USB No Data -- then recovered

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile USB No Data -- then recovered

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has come across this? I have a 2019 Acura RDX. The USB stick with music worked fine until this morning. When I tried to play something it said NO DATA please check manual etc. So I left it. On my return trip home this evening I tried again and everything was back to where it was and working.

On the evening start the only thing I did was to put it into "Accessory Mode". It displayed the usual Disclaimer and boot screens then it proceeded to read in the USB Stick music catalogue. This reading in took a while, I would say almost 5 minutes or more.

Maybe someone can explain this behavior? My hunch is that in the morning I started the car right away and something was weird with the boot sequence and hence the Audio system and the USB stick got out of sync,. The Audio system does not reboot until the car is fully shutdown and restarted. I did try removing / re-inserting the USB stick but that did not work. So unlike a Apple Mac or Windows or Linux, the USB is not re-read until boot time if it thinks it has the same USB stick. Correct assumption?

Best, Mike.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I rarely use my USB now because I am sick and tired of the buggy system. For me, I get those no data errors and the loud squelch during playback. Acura has no fix for it .. yet... I am very disappointed with that especially since I have hundreds of GBs worth of multichannel music on my USB drives.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbes88
Hi,

Not sure if anyone has come across this? I have a 2019 Acura RDX. The USB stick with music worked fine until this morning. When I tried to play something it said NO DATA please check manual etc. So I left it. On my return trip home this evening I tried again and everything was back to where it was and working.

On the evening start the only thing I did was to put it into "Accessory Mode". It displayed the usual Disclaimer and boot screens then it proceeded to read in the USB Stick music catalogue. This reading in took a while, I would say almost 5 minutes or more.

Maybe someone can explain this behavior? My hunch is that in the morning I started the car right away and something was weird with the boot sequence and hence the Audio system and the USB stick got out of sync,. The Audio system does not reboot until the car is fully shutdown and restarted. I did try removing / re-inserting the USB stick but that did not work. So unlike a Apple Mac or Windows or Linux, the USB is not re-read until boot time if it thinks it has the same USB stick. Correct assumption?

Best, Mike.
I am having better luck playing USB flash drives than I did earlier since I replaced the extension cable between the port on the car and the flash drive. The old one tended to lose continuity I suppose due to the normal vibrations from the car when in motion. Sometimes it caused a break in the music when the infotainment system re-initialized when I think it lost continuity. It still is a little quirky from time to time but better with the new cable. It is a cheap fix if that helps.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I rarely use my USB now because I am sick and tired of the buggy system. For me, I get those no data errors and the loud squelch during playback. Acura has no fix for it .. yet... I am very disappointed with that especially since I have hundreds of GBs worth of multichannel music on my USB drives.
Ii find the USB drive is less buggy the longer the car has been driven. Hopefully this is addressed with the update coming😬
Old 12-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
When I first tried music on the USB drive sometimes it would work and sometimes it would hang with some error. I switched drives and the new drive does not cause errors. However when the car is turned off and back on some time later the song that was playing starts again but as soon as it's over it switches to another USB folder and starts playing another song. Then I have to go back to music library back to the USB drive then back to the folder I was playing before then back to the song. Quite a pain. I've now learned that when the car starts up and the old song starts to play I hit the rewind to return it to the beginning of the song and then it continues on the the next song in the list. That explanation is probably as clear as mud but it works for me.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
There is a software coming for the head unit this week. I strongly suggest that everyone holds off on additional complaining until we see what the update fixes as it may impact several issues associated with the radio and NAV set-up.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, securityguy! The update came out, dated 12/12 (get it via wifi) that purports to fix this, and many other audio system issues. Please anybody report back if this issue happens again after the update is installed.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The update made things worse. Now I can't use my ipod unless I unplug and plug it back in every time. No idea why this is happening now.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Kind of wish I didn't install the "fix". A few annoyances I have noticed so far:

1. When you go to the "music library" the "folders" icon is now on screen 2 and there is no way to move it to screen 1, Grrrr..... Since the last screen you viewed doesn't "stick" I now have to swipe every time I want to select a folder from my music files.

