Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Windows Home Server - You should consider it.. (pics)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,500 Likes on 6,365 Posts
Some sorf of funny WHS videos.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jRXuT_LqF_g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jRXuT_LqF_g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29f0XzaRAmA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29f0XzaRAmA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AikmxQ6SL8k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AikmxQ6SL8k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Billiam
I still don't see how (following Micorosoft's recommendations) WHS can provide backups that are any more reliable than just using an external drive. That's my only real bitch, although I obviously feel it's a significant one. If you take into account, the convenience of how the backups are made, along with how it handles backing up multiple machines and the list of other things it offers, then WHS is indeed a tempting product for most people.
This video explains how WHS does file duplication compared to RAID.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rwAYBuDd59g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rwAYBuDd59g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
This video explains how WHS does file duplication compared to RAID.
OK, for the target market for this product, that is indeed quite cool.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm.. question that I'm stumped on, I use a finger print reader @ home to login to my Vista Ultimate machine, when I use RDP through WHS Web I get this:

I don't see a place for me to type in my password
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Obvious question: What do you get when you click the Switch User button?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Billiam
^^Obvious question: What do you get when you click the Switch User button?

I tried that earlier, and the RDP disconnected, so I figured it didn't work, I just tried it again.. typed my password..

thank you, i'm a tard. I guess it was just a fluke when it shut off RDP earlier when I clicked switch user
Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, been waiting on the HP.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Does it also back up the operating system? Does it basically take an image of the pc's or only the actual user files on it? Can it be used to restore a crashed pc? It sounds like it can from what I've read on here but just want to make sure.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Rock2534
Does it also back up the operating system? Does it basically take an image of the pc's or only the actual user files on it? Can it be used to restore a crashed pc? It sounds like it can from what I've read on here but just want to make sure.
It makes a copy of the entire system, if your system fails/crashes/etc, you put in the Restore CD [it comes with one], that boots the PC up and looks for the server, then it restores your last backup

You can also browse the backup and restore individual files
Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by used fleshlight
It makes a copy of the entire system, if your system fails/crashes/etc, you put in the Restore CD [it comes with one], that boots the PC up and looks for the server, then it restores your last backup

You can also browse the backup and restore individual files
Very cool. Currently I am just backing up files to an ext drive and periodically take a ghost image and store in on the second int drive in the main pc. Only pain is I have XP home on the pc and vista premium on the laptop so I would not be able to remote desktop to them without upgrading the OS' on both of them.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Rock2534
Very cool. Currently I am just backing up files to an ext drive and periodically take a ghost image and store in on the second int drive in the main pc. Only pain is I have XP home on the pc and vista premium on the laptop so I would not be able to remote desktop to them without upgrading the OS' on both of them.

True, the upgrade from premium to ultimate ran me about $150; I heard there are ways of making it work though, I haven't tried any of them because I already upgraded my PC to Ultimate [Dreamscene ftw!]
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I just got done exchanging the hard drive in the macbook going from an 80gb to a 160gb. I used both time machine and WHS to restore both of their respective OSes and everything went pretty smoothly. I popped out the old 80gb drive using the great new tools I got today and put in the new 160gb and booted from the leopard install dvd. I chose restore from backup but I ran into a problem when choosing which backup to restore from. It seems that since I had first used the external drive as a time machine for my Hackint0sh PC and then used it as the TM for the Macbook when it did the first full backup of my Hackint0sh it kept that as the only available backup on the external drive that I could restore from. After unplugging the drive from my Hackint0sh and using it as a TM device in the macbook when it saw the macbook it didn't see it as a differenct mac than my Hackint0sh and therefore it didn't do a full backup of the macbook it just saved all the files that where different betwen the two computers which must've been many. Anyways when I tried to restore the macbook the only option to restore was the Hackint0sh OS and I wasn't gonna restore that to an original macbook. So I took out the new 160gb drive and stuck back in the old 80gb drive booted to it and then reformatted the external drive deleting the Hackint0sh TM files and set it up as a TM device again and did a full backup of the macbook. Then I went to the install HD process again and booted up to the leopard DVD, formatted the new drive and chose the macbook restore files from the TM and everything restored fine. I booted to the new 160gb HD with all the files from the old 80gb HD on it and then went and set up boot camp again since TM doesn't save boot camp partitions. I set it up with a 32gb partition and stuck in the WHS restore cd instead of the Vista or XP install cd apple asks you to insert. I rebooted to the WHS restore cd and chose the newest backup from the previous Vista install on the macbook from the list and it restored over the network to the 32gb bootcamp partition with no problems.

I'm just surprised that everything went as well as I planned it. But I did learn one thing and that is that with TM you can only restore from a full backup and not from one of the hourly or daily backups so it seems like you've got more worked planned out for you if you want to restore from a backup taken after the full backup. I also didn't see a way to manually do a full backup with TM does anyone know how? With WHS you can restore from any backup made even though it doesn't make hourly backups it does make daily.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Quick question, can you remotely turn on one of the PC's if its wireless or does it have to be physically connected to the router?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Only if the wireless card supports WOL; never tried it though - but that would mean the system would have to keep the wireless card powered at all times
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

This is classic microsoft!

