How to plug in a USB memory stick to the main USB port

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
How to plug in a USB memory stick to the main USB port

Don't plug the USB memory stick directly to the slot, because the memory stick will get hot and cause the Infotainment to freeze . Also you can accidentally damaged that important USB slot if you accidentally hit it at an angle, because you have some other items in that slot next to the cup holder.
Use a USB male to female extension cable and you can cool down the Memory stick . Get the shortest one , because the long cable can interfere with the USB 2 speed specs

Old 08-12-2018, 04:54 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Good idea, it remind my 2013, it actually come with usb extension build in to connect the stick
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I know the manual says to use an extension cable, and to not leave a usb drive connected to the system, but this to me is a big miss in the RDX. I had a mini usb drive plugged into my 2015 CRV for 3 years, and I have the same in my 7 year old Tacoma, never an issue. And why aren’t there 2 usb slots in the console, 1 for the 5.1 FLAC files, and 1 for Apple Carplay/Android auto?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
They sell short cables for $5 or so, might be a good idea for USB stick. Am thinking of getting a short lightning cable for my phone, since the regular cable is all coiled up un there.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does the 2019 RDX not have a vent in the console?

My 2014 TSX has a vent that allows the blower air to flow into the center console. It can be closed to prevent air circulating in there as well ( I keep it open. )
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmod
Don't plug the USB memory stick directly to the slot, because the memory stick will get hot and cause the Infotainment to freeze . Also you can accidentally damaged that important USB slot if you accidentally hit it at an angle, because you have some other items in that slot next to the cup holder.
Use a USB male to female extension cable and you can cool down the Memory stick . Get the shortest one , because the long cable can interfere with the USB 2 speed specs

I am missing something.

1) What's the difference between the heat generated by the USB stick if it's in the port or 5 inches away on a cord in the pocket?
2) What's the difference between accidentally hitting the USB stick and putting pressure on the port or accidentally hitting the end of the cord that's plugged into the port?

Just curious.......
Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oblio98
I am missing something.

1) What's the difference between the heat generated by the USB stick if it's in the port or 5 inches away on a cord in the pocket?
2) What's the difference between accidentally hitting the USB stick and putting pressure on the port or accidentally hitting the end of the cord that's plugged into the port?

Just curious.......
1. The heat generated by the USB stick will be transmitted directly to the USB slot and you can feel it gets very hot after a few hours . When you use the extension cable , the USB memory stick does not feel that hot after the same time and definitely the USB slot does not get as hot . I guess the cable acts as a heat reducer between the the USB slot and the Memory stick
2. If you plug directly to the USB slot , some Memory stick are that long that will protrude out of the slot , The USB extension cable Male connector is pretty short and it fits snugly to the USB slot . I have a real incidence with longer USB memory stick connected directly to my laptop and then I accidentally bumped it against the USB slot and damaging it . Just want to be careful.
Also, you eliminate wear and tear on the main USB slot , because you can always replace a $5 USB extension cable VS replacing the main USB slot

Another benefits , is when you are driving and trying to swap memory stick , its so much easier to just feel the female USB connector to unplug and replug a new Memory stick . Then plugging directly to the main USB slot

Last edited by dcmod; 08-12-2018 at 12:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcmod:
pgeorg (08-12-2018), robuckj (08-19-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:09 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
1. The heat generated by the USB stick will be transmitted directly to the USB slot and you can feel it gets very hot after a few hours . When you use the extension cable , the USB memory stick does not feel that hot after the same time and definitely the USB slot does not get as hot . I guess the cable acts as a heat reducer between the the USB slot and the Memory stick
2. If you plug directly to the USB slot , some Memory stick are that long that will protrude out of the slot , The USB extension cable Male connector is pretty short and it fits snugly to the USB slot . I have a real incidence with longer USB memory stick connected directly to my laptop and then I accidentally bumped it against the USB slot and damaging it . Just want to be careful.
Also, you eliminate wear and tear on the main USB slot , because you can always replace a $5 USB extension cable VS replacing the main USB slot

Another benefits , is when you are driving and trying to swap memory stick , its so much easier to just feel the female USB connector to unplug and replug a new Memory stick . Then plugging directly to the main USB slot
That makes sense. I already ordered some 1 FT USB extensions from Amazon. I did notice that my 128Gb stick was hot when I took it out, so preventing the heat from transferring into the car makes sense, I just never thought of it!

