Buying Zaino for 2 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 08:06 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Zaino for 2 cars

I am going to purchase some Zaino in the next few days for 2 cars (my CL and my dad's Lexus LS400).

I was wondering if I needed to purchase 2 claybars? Or can I use one claybar on both cars? (I don't fully understand the concept of the claybar yet, so the answer may be obvious, but I'll understand it when it's necessary)

Also, is there anything I should purchase extra of or be cautioned before I apply my products onto 2 cars? Such as, will I need an extra bottle of Z-# because it'll only do one car? Or, do I need to buy another 100% cotton towel and use one on each car? - Questions such as those...

Thanks for any answers and any heads up before I proceed to a simultaneous Zaino application!
Old 02-03-2002, 10:24 PM

It's too bad no one reads the posts in Detailing. Then again, I don't want to post in an unrelated section just to get reads. I just wish someone would actually respond.

Also, I'm probably going to purchase what I need pretty soon. Reading about Claybars, I presume you can only have one to one car? (Question in the previous post) Would I need 2?

This is what I plan on getting (If you feel anything is not necessary, or I need something else, or I need to buy 2 - please let me know) - KEEP IN MIND...THIS IS FOR 2 DIFFERENT CARS:

Z1
Z2
Z5
Z6
Z7
Z10
Z18 (Do I need 2?)

Do I need ZFX? Would I be better off with that?

Thanks for any responses!
Old 02-03-2002, 11:55 PM
fukkin newbie

I can't answer about the clay bar, 'cause I don't know either.

What I do know:

If you do get ZFX then you don't need Z1. And even though the mixing seems like a pain it does cut down one step.

I strongly recommend at least two bottles of Z6, since you will use that the most.

More towels is also a very good idea... No matter how careful you are they get dragged on the ground or get dirt from the wheels.

I like quality foam applicators rather than the terry cloth applicator to get thin coats. And apply VERY thin coats.

[can also check
http://autopia-carport.com/forum/for...3?s=&forumid=3]
Old 02-04-2002, 05:34 AM

Fantastic! Thanks a bunch for the assistance!

If anyone wishes to add to any advice I need before I probably order the "package" today, please feel free to do so, so I won't have to order again just because I missed one thing.

Thanks again for your help jps!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:05 AM
Racer

Kevin . . . 2:14 in the morning and you want answers !

OK im up now - so I hope this helps.

Claybar - Zaino claybar is actually 2 pieces in the package. each one individually wrapped - and extensive directions included. I do my SSEi with one bar - every spring and another in the fall. One Z18 will do you.

Towels - you can never have too many towels. Royal Velvet by Fieldcrest are highly rated - use them for drying the car and removing Zaino. One "bath towel" 27x48 will do for one car Zaino removal. Keep it turning, exposing a new side.

ZFX - great product - but might not be up your alley. It is intended to allow multiple coats in one day on the same car. if you think the chances are slim that you will ever do multiple coats - get the Z1. Keep in mind that you only apply Z1 once every 6 months or 10 coats (approximates). After that, its a case of just applying your top coat when you want, and wiping it off. ZFX also makes the shine better.

Black cars? - I strongly suggest the Z5 ALSO. You can alternate coats - between the Z2 and Z5 - works great to keep hiding any swirls you manage to obtain - and if you are only going to get one of them . . get the Z5. High shine, plus swirl hiding. The Z2 is pure shine - wont disguise swirls, in fact might even make them more visible, since the high optical properties makes whatever the finish looks like, even more visible.

Z6 is my favorite - and thats the one thing i would get at least 2 of to start. If you are getting from the factory - get the second now, makes shipping a bit more cost effective, until you find a local distributor.

Get the applicators . . . it is what is suggested by Sal, as well as most users . . . yes, the foam may allow thinner coats, but i have no problem squeezing out 12 coats from a 8 oz bottle on my big 4 door. (see pic in my signature)

So, looking over your order - you having chosen wisely .

any more questions . . . slap them up here, and give just a bit more time that early in the morning . . . sheesh, some of us were just going to bed then . ..

also, if you email me, dennis@mossmans.com , I'll gladly email you back a user guide I made up for my customers (mostly new users) that they report makes it clearer how and what to do.

dennis
Old 02-04-2002, 10:56 AM
ira
Advanced

You'll only need one clay bar. There are 2 in the package, but you're probably only need to use one of them to do both cars. When you use the clay bar, use only one side and when it becomes to dirty to continue, stretch the bar and fold it in half so the dirty side is in the middle and you again have 2 clean sides. You should be able to get 15 or 20 sides of use out of the clay bar if you're careful when you fold it.

Ira
Old 02-04-2002, 01:49 PM

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for your posts!

Dennis, I will send you an e-mail later this afternoon, since I'm at school right now.

I really appreciate your help in this situation and am looking forward to ordering the wax later tonight or tomorrow!

Thanks again for all your help dennis!

P.S. Are there any local distributors for Zaino? I live in Tampa, Florida.

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ira
You'll only need one clay bar. There are 2 in the package, but you're probably only need to use one of them to do both cars. When you use the clay bar, use only one side and when it becomes to dirty to continue, stretch the bar and fold it in half so the dirty side is in the middle and you again have 2 clean sides. You should be able to get 15 or 20 sides of use out of the clay bar if you're careful when you fold it.

Ira
ahhh, the pasta folding method

never done it that way (yet).

i always just tear a piece off the size of a dollar coin (we have them in canada) - its just easier on me mentally, in case i drop and ruin.
i know i coult turn the dropped piece, but since its small, not worth the aggravation.

i think i'll try the pasta method in the spring (when everything defrosts up here )
Old 02-05-2002, 11:04 PM
ira
Advanced

I guess if you drop it, the "pasta folding method" might be a problem, but I don't drop them any more. I wonder if the thinner pieces you get when you flatten out a small piece work better? Also, are the thinner pieces harder to hold onto?

Ira
Old 02-06-2002, 08:26 AM
Racer

Ira - usually i end up tearing it into about 3. maybe 4 pieces.
its enough for 2 fingers to sit comfortably on . . and thats about as much pressure as Im going to apply.

i dont drop them anymore either (its a training thing) but i became comfortable with that amount and style.

also, it leaves me small unused sections if i make it through the whole car - and i can these days because its much cleaner than when i started doing this.

those i just give a squirt of the wash/water lube and wrap in plastic wrap and slip back into the jar.

dennis
Old 02-10-2002, 10:23 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Hey KCheng,

Just post pics up when you finish. You should look like Popeye if you are going to Zaino 2 cars at the same time. I do strongly suggest the ZFX and lots of Z-6 like Homer said, to cut down on time and to make sense with 2 cars. Z-6 is good, but won't last at all with 2 cars - more is better.