3M Swirl Remover

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Swirl Remover

I have a black cl-s. This car has a lot of swirls and scratch marks on the hood area. I have applied 4 coats of z-5 on it and it still doesn't cover the marks. I am thinking about using the 3M swirl remover. Do I need to DAWN the car first or can I apply the 3M over the Zaino?
Old 07-10-2001, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SIGRUDE:
<STRONG>I have a black cl-s. This car has a lot of swirls and scratch marks on the hood area. I have applied 4 coats of z-5 on it and it still doesn't cover the marks. I am thinking about using the 3M swirl remover. Do I need to DAWN the car first or can I apply the 3M over the Zaino?</STRONG>
If you are talking about the 3M polish, you better call Sal -- I forget the part # off hand, but I have some of the "recommended" stuff. I had some sap (that I mistook for water) make a real mess on one of my hood rails. I had to use alcohol to remove the Zaino (in the area to be fixed) and then I polished out the sap stain (a very long, long story).

I have been following Zaino stuff for a while, and the dawn will NOT remove the Zaino by itself.

Depending on what you want to do, you would be best served by going to:
www.zainobros.com -- find the contact info and send Sal an e-mail (he is very good about returning e-mails). If you want, you can always call him.

He is the man, when it comes to Zaino!

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 07-11-2001, 12:02 AM
Adult Supervision

You can certainly call Sal but my opinion would be to use the 3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colored Cars on the affected area. If Z5 does not do it after severl tries then the SMR should help. If that doesn't work switch to 3M Finesse IT fine cut which is a little more abrasive. Then reapply the Zaino as this will hvae been removed.

Key question: How did you get the swirls? Sounds like you need to review your wash regime and wash materials to prevent more...
Old 07-11-2001, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

Well, I bought the CL-S in MAY of this year. The car was built in Dec of 2000. It had 55 miles on it when I purchased it. I am sure it had been washed numerous times by the dealer. I know I didn't cause the swirl marks. One good thing, I got it at invoice. Thanks for the advise.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Good info Mike....I couldn't of said it better myself!

Bill97Z a.k.a. detailking.........
Old 07-11-2001, 04:02 PM
Adult Supervision

Bill,

As you well know, YOU DID! Thanks for the assist. Now I know we have a real expert on board!
Old 07-12-2001, 02:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I have to interrupt a mutual appreciation society, but Sal told me to remove the Zaino with isopropyl alcohol before using the 3M swirl remover #39009. (Yes, any polish with remove a sealer, wax, or other protectant finish with enough effort...)

The Finesse-IT should be used with a proper foam pad and buffer. (Great for destroying cars in the hands of the inexperienced!)

I would suggest that the Z5 be removed first, so the "real" extent of the swirls can be assessed. If that Z5 is left on there as "the masters say to do", it will make it more difficult to see what you are removing.

I am alway amazed at how shy people are about calling Sal or other vendors about their products and how to help them work best. I've had Sal return my e-mail in 5 minutes at times. And had him return emergency phone calls.

Be careful how much clearcoat you remove -- it provides the UV protection for the paint under it. If you remove to much, you might just end up with a car that will look great for 12 more months.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 07-12-2001, 01:09 PM
Racer

I used to own a black car, for which I bought some of the 3M Machine swirl/scratch remover. It did an awesome job on that car, as I was going crazy trying to get rid of the clearcoat swirl marks from the carwash, etc. My CL-S is 15 months old and I just got the buffer and the 3M stuff out--I never really had a chance to do a good cleaning and waxing after this past winter. I followed this with 2 coats of McGuires wax and the color and shine is awesome!
Old 07-12-2001, 03:11 PM
Advanced

I'll be doing some swirl removal myself. Picked my car up from some warranty work, and I think the freakin' dealer used sandpaper to dry it
I know I'm supposed to ask them not to wash it, but for goodness sake, I didn't expect this.
I thought about calling, complaining, and asking them to fix it, but what are theodds they'll even allow for the possiblilty of the swirls being caused by the 'experts' in their detailing area??
Old 07-12-2001, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by crrink:
<STRONG>I'll be doing some swirl removal myself. Picked my car up from some warranty work, and I think the freakin' dealer used sandpaper to dry it
I know I'm supposed to ask them not to wash it, but for goodness sake, I didn't expect this.
I thought about calling, complaining, and asking them to fix it, but what are theodds they'll even allow for the possiblilty of the swirls being caused by the 'experts' in their detailing area?? </STRONG>

Half of these so called "experts" as you called them, don't have a clue. It is like walking into a hand car wash and seeing them dry the car with two small hand towels and clean the tires first (and then drop the towels on the sandy ground)!!!

The minute the machine comes out, it is time to be very careful.

Anyone who values their car should try to get the car from the dealer with the plastic wrap left on it, or find a dealer that doesn't give it a swirl-job (via referrals) -- do make sure the car is off the truck; not a car that has been Indy 500'd