I can't win!!! I almost wiped out the car today!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I can't win!!! I almost wiped out the car today!!!!!

Bad things happen sometimes, but this pissed me off! On one of the local highways near me, no trucks are allowed and one entered this particular stretch of roadway. It was only on for an exit and I was following it about 3 cars back just thinking to myself that that guy better realize quickly that he can't be on this road because of the low bridges ahead of us. He must have figured it out and he moved to get off the highway, but just then he must have blown his engine or something else major because the smoke was tremendous and the 2 cars in front of me suddenly braked hard, and immediately began to spin out. Mind you we were traveling about 75 mph, but it was a beautiful sunny day with completely dry roads so to see cars suddenly spinning got my attention. About 2 seconds later I was fighting for control too! The truck spilled huge amounts of oil and diesel that covered almost 2 lanes. I had no time to prepare for it, nor avoid it as there were cars behind me and next to me on my left. I spun one full revolution followed by a semi-control 4 wheel drift as if I was on ice and somehow managed to slide into the grassy space off the exit ramp finally stopping without hitting anyone or anything. The two cars in front of me ended up hitting one car in the middle lane and came to a stop about 10 yards away from me basically kissing each other front end to front end on the shoulder after the exit. Four more cars slid into the area and hit one of the other two cars. Before looking to see how much damage I might have sustained I carefully moved off the grassy area back onto the exit ramp to get out of the way of other cars still entering the scene. The police got there in a couple of minutes and blocked off traffic. What a mess. Luckily other than dirt getting in the inside of the wheels and some tire scuffs, amazingly I have no damage! Strangely the collision mitigation did not kick in, but the traction control and ABS sure did a good job. It took me all afternoon to get all of the fuel from the truck off the car and clean things up. Again amazingly I have no damage. What a freak accident.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Bad things happen sometimes, but this pissed me off! On one of the local highways near me, no trucks are allowed and one entered this particular stretch of roadway. It was only on for an exit and I was following it about 3 cars back just thinking to myself that that guy better realize quickly that he can't be on this road because of the low bridges ahead of us. He must have figured it out and he moved to get off the highway, but just then he must have blown his engine or something else major because the smoke was tremendous and the 2 cars in front of me suddenly braked hard, and immediately began to spin out. Mind you we were traveling about 75 mph, but it was a beautiful sunny day with completely dry roads so to see cars suddenly spinning got my attention. About 2 seconds later I was fighting for control too! The truck spilled huge amounts of oil and diesel that covered almost 2 lanes. I had no time to prepare for it, nor avoid it as there were cars behind me and next to me on my left. I spun one full revolution followed by a semi-control 4 wheel drift as if I was on ice and somehow managed to slide into the grassy space off the exit ramp finally stopping without hitting anyone or anything. The two cars in front of me ended up hitting one car in the middle lane and came to a stop about 10 yards away from me basically kissing each other front end to front end on the shoulder after the exit. Four more cars slid into the area and hit one of the other two cars. Before looking to see how much damage I might have sustained I carefully moved off the grassy area back onto the exit ramp to get out of the way of other cars still entering the scene. The police got there in a couple of minutes and blocked off traffic. What a mess. Luckily other than dirt getting in the inside of the wheels and some tire scuffs, amazingly I have no damage! Strangely the collision mitigation did not kick in, but the traction control and ABS sure did a good job. It took me all afternoon to get all of the fuel from the truck off the car and clean things up. Again amazingly I have no damage. What a freak accident.
I am glad you are OK! That is the only thing that matters! Of course it is great that the Blackbird survived without a scratch, too!
That happens a lot on the Hutch.......people driving those trucks just don't pay attention, or they just don't care.....:-(
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM
MNH
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you really got lucky. Very good to hear that it sounds like there were no injuries (or at least serious ones).
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
sounds like you did win
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Yikes, glad you're ok!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
yes- glad everything ok
re collision mitigation, was there a point when you thought it should have kicked in?
just wondering if you got close to hitting anything
Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by getakey
yes- glad everything ok
re collision mitigation, was there a point when you thought it should have kicked in?
just wondering if you got close to hitting anything
I get false alarms fairly frequently (something to take it to the dealership soon about it), but the car in front of me was facing me (head lights facing me but sliding backwards) about 2 car lengths away while we were still going about 60 mph. No warning at all at that point. I get false alarms when I go to overtake another car aggressively, but in this situation it did not turn on. Maybe it did not come on because I was slowing down at about the same pace as the backwards car in front of me? Weird. I missed a guide rail on my right by about 6 feet, the car in the center lane by about 3 feet and generally stayed within my lane. I missed a sign for the exit by inches while in my 4 wheel drift as well as a reflector on a metal pole by what had to be millimeters. I threaded the needle, literally! BTW I am going to the body shop tomorrow to get my reflector on the rear bumper replaced.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 06-17-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Glad you're ok RLX-Sport Hybrid!! Hopefully this ends your streak of bad luck/crazy incidents.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
glad you're alright amigo.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe it did not come on because I was slowing down at about the same pace as the backwards car in front of me?
I would imagine that if you were already on the brakes (or off throttle), the CMBS would 'understand' that you're already taking action.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
Glad you're ok RLX-Sport Hybrid!! Hopefully this ends your streak of bad luck/crazy incidents.
I'm going on vacation soon. It will give the car a break. I've had it.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Of course, the "glass half full" way to look at things is that you've experienced some REALLY dangerous incidents and escaped with only some bat crap and oil on your car. Things could have been a LOT worse. If that is the case, I hope your current streak of crazy good luck continues forever.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
Of course, the "glass half full" way to look at things is that you've experienced some REALLY dangerous incidents and escaped with only some bat crap and oil on your car. Things could have been a LOT worse. If that is the case, I hope your current streak of crazy good luck continues forever.
It isn't like I am looking for trouble!!!! WTF????!!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
I would imagine that if you were already on the brakes (or off throttle), the CMBS would 'understand' that you're already taking action.
Maybe? I'm just disgusted that these weird things happen to me. I actually put my window down and screamed "REALLY?????? You have to $#cking be joking!!!"
Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe? I'm just disgusted that these weird things happen to me. I actually put my window down and screamed "REALLY?????? You have to $#cking be joking!!!"
I agree! It's totally bat shit crazy... wait!? Sorry for the poor choice of words! Just glad that you and Blackbird are ok.
sooththetruth (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
I agree! It's totally bat shit crazy... wait!? Sorry for the poor choice of words! Just glad that you and Blackbird are ok.
Good one! You know what I mean about just putting your hands up and screaming WTF????
Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're okay, because in the end that's all that really matters.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DASS
I'm glad to hear you're okay, because in the end that's all that really matters.
Yea yea I know, but I'm frustraiited that these stupid things just keep happening. It is like I have a target on the car for mayhem. The old bird backing into me, the bats, the deer jumping over the hood, and now this???? Thanks for your support. Actually all of you. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I agree with the others - the fact that you and no one else was injured is all that matters. I appreciate and understand your frustration though.

