Clay Bar and Wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 06:28 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar and Wax

Has anybody used a clay bar on their CLs? What were the results? Did you wax your car right after?
Old 03-27-2001, 10:08 PM
Adult Supervision

I have not done it yet but have the clay and am ready too as soon as I get the weather and the time. I plan to practice on my old mercedes to perfect the method before trying it on the clearcoated black. There are alot of people who swear by clay-bar'ing; especially for the first time each year. The key is keeping it wet with the solution or so I hear.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 03-28-2001, 01:00 PM
Advanced

I highly recommend claying...it really gets the car's paint nice and smooth. The trick is to use plenty of lube. I don't like to use a spray detailer for lube I use car wash. I actually wash the car with DAWN as a first step to remove any wax that was on it. After a PANEL is clean, I soap it up and clay the panel smooth. I do this to the whole car and then rinse it real good. What ever you do, never clay a dirty car. If you follow these steps, and turn the clay often, it's pretty hard to do any damage. Finish up with your favorite wax / polish. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2001, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I got the zaino stuff a couple months ago and plan on using it as soon as the weather coops and i have time.

the problem i have is time though. i'm going to kansas on monday and my car is staying here, so i plan on washing it with dawn, maybe claybaring certain spots, and then just zainoing it.

i don't have time to claybar the whole car. it's silver anyway, but still, i may do it when i have time though, but who knows when that will be.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Claying really doesn't take that long. I did my 'Stang in just over 2 hours for the first claying episode and the 'Vette was only 1.5 hours. (experience )

I use Z7/water per directions in a spray bottle as the lubrication - go crazy with it, Z7 is cheap. Be sure to fold the bar very frequently and spray each section liberally prior to claying. I used both bars out of the Zaino kit this time to be really paranoid ( 1 for one half of the car). Since you've sprayed the car wash (Z7) all over the car while claying, then I just rinsed thoroughly when finished, dried it and sprayed down with Z6 before putting on a coat of Z1/Z5. Pics coming shortly!

sorry for the novel - claying is really important IMHO. I mean, you don't want to use your high tech Zaino or whatever to seal contaminats & airborne pollution on the paint!

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 04-01-2001, 06:11 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
Claying really doesn't take that long. I did my 'Stang in just over 2 hours for the first claying episode and the 'Vette was only 1.5 hours. (experience )

I use Z7/water per directions in a spray bottle as the lubrication - go crazy with it, Z7 is cheap. Be sure to fold the bar very frequently and spray each section liberally prior to claying. I used both bars out of the Zaino kit this time to be really paranoid ( 1 for one half of the car). Since you've sprayed the car wash (Z7) all over the car while claying, then I just rinsed thoroughly when finished, dried it and sprayed down with Z6 before putting on a coat of Z1/Z5. Pics coming shortly!

sorry for the novel - claying is really important IMHO. I mean, you don't want to use your high tech Zaino or whatever to seal contaminats & airborne pollution on the paint!

</font>
You don't have to fold the bar over, only if it gets really dirty. I had great luck just by "rubbing" any debris out of the clay surface, then using a ton of the Z7 mix.

You can never use too much lubricant. You can really make a mess with too little.

I really wondered about how important the clay was too. But after seeing what it removed from a "new" car, I will always clay a car first.

The Zaino also really is different from other waxes and polish-waxes. I could just use some wax or polish-wax to remove water spots or whatever between layers. I could tell the Zaino really works. I left one tiny water spot on the whole car (not telling you where) and it is like it was frozen in a block of ice or Plexiglass.

Now, if I could just find something to protect the front bumper and chrome from bits of sand and gravel that get kicked at the car from trucks that don't secure their loads. So, far only 1 tiny pinhead pit on the front, but we need some Kevlar finish for the front.

Will 30 coats be thick enough in front?

------------------
Dr's car's is stealthy -- able to sneak up on unsuspecting victims
Old 04-01-2001, 12:51 PM
Instructor

there are some folks on LS1 and corvetteforum that have over 100 coats of Z2!

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 04-01-2001, 01:19 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
there are some folks on LS1 and corvetteforum that have over 100 coats of Z2!

</font>
100 coats -- WOW

------------------
Dr's car's is stealthy -- able to sneak up on unsuspecting victims
Old 04-10-2001, 04:41 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

I bought "Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Kit" and "Mothers C.G. Natural Formula Carnauba Paste Wax". Are these acceptable substitutions for that Zaino brand?

