finally got the PC.....but?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009 | 06:54 PM
D.L.T

finally got the PC.....but?

the pc came with a white pad..so now i got swirls and scratches so wat other pads do i need and where can i get it..can someone give me a link where i can ONLY get the pads i need?..and which 1 would be for which?..and my final question is..on my pain i have like on the door tuch up paint..if i polish by it..would it remove it? and i just need a good polisher and a good wax..thats all i dont need perfect PRO detailing just need shiny and clean..thank you guys
Old 01-12-2009 | 07:35 PM
Safety Car

you can throw away the white pad that came with your pc, its useless....

go to exceldetail.com and order the 5.5" pads....i would suggest 2 orange, 2 white, 2 red or grey pads....the white ones are not the same as what came with your pc...that pad is about useless unless you want to put a bonnet on top of it for wax removal, but i suggest doing that by hand....

orange pad for heavy swirls and scratches
white pad light swirls and very minor scratches
red/grey pad for wax and sealant....
Old 01-12-2009 | 07:49 PM
D.L.T

thanks!...can i first use the orange?....and then when im doing the whole car with the orange can i use the white?..and then the black? i first gonna clay it tho dont think i forgot about that..but dude if u see my car omg it takes like a PRO PRO to get it back to look nice ill try to put a picture..and thanks..and this is what im trying to use

Optimum Compound 8oz and use the orange
this part idk wat to use with the white pad
and also idk wat produt to use with the red

and what is the different between optimun HYPER and just optimun
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:45 PM
Safety Car

how bad is the paint....optimum polish and orange pad will do for most defects...then you can use optimum with white pad, and finish with any wax or sealant of your choice...i am using 4 star ultimate paint protection and i use a grey or red pad to apply it...

when using the udm, polishing requires speed 5 or 6, and doing a wax or sealant i use speed 3 or lower as i am not trying to do anything other then lay the sealant down...

try to find some youtube videos for polishing so you can see how to use the machine...
Old 01-12-2009 | 08:47 PM
D.L.T

ok man...u just answer allll my questions simple..thats all i need it bro THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2009 | 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok, I hate to throw this in the mix, but 1Z Metallic Polish or 1Z Paint Polish would be wonderful also.......Metallic for minute issues, Paint Polish for small/medium issues. Both offer added protection as well. GREAT all in ones, but as always, I recommend a stand alone sealant on top......
Old 01-12-2009 | 10:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Here's how I'm set up (basic user - once a quarter polish, wax & seal):

Orange w/Optimum Polish for moderate swirls/light scratches;
White w/Optimum Polish for "normal" swirls;
White w/NXT 2.0 Wax/Cleaner Wax;
Red w/UPP protectant/sealant.

I got 1 extra Red because I wanted to try some Meg's Yellow 26 Carnuba, but that was a one-off "extra".
Old 01-12-2009 | 10:24 PM
Safety Car

i got a bunch of pads....5 or 6 white ones, 5 or soo black ones, and some orange ones that i have never used....the white and black ones are what i use, and i needed extras to try out all the stuff i have...

i use a different pad for each product, so i got a bunch of pads each one in a different ziplock baggie marked with the product i used in a rubbermaid tub that i keep all my detail stuff in besides my products that i keep in the house....
Old 01-12-2009 | 10:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Bear and Vin.......great pad/product combos and detailing discipline! Hats off!
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by vinnier6

i use a different pad for each product, so i got a bunch of pads each one in a different ziplock baggie marked with the product i used in a rubbermaid tub that i keep all my detail stuff in besides my products that i keep in the house....

Thats EXACTLY what I did. Ziplocks, rubbermaid storage box. Only diff, I keep mine in the garage.

Great minds .... .

Not as many pads either.

Thanks Patrick. But you hooked me up on pads/product combos.
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:31 PM
The Detailer

I suppose I could list all my pad/product combos but that would probably crash the AZ server and probably bore you all, haha. I'm always trying new products.
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:54 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by Denzil
I suppose I could list all my pad/product combos but that would probably crash the AZ server and probably bore you all, haha. I'm always trying new products.
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:18 AM
Kang Ho

i got a bunch of pads....5 or 6 white ones, 5 or soo black ones, and some orange ones that i have never used....the white and black ones are what i use, and i needed extras to try out all the stuff i have...

curious why you never use the orange one? what do you use the black one for?
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:34 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
Not all manufacturers use the same color coding btw. Normally an orange pad is for greater cutting action. Black/grey pads are not cutting pads but can be used for cleaner etc.

