Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Windows Vista Prices, Release Date Leaked On Amazon

Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/in...try_id=1547418

Tuesday, 29 August 2006
Now Playing: True People's Celebration podcast
Topic: software

Joe Wilcox at Jupiter Research's Microsoft Monitor blog discovered pre-order pricing information for Windows Vista upgrade packages on Amazon.com yesterday. Here's what he spied with his little eye:

• Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade, $99.95
  • Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade, $159
  • Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade, $259
  • Windows Vista Business Upgrade, $199
According to the individual pages for the various upgrade packages, the release date is set at January 30, 2007. This detail was noticed by Ed Bott at ZDNet, and he has also has some observations on the confusing mess that customers will encounter when they try to select the proper upgrade package.

Consensus seems to be that pricing for the upgrade from XP to Vista is in line with expectations, if not higher. The Canadian upgrade prices, posted by Bott yesterday, are in line with most industry predictions that Vista licenses will be about $40-50 more expensive than corresponding Windows XP licenses.

As for the release date, it has to be taken as a maybe. After all, this release date is simply one that Amazon has attached to its SKU, and it's not a hard release date announced by Microsoft. In case you're wondering, there isn't an official release date for Vista just yet, but developers within Microsoft have vaguely offered "late January" as a possible release date. The Amazon dates back up that claim.

Amazon has often posted crazy-strange preliminary street dates for vaporware and titles without definite manufacturer's release dates. For example, if you're excited to hear the new Boredoms album, or if you want to get your hands on the DVD release of Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2, you only have to wait another 19 years.

Meanwhile, the first release candidate of Windows Vista has already been made available to the public.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Ex-Navy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifty bucks says it'll be delayed until March or April
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
XP For Life...
Old 08-29-2006, 03:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
That's alot of coin to be a guinea pig.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Ex-Navy

Originally Posted by juniorbean
XP For Life...
I wish...

DirectX 10 is going to drag me into Vista kicking and screaming
Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
That's alot of coin to be a guinea pig.
No i'm the guinea pig.

I have been running it in one form or another for about 6 months. And it is now factors better than it was at first. But the thing is until the 2nd cut after Beta 2 was released to the public every build that went out had debug turned on so it was slow as crap and had extra bugs because of the debug code.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
XP For Life...

Will our new mod be Vista Ditor?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/29/tech...cnn_topstories

Microsoft Windows Vista goes on sale at Amazon

Software giant still has not set a release date for the new version of Windows, which sits on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers.
August 29 2006: 4:43 PM EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) -- Amazon.com has started taking early orders for Microsoft's long-delayed Windows Vista operating system, offering versions of the product from $100 to $399.

The retailer's Web site said the software will be available on Jan. 30, and an Amazon (Charts) spokesman said on Tuesday the date was an estimate based on informal conversations with Microsoft and others in the computer industry.

Microsoft spokesman Lou Gellos declined to comment on Amazon's pre-sale, saying the software maker is still finalizing its pricing model. It has not set a release date for the new version of Windows, which sits on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers.

Microsoft has repeatedly postponed the release of Windows Vista, which is already five years in the making. Quality assurance delays have put off the consumer version of Vista until early 2007 - after the crucial holiday shopping season. Vista is due to ship to corporate customers in November.

Goldman Sachs analyst Rick Sherlund said in a note to clients that Amazon's pricing on high-end versions of the software was above his forecasts.

Vista will be sold in more versions than Microsoft's current Windows XP operating system, with different lines targeted at consumers and businesses.

Amazon's pricing ranges from $100 for a basic upgrade version of Windows to $399 for a full "ultimate" version of the operating system, according to the retailer's Web site.

"The pricing of higher-end versions, which we believe will be more popular than the lower-end versions, may be more significant and longer lasting than the incremental upgrade revenues that have been of greatest focus by analysts," Sherlund said in his note.

Sherlund also said that a Jan. 30 release date would be about two months ahead of what he was expecting.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I Know Right?

Sweet
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Not as expensive as I thought it would be. But then again, those are just the upgrade prices, not for a full install.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
It will be interesting to see how quickly enterprises want to upgrade.

So far I see no reason for an every day business user to need an upgrade.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by doopstr
It will be interesting to see how quickly enterprises want to upgrade.

So far I see no reason for an every day business user to need an upgrade.
They won't

Most smaller companies will just upgrade when they by a new machine. And the larger ones, for most it will take at least a year.

I know I will have it one of my office machines as soon as we get the VL RTM build. And I will be installing it on many others as we need to test our software on it but the general population of the coperation will be at least a year or more. That is what XP took.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
No i'm the guinea pig.

