Cleaning 4G Leather Surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cleaning 4G Leather Surfaces

I have the taupe seats and while they look great, they get dirty very fast. And they show stains like nuts.

My 2006 TL had the harder/thicker leather surfaces which cleaned easily with just a damp cloth -- though I gently used a Magic Sponge (and followed-up with conditioner) for really, really bad spots which came perfectly clean. When I traded it in, the seats looked brand new!

But in the 4G, the leather is very, very soft. The bolsters aren't NEARLY as firm. I'm afraid that using even a terry cloth might rub them raw.

I'm not a huge fan of Lexol's cleaner because IMHO it doesn't work well, although their conditioner is great.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jzacuto
I have the taupe seats and while they look great, they get dirty very fast. And they show stains like nuts.

My 2006 TL had the harder/thicker leather surfaces which cleaned easily with just a damp cloth -- though I gently used a Magic Sponge (and followed-up with conditioner) for really, really bad spots which came perfectly clean. When I traded it in, the seats looked brand new!

But in the 4G, the leather is very, very soft. The bolsters aren't NEARLY as firm. I'm afraid that using even a terry cloth might rub them raw.

I'm not a huge fan of Lexol's cleaner because IMHO it doesn't work well, although their conditioner is great.

Any suggestions?
I used Leather CPR and it seemed to do a good job.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I was a Lexol guy for years, btu switch to LEather CPR and it is awesome, no film like Lexol, cleaner and conditioner in one and leave the leather feeling as good as new!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
NO, NO, NO!! to the Magic Eraser (is that what you meant by Magic Sponge?)

Use Woolite. 5 - 10 parts water to 1 part Woolite. Clean with a clean microfiber cloth, then condition. I use Meg's Gold Class, but whatever conditioner works for you.

(Moving to Wash & Wax - better advice, more action)
Old 07-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
NO, NO, NO!! to the Magic Eraser (is that what you meant by Magic Sponge?)

Use Woolite. 5 - 10 parts water to 1 part Woolite. Clean with a clean microfiber cloth, then condition. I use Meg's Gold Class, but whatever conditioner works for you.

(Moving to Wash & Wax - better advice, more action)
Sorry about the post in the wrong location and thanks for the move!

Yeah, I used the Magic Eraser thingie on a ball point ink stain. It worked like a CHARM. And with the conditioner, it never looked damaged, but took the ink right out!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by jzacuto
Sorry about the post in the wrong location and thanks for the move!

Yeah, I used the Magic Eraser thingie on a ball point ink stain. It worked like a CHARM. And with the conditioner, it never looked damaged, but took the ink right out!

Well if you're cleaning up ink all the time, the Woolite isn't going to do you too much good. :lol:

Potential problem with Magic Eraser is removing the top layer (a coating layer?) on the leather and/or affecting the dye. Glad it worked for you.

For "regular" cleaning the Woolite is great. I've got a 3G in Taupe and the leather looks great 2+ years and 30k+ miles.

BTW - no problem on the move. Wasn't exactly the "wrong" forum, it's just that this one is better for your question.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
NEVER use the magic eraser on leather! It takes of quite a bit of the poly coating on the leather that protects it and seals it!

Use a woolite solution to clean up the leather, 5 parts water to 1 part woolite. that is pretty concentrated and should clean up the leather good. Follow up with a damp towel a few times and then dry. Use Lexol leather conditioner if you are in an area where it doesn't get to hot for more than 3 months (NYC for example).

I love Leatherique and it's amazing! Its a bit time consuming, but the results are amazing!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Leather used in Automobiles

The most fundamental question to be answered before you clean or care for leather is to establish the type of leather used in the vehicle and / or finish applied (natural, pigmented, vinyl, urethane coating)

Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth. Products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neat-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack. These are very different leathers with drastically differing care requirements. The exact reason for this type of misapplication is unclear.

It’s possible that there is an association with old world quality (i.e. European automobiles with leather upholstery and real burl wood interiors) with these types of products, despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using water-based polyurethane covered pigmented leather for many years.
As materials and production methods that are used change; we need to adapt our product usage and application methodologies to change with them

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Poorboy's Leather Stuff is a great cleaner/conditioner