Newb Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb Question

Recently (a month ago) bought my wife a ‘19 RDX Advanced and while after much research for the best car for her and our needs, I’m really struggling with this car. We sold our Golf R because she felt it was too much of a “guy” car and now that she has this, I feel the RDX is too much of a chick’s car. I’ve never driven it nor do I have any desire to do so.

Chick’s car, Yes or no?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXROX
Recently (a month ago) bought my wife a ‘19 RDX Advanced and while after much research for the best car for her and our needs, I’m really struggling with this car. We sold our Golf R because she felt it was too much of a “guy” car and now that she has this, I feel the RDX is too much of a chick’s car. I’ve never driven it nor do I have any desire to do so.

Chick’s car, Yes or no?
I felt that way the first time I saw an Advance at the dealer. Ended up getting an A-Spec. But I think you need to drive the car. You might change your mind. Or you can change up the appearance.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cm2021
I felt that way the first time I saw an Advance at the dealer. Ended up getting an A-Spec. But I think you need to drive the car. You might change your mind. Or you can change up the appearance.
I drove the car during our search and while it worked best for her i just felt it was ok. A little noisy, stumbles out of the gate, and a little too much body styling for my taste. Looking for 20” tire and wheel package because as everyone knows the stock rims are hideous. Other than that, it’s all hers. I’m good driving my ‘19 Ram.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah, fair enough, especially coming from a Ram
Old 03-13-2019, 03:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I'd love to lie and be like "Cars don't define masculinity" but say that about driving a smart car or a fiat 500....etc. There are clearly some girlier cars than others, but I can wholeheartedly say the RDX is not one. It doesn't register as feminine or soft to me whatsoever. So I'd say no. Fwiw a majority of the people I see on the road driving pickups tend to be woman :wink:
Old 03-13-2019, 03:20 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I'd love to lie and be like "Cars don't define masculinity" but say that about driving a smart car or a fiat 500....etc. There are clearly some girlier cars than others, but I can wholeheartedly say the RDX is not one. It doesn't register as feminine or soft to me whatsoever. So I'd say no. Fwiw a majority of the people I see on the road driving pickups tend to be woman :wink:

I like the RDX because it is unexpected and nimble... It is a car that says "inelegant, precise, agile, tactile" and so on... In fact, to me, Acuras are like Audis, WVs, Mazdas, Saabs, Alfa Romeos... They aren't flasy like a Benz, or sporty like a BMW, they are balanced and intelligent... The normal person can drive it daily and never realize this... I feel the same about Hondas... They are special, in an unexpected way! That's why I love my 1G RDX so much... Because it's unexpected and inelegant!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Chick car? No. IMO, there aren’t that many chick cars out there. The Fiat has been mentioned. The New Beetle is gone, and maybe the Mini. Otherwise, to me, most cars are just cars.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I sure don't see it as a "chick" car. As mentioned before, I don't see a lot of cars as "chick" cars. I guess it's because I see women driving Challengers, Beemers, Porshes, etc all the time here. A women in my neighborhood drives a Hellcat aggressively.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it's a car. it's unisex. JC
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it's a car. it's unisex. JC
Ummm, maybe not always.

The following users liked this post:
justnspace (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Seriously? You went from a Golf to the RDX and you think it is a "Chick Car"? Drop it in Sport+ mode and press the D/S button and get on it and you will change your mind.. Also a chick car can't do crazy speeds going around a cloverleaf on a highway exit...
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Seriously? You went from a Golf to the RDX and you think it is a "Chick Car"? Drop it in Sport+ mode and press the D/S button and get on it and you will change your mind.. Also a chick car can't do crazy speeds going around a cloverleaf on a highway exit...
He went from an R which isn't just a Golf. 288hp in an AWD small package make for a very competent car that can run rings around most everything.

The last car that I thought of being a "chick car" was the old "new beetle" with the flower vase. Aside from that, the only thing that "may" imply gender is color and I can't think of many cars that come standard in a purely guy or girl color (the 2019 Golf R excepted with a choice of 30+ special order colors) although some color combinations might be more attractive to guys or gals - black over brown or red over beige.

There is nothing about an RDX that says "chick car" unless you consider the SUV the new minivan.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
It doesn't come off as a chick car to me like most of the compact Lexus line up. I went with the A-Spec because it is a more sportier and masculine look. I just did not like the wheel options on the Advanced. I would have to get different rim options if I had the Advance.