Just be careful out there - if Elvis is still alive, there stands a good chance that you will hit him...
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Just be careful out there - if Elvis is still alive, there stands a good chance that you will hit him...
Only because he's dodging the Greys. Those little guys are hard to see over the hood.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Blackbird wins again. I'm glad you weren't hurt (most important), and that Blackbird wasn't damaged (whew).

Hopefully, the police cited the truck driver.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
should have named it the Habu
Habu's strike, but never get struck
Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
I agree with the others - the fact that you and no one else was injured is all that matters. I appreciate and understand your frustration though.

Or...... win the lottery, cure cancer, and win the next Presidential Election all at the same time. I actually don't know if anyone was hurt because since I did not have any damage I did not have to stay at the scene according to the police. I hope nobody was. I can't find anything online about it in the local news. Maybe it was not a big enough thing to make the news blotters.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow! sound like something off of final destination
Old 06-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Did it play out in slow motion mentally or more instant like a lump on the head and wtf just happened.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flagship
Did it play out in slow motion mentally or more instant like a lump on the head and wtf just happened.
In real time, no slow motion. I was thinking at the time, are you freaking kidding me??????? AGAIN!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
how was your pucker factor? Sounds like quite the ride you had - maybe atrribute some of the crash avoidance to a great car. Glad you are OK and no major damage.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,675 Likes on 6,693 Posts
Oh wow...

I hate to say it, but the RLX guys have the worst luck in your cars but the best stories.. Didn't you also get attacked by bats a while ago..?

Glad you're okay OP, 'freak accident' definitely sums that up nicely..