THANKS
Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrWoo
I know the manual says to use an extension cable, and to not leave a usb drive connected to the system, but this to me is a big miss in the RDX. I had a mini usb drive plugged into my 2015 CRV for 3 years, and I have the same in my 7 year old Tacoma, never an issue. And why aren’t there 2 usb slots in the console, 1 for the 5.1 FLAC files, and 1 for Apple Carplay/Android auto?
Maybe because the new infotainment is more computer like than your older cars , where it does not do as much as the new RDX infotainment .
The new RDX infotainment is based on Google Android . Just checked on every Google Android system out there ie : smartphone , tablets , infotainment etc .. The OS does not support more than 1 USB slots , so for Acura to designed it themselves , it might be more cost prohibitive
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (08-12-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Acura does recommend using an extension to attach a thumb drive to the USB port, but in terms of protecting the vehicle I think it has more to do with preventing physical damage to the port, including wear from repeat insertions. ( I'll let you guys think about that one for a while... )

The USB port is connected to a long cable that runs to the infotainment system in the dash, so IMO there is little chance of transferring heat to that.

However, apparently there is a good chance of the thumb-drive device overheating because the plastic surrounding the port has poor heat conductive properties, the cubby it rests in has little ventilation ( especially if you pile other stuff in there ), and ( perhaps the biggest factor ) it is potentially in direct sunlight. When the thumb drive overheats it can misbehave and mess with the digital logic of the infotainment computer. ( Kinda seems like the OS and it's device drivers could be more robust in dealing with that ).

As for USB support, my previous vehicle was a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring. It had an Android based infotainment system and it had more than one active USB port. Three of them, as I recall.

But updating the Garmin Nav maps in the Pilot through the USB ports was a bit "interesting" because one port seemed to work more reliably than the others. So the interface was buggy. Maybe Honda uses a digital hub that isn't very robust, or the OS isn't very robust in dealing with it? Dunno.

But it's pretty disappointing to have only one active USB port in RDX.
BigDogMG (06-25-2020)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
...( Kinda seems like the OS and it's device drivers could be more robust in dealing with that )...
It would seem that way but the software/firmware can only deal with whatever the hardware allows. If there's a H/W interrupt the S/W looses control and can't do anything.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It would seem that way but the software/firmware can only deal with whatever the hardware allows. If there's a H/W interrupt the S/W looses control and can't do anything.
But couldn't it "time out" if it doesn't get a response within a specified period of time? Or is this a fundamental limitation of USB and/or el cheapo thumb drives?

It's been a few decades since I thought about maskable vs non-maskable interrupts.

What's your opinion on the multiple USB port issue?

Last edited by Wander; 08-13-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Instructor

This got me thinking if the RDX Android OS support USB Host mode define as USB Host Mode (Android) And The OTG Extension. According to the USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard a device is classified as either a host or a peripheral device. In the most common scenarios the host, such as your PC, acts as a controller and the peripheral, such as a USB drive, responds to its commands.

Most smartphones or tablets support this USB OTG / Host mode that allows multiple USB ports from a single USB port , BUT the OS needs to have the drivers / firmware to support this mode .
Here is an example above.
Just plugging a USB to multiple USB hubs is not the same without the USB host controller on the hubs itself . I know the regular USB hubs does not work as a splitter
I think if the RDX support this mode , we might be able to have 1 USB slot for USB memory stick and another USB slot for Apple Car Play . I don't think it will support 2 USB memory stick , because there is no choice for 2 USB memory stick on the infotainment console

Last edited by dcmod; 08-13-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Instructor

More data on Android support of USB OTG:
https://turbofuture.com/consumer-ele...with-USB-Ports

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that with Android tablets and cell phones running Android Version 3.1 (Honeycomb) or newer support the USB On-The-Go from within the Android OS. Just in case you have never figured it out, the versions of Android are in alphabetical order.

So for instance, Gingerbread would not work as that would be the version before Honeycomb. Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean would work as they are newer than Honeycomb. But having Honeycomb or newer does not necessarily guarantee that USB OTG functionality will work on that device though.

As we all know, there is a countless list of different hardware manufacturers using the Android OS on their different hardware platforms. It is possible that even though the Android OS version on the tablet or smart phone is capable of supporting the USB On-The-Go technology, the manufacturer of that device may have turned off the USB hosting functionality from within the hardware’s firmware.

