Infotainment System Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Infotainment System Frozen

Won't turn off. Dropped it off at the dealer. Video of the problem:

Was driving with iPhone plugged in via CarPlay. Car made a high pitched beep noise and all audio stopped. SiriusXM says "tuner error", FM radio won't play, Bluetooth won't recognize devices. Also, when scrolling through the settings, some of them are grayed out, and when I try to select them, the car says "this is not available while in motion". Won't turn off.

I'm not alone here, check out other posts with same issue. Hoping Acura issues a fix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...moment-973646/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...frozen-970892/
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ff-car-973841/
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I've had this too. You have to pull the audio fuse on the inside fusebox to reset the infotainment system.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Any updates?
Im a long time TL/MDX owner...convinced my dad to buy Aspec RDX. He has 6k on it and nothing but computer issues such as frozen NAV and radio preset issues.
He documented it w Acura. They finally took it in last month. Completely..i mean completely gutted interior and redid wiring harnesses...they told him its fixed...well as soon as he picked it up he could see it was exactly the same. The dealer isnt denying the issue
he has filed with Axura corporate....nothing so
far but loaner....
Old 11-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
We now have multiple threads on the exact same issue. We either need to combine them or close a thread or two. The issue is NOT one the dealer can fix...you patiently have to wait for Acura to update the software.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Seems to be two types of Frozen Infotainment System issues.
Bad - Freezes but shuts own with car, on car restart system works again. This is what has happened to mine. I re-set the system from Settings and has not yet reoccurred.
Very Bad - Freezes but does NOT shut down with car, like this one stated here. Seems common issue is Apple Car Play.

I do not use Apple products, so Apple Car Play is not active on my system.
Also, I try to stay away from Google stuff, but that is another story.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TLbullet
Any updates?
Im a long time TL/MDX owner...convinced my dad to buy Aspec RDX. He has 6k on it and nothing but computer issues such as frozen NAV and radio preset issues.
He documented it w Acura. They finally took it in last month. Completely..i mean completely gutted interior and redid wiring harnesses...they told him its fixed...well as soon as he picked it up he could see it was exactly the same. The dealer isnt denying the issue
far but loaner....
I should have followed up. The dealer at first didn't believe me (of course). The front line customer service guy rolled his eyes, and walked out to my car. I had a feeling he was hoping it would just turn off and he could smugly send me on my way. After a couple moments of poking the start/stop button he just goes "huh". Slinks back inside. They gave me a loaner (thank god), and called me at the end of the day. Unfortunately, they couldn't figure it out. They called the "tech line" (apparently a thing!) and they confirmed Acura/Honda is aware of the issue, but don't have a fix yet. They are hoping to address it in a future software update. they instructed the dealer to just pull my battery and reset the system to factory defaults. Frustrating for me because I had to change ALL my settings again in the infotainment system (set up bluetooth, favorite, home screen, audio, etc etc). Next time I won't let them do that and just pull the fuse myself.
The following users liked this post:
Curious3GTL (11-11-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Don’t pull the fuse...just perform the control alt delete that was described and your setting will remain intact.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by TLbullet
Any updates?
far but loaner....

