Car care 101.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car care 101.

Hey guys, I was hoping you guys could drop some knowledge my way.

I just picked up exceldetails Eurow Pro Wash kit and I'm excited to use it. I also bought the following car care products:
- Optimum Car Wash
- Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner
- DG Glass Cleaner
- Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax Plus Boosted with Polycharger
- FS Ultimate Paint Protectant spray
- FS Ultimate Leather Cleaner Gel
- 303 Protectant

Ok I hope I didn't miss anything (other than a clay bar). Aside from the stuff I got in the Eurow kit, I have some terry clothes and some MF towels but thats it.

Whats a good procedure to follow, using what I have? A quick step-by-step would be helpful. I've washed cars before but probably never the correct way.

I'll start the list off...
1. Rinse car off from top to bottom, removing loose dirt/dust/bugs etc.
2. Mix up car shampoo with water. Whats a good amount for the TL? 3 gal?
3. Use sheepskin washmit to wash the roof. Rinse roof
4. Rinse off washmit.
5. Wash a) rear windshield, trunk, 1/4s, bumper b) windshield, hood, fenders, bumper, headlights c) side windows, doors, side mirrors. Rinse after each "area".
6. Pat dry with WW?

OK your turn!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your list looks pretty good. You'll probably need between two to three gallons of car wash solution. As long as you wash from top to bottom, you should be fine. If you can, try to blow most of the water out of the crevices and blot dry with the WW to reduce your chances of marring your paint.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
zaino'd

^ I'm gonna be washing my car at one of those "pay for water" places since I live in an apartment with no hoses. Can I just blow with my mouth? Haha

Denzil, can you help me with steps 7 and onwards? I know one of those steps will be:
6. Use silicone blade to dry windows.
7. Dry car with WW.
8. Use MF glass towel and DG Glass Cleaner.
9. Use Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner with __blank__ <- which cleaning tool should I use? I have refinished rims so I don't want to be too rough.
10. Use tire brush and soapy water to clean tires. (I hate dressing tires because they get all over my car.)
11. Use FS UPP on dry car with __blank__ <- MF towel, mit, pad?
12. Finish off with FS USW using __blank__ <- MF towel, mit, pad?
13. Clean leather with FS ULC gel and then 303 Protectant.
14. Dust trim and apply 303 Protectant (spray on terry cloth and apply?)

How does that sounds? Do I have to do each step every time I wash my car (2x-4x a month)?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Answers in Bold.....
9. Use Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner with.....a soft nylon brush. Something I have become real fond of is the Laitner Power Brush. Of maybe you can find an assortment of wheel brushes at your local auto repair parts shop?
10. Use tire brush and soapy water to clean tires. (I hate dressing tires because they get all over my car.) As long as your not trying to remove built up dressings, soapy water should be ok. I would elect to go with something a little more dedicated to tires though......Consider using a protectant though. They help keep the sidewalls from drying out. and really add to the appearance of a well kept car.
11. Use FS UPP on dry car with a sponge applicator. Remove with soft microfiber polishing towel. Consider a paint cleaner or paint polish prior to using UPP though. Cleaning or polishing paint is vital, prior to protective steps.
12. Finish off with FS USW using microfiber polishing towels. Apply to both surface and towel (lightly), wipe in, buff off.
13. Clean leather with FS ULC gel and then 303 Protectant. Alternate between FS ULC and plain old water. Wipe in, wipe off. Use water dampened microfiber towel. Spray 303 on towel, wipe in, buff off with dry microfiber towel.
14. Dust trim and apply 303 Protectant (spray on terry cloth and apply?) See above

How does that sounds? Do I have to do each step every time I wash my car (2x-4x a month)? Use the spray wax after every wash while drying. Actually include it in yor drying step. Everything else, use on an as needed basis.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
zaino'd

^ Thanks again!

Hey I've been trying to get a hold of you... did you get any of my messages?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Got it all sorted out!!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Something else too......not sure if it was mentioned but you also need a rinse bucket. After washing a body part I rinse the mit in the 2nd bucket before getting more soap in my mit. Helps prevent putting dirt back on the car and helps prevent maring as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Great reminder!!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
zaino'd

Damn who knew there was so much to know about washing a car properly. Haha thanks again guys. I'm looking forward to this weekend.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Actually include it in yor drying step.
How does that work exactly.

Lets say I'm washing my hood... rinse, wash, rinse, apply USW, dry with WW?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:06 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by jmkiang
^ I'm gonna be washing my car at one of those "pay for water" places since I live in an apartment with no hoses. Can I just blow with my mouth? Haha

Denzil, can you help me with steps 7 and onwards? I know one of those steps will be:
6. Use silicone blade to dry windows.
7. Dry car with WW.
9. Use Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner with __blank__ <- which cleaning tool should I use? I have refinished rims so I don't want to be too rough.
10. Use tire brush and soapy water to clean tires. (I hate dressing tires because they get all over my car.)
11. Use FS UPP on dry car with __blank__ <- MF towel, mit, pad?
12. Finish off with FS USW using __blank__ <- MF towel, mit, pad?
13. Clean leather with FS ULC gel and then 303 Protectant.
14. Dust trim and apply 303 Protectant (spray on terry cloth and apply?)

How does that sounds? Do I have to do each step every time I wash my car (2x-4x a month)?
Patrick pretty much answered your questions spot-on. However, my personal preference, I tend to take care of my wheels, tires, and wheel wells first before taking care of the body itself. Also, if I'm going over the interior in the same day, I'll start with the interior before the exterior.

As for including USW in your drying step, it's exactly that. You spray on USW as you dry your car even though there is water on your paint's surface. It saves you a step and some time.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 PM
zaino'd

Do you guys have a recommended method of drying out your washmit? I find that the outside dries completely while the inside remains damp.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 AM
The Detailer

When I used to use the wool mitt, I would just always let it dry in my five gallon bucket on top of the Grit Guard. It usually completely dries up.