One week in: observations and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
One week in: observations and questions

Whomever signed off on the center console design should be flogged... who makes cup holders right next to the only music input? That input should either be in the closed bin behind the cup holders, or glovebox. Not only for the spill factor, but to keep the goodies out of sight. If my coffee cup is in the cup holder, then ipod/phone/usb stick is on display.

Also on the topic of those cup holders, why no rubber stabilizers to keep beverage containers smaller than the physical holders from wobbling around?

I looked underneath and under the hood for the first time... is the turbo in the front of the engine, or in the back between engine and firewall? I think it is behind, but couldn’t get a good view of the snail...

My previous Acura’s had a center lift point at the front and a tow hook at the center rear that you could use a floor jack on. At the rear I didn’t see a point that looked suitable, and at the front, there may be a spot (a flattened area on a cross member). There isn’t anything in the manual that I have found yet that mentions a front and rear lift point, so I am unsure of the area I thought I saw at the front.

On the topic of around view camera, how hard would it be for the rdx at the center of the display be color matched to the car? It is only software, how hard could that be? (I ask, being a software developer, somewhat sarcastically ...)

Old 10-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
...Also on the topic of those cup holders, why no rubber stabilizers to keep beverage containers smaller than the physical holders from wobbling around?..
Yeah, I guess a number of manufacturers missed the boat on that one. Found this on the internet, it works for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
qwxilvr (10-14-2018), subin (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Agree w/you 100% on the cupholder placement & design!...also the turbo is in the front. If you look at an angle at all that metal between the engine & radiator from the passenger side headlight you can see the snail under a heat shield or two..

Two weeks in - my observations:

- why does the front collision system always beep when I am going out of a driveway - doesn't the system know that it is beeping at the ground?
- My navi system went completely haywire, nothing would work and the GPS went completely crazy shaking and jittering and spinning in circles. Then when I parked the car, the screen wouldn't turn off for at least 30 min til i pulled the fuse.
- I am beginning to think Acura/Honda needs new QA testers to actually test things for bugs before releasing to the public. Why are auto manufacturers so bad at technology?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you are the beta tester!
Just following Big tech's footstep's...release fast with things broken....then send out incremental updates as "features"
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
One week in, 240 miles

Thank you MI-RDX for the hack,

I am only one week in (Los Angeles area) with no major issues and I have driven the RDX in medium rain (about 35 miles) and left it outside when it was raining for a couple of hours.
- No squeaky brakes
- No Infotainment issue (but I have not paired the Samsung S8 phone to it yet)
- No GPS issue.

Minor issue/concerns:
- Tailgate makes a brief deep rubbing noise when opening, as if some rubber parts are rubbing each other. This does not happen all the time though and not when closing it.
- With Lane-Keep on and Adapted cruise control, the Lane-Keep failed to follow the FWY sharp curve a couple of times. One at night and one when it was raining, both at around 75 mph.
It is not consistent enough, so I will continue to monitor this.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I like the cupholders; I put microfiber cloths in them. Helps me wipe fingerprints and general dust in the cabin easily and takes care of the condensation from the cups/bottles.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subin
- With Lane-Keep on and Adapted cruise control, the Lane-Keep failed to follow the FWY sharp curve a couple of times. One at night and one when it was raining, both at around 75 mph...
LKA works by 'seeing' the lane lines. If they're obscured for any reason, including glare, the system can't work. Neither LKA or cruise control should ever be used when raining. And remember, LKA is Lane Keeping Assist not autonomous steering.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
birdonamission (10-15-2018), subin (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
Lane-Keep failed to follow the FWY sharp curve a couple of times.
I've experienced this as well, on a perfectly dry sunny day. Seems like this feature needs some work.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
LKA works by 'seeing' the lane lines. If they're obscured for any reason, including glare, the system can't work. Neither LKA or cruise control should ever be used when raining. And remember, LKA is Lane Keeping Assist not autonomous steering.
Totally agree with you. I was just testing to see how good it would work.

Also, I have experienced "late shifting" in "Comfort" mode. A couple of times, it would hold the gear too long before shifting. Again, a minor concern and I am keeping an eye on it.
The following users liked this post:
romer (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:56 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I am still waiting for my car delivery but during my test drive, LKA + ACC worked just fine, no issues. At times I was bit skeptical but the Sales Rep was very confident about it and asked me to just trust the system..
Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
A number of years ago, I bought a first year "newly re-designed" car.....NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!.....I became an "beta tester" and paid tens of thousands of dollars for the "privilege"....NEVER EVER AGAIN!!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Racer

I bought redesigned Accord in 1997 (1998 model) and worked like charm. So, it depends.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if normal or not, the Passenger Airbag Off indicator is on even though no one is sitting in the passenger seat as soon as someone sit in it, the light turns off
Old 10-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by moogie
Not sure if normal or not, the Passenger Airbag Off indicator is on even though no one is sitting in the passenger seat as soon as someone sit in it, the light turns off
Yes, The "off" light is illuminated when the seat is empty, and not when occupied. Make sense?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

The light is on to indicate the passenger airbag system is off (normally when the seat is empty). If it's on when someone is in the seat there's a malfunction somewhere and it needs to be checked out because the airbags will not deploy if needed.
moogie (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, i thought the light would be off when the seat is empty, then if someone who weights less that 65lbs i think then the light would turn on.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whomever signed off on the center console design should be flogged...
concur!!