Are these the correct steps/method:
1) wash car
2) use clay bar panel by panel with soapy water
3) wax

With the clay bar kit, I also got a carnauba cleaner wax and showtime instant detailer spray. Should I bother using them even though I completed the above 3 steps?

Also, do I use the clay bar in a circular motion or just run it back and forth?

[This message has been edited by Satin Slayer (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin Slayer:
I bought "Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Kit" and "Mothers C.G. Natural Formula Carnauba Paste Wax". Are these acceptable substitutions for that Zaino brand?

Are these the correct steps/method:
1) wash car
2) use clay bar panel by panel with soapy water
3) wax

With the clay bar kit, I also got a carnauba cleaner wax and showtime instant detailer spray. Should I bother using them even though I completed the above 3 steps?

Also, do I use the clay bar in a circular motion or just run it back and forth?

</font>
My wife's car has TS Clear coat on it, but I have used "Clay Magic" with the "Clay Lube".

I've used the Mother's clay (still have some), and I just didn't like at much as the Clay Magic with its Clay Lube.

I use a basic straight motion, with an occasional slight arcing motion on some surfaces.

With the Clay magic, clay, I keep turning the clay once it starts looking too messy (bits of debris). I clay with tons of lube until it feels smooth. I really stay light on the pressure and keep checking for any picked up debris (if I pick them out with a thumb wipe, I will do that. If not, then I remold a bit of the clay to get clean clay.)

I was in the shade, so I just went panel by panel. When I was done, I washed the car as usual. Then used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze on spots that need a little touch up, then go for the Mother's wax (I also would use the Meguiar's was)

That is in the past -- I'm now using TS Clear Coat on my wife's car and Zaino on mine.

But, if you don't scratch the car, and use plenty of lube, you should be ok with the product you like. I do know this, if you use too little lube, you will really regret it! Don't do it in the sun and move on as soon as it feels smooth.

(Just my own opinions and experience mixed in with some tips from some very good detailers.)

BTW -- stay away from the "cleaner-wax" type products. Use a good polish/detail spray if you need to eliminate some swirls (you did just clean the surface with the clay) and then use your wax (I like Zaino, but use some good carnuba like Mothers, Meguiar's, (and lots of expensive stuff if you want to like Blitz, etc, etc)

I also like the Clay Magic detailing spray without the carnuba (although the one with carnuba is ok [IMO]). You can use the detailing spray between waxes and it has a special lube in it to suspend dirt away from the car, so you don't scratch the finish.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ordered
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 06:54 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

With the Clay magic, clay, I keep turning the clay once it starts looking too messy (bits of debris). I clay with tons of lube until it feels smooth. I really stay light on the pressure and keep checking for any picked up debris (if I pick them out with a thumb wipe, I will do that. If not, then I remold a bit of the clay to get clean clay.)

But, if you don't scratch the car, and use plenty of lube, you should be ok with the product you like. I do know this, if you use too little lube, you will really regret it! Don't do it in the sun and move on as soon as it feels smooth.

(
</font>
What do you mean when you say lube? Is there a special lubricant or can I just use water?

Old 04-10-2001, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

What do you mean when you say lube? Is there a special lubricant or can I just use water?

</font>
The clay magic actually comes with a "special" lube for the clay. They also sell the lube in addition to the clay package.

Let me see if I can find the page....

Ok, here it is:

http://208.245.156.149/products.asp

You will se a picture of the kit, and the Clay lube.

(With the Zaino, you just use the Zaino car shampoo with water, in a spritz bottle, but it is more concentrated.)

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 07:28 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

EricL: Thanks, you've been a great help. I did some additional research on the net and found out that the bottle of showtime instant detailer spray is used as the lubricant. It's a 473 mL spray bottle. Will that be more than enough or should I buy an extra bottle?

Old 04-10-2001, 03:35 PM
Adult Supervision

I have also found that the following websites help:

www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html
www.autofanatics.com
www.properautocare.com
www.meguiars.com
www.zainobros.com

-------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)

[This message has been edited by MikeS 18 (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

EricL: Thanks, you've been a great help. I did some additional research on the net and found out that the bottle of showtime instant detailer spray is used as the lubricant. It's a 473 mL spray bottle. Will that be more than enough or should I buy an extra bottle?

</font>
Should be enough. Our detailer gave us a spare bottle for detailing -- it is the clay lube (non-carnuba loaded version). The bottle has lasted and its about 1/2 liter (quart).