Check this out..
http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/padappguide.html
Old 01-13-2009 | 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

Thats EXACTLY what I did. Ziplocks, rubbermaid storage box. Only diff, I keep mine in the garage.

Great minds .... .

Not as many pads either.

Thanks Patrick. But you hooked me up on pads/product combos.

bear i keep the polish and sealants in the house to keep away from the different temps...i dont know where you live, but if your garage gets pretty hot or cold, move your stuff into the house...the rest of the stuff is in the garage including the udm....
Old 01-13-2009 | 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
i dont use the orange because i dont think i need to be that agressive on my car...the black or grey as they are sometimes called i use for applying upp, dwg, and poliseal.....
Old 01-13-2009 | 07:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Boy have I got news for you then Denzil...........ever heard of Migliore?
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:41 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Boy have I got news for you then Denzil...........ever heard of Migliore?
Actually I have Pat but haven't tried it out yet!

I've read at one or two reviews on it and so far so good. Have you tried it?
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

No, not yet but Im having a discussion with one of its creators today. I would suspect some samples will be arriving shortly that I can review. And Im not a big Nuba user as most can attest, so its really going to have to be something worthy for me to carry. BUt like you have said, the current reviews of it have look very good.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:49 AM
Safety Car

same here, i dont plan on using carnuba any time soon....
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Great idea on the ziplock bags. I'll have to do that. I also had to throw some wax away last year due to the heat. The wax separated and all the shaking in the world would not mix it. I'll move my things in this Spring.
Old 01-13-2009 | 03:12 PM
The Detailer

No, not yet but Im having a discussion with one of its creators today. I would suspect some samples will be arriving shortly that I can review. And Im not a big Nuba user as most can attest, so its really going to have to be something worthy for me to carry. BUt like you have said, the current reviews of it have look very good.
Hey well if you dislike it, send it my way.

Yes I know, I'm a product whore.
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Hey well if you dislike it, send it my way.

Yes I know, I'm a product whore.
more like a slut!!
Old 01-13-2009 | 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

LMAO, sluts take it for free. You gotta pay a whore to take it!!
Denzil is the official Azine product slut.........lmao
Old 01-13-2009 | 08:59 PM
The Detailer

LMAO, sluts take it for free. You gotta pay a whore to take it!!
Denzil is the official Azine product slut.........lmao
I'm happy to oblige, ROFL. Like my avatar comment says on Autopia and Detailing Bliss, "From Hobby to Obsession".

I blame you Patrick! You aided me in this nasty habit! Haha.
Old 01-14-2009 | 12:34 PM
D.L.T

hahaha....you guys are funny, thanks for all the info though, i would start now but here in jersey weather has been bad like snow one day and rain the other then the sun goes out then snow again...idk mother nature man is killin me! anyways i guess i should take this time to just buy and buy products and pads untill it gets nicer out..but boy im so excited to try it yet scare..what i was trying to do is to TEST how good i am...i was going to remove the back license plate and just clay that lil part and then polish it and then wax it and all that..i guess if i end up messing up i can cover it with the plate hahaha..since it ALWAYS has to be there ..what do you guys think?
Old 01-14-2009 | 01:03 PM
Safety Car

your not going to mess anything up bro....just get busy, dont waist your time testing out behind the license plate...clay will not damage anything, and a pc is just about idiot proof...as a matter of fact, its 100% idiot proof....just start out slow til you get the feel for the machine and how polish brakes down....about one complete pass on a 2'x2' section of your hood....
Old 01-14-2009 | 03:02 PM
The Detailer

You'll be fine, just take your time.
Old 01-27-2009 | 07:34 PM
There's no Acura in

How do you know if you've approached the limit on how much you can polish the paint? I did some reading on wikipedia and it says polishing is really like sanding with really fine sand paper. I may have the opportunity to grab a UDM soon so trying to learn the ins & outs of polishing before I go and do it.
Old 01-27-2009 | 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by newperson
How do you know if you've approached the limit on how much you can polish the paint? I did some reading on wikipedia and it says polishing is really like sanding with really fine sand paper. I may have the opportunity to grab a UDM soon so trying to learn the ins & outs of polishing before I go and do it.
i am going to go out on a limb here and say i dont think you could polish too much with a udm/pc...with in reason ofcourse...if you start whailing away with a yellow pad and some hyper compound then yes, i would suspect you could get carried away....

but with normal polish and white pads, you can polish away for along time and not take too much off...