not only the cup holders.... but the huge driving dynamics knob, and its surrounding trim needs a major re-do as well.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Coolguy
I bought redesigned Accord in 1997 (1998 model) and worked like charm. So, it depends.
Cars are so much more dependent on Technology today and much more complex - as compared to 20 years ago.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
A number of years ago, I bought a first year "newly re-designed" car.....NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!.....I became an "beta tester" and paid tens of thousands of dollars for the "privilege"....NEVER EVER AGAIN!!
I guess I take risk on first model years:
  • 1995 Chrysler Cirrus
  • 2001 Chrysler Sebring
  • 2002 Honda Civic Hybrid (spouse)
  • 2007 Honda CR-V
  • 2019 Acura RDX
No first year issues with any of them (so far on the RDX).

Well, there was an AC compressor clutch failure on the CR-V covered under special extended warranty for that known defect.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianC778

Well, there was an AC compressor clutch failure on the CR-V covered under special extended warranty for that known defect.
I had the same AC compressor clutch failure on my 2004 TSX but ended up replacing it myself before Honda admitted/issued the recall/extended warranty. It was a hell of a 2 day project that unbeknownst to me before starting required a complete dropping of the sub frame just to get to the compressor. Glad i did it myself tho because it cost only about $700 and meals for my friend who assisted, rather than the $3,500 Tustin Acura wanted to do the work... gosh i miss that car and the 6MT
Old 10-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
I am noticing a rather high idle (1500 rpm) on a cold start. It lasts at least 1-1.5 minutes.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

I am noticing a rather high idle (1500 rpm) on a cold start. It lasts at least 1-1.5 minutes.
That's fairly normal for all new vehicles now. It's to get everything up to operating temperature as fast as possible - mostly for emission control systems.
qwxilvr (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
That's literally been the case for every vehicle I have ever owned. Some of my vehicles have even idled at 2200 rpm for a good minute before falling down to 1200 gradually.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Racer

common function . nothing wrong with it
Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Three Days In

We got our RDX AWD Advance three days ago, and have barely driven it other than a short commute to work. Some first impressions:

Upon getting in to drive for the first time, which happened to be at night: It was night, and I couldn't see the controls. Holy crap is this thing complicated. What have we done? How does any of this work? Oh. Okay. That does that.... and this works that. Huh. That's kind of cool... The seat adjustments appearing on the display is very helpful, and kind of fun. They are very comfortable seats.

Then, moving on down the road:

I love the head-up display. We have it set to show the vehicle speed and speed limit. It briefly shows stereo information when you change stations or adjust the volume, too. I thought it would be a fun gimmick but it's really useful to know your speed without having to look down.

I think the stereo is fantastic. It's part of why we went with the Advance. Some songs sound better than others, but when a good song comes on and I turn the volume up I can't help but be impressed. Very enjoyable.

The true touch interface seems okay so far, we are still getting used to it. I am surprised some reviews judge it so harshly, I find it to be pretty straightforward. We have not used the navigation yet, but this forum has forewarned me of its shortcomings.

I'm not sure about the automatic high beams yet. They are pretty aggressive and go on a lot. I worry about blinding or offending other drivers, but they dim the lights quickly. And the brights illuminate far down the road. I am seeing signs in the distance much earlier than I am used to.

I have to give the heated seat another try. I turned it on last night on the drive home from work, but I was so distracted by the heated steering wheel I am not sure how well the seat worked.

We are looking forward to driving more and figuring more things out.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWG
...I have to give the heated seat another try. ....
Historically I haven't been a big fan of heated seats (contrasted to my wife who won't let me buy a vehicle without them), but I'm really beginning to appreciate the seats in the advance. I put them in 'auto' during the summer for the ventilation feature and like the way it adjusts as conditions change. When temps got cooler I left them in 'auto' and the seats work really well, warm enough when the interior is really cold and the seats adjust as it warms up.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Historically I haven't been a big fan of heated seats (contrasted to my wife who won't let me buy a vehicle without them), but I'm really beginning to appreciate the seats in the advance. I put them in 'auto' during the summer for the ventilation feature and like the way it adjusts as conditions change. When temps got cooler I left them in 'auto' and the seats work really well, warm enough when the interior is really cold and the seats adjust as it warms up.
I agree. This is my 4th vehicle with heated seats, and while it hasn't been real cold here yet, they work by far the best. All my other vehicles only had 2 settings, and the low setting always got too hot after a while. The 3 settings on the RDX are perfect. And I'm really impressed with the heated steering wheel, starts out hot, but goes to a warm setting automatically after a few minutes, and it's perfect to the touch.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM
DWG
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrWoo
And I'm really impressed with the heated steering wheel, starts out hot, but goes to a warm setting automatically after a few minutes, and it's perfect to the touch.
I knew my wife would appreciate the heated steering wheel, which was another factor favoring the Advance. And boy, was it nice! As Dr. Woo stated, starts out hot and then stays nice and warm.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
When you have the wipers on and put the car in reverse, the rear wiper automatically comes on. It's the little things...
Old 11-11-2018, 11:00 AM
DWG
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjacke
When you have the wipers on and put the car in reverse, the rear wiper automatically comes on. It's the little things...
That is a nice touch. I have to give a shout out to Honda, as our 2017 CR-V Touring does the same thing.