Dealer scratched my car!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer scratched my car!!!!!

Yep, the dealer "washed" my car and now it is covered in fine scratches / swirls. This is only my 2nd oil change with this dealer and they did not wash it the first time. I am pretty good about washing my car carefully and now they have gone and screwed it up.

Do you guys think I have any recourse, or should I just try and fix it myself / take it to a pro detail shop?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

Did you tell'em specifically NOT to wash your car ?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Nope.....I am on my own, huh?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Banned

hmm hard to say if your dealer is "nice" or is gonna play hard-ball.
Wish you luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Thanks, not really sure how to approach them as I am sure they will deny it and say that the scratches were already there. I also feel like I should have made sure they didn't wash the car.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Racer

swirls and fine scratches will happen even if careful washing at home. many will come out with future waxes and nobody will see them unless they put their eye against the car. i have tons of fine scratches from constant cleaning, but none are noticeable unless somebody literally put their head against my car.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Instructor

If the dealer doesn't want to take responsibility, then you'll have to polish the paint and having a Porter Cable would help alot

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/men-ip16.html
Old 09-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by floridaowner
swirls and fine scratches will happen even if careful washing at home. many will come out with future waxes and nobody will see them unless they put their eye against the car. i have tons of fine scratches from constant cleaning, but none are noticeable unless somebody literally put their head against my car.

swirls will never be removed by waxing!!!! You'll need to polish.

Tell the dealer about what they did and if they are a good dealer they should have their detail shop take them out. If not get a Porter Cable and some polish and it should come right out. No need to panic, its not a big deal to remove the scratches. In the future, tape a peice of paper to the window that says "do not wash this car". Thats what I have to do at our dealer. They all make fun of me there but there are no swirls or micro-marring in the paint.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Advanced

I am not sure that I want to take a PC to the car. I am afraid that I will harm the paint. Just went out again this morning to survey the paint. You can't see the swirls unless there is direct sunlight hitting the car. I don't know if it is worth the hassle of going thru the dealer at this point.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Instructor

There are many polishes out there that can be applied by hand as well - check out some of the less abrasive ones like:

http://www.properautocare.com/p2paincleanl.html
Old 09-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spelldog
I am not sure that I want to take a PC to the car. I am afraid that I will harm the paint. Just went out again this morning to survey the paint. You can't see the swirls unless there is direct sunlight hitting the car. I don't know if it is worth the hassle of going thru the dealer at this point.

DONT BE AFRAID OF THE PC. It is your best friend when it comes to detailing. It is idiot proof and WILL NOT harm your paint. A rotary buffer is the one that you need to be scared of. I and many others used to be afraid of the PC also. But once I used it for the first time I wondered how I got along this far without one. Yes there are many polishes you can apply by hand, but your arms will fall off before those swirls come out. The PC makes the job so simple its not even funny. I couldnt imagine doing a polishing job without one. There are even waxes that can be applied using the PC. Heck, there are synthetic waxes where the PC is the only way to best apply. Its a big investment, by the time you by your PC and all your pads and a backing plate and your polishes you might spend $200 or more but think of it long term. Any major detail would cost you at least $250 to have done. With your own PC you can do it whenever you want or whenever it needs it.

I say screw the dealer at this point and get a PC and remove the swirls yourself. There is nothing more self gratifying than doing a PC job and having people notice and ask about your work.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Boy Genius

I just came off of using a PC - no harm done to the paint at all, and it looks much better. Most people agree that it is very difficult to harm paint using a PC (which has random orbital action) as it doesn't generate enough heat, but using a rotary buffer is where one needs to be careful. I was intimidated at first as well, but a little practice and using the PC becomes very easy. But if you only have a few swirls, I'm not sure the PC would be worth the investment. I would go with the hand applied abrasives like focalmatic suggested first. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Advanced

I have been reading on autopia about the PC. Is there a link to a "buying your PC and accessories needed" article or anything like that? I wouldn't even know where to start. Also, you can't see the marks unless there is direct sun. I checked last night after work and again this am and I could't see the swirls. On sunday, they stuck out pretty good at around noon in direct sun. I may try the hand abraisives, but what about a filler type product like a Zaino z5?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I have been reading on autopia about the PC. Is there a link to a "buying your PC and accessories needed" article or anything like that? I wouldn't even know where to start. Also, you can't see the marks unless there is direct sun. I checked last night after work and again this am and I could't see the swirls. On sunday, they stuck out pretty good at around noon in direct sun. I may try the hand abraisives, but what about a filler type product like a Zaino z5?

A filler product is just that, a filler. The fillers eventually wear off and the swirls return. Its best to just remove them from the start and be done with it. A good place to start would be Detailers Paradise.com . They have a complete PC bundle that includes your PC, backing plate, all your pads and Einszettes Polishes. This is how I got mine and it actually comes out cheaper to buy their bundle than if you bought everything seperate from different places. Plus they have free shipping on orders over $100. They are the nicest people you'd ever want to talk to and are very very knowledgeable about detailing and about every product they sell.

Go for it !! You wont be sorry. It'll be the best thing you've ever done for your car.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Flap.

dealer washes
Old 09-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by floridaowner
LOL...They will be noticable. Just keep waxing over a dirty car.