MA
Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would tend to agree non-Aspec models look far too boring and less aggressive, which may qualify as a chick car / soccer mom transporter. I came from an S4 6MT, this is my first SUV. Looks manly enough for me, and when you cross shop anything in this catergory, nothing is too exciting unless you can break bread for something such as a SQ5 or X3M40i, which I cannot. Plus, I was looking for more reliability and no German service intervals that require ridiculous amounts of money.

Also, if your Golf R was a automatic, this isn't any less boring, my buddy had an Auto Golf R, nothing fun about mashing a pedal and going.

Last edited by Phil Onyschuk; 03-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
...........I’ve never driven it nor do I have any desire to do so.

Chick’s car, Yes or no?
If you aren't driving it, likely won't be doing much in the future and the wife likes it - does it matter? Is it just a matter of making the adjustment from the Golf R and/or seeing it in your driveway? Maybe you were used to jumping into the Golf R and taking it out from time to time and now not having that option?
Absolutely not being confrontational just trying to understand you concern/question. I don't believe it's a chick's car.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Time was, almost any white car was a chick car. Especially coupes. Then, for a while, white went completely out of style and hardly anyone bought white cars. Now, white cars are back, big time.

Mine's a chick car; and with the parchment interior, it's a TOTAL chick car. But I'm secure enough in my personhood.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Grown ass man

Chick’s car, Yes or no?
Does the fact my wife's executive position salary, that pays for our cars, make my Advance a chick car?

GTFOH with your little boy talk
Old 03-13-2019, 07:19 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis
Does the fact my wife's executive position salary, that pays for our cars, make my Advance a chick car?

GTFOH with your little boy talk
You seem nice.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Instructor

You seem nice.
For serious, what was the point of this post?

do you find the angular styling femine?

do you see the stance not a reflection to today’s modern values towards performance?

No, rather you questioned: Is this a chick car?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 PM
5th Gear

For serious, what was the point of this post?

do you find the angular styling femine?

do you see the stance not a reflection to today’s modern values towards performance?

No, rather you questioned: Is this a chick car?
The point of the post was to simply have dialogue and convey for whatever reason, I find the vehicle leans more toward female drivers. Apparently you missed the point I made where my wife felt my Golf R felt like a guys car. Any interest in calling her out and state “GTFOH with your little ‘girl’ talk”?

For whatever reason people associate some vehicles to a specific gender, e.g., a VW Beetle - very few guys stepped up to the plate and bought one. Congrats you were bought an RDX, glad you like it. My wife enjoys hers and that’s all that really matters.

Later.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Instructor

The point of the post was to simply have dialogue and convey for whatever reason, I find the vehicle leans more toward female drivers. Apparently you missed the point I made where my wife felt my Golf R felt like a guys car. Any interest in calling her out and state “GTFOH with your little ‘girl’ talk”?

For whatever reason people associate some vehicles to a specific gender, e.g., a VW Beetle - very few guys stepped up to the plate and bought one. Congrats you were bought an RDX, glad you like it. My wife enjoys hers and that’s all that really matters.

Later.
You incorrectly assumed I was speaking towards you wife. In fact the opposite, it was directed towards you.

Your manner of bringing up the subject pretty much screamed “back in my day, a girl...” Hence my response stating how my wife is a bad ass and keeps her man blinged out.

my sincere apologies for any offense felt toward your wife. Not my MO In this post.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM
5th Gear

You incorrectly assumed I was speaking towards you wife. In fact the opposite, it was directed towards you.

Your manner of bringing up the subject pretty much screamed “back in my day, a girl...” Hence my response stating how my wife is a bad ass and keeps her man blinged out.

my sincere apologies for any offense felt toward your wife. Not my MO In this post.
Not sure where you’re going with this nor do I really care. I realize you specifically directed your statement at me. Either way, I really don’t have any interest in continuing a conversation with you.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Chick’s car, Yes or no?
Hell NO. The RDX is definitely not a chick car(CUV) especially with the appearance package i.e A-Spec.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Ummm, maybe not always.

I bought Pink magazine followers for my AR-15.
color dont mean shit lol

Change the wheels and I'd rock the shit out of that H2
Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
My wife loves it, but I don't consider it a Chick's Car.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM

people are so insecure lol