2. When you turn off the car while playing a song that is from a folder that has multiple albums with "random play" active, the system doesn't remember where it left off. The next time you start the car, most of the time it will start playing a song from another folder that was not selected and worse, it repeats the same song endlessly. When this occurs the "tab" encoder wheel and the tab buttons will not advance to another song. Until you go to the home screen and go through the motions to select the folder you were playing again it just repeats the song. This is a new issue since the "upgrade" err "downgrade".

3. The "caps" keyboard is no longer available on the nav search screen. If you select the lower case or upper case characters they both bring you to the lower case alpha characters. The only work around is to switch to pad entry where you can put in the caps you want and then switch back to the keyboard to complete your entry in lower case. This is a new issue.

4. The nav "favorites" except for the home location were eliminated during the update. You can find downloaded locations if you downloaded them via acuralink and add them back to favorites, otherwise you need to add them in manually once again. Also, I have a duplicate in the download list and I can find no way to remove one of them, really annoying so maybe someone can help me out with this one.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
Kind of wish I didn't install the "fix". A few annoyances I have noticed so far:

1. When you go to the "music library" the "folders" icon is now on screen 2 and there is no way to move it to screen 1, Grrrr..... Since the last screen you viewed doesn't "stick" I now have to swipe every time I want to select a folder from my music files.

2. When you turn off the car while playing a song that is from a folder that has multiple albums with "random play" active, the system doesn't remember where it left off. The next time you start the car, most of the time it will start playing a song from another folder that was not selected and worse, it repeats the same song endlessly. When this occurs the "tab" encoder wheel and the tab buttons will not advance to another song. Until you go to the home screen and go through the motions to select the folder you were playing again it just repeats the song. This is a new issue since the "upgrade" err "downgrade".

3. The "caps" keyboard is no longer available on the nav search screen. If you select the lower case or upper case characters they both bring you to the lower case alpha characters. The only work around is to switch to pad entry where you can put in the caps you want and then switch back to the keyboard to complete your entry in lower case. This is a new issue.

4. The nav "favorites" except for the home location were eliminated during the update. You can find downloaded locations if you downloaded them via acuralink and add them back to favorites, otherwise you need to add them in manually once again. Also, I have a duplicate in the download list and I can find no way to remove one of them, really annoying so maybe someone can help me out with this one.
I showed issues 1,2 and 4 to the District Service Manager today and he was shocked about the QA for the update. He has promised a call to the tech division today and hopefully a fix will be released quickly.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
I showed issues 1,2 and 4 to the District Service Manager today and he was shocked about the QA for the update. He has promised a call to the tech division today and hopefully a fix will be released quickly.
Meto, Thanks for going the extra yard and letting us know about it. The District guy should be shocked about having these issues slip through QA pre-release testing. Even some rudimentary testing should have noticed these problems.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB error, dealer response

I brought my new RDX to the dealer for their free "30 day status" check. I complained about the "usb error" and "device not recognized" and the service people offered many excuses: using poor quality usb sticks (wrong , I had new Kingston 3.0 sticks), I did not format the sticks ( wrong, did that ) I should use an extension ( I did, and it didn't help) and basically they stone walled me. The sound system in my 2010 TL was so much better than my new RDX. I stopped using usb music and use bluetooth off my cell...that works. I will, however, bring the car back to the dealer and start to establish a paper trail. I forgot to mention...I did the upgrade last week and it's worse.$ 52,000 for a car that get's me mad every time I'm in it. I had a TL for 8 years with not one problem.

Another issue: the guidelines on my backup camera are wacky, out of line, at least 13 inches. Dealer says, " They are just for reference, not for precision parking". So I said, " Great, you replace the sprinkler heads my wife breaks when she drives off the driveway". So, I taught my wife to use the tilted mirror.