Applying Klasse SG After A Week?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying Klasse SG After A Week?

Hey guys,

Last week, I washed, clayed, and waxed my TSX using Klasse AIO. Before it gets too cold here in Pennsylvania, I would like to apply a layer of Klasse SG to add some extra protection. Since I just added a layer of AIO last Saturday, would it be ok to wash my car this coming Saturday and just apply a layer of SG? Or, do I need to completely start from skratch (wash, clay, AIO, SG)?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:11 AM
cmf
ATCer

I would see it as no big deal, ensure you put a good coat of caranuba on top of it all as well! If anything, maybe you should wash, AIO, then SG, but no need to clay it again.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:15 PM
10th Gear

You'll be fine, I waited about 2 weeks between my AIO and SG applications. Obviously you'll need to re-wash your car but certainly not re-clay nor reapply AIO.

Some tips about SG:

Less is more, you should barely be able to see it applied on your car. If you're getting heavy hazing you're using to much.

If possible let it sit on your car overnight (in a garage), at the very least try to let it sit on your car an hour before removing/buffing.

Have a "quick touchup spray" handy. It will certainly become usefull for those spots where you may have applied too much SG on. A quick mist and a wipe with a Micro-Fiber towel will clear up any stuborn spots. I would actually recommend going over your entire car with a touchup spray when you're done removing all the SG. Just to make sure you got all the SG off and in my opinion it makes the finish even look better.

As cmf said you'll probably want to put a good carnuba wax over the SG, especially if you have a dark color car (ie black, red, etc...) I would highly reccommed S100/P21S. There's other threads about this combo.

When you're done applying the SG your car will be shiny as all heck and well protected, but it will still look somewhat "stale". Again more of a problem with darker colors. Adding a good carnuba wax over the SG will make the paint have that desired deep/rich/wet look to it.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Racer

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I will keep all your suggestions in mind tomorrow while applying the SG. If it is as easy to apply as the AIO, I'm sure I won't have any problems. If only I didn't have to do all my washing and waxing in a self-service car wash stall...
Old 10-29-2004, 03:38 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by daniel1113
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I will keep all your suggestions in mind tomorrow while applying the SG. If it is as easy to apply as the AIO, I'm sure I won't have any problems. If only I didn't have to do all my washing and waxing in a self-service car wash stall...

That sucks, makes it harder to do the job the way you wanna get it done. Looks like you get to spend all day at the car wash.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Instructor

SG is not as easy as AIO... if you put too much SG it'll haze like a MOFO!
i used the 2 towel technique when i did SG, 1 damp MF towel, followed by dry towel, SG never came off so easily.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first weekend on a saturday on did aio then then hg. The next day I did another coat of the high gloss the next day. Left car for a week then washed it and did a third coat of hg.
results
As long as you wash it first there's no problem.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Hey guys,

Last week, I washed, clayed, and waxed my TSX using Klasse AIO. Before it gets too cold here in Pennsylvania, I would like to apply a layer of Klasse SG to add some extra protection. Since I just added a layer of AIO last Saturday, would it be ok to wash my car this coming Saturday and just apply a layer of SG? Or, do I need to completely start from skratch (wash, clay, AIO, SG)?

Thanks a bunch.
There is no wait time necessary between applications of AIO and SG. You can apply the SG right after your application of AIO. In fact, if your paint is prepared properly ie. claying and polishing, you can skip the AIO altogether and go straight to SG. I have used this method many times and have no problems with the SG bonding or durability issues. You will however need to spray the car quiclky with 50/50 water and alcohol mix to remove any waxes from the polish if you choose that method. I usually prefer to AIO as athen SG just to bring some extra kick to it. If you have a PC then apply with a black pad on about 4-5 and work it until it flashes or disappears almost completly. Do the entire car and then begin buffing off at your starting point. If you do this the heat from the pad and PC will accelerate the bonding time and therefore you wont have to wait 24 hours to remove. You shouldnt have to wait 24 hours either way you apply. If your appling by hand then a few hours is all that is needed for proper bonding. Waiting longer only helps with ease of removal. If you encounter difficulty on removal then use a QD spray and the SG comes right off. The SG bonds instantly with the AIO. If you wish to apply additional layers it is not really necessary to wait a full 24 hours. I often apply a second coat immediatley after my first coat. Though I am using a PC so like I said earlier the bonding time is not an issue do to the heat generated. I then wait a week and apply a thrid coat after a good washing. Then the week after I apply PUPP using the same method as the SG. Once the PUPP is on I will apply additional layers once a month. If you choose not to apply a polymer a nice carnuba will give it that extra warmth and "pop".
Old 10-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Racer

Once again, thanks for all of the suggestions. However, I am a little lost as to how I should handle applying the SG. Tonight, I will be heading out to the self-service car wash where I will wash my car and apply a layer of AIO. However, I'm confused at whether or not I will be able to apply the SG at all since I can't leave it on my car for more than an hour or so (there is no way I am going to stay at the car wash for more than a few hours). Any suggestions on how I can time all of this?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Is it possible for you to go to a friends or family members house to do it? If you HAVE to do at the car wash then wash the car and dry it and then apply the SG by hand with a slightly damp MF applicator pad. Then pull the car over to the side and do all your interior work while the SG dries. The SG will bond instantly with the AIO so the only reason some people like to wait for hours and hours is for ease of removal. If you have a QD spray handy and you do the interior while the SG sets up you shouldnt have a problem removing it. It may smear or streak while you're trying to remove it but thats what the QD spray is for. Just spray that area and it'll come right off. Dont worry though, you're not wiping off the SG, only the by-product of it.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:03 PM
Racer

I wish I had a relative nearby, or a friend with a house that I could go to. However, for the time being, I don't.