I have been running it in one form or another for about 6 months. And it is now factors better than it was at first. But the thing is until the 2nd cut after Beta 2 was released to the public every build that went out had debug turned on so it was slow as crap and had extra bugs because of the debug code.
True, but there is no doubt SP1 will arrive sooner rather than later.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
My company never went to XP, we're still on 2000 and are skipping XP while piloting Vista right now to deploy across the enterprise pending release.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So far from what I've actually seen of Vista in person, I'm not impressed and won't be upgrading. I was unable to see 'Aero' in action I guess because even though we were using the best video card we had (at work) it just wasn't good enough.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
No doubt ill be upgrading. I just dont know when. Im gonna build a new computer first.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Race Director

Microsoft just released RC2.
http://download.windowsvista.com/pre...n/download.htm

I have the last cut installed on 3 machines.
Here is the installation time for each

Specs on the machine
Intel AMT Develeopment machine
2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
160GB SATA Drive
Plextor SATA DVD drive

32 bit vista 22 minutes from time which dvd went int the drive to login
64 bit vista 27 minutes from time which dvd went int the drive to login
Longhorn 64 bit about 30 minutes. I forgot to check my watch

I cannot see aero yet as these machines have a on board graphics card and it will not run aero.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,929 Likes on 5,543 Posts
Vista sucks. So far I have seen absolutely no reason to upgrade from XP. It has a pretty GUI. Yeah I want to get a core duo and high-end video card just so I can see pretty colors and effects. Please. If I ever get it - it will be 5+ years down the road, I am guessing.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by srika
Vista sucks. So far I have seen absolutely no reason to upgrade from XP. It has a pretty GUI. Yeah I want to get a core duo and high-end video card just so I can see pretty colors and effects. Please. If I ever get it - it will be 5+ years down the road, I am guessing.
Have you played with the security features.

Some of it is a pain in the ass but it will be a much more secure OS.

We have a virus lab at the office (Completly isolated from the rest of the network) and the at this time the viruses will not even install on the machine. Again I am sure this will change with time when the hackers have time to play but for the near future you will not have to worry about viruses or spyware.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

I have no problems with security on XP.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
My company never went to XP, we're still on 2000 and are skipping XP while piloting Vista right now to deploy across the enterprise pending release.
Planning to use an O/S that hasn't even had a large test environment is a DUMB move. Your IT dept is begging for trouble.

This is almost as dumb as suporting an O/S that even the comany who made it doesn't even support anymore (windows 2000). Microsft stop releasing W2K updates a LONG time ago.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

I have no problems with security on XP.
I should clarify... of course I keep up with all the updates and patches and I periodically run the best antispyware program in existence, Superantispyware (home edition). These things occurring - XP is smooth, effortless computing.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Planning to use an O/S that hasn't even had a large test environment is a DUMB move. Your IT dept is begging for trouble.

This is almost as dumb as suporting an O/S that even the comany who made it doesn't even support anymore (windows 2000). Microsft stop releasing W2K updates a LONG time ago.
I have to agree on this one. If there's one thing I hate is running software that isn't supported anymore. It also depends on the software though, but an OS, that's just asking for trouble.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Race Director

I should clarify... of course I keep up with all the updates and patches and I periodically run the best antispyware program in existence, Superantispyware (home edition). These things occurring - XP is smooth, effortless computing.
Then you are one of the few, the proud, the smart.
Most people are DFUEs and haven't the first clue about security and have antivirus, anitspypware software that hasn't updated for a year or more.

I am not planing on upgrading my home machine for a while (and I don't even have to pay for the OS) but I will have a few work machines running it as soon as they release the RTM version permenantly, they are currently running the weekly builds that I get for testing purposes. I am one of the people that drive our IT department crazy.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Race Director

They still supply patches for w2k (They have to for the EU), they stopped NT4
See this for MS06-046
Old 10-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

They still supply patches for w2k (They have to for the EU), they stopped NT4
See this for MS06-046
thanks that's what I thought but I wasnt 100% sure.

I am one of the people that drive our IT department crazy.
me too, lol.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
dumber than a box of hair

Microsft stop releasing W2K updates a LONG time ago.
Er, not quite.

Direct from the MS "Windows 2000 Trasitions to Extended Support" web site (http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...edsupport.mspx):

"On June 30, 2005, the Windows 2000 product family enters the Extended Support phase, which continues for at least 5 years through June 2010.

"Microsoft offers a minimum of 10 years' support (5 years Mainstream plus 5 years Extended) for business and developer products.

"Microsoft is not ending support for Windows 2000. During the Extended Support phase, Microsoft continues to provide security hot fixes and paid support but no longer provides complimentary support options, design change requests, and non-security hotfixes."
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

For the holidays: Vista upgrade coupons

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- People who buy certain Windows personal computers this holiday season will be offered free or heavily discounted coupons to upgrade to Microsoft Corp.'s new operating system, Windows Vista, under a program designed to spur sales despite Vista's delay, Microsoft says.