This is not very common but should be considered. In the rare event that the manufacturer intended to use the Mini-USB as a power only port, an OTG data cable will not work on that device. Again this is not common and odds are a OTG cable will work just fine without an issue. Plus the cables are very inexpensive.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
But couldn't it "time out" if it doesn't get a response within a specified period of time? Or is this a fundamental limitation of USB and/or el cheapo thumb drives?

What's your opinion on the multiple USB port issue?
Unfortunately it's not 'black and white' simple. The 'timers' themselves usually involve another bit of software that has to gain control of the processor in order to perform it's function. There are hardware timers but even they are not foolproof.

If the USB (or any device) initiates an interrupt and effectively says "don't do anything else until you hear from me" and then doesn't do anything further you end up with a non-responsive system because the processor is waiting. The only recourse in this situation is to remove power because the other controls (buttons, dials, etc.) generate their own interrupts that have to be handled by some piece of software that will never get control.

It's entirely feasible that the quality of the components will have an adverse effect and cheaper will usually mean lower quality - even though performance specs may be the same. A cheap flash drive may have the same performance specs and capacity but the internal components may be less heat tolerant, or have a higher failure rate due to less stringent QC at the production point.

Regarding the multiple USB ports that's constrained, as most things are, by a combination of hardware ($$) and software ($$) limitations. It can be done because it is being done so my guess is it's a business decision based on some combination of cost, benefit, and market demand. Probably less than 1% of RDX owners would ever use more than 1 port, and I put myself in the 99%.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Get one of the low profile sticks - those that are the size of the wireless keyboard/mouse transmitters. I pull my stick about twice a year to update it. Otherwise, it stays installed and out of the way - and doesn't get hot.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Have u tried it on the 2019 RDX ? I have low profile, long stick , medium stick, USB2 , USB3 sticks , but it always get hot , even worse when the temp outside is 90+ without an extension cable
Old 08-19-2018, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
.I think if the RDX support this mode , we might be able to have 1 USB slot for USB memory stick and another USB slot for Apple Car Play .
I wish it would, but the Owner’s Manual says (page 239):
”• We recommend using an extension cable with the USB port.
• Do not connect the iPod or USB flash drive using a hub.
• Do not use a device such as a card reader or hard disk drive, as the device or your files may be damaged
.”

I’m not a techie but it sounds like you’re talking about a “hub” situation. I’ve read some posts where folks may have used an SSD as a media source, so maybe such a hub can be successfully used—but it sounds risky given the “do not” language.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:12 AM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use a 90 degree adapter with a SanDisk UltraFit 64Gb USB Flash Drive that ends up pointing up in RDX with no interference with the slidding console cover/lid.

Using the small USB stick directly into the the port was my preference but it did get hot.

I tried a 6" USB extension cable but it was always a pain putting wallet and phone in that console section.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Racer

I know you aren't supposed to us a hub with the usb in the console, but has anyone tried something like this, a hub with an on/off switch for each device? I'm wondering if you can put a usb drive in slots 1 to 3, and use the 4th on for Apple Carplay, as long as you just have one selected at a time. Also, adds an extra charging port in the console.

Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails How to plug in a USB memory stick to the main USB port-41qnyhy2ayl.jpg  
Old 09-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Just to note, I have a Low Profile USB3 (64 gigs) in my 2019 and there is no heat issue. Ran for two hours Friday and was fine. I can close the flap an have lots of room for other stuff.

First post.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:04 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any solution?

Has anyone been successful in finding out which, if any, USB splitter or hub can be attached to the main usb port on the console and then play music from a usb drive and still have Apple carplay work?

And I am correct in stating that the other usb ports under the front console and the rear usb do not allow to attach a usb drive and play music from that other port?

So frustrating !!!

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan J
Has anyone been successful in finding out which, if any, USB splitter or hub can be attached to the main usb port on the console and then play music from a usb drive and still have Apple carplay work?

And I am correct in stating that the other usb ports under the front console and the rear usb do not allow to attach a usb drive and play music from that other port?

So frustrating !!!

Thanks in advance
No hubs allowed as per the manual. All other USB ports are for charging only. Put your music in your phone. If you don’t have enough space delete apps your not using or get a bigger captivity phone. Nobody has been successful in tricking the system. What’s so hard about putting music on your iPhone????? If people would read their manual we wouldn’t have 3 threads on the same issue.
Get a short extension cable or a shorter lightning cable and leave it plugged into the main port. Apple sells them, I use one and leave it plugged in to the main usb 24/7 with no issues.