I will just do as you suggested, which will give the SG about an hour to dry, and then I will have my QD spray handy. I plan on heading out in a few minutes, so I will let you guys know how it turns out. Peace.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Not an Ashtray

I wish I had a relative nearby, or a friend with a house that I could go to. However, for the time being, I don't.

I will just do as you suggested, which will give the SG about an hour to dry, and then I will have my QD spray handy. I plan on heading out in a few minutes, so I will let you guys know how it turns out. Peace.

Daniel, go to autopia.com and do a search on "billNorth" method for apply Klasse SG. Essentially, Bill recommends that you apply SG to a relatively small section of the car, wait a few minutes, and then buff it off. That may sound daft, but it actually works quite well. I've used it on my TSX for a year and a half now, with great durability and shine.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by darth62
Daniel, go to autopia.com and do a search on "billNorth" method for apply Klasse SG. Essentially, Bill recommends that you apply SG to a relatively small section of the car, wait a few minutes, and then buff it off. That may sound daft, but it actually works quite well. I've used it on my TSX for a year and a half now, with great durability and shine.

Sorry Daniel, that is autopia.ORG. Anyway, here are the instructions (BillNorth's post at autopia):

Considering I've been getting PM's asking me to outline my official SG application/removal technique, I thought I would go ahead and start a thread that covers exactly how I perform wipe on, wipe off.

My technique is pretty simple.

In order to apply SG using wipe on, wipe off, you should do the following:

1. Take a terry covered foam applicator and spray it with water.

I initially recommended spraying the applicatior with a non-carnuba QD or water. I've changed my mind about this. Just stick to good old tap water. Too many different QD's out there that give different results.

Squeeze the applicator as much as you can so that most of the water is gone. All you should have is a slightly damp applicator. This will make the SG more pliable.

2. Apply a couple of drops of SG to your applicator and apply it to a section of your car (1/3 of the hood, half of the roof, etc) in a front to back motion. Once you have covered the whole section with SG, immediately wipe off the residue with a DRY charisma or MF towel in a front to back motion.

3. Repeat step 2 for every section until the whole car is done.

Notes:

- As mentioned before, wipe the SG off immediately, no dry time is necessary.

- The SG should wipe off very easily leaving behind a slick, smooth, and glossy finish.

- You should use no more than 1oz. of SG per coat on a regular size car (BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class)

- Only perform step 1 one time, before applying SG to the first panel. You do NOT need to spritz your applicator with water before applying SG to each section. Once you apply SG to a couple of sections the applicator will be wet enough with SG, negating the need for more water.

-Do not use any water or QD to aid in removal of SG. This will just cause the klasse SG to develop an oily haze/film down the road. I've also experienced this.

-Wait AT LEAST 24 hours before applying another coat of SG. SG needs time to cure and bond to your paint surface. I would personally wait a week. If you've driven the car ANYWHERE, then wash it before applying the next layer, or else you will just re-swirl your car.

-Put on three coats of SG, and you will be good to go.

-If you desire more warmth and depth in your paint, then apply a pure carnuba wax (no cleaner waxes) a week after you?ve applied the third layer of SG. Make sure you wash before you wax. You may experience some streaking or ghosting of the wax. I did, but it wasn?t enough to bother me. This is because SG and carnuba (any carnuba) don?t entirely get along. Consider yourself warned.

That's it!

Any questions, let me know.

Bill.

edit: I added some more points to the notes section.

edit Jan 1/04: I am now recommending against misting the applicator with QD. Mist it with water instead. Too many QD's give too many different results.

edit May 11/04: If you decide to put a wax topper over your SG, ensure it is a pure carnuba wax without cleaners. The cleaners in a cleaner wax will strip off your SG, resulting in a wasted effort.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info. I've ben using Autopia for a few months now... great site.

I applied the SG and let it sit for an hour. I then buffed it out without a problem using my detailing spray. Looks and feels awesome. Perhaps I will try this method next time.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Not an Ashtray

Thanks for the info. I've ben using Autopia for a few months now... great site.

I applied the SG and let it sit for an hour. I then buffed it out without a problem using my detailing spray. Looks and feels awesome. Perhaps I will try this method next time.

Can't go wrong either way. Klasse is a great product.

I wash the car once every two weeks or so, and then I use Sonus detailing spray on it. The finish looks great, and has lasted for about a year.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darth62
Can't go wrong either way. Klasse is a great product.

I wash the car once every two weeks or so, and then I use Sonus detailing spray on it. The finish looks great, and has lasted for about a year.
Same here... I've been sold on Sonus and Klasse. Great stuff. They both get the Daniel approval
Old 11-05-2004, 02:47 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

I agree, Klasse is great stuff. It worked well on my dark cars, but on white cars it isn't as noticeable. For that, I use Vanilla Moose hand glaze and S100 and it works great.