The car is cursed, sell it...
Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by miner
how was your pucker factor? Sounds like quite the ride you had - maybe atrribute some of the crash avoidance to a great car. Glad you are OK and no major damage.
I know what you are asking. For those who have never driven on ice before as we do very frequently up here in the Northeast, although it is disconcerting to make driver inputs and have little to no mechanical response, the physics are hard to overcome in a slide like this on very slippery conditions. The car did respond beautifully as much as one could expect in the situation. The torque vectoring definitely helped make it more controllable. There was luck involved for sure, but I would sum it up as this: 50% luck, 25% driver skill, 25% car responsiveness in helping to avoid what could have been a decent accident. I still found no information in the local media of the accident. I was hoping to post an article on it if it existed.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Oh wow...

I hate to say it, but the RLX guys have the worst luck in your cars but the best stories.. Didn't you also get attacked by bats a while ago..?

Glad you're okay OP, 'freak accident' definitely sums that up nicely..

The car is cursed, sell it...
Weird luck for sure. Yes I colony of bats flew across the road in front of me a while ago. That was nasty! Not selling the car. To quote someone famous, "you can take my gun out of my cold dead fingers", or something to that effect.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Geez, RLX-Sport Hybrid. You need to be more careful with that car; it is hard to replace! Just kidding. It sounds like your driving skills, as well as the car's handling, were the deciding factors. Glad you and it are okay. Stay safe.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Got back from the body shop and the reflector piece in the rear bumper was replaced for $125. My dealership told me they will send me a coupon for the equivalent value. Very nice of them. They found 3 pieces of someone else's car parts that were stuck inside the rear bumper from the accident I narrowly avoided yesterday. They also removed some embedded grass from the underside of the car I missed in the cleanup. One of the cars from the accident was there and already torn down for repairs. I did not realize that one of them was a MB E350. That was the car that was at the shop. I could not take any pictures though. It had front bumper, hood and front left quarter panel damage.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good to know you were safe man. no offence to truck owners , but I honestly see so many bad truck drivers and they piss me off, like some let off a crap load of smoke coal rolling or whatever its called. They think there the shit when they have a truck , and that's what makes me mad.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through unscathed. We've all had one or two experiences like that. All you can do after your knees quit shaking is say "S#!^" and give thanks to whomever or whatever force saw you through it. Sometimes, life is really random.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-18-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Holy crap, man! glad you and others came out ok.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Wow crazy story. Glad you are okay Things tend to happen in threes, so maybe you are good for awhile (haven't followed your other incidents - bats, etc)? Maybe you should try the lottery or a casino You mention you are in the northeast, perhaps Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun??
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Luck has nothing to do with it. This is what happens when ppl tailgate so closely. If you saw it coming then you should have reacted sooner and got away from the truck instead of staying behind it.

I make sure to leave gaps because of bad drivers, and debree that is scattered all over our highways. Semi's flinging tire chunks everywhere is the worst.

Who needs a safe car when God is your passenger.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
Luck has nothing to do with it. This is what happens when ppl tailgate so closely. If you saw it coming then you should have reacted sooner and got away from the truck instead of staying behind it.

I make sure to leave gaps because of bad drivers, and debree that is scattered all over our highways. Semi's flinging tire chunks everywhere is the worst.

I try and leave the appropriate gaps on the highway, not so much to avoid mishaps like this but not having to slow down and touch my brakes (because people don't know how to maintain their speed when going uphill) but the gaps are always filled by other drivers................ It's a catch-22
The following 3 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
JM2010 SH-AWD (06-19-2015), pgeorg (06-19-2015), TampaRLX-SH (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Wow crazy story. Glad you are okay Things tend to happen in threes, so maybe you are good for awhile (haven't followed your other incidents - bats, etc)? Maybe you should try the lottery or a casino You mention you are in the northeast, perhaps Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun??
I am very frustrated that these things have happened. I will be on vacation many times this summer so there will be long periods where I will not be driving at all so I guess that is a good thing. I have been to both Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun and they do nothing for me. I am not a gambler by nature and that scene is not for me.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,675 Likes on 6,693 Posts
That hindsight bias/ monday morning quarterback working out well for you?

Sometimes sh!t just happens and despite how much you can prep and practice for it, it does not go your way. I think OP got out just fine and doubt he was 'tailgating'. But glad to see you're such a law abiding citizen

JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!

Quick Reply: I can't win!!! I almost wiped out the car today!!!!!