Vista is currently scheduled to be released to consumers sometime in January, after numerous delays that forced the Redmond, Washington, software maker to push the launch date beyond the holiday season. It's also scheduled to be released to big business clients in November, although exact launch dates for both versions haven't been made public.

The coupon program begins Thursday and runs through mid-March, Microsoft said Tuesday. Particulars of the deal will vary depending on the computer maker and retailer.

Among the plans by larger computer manufacturers:

Hewlett-Packard Co. spokeswoman Tiffany Smith said people in North America who buy certain HP Pavilion, Compaq Presario and HP Digital Entertainment Center computers equipped with Windows XP, Microsoft's current version, can upgrade to Vista for free. There may be shipping and handling fees, depending on the retailer.

Gateway Inc. will offer free upgrades for people who buy Vista-capable computers directly from the company. Gateway spokeswoman Kelly Odle said shipping charges or duplication fees may be charged people who buy Gateway computers through other retailers.

Dell Inc. spokesman Bob Kaufman said buyers of Vista-capable Dell computers running Windows XP Home Edition will be able to buy Windows Vista Home Basic at the discounted price of $45, plus shipping and handling charges. Buyers of computers running Windows XP Media Center or Windows XP Professional will only have to pay shipping and handling to get a comparable Vista version, he said.

Mike Sievert, corporate vice president for Windows marketing at Microsoft, wouldn't disclose the financial terms reached with the computer makers.

Microsoft estimated it would have to defer about $1.5 billion in revenue from its fiscal second quarter, which ends December 31, to its fiscal third quarter ending March 31 because of the promotion. But the company said it would have no impact on its overall fiscal 2007 results.

In its last earnings report, the company forecast revenue of between $49.7 billion and $50.7 billion for the full 2007 fiscal year ending in June. Microsoft reports fiscal first quarter earnings on Thursday.

Matt Rosoff, an analyst with independent researchers Directions on Microsoft, said Microsoft's revenue deferral estimate struck him as high. "They're assuming a lot of coupons will be given out," he said, adding that he's not sure how many computer buyers will be willing to go through the process of upgrading to Vista.

Sievert said it was hard to say how many people will actually install Vista on a new Windows XP computer, even if Vista is available for free.

"What we wanted to do was make it available," he said.

Microsoft and computer makers have offered similar deals in the past to try to lure people to upgrade.

The cost to upgrade or buy a new version of Vista at full retail price will range from $99.95 to $399, depending on the version.

Microsoft said it also is backing a similar program for people who buy computers that come pre-loaded with the current version of its business software, Office 2003, and want to upgrade.

The new version of the software suite, Office 2007, is due out to consumers in January as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:48 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
well ive been running rc2 since it came out and i could sit here and rant about how much beter than xp it is but ill just say dont knock it till youve used it, i did the same thing and i was surprise how less troublesome than xp it was and how much better my games run, but maybbe i got lucky couse i hear alot of people having issues but hey diff hardware diff outcome untill its finished. my 2 cents. oh and the gui is SOOO much better i would upgrade just becouse of that lol xps sucked and i got bored all the unprofetional looking windowblinds.
and yes there is bugs but stupid little ones that dont impact the integrity of the os. and also if it seems buggy dont take it at face value, FIX IT just becouse microsft hasnt done anything doent meen u cant do a little tweakage to make it runn better on ur t3h comp. <end rant>

Last edited by orgnlprankster7; 10-25-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by orgnlprankster7
well ive been running rc2 since it came out and i could sit here and rant about how much beter than xp it is but ill just say dont knock it till youve used it, i did the same thing and i was surprise how less troublesome than xp it was and how much better my games run, but maybbe i got lucky couse i hear alot of people having issues but hey diff hardware diff outcome untill its finished. my 2 cents. oh and the gui is SOOO much better i would upgrade just becouse of that lol xps sucked and i got bored all the unprofetional looking windowblinds.
and yes there is bugs but stupid little ones that dont impact the integrity of the os. and also if it seems buggy dont take it at face value, FIX IT just becouse microsft hasnt done anything doent meen u cant do a little tweakage to make it runn better on ur t3h comp. <end rant="">
I know. I like the interface much better than XP, I just find the start menu annoying. So I use the classic menu.
I have been using it since April and the pre beta releases, and I reported a few bugs to them(one of them major), all of which were fixed with nice emails of thanks from the developers.

The major bug was a bitch to reproduce, but I did it and sent them all the info with the exact steps to reproduce and when the next build came out they had incorperated the fix into it for me to test.
</end>