New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

My recent 2004 TL repairs and observations and possible helpful tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My recent 2004 TL repairs and observations and possible helpful tips

Hey All!

Well, I'm not a new Acurazine member, but I have not been too active. I have been toying with the idea of getting a new car soon, to up the mpg, since we are going to see rising gas taxes in my state and I am ready to give the oil companies and my state a big middle finger! I was thinking of a 2014-2015 Honda Accord Hybrid with 40+mpg, but I've had a few recent issues with my car that needed to be addressed and that started me on addressing the small to medium issues also, and now I may end up enjoying my TL for a little while longer, especially, since I am not sure the market value of it is close to my value, with all the care and maintenance I have put into it.

Recent issues I've had to address:
* 2 years ago my tranny went out. I only then found out this was a common issue with these TL's. But, it happened at 216k miles, which I hear is pretty good. I had some motor and tranny mounts replaced at the same time, when it was easy and for no additional labor cost.
* I now have 262k on it and just had to change the timing belt and water pump
* Then radiator cracked a couple weeks after and just had it replaced, along with the thermostat

So, after I had to put in some major money into the car and into my mechanics hands, I decided to finally address the annoying issues I have been living with, by doing these myself:
1) Finally changed the door lock actuator in the left rear door - no more manually unlocking it by stretching through the drivers window or making sure it is locked when I park.
-What I learned:
---For some reason, I could find the OEM front actuator for a little over $10 online (ebay), but the rear one I had to spend about $110 to get! I also learned that the parts guy at the closest Acura dealership to me, is kinda a D*$&, and I will happily go a few extra miles to a competing dealer, who is much more pleasant and accommodating I only went to them since I needed to get the part quick to change it before a trip and I wasn't sure the one I ordered online was going to make it in time. Luckily, I got the one online and returned the other one to the D*** dealer.
-- it is common to break the green clip on the cable to the interior handle. So, be prepared to be able to run out and get one to replace it at the time you are doing this repair. Otherwise, you have to either go through the hassle of removing the door panel and latch mechanism again, or keeping it off until you get the cable.
-- It may be a good idea to get backup replacement clips for the door panel, in case any break and get lost. Didn't happen to me, but I got that tip from a youtube video, so I was prepared
-- Have a manual impact driver available, you most likely will need it to remove the 3 door latch screws on the end of the door, without stripping them. It's good idea to have one in your toolbox anyway, and they are typically under $20 at a local hardware store, and will save you A LOT more than that in time, frustration, and potentially money, when you have to pay someone or get some special drill bits to remove those stripped screws. ALSO - might be wise to get some extra screws as backup, just in case. They are between $1-$2 each. Although, that is a lot for a screw, but again, it is worth it, to have rather than have to leave the job unfinished till later.
-- Generally speaking, this repair is not that difficult and I enjoy knowing the ins and outs of my car, and feeling of accomplishment, as well as saving the money.

2) Replaced the hood shocks so I no longer have to use a monopod or selfie stick (I don't use it for any actual selfies!) to keep my hood propped open or get banged in the head while checking my oil. I used aftermarket ones I got on ebay for around $15. Very easy to replace.
3) Replaced center console cup holder assembly, since the sliding cover broke a long time ago. online store for $91, pricey but worth it, now that I can use my cup cover again! Easy replacement.
4) One of my exterior handle caps/covers came off a while ago. I don't what there technical name is but they are the color coded end adjacent to the exterior door handle. Then I realized how easy all 4 of them are to take off or fall off. I'm surprised none ever came off before. They are not even clipped on, they just have 2 plastic things which create a little friction when you push them on, so they don't come off, and those pieces broke on one of mine. So, I got a new one and they are now made differently, where they clip on and shouldn't come off as easy. But, I then walked around to the other doors and simply pulled at each of them and they all just popped off very easy. So, I need to keep an eye on them. Cost - $12 online.
5) Exterior door seal/weather stripping for driver's door.I realized the top right corner of the seal was missing a small section, causing an increase in interior noise. So, I got a new one online for $40. Replacement was fairly straight forward, except you have to disconnect the interior door arm in order to get the seal around the entire door. I broke a cheap socket, since I wanted to make sure it was very tight, since it does help support the door, when it is open. TIP - get a good set of tools!
6) When I replaced the door actuator, I found I was missing a screw cover near the interior door handle, so I found one for $5 at a dealer and replaced it.

Things I still need to do:
I have a small crack in the windshield that I am going to repair with one of those repair kits
One of my vent tabs has the chrome nicked off, so I may buy an after market tab to try and see how it looks. Since, otherwise, I'd have to buy the whole vent assembly for hundreds of dollars.

Now, I am liking my car again, and may have to hang on to it a while longer, maybe to 400k, who knows!