Ok, so they really don't know... I guess Acura engineers are scrambling to figure out what the heck is going on... Atleast, we can hope...
Old 11-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
First thing I do is to not try anthing until the system fully boots. My BMW took a bit of time for the iDrive to fully boot up, and everything was slow until it did. Let the whole stem fully boot before you do stuff that might get in between.
Boltface (11-05-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Ok, so they really don't know... I guess Acura engineers are scrambling to figure out what the heck is going on... Atleast, we can hope...
Typical garbage software these days. I'm a software engineer, and I see this kind of crap every single day. I bet a hundred bucks all development is outsourced to east bum-whatever, probably to the lowest bidder, with junior developers who are learning as they go. I would also bet that programming was done in Java, which is notorious for memory leaks and other unpleasantries which result in random freezes and crashes UNLESS the code is meticulously written by highly experienced developers. Acura got what they paid for...
knakane (11-12-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I had my system freeze up yesterday, I remote started the car, got in and turned it on and plugged in my iPhone and it just froze on the disclaimer screen. Drove home, shut the car off and it still stayed on, got out locked the doors still on. I call the dealer and they say to disconnect the battery. But I decided to pull the fuse instead right by the drivers kick panel. After pulling the fuse and putting it in (fuse was fine) it would not come on at all now. Just a black screen. I’m like wtf. I go inside to grab my sockets to disconnect the battery, I come out and try one more time and bam it came back up. No doubt a software glitch, it essentially an android tablet. I even found a secret menu if you go click on the version of software a bunch of times (android software version) it will bring you to this menu that lets you test the track pad, which essentially works as a full laptop touchpad in this screen, very accurate. Also if you click build a bunch a times you will get the development menu to come up. I’m wondering if I could load my own version (enhanced) version of the Acura android with new features and bug fixes :P could add some settings in there such as double click unlock to unlock all doors. Who knows what could be done, seems the car all ties to this android system for a bunch of stuff. Maybe get remote start on the standard key fob. I also happen to be a programmer, not sure how far I’ll take this

Last edited by Dereileak; 11-08-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I had my system freeze up yesterday, I remote started the car, got in and turned it on and plugged in my iPhone and it just froze on the disclaimer screen. Drove home, shut the car off and it still stayed on, got out locked the doors still on. I call the dealer and they say to disconnect the battery. But I decided to pull the fuse instead right by the drivers kick panel. After pulling the fuse and putting it in (fuse was fine) it would not come on at all now. Just a black screen. I’m like wtf. I go inside to grab my sockets to disconnect the battery, I come out and try one more time and bam it came back up. No doubt a software glitch, it essentially an android tablet. I even found a secret menu if you go click on the version of software a bunch of times (android software version) it will bring you to this menu that lets you test the track pad, which essentially works as a full laptop touchpad in this screen, very accurate. Also if you click build a bunch a times you will get the development menu to come up. I’m wondering if I could load my own version (enhanced) version of the Acura android with new features and bug fixes :P could add some settings in there such as double click unlock to unlock all doors. Who knows what could be done, seems the car all ties to this android system for a bunch of stuff. Maybe get remote start on the standard key fob. I also happen to be a programmer, not sure how far I’ll take this

heck ya! Dive into the source code and release a bootleg infotainment system!!!

The bugs with this thing are pretty irritating. Super slow startup time, not saving previous screens, freezes, radio not loading, audio occasionally cutting out. Hopeful that it actually does get ironed out with a software update some day.

I get that software has bugs, but it’s been out for some time now with no updates.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Besides quite a few glitches as others have seen I had a new one yesterday. I was listening to XM Radio, turned off car and opened door. Usually this will stop the audio. Not this time, audio and display still on. Power switch did nothing, turned ignition off and on, no change, got out of car and locked doors. Music still playing. Got back in, started car and did the alt, ctl, del sequence and that reset the infotainment.

Yes it ticks me off that a 47k car has these issues. I have zero confidence that these issues will be fixed in a timely manner. Hell, you talk to the Acura service people and they all act dumb and know nothing about it and are evasive.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Besides quite a few glitches as others have seen I had a new one yesterday. I was listening to XM Radio, turned off car and opened door. Usually this will stop the audio. Not this time, audio and display still on. Power switch did nothing, turned ignition off and on, no change, got out of car and locked doors. Music still playing. Got back in, started car and did the alt, ctl, del sequence and that reset the infotainment.

Yes it ticks me off that a 47k car has these issues. I have zero confidence that these issues will be fixed in a timely manner. Hell, you talk to the Acura service people and they all act dumb and know nothing about it and are evasive.
how do you do this control alt delete reset?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks

Don't be mad, this almost ALWAYS happens when you have a brand new infotainment system and price is irrelevant, as this effects vehicles twice as much as this relatively cheap luxury CUV. However, I do thank you for being in the test pilot program for this new system and encourage you to keep providing detailed feedback so that others like myself will have a much smoother experience in the 2020 TLX type-S.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

how do you do this control alt delete reset?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16325492

The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
DWG (11-11-2018), Yotrek (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow nice finding, thanks for sharing..