If you are going to be doing some massive detailing, you might want to order more later.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-11-2001, 11:19 PM
Fastdriver

Has anybody used a clay bar on their CLs? What were the results? Did you wax your car right after?</font>
Satin Slayer-

I just clayed my car last week after the initial wash with Dawn. I used the Zaino clay with the Zaino car wash as the lubricant. I then washed the car with the Zaino soap and proceeded with the Z-1/Z-2. I now have 3 coats of Z-2/Z-6 on my CL.

I have been using Zaino products since the summer of 1998. I had a ton of coats on my previous car, Candy Apple Red 300M. The shine was incredible! I can't wait to add a few more coats of Zaino to the CL. The weather in CT has not been the greatest, but I was able to squeeze in those 3 coats between last Saturday and Monday.

If you go to the ls1 forum, I know Sal participates there. He does or did read the Zaino topic in Edmunds Town Hall too. He may even read this group.

The initial steps are a little time-consuming until you get the hang of Zaino, but after that, it's a breeze to keep it looking great. If you want to see pics of my Christine(300M), I can post the link to photopoint and my "soap opera" page in geocities. That site is good for a laugh now that Christine is FINALLY gone.

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior. [list][*]No nav.[*]No spoiler[*]Three coats of Zaino so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's car without Zaino!
Fastdriver's car with 3 coats of Zaino
Old 04-12-2001, 05:11 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Man, just finished washing, claying and waxing my CL-S. Oooohh, my aching back Took me 6 hours. Looks like it just came off a dealer's lot , but I just don't think it's worth 6 hours of my life. I think I'll just take it to get detailed from now on
Old 04-12-2001, 02:45 PM
Advanced

By the way....one guy on the ls1 forum has 307 coats of zaino and counting....

Anyhow, I clay while doing the dawn wash.....Once a panel is clean, I soap it up good, and clay. Then I rinse, and move on. Once you Z1 and Z2 you will never have to strip and start over again. You just keep on adding layers. If some swirling develops, switch to Z5 for a few coats, then back to Z2. If the car gets some contaminants on it...clay the areas, and keep on layering.....I think most of you will find maintanance to be a snap with zaino because of its compatibility and durability..........
Old 04-12-2001, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Man, just finished washing, claying and waxing my CL-S. Oooohh, my aching back Took me 6 hours. Looks like it just came off a dealer's lot , but I just don't think it's worth 6 hours of my life. I think I'll just take it to get detailed from now on </font>
I felt brutalized after the first session of doing the Zaino, but I really wanted to do it right. And I'm not a young pup any more.

However, it has saved me a windshield (hard to believe, but true). Makes clean-ups much easier than the old carnuba scene (my opinion) and following coats are great.

Example -- I used to have to remove all of the wax build up from the plastic, rubber, and cracks. I also would use two or three different products on the rubber, plastic, metal, and other bits to get the car detailed/protected.

Now, I just do a Z6 (Gloss Enhancer), then a Z2. I sometimes to a Z6/Z2/Z6, but switch to just the Z6/Z2 when I'm a bit lazy. I just put the stuff over the glass, metal, plastic, rubber, and paint and its all protected and looks better with each coat. (It gets much easier -- Promise!)

So, all I can tell you is if you are a bit older like me, then I can empathize with the first time prep. ritual. However, from that point on, it is much easier than any of the other products I have ever used.

Try the next step and see if it isn't a lot easier...

BTW -- It wasn't like I had meteors hit my windshield, but I would have been staring at a bunch of nasty crater marks without the Zaino coats.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-12-2001, 11:35 PM
Advanced

I agree......the initial prep is optional, but should be done no matter what product you are finishing up with for best results. Its not REQUIRED for zaino use, but for the car enthusiast, why wouldn't you want to do it right? Well after that one time, you just keep laying up coats whenever you want....it's really easy and addicting....why do think people have 10,20,30, and even 307 coats on zaino on?? Because it is easy and quick to use......
Old 04-13-2001, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill97Z:
I agree......the initial prep is optional, but should be done no matter what product you are finishing up with for best results. Its not REQUIRED for zaino use, but for the car enthusiast, why wouldn't you want to do it right? Well after that one time, you just keep laying up coats whenever you want....it's really easy and addicting....why do think people have 10,20,30, and even 307 coats on zaino on?? Because it is easy and quick to use......</font>

I agree -- it is called, "doing the job right the first time."

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic