Anyone "towel dry" after chamoising

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003 | 07:56 PM
Manny Tranny

Anyone "towel dry" after chamoising

I used a 100% bath towel to dry the car after chamoising. I've never done this before and liked the fact I didn't have to really go over the surface with the chamois multiple times. The towel picked up the remaining droplets.

Anyone do this? Is is safe for the paint surface?
Old 04-07-2003 | 08:20 PM
Lucky Ole' Shamrock

if you blot the water droplets then you are fine, but if you swipe you are risking scratching the surface of the paint.
Old 04-07-2003 | 09:16 PM
Lone CL-P Owner

your best bet is to get a california water blade for 20$ then use the chamois after. dont use the chamois too much and you wont risk scratching the car.
Old 04-08-2003 | 07:36 AM
Manny Tranny

Originally posted by acuraman32cl
your best bet is to get a california water blade for 20$ then use the chamois after. dont use the chamois too much and you wont risk scratching the car.
acuraman32cl - I've seen comments on these water blades before.

With all the concern of contact on the surface, isn't this just as risky?

When you chamois after water blade, are you sliding the chamois over the surface, or just blotting to absord remaining moisture?

Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 04-08-2003 | 08:29 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I use a silicone water blade myself. Yes, you do run it over the surface and I'm sure I get micro-scratches from it, and I'm sure you can get the same micro-scratches from a chamois or anything you touch the surface of your car with. If you want to minimize contact of any material to your car then you have to consider the Shawn S method of the power leaf blower, and blow dry that water away.
Old 04-08-2003 | 05:08 PM
an adult perspective

after time, the chamois will pull the wax off the car.
Old 04-08-2003 | 09:53 PM
Homeless

I have a super-plush bath towel($15) with high thread count to dry off after chamois. It works excellent.

Just don't skimp on the funds when you find one, the cheap ones are like sandpaper after a few washes. And never use fabric softener when you wash it...trust me...
Old 04-09-2003 | 02:16 AM
BC
nearsighted visionary

2 x 3 foot microfiber waffle weave used to blot works well.
Old 04-09-2003 | 06:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Slimey
If you want to minimize contact of any material to your car then you have to consider the Shawn S method of the power leaf blower, and blow dry that water away.

I only use towels when waxing.
The car is PERFECTLY dry when I’m done with the blower.
Not to mention all the little spots that water LOVES to hide in like the mirrors, windshield wipers, door handles, under the spoiler, around the headlights, front grill, emblems and the crevices in the wheels.
All these areas are difficult, if not impossible to reach with a towel.

Shawn S
Old 04-09-2003 | 07:30 AM
Manny Tranny

Originally posted by Shawn S

I only use towels when waxing.
The car is PERFECTLY dry when I’m done with the blower.
Not to mention all the little spots that water LOVES to hide in like the mirrors, windshield wipers, door handles, under the spoiler, around the headlights, front grill, emblems and the crevices in the wheels.
All these areas are difficult, if not impossible to reach with a towel.

Shawn S
I havn't had the opportunity to "blow dry" my CL-S yet (two washes thus far). I have used a gas blower in the past on an MR2 and didn't like the results. I would see sections that had little beads and on a black car, it's a magnet for dust!!

It may have been that I didn't have Zaino on it (Mequires) and the water didn't roll off a nice as it does with Zaino?? I plan to do the full Dawn/Clay/Zaino this weekend. Then I'll give it a blow dry and see how it looks.
Old 04-09-2003 | 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by stejus
I havn't had the opportunity to "blow dry" my CL-S yet (two washes thus far). I have used a gas blower in the past on an MR2 and didn't like the results. ........It may have been that I didn't have Zaino on it (Mequires) and the water didn't roll off a nice as it does with Zaino??
Yes, the ZAINO is a big part of it.
I can actually judge the quality of my most recent polish application on how the water runs off the car.
When it starts to need a bit more air to move, I know it’s time for a touch-up “Z” application.

Shawn S

PS…. NEVER use a GAS blower.
Besides the whole FUMES issue, they also tend to spew traces of OIL from the air outlet.
NOT good for the paint.
Old 04-09-2003 | 10:49 PM
///M POWER

i use a gas blower, absorber and towels,

imma stop using the ca blade after i read that 1 thread