in fine (emphasis on fine) scratches and swirl marks for six months.

That being said, I helped out a customer today (new black Camaro), and here's what we did:

Washed with Dawn dishwashing soap (to remove the wax that was on there so the finish was squeaky clean). Rinsed the car.

Mixed up a bucketful of Z-7 car wash soap to use as a lube for the clay bar. Used a 100% cotton Viking wash mitt to cascade the Z-7 down the side of the car as we clayed. Removed a lot of gunk.

Rewashed with Z-7 to remove any clay residue. Dried car with Fieldcrest Cannon Charisma towels with edges cut off. Also used leaf blower to get the water out of the mirrors and hidey-hole spots.

Mixed together 4 drops of ZFX (hardener-accelerator) with one ounce of Z-5 in one of the supplied bottles.

Applied 3 coats of ZFX/Z-5 (the limit per day). Think THIN!!!!!!!!

Topped off by using the Z-6 gloss Enhancer (to help keep the dust off the car) to make the car even slicker.

He now has a finish that looks like a black hole. He's going to do the ZFX/Z-5 again to see if he can get rid of the few remaining scratches, then switch to ZFX/Z-2, which gives an even shinier shine.

The initial prep is the killer. Now, all he has to do is wash with Z-7 and use ZFX/Z-5 or ZFX/Z-2 every six months. It takes 15 minutes to apply the ZFX potion and 15 minutes to wipe off and 15 minutes to apply the Z-6 quick detailer.

Products to buy:

ZFX
Z-2
Z-5
Z-6
Z-7
Z-18

Money is no object? Jeez, I wish you were in my area
Old 03-31-2002, 02:35 AM
War Eagle!!!

nice quick reply!

Thanks for the great tips! What I meant by money is no object was that when it comes to my car, money is no object! not in general! Trust me, money's always an object when it comes to life! But yes, I would give you great business if you are a Zaino Distributor...sell online?
Old 03-31-2002, 03:13 AM
Advanced

One of the commandments of Sal Zaino: Distributors cannot sell at online web sites. All of us distributors know the rules, we play by the rules. If not, he'll find someone else who will.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:06 PM
War Eagle!!!

pretty damn useful!

You know, unless someone has already posted their Zaino methods, I'd make this thread stick-o-matic. It's full of great tips like how to use the claybar effectively! Thanks stenoslave!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:09 PM
ira
Advanced

If you're looking for on line directions for Zaino, you might look at www.lazaino.com/ApplyZaino.htm. That's my version of the application instructions and they are always there.

Ira
Old 03-31-2002, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Ira has a well-constructed and informative web site.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:18 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stenoslave,
EXCELLENT POST!!!!! ALL HAIL ZAINO!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:21 PM
fukkin newbie

stenoslave is right on.

Z5 will slowly reduce the visability of the fine swirls, but it may take several coats. For me it was 3 coats Z5 on my ABP before it was difficult for me to notice the swirls.

But if the swirls are SEVERE you may need to use a mildly abrasive compound to acheive the result you desire... a true swirl remover.

This advice from a respected source:

Swirls can be removed. However, it will take a fair amount of work on your part. Doing it one small section at a time will allow you to see progress.

If you get swirl marks, most likely the most noticeable area is your hood and trunk sections. To remove these swirl marks, use a product like 3M Perfect-It or Meguiar's swirl Remover. They both have very mild abrasives. They work slow. They also contain essential oils that will enhance the gloss, detracting from the swirls.

The best tool to apply Swirl Remover is a terry cloth applicator pad (not a terry cloth towel) or a foam applicator. Apply swirl remover by rubbing a generous amount into the paint fore and aft. Do not rub in circles, do not rub side to side, only rub front to rear.

Once the Swirl Remover begins to haze, use a clean terry cloth towel to buff. Again, front to rear only. You will need to do this several times to make an impact. Your hood alone, by hand, may take as long as an hour and a half to two hours. Don't be alarmed by color coming off on your towel. If your car does not have a clear coat, some color will come off on your applicator and towels.

When you're done with the Swirl Remover, put on your favorite wax. If you can see swirls before you wax, you'll see then after you wax. Wax will not hide imperfections."
Old 04-10-2002, 04:42 PM
4th Gear

zaino

Don't waste your money on this stuff. It's way over rated.

There are plenty of waxes on the market that are just a good for less than half the price and applications.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: zaino

Originally posted by brad

There are plenty of waxes on the market that are just a good for less than half the price and applications.
You are absolutely right.

But I'd wager money that whatever you choose does not have the longevity of a polymer like Zaino or Blackfire. Sure Meguiars is cheaper, but you will use far more M than Z to keep the same shine and protection.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Racer

Old 04-11-2002, 04:19 PM
Banned

Re: zaino

Originally posted by brad

Newbie.

Come to our next meet bra'.....I'll show you my wonderful shine bish.