Last edited by kboo74656; 01-06-2020 at 08:17 AM.
markm929 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:47 AM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
No hubs allowed as per the manual. All other USB ports are for charging only. Put your music in your phone. If you don’t have enough space delete apps your not using or get a bigger captivity phone. Nobody has been successful in tricking the system. What’s so hard about putting music on your iPhone????? If people would read their manual we wouldn’t have 3 threads on the same issue.
Get a short extension cable or a shorter lightning cable and leave it plugged into the main port. Apple sells them, I use one and leave it plugged in to the main usb 24/7 with no issues.
I use a 128Gb USB stick for my music ...
Old 01-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan J

So frustrating !!!

Thanks in advance
The manual is the manual. There are usually ways around just about everything, except that USB port. I have tried a portable hub, like was shown above, and a USB switch (two different things), and got different errors for each attempt. They don't work. And no, I cannot fit my 1500 flac files on my iphone, hence the reason why some of us want to keep the thumbdrive plugged in and use our iphone when needed, without unplugging the thumb. The biggest reason I have is when I do unplug the thumb, and plug it back in, it has to go through its 'loading' etc etc etc to be able to use the darn thing. If you don't unplug it, it behaves much better. There is evidence that it keeps knowledge of the drive, but it does not seem to manage it too well.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Racer

To those saying “just put your music on your phone”, is there any way to play 5.1 surround flac files on an iPhone and actually output all the channels through CarPlay? That’s what I use my usb stick for, and the surround sound is amazing. I know that dates me, not too much 5.1 music produced these days, but it does force me to use the native nav if I want to listen to some amazing music on a road trip.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by DrWoo
To those saying “just put your music on your phone”, is there any way to play 5.1 surround flac files on an iPhone and actually output all the channels through CarPlay? That’s what I use my usb stick for, and the surround sound is amazing. I know that dates me, not too much 5.1 music produced these days, but it does force me to use the native nav if I want to listen to some amazing music on a road trip.
That's a good reason also. I too have a couple 5.1 albums. Wish I had more. Sounds terrific. Don't know how to get those files onto iphone, also the files are huge, sooo
Old 01-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Pro

First world issues, oh the whites!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:00 PM
'20 RDX Elite

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
USB hubs would typically be disabled, it will be a nightmare if hubs are enabled, a lot more ppl would be disappointed when their random USB hubs do not work. USB hub issues are almost similar to Bluetooth incompatibility issues. It also does not help that the Android used in the infotainment system is an older version, hence older Linux kernel (3.x.x kernel is old, but this is an Android limitation), limits the available usb hub drivers.

It definitely is annoying to have only 1 USB port, this could be a hardware limitation and they could bere repurposing the OTG port for this purpose. It could also be a design restriction for not having to deal with 2 USB devices simultaneously (more likely). So even if you find the OTG port, you probably won't be able to use it for anything else as it might be configured for Android reflashing purposes (by dealer or factory).
Old 01-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kboo74656
First world issues, oh the whites!
Not sure what the color of my car has to do with me wanting to enjoy some good music.
SpaceBot (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Pro

That was supposed to say whines! Darn auto correct!!!
Old 06-25-2020, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the main reason I bought a stubby USB stick, to save my FLAC files and play music from that. And I dont have to plug my iphone in every time I get into the car. This was all working fine but about a month ago Im unable to pick an artist, song, or folder to play the music. Its stuck on one song. I've done the 3 finger reset to reboot it. I've turned the car on and off. I've let the car sit over night. Anyone have ideas on how to resolve?
Old 06-25-2020, 04:49 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by BigDogMG
This is the main reason I bought a stubby USB stick, to save my FLAC files and play music from that. And I dont have to plug my iphone in every time I get into the car. This was all working fine but about a month ago Im unable to pick an artist, song, or folder to play the music. Its stuck on one song. I've done the 3 finger reset to reboot it. I've turned the car on and off. I've let the car sit over night. Anyone have ideas on how to resolve?
can you play music off your stick on your computer? try another stick, any size, with a couple songs on it.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Just for the record, we've had a stubby USB drive plugged directly into the USB slot in the center console for more than one year now and no issues whatsoever. Still works just fine, hasn't overheated, etc...
Old 07-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Retired Geezer

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts
My setup. A very short USB 3 C cable plugged in to a Samsung external hard drive. I bought the cable from Monoprice for a few dollars some months ago. No stress on the car’s USB plug. Th plug also fits in to my Note 8 so I only need one cable. Yesterday my wife asked me “ Where is my cable?”