They produce this great home networking that does not work with the home operating systems
Old 02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Only if the wireless card supports WOL; never tried it though - but that would mean the system would have to keep the wireless card powered at all times
Ok, just got my trial cd in the mail. I took your recommendation and read up more on it, and it seems pretty sweet. Hopefully it'l work out for my network
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

It is definately recommended for the initial backup that you go hardwire ethernet; the amount of data to push over wireless will take for-fricking-ever, I would run an ethernet cable temporarily [or move the computer] to the router/switch so it can do the full backup via ethernet; the subsequent backups will be fine over wifi because they are incrementals.. but ehh initial backup over wifi = dayzzzz!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm going to pick up the EX475 as soon as my employee discount is better.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Ok so i've just installed it, but having connection issues trying to access the web. Its stating that it cant find my router, but its working because i'm connecting to it wirelessly. Has anyone else had this problem before?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Sanest Florida Man

You connected the WHS with a wired connection right? What kindof router do you have, does it support UPnP (Universal Plug n Play)?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Advanced

yeah its connected directly to the router. I have a belkin, and I verified that UPnP was enabled on the router, but no luck yet. I'm trying to find the compatibility list on microsoft website to see if it supports my router. It should though because its fairly new
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

what do you mean by connection issues trying to access the web? can you explain more?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I recently bought a new linksys router and everytime my PS3 would go online the wireless would die.. there was a major bug w/ the code for uPnP and the firmware upgrade fixed everything - check and see if belkin has any firmware updates out there... WHS works fine on my linksys now that it's upgraded, didn't have to change anything..
Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Advanced

what do you mean by connection issues trying to access the web? can you explain more?
Ok from the Server console when you click "Settings" then "Remote Access" the first option is Web Site connectivity which is "off" by default. Once I turn it own, then under it where "Router" is the status is "not configured". When I hit "Setup" from that window, its not finding the router ip, and I cant even hit the button for "Configure Router" Verified that UPnP is on numerous times.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Advanced

I recently bought a new linksys router and everytime my PS3 would go online the wireless would die.. there was a major bug w/ the code for uPnP and the firmware upgrade fixed everything - check and see if belkin has any firmware updates out there... WHS works fine on my linksys now that it's upgraded, didn't have to change anything..

According to the router, I have the latest version of the firmware. I was thinking about resetting the router to see if it would do anything. User accounts are created on the server, but since its not recognizing the router, then none of the other computers are able to connect to it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Sanest Florida Man

So you're connected to it wirelessly but you're computer isn't on the list under "computers and backups"? you do have to install the connector software on every PC you want backed up, have you done that? can you go to the computers and backup tab and if a PC is listed select that pc and choose backup now on the toolbar or by right clicking on the desired PC. Does that work? The inability to remote access shouldn't prevent you from backing up. Can you see your server on the network by going to network places in XP and look under workgroup or by clicking network from the start menu in VISTA. There should be at least 2 different server icons 3 if you've turned on media sharing.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

You cannot put the WHS on a wireless connection, I don't even think it will work [it's one of the big no-no's listed in guide/info for WHS]
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Advanced

You cannot put the WHS on a wireless connection, I don't even think it will work [it's one of the big no-no's listed in guide/info for WHS]
Thats understandable, but it should still recognize that the router is directly connected to it, even if the wireless is turned on/off?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Right.. wifi on/off should not matter; I thought you had said the WHS server was connected via wifi, not ethernet

You might need to just config the router manually, maybe WHS cannot auto configure that one or something..
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Right.. wifi on/off should not matter; I thought you had said the WHS server was connected via wifi, not ethernet

You might need to just config the router manually, maybe WHS cannot auto configure that one or something..

Yeah i'll probably do that when i get home today. Hopefully it'll be up and running by this evening. It'll suck to have the eval software and not be able to get it running, lol. Thanks for ur help tho
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Ok finally figured it out, apparently WHS doesnt load the correct NIC drivers, so I had to download them and reinstall it. After that I was able to get it up and on the internet. Funny thing now is when I try to setup the remote access, it hangs on the part "configuring router" and basically blocks all outbound traffic. Anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by TSXtaci
Ok finally figured it out, apparently WHS doesnt load the correct NIC drivers, so I had to download them and reinstall it. After that I was able to get it up and on the internet. Funny thing now is when I try to setup the remote access, it hangs on the part "configuring router" and basically blocks all outbound traffic. Anyone else ever had this happen to them?
So all your other PC can't get on the internet while WHS is configuring the router?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Sanest Florida Man

So all your other PC can't get on the internet while WHS is configuring the router?
you can just open the ports on your router if your having problems. it should just be port 443 and port 80
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Advanced

you can just open the ports on your router if your having problems. it should just be port 443 and port 80

I manually configured those ports open already, but it just seems like when WHS tries to configure it automatically it always hangs. Now being that I configured it manually, how would I setup the remote web access, like if i was at work? Also when WHS is configuring my router, I cant get to the router config page. Once I shut down WHS then everything works fine again.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Well if your router already configured then you shouldn't need WHS to try ton cinfigure it for you. so just move to the next section domain name and click configue and pick what DNS you want. Or is that section greyed out cause it thinks you haven't configured your router yet?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Well if your router already configured then you shouldn't need WHS to try ton cinfigure it for you. so just move to the next section domain name and click configue and pick what DNS you want. Or is that section greyed out cause it thinks you haven't configured your router yet?

YUP that section is greyed out. Thats why I'm trying to let it configure itself. I figured if u configure it manually, then u should be able to configure the DNS, but it looks like it wants to do the configuration, and theres no bypassing it. I'm checking on microsofts forums for possible solutions
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by TSXtaci
YUP that section is greyed out. Thats why I'm trying to let it configure itself. I figured if u configure it manually, then u should be able to configure the DNS, but it looks like it wants to do the configuration, and theres no bypassing it. I'm checking on microsofts forums for possible solutions

HP forwarded the following list of routers it has tested for its Windows Home Server product, the MediaSmart Server. Specifically, these routers are known to work correctly with the Remote Access Wizard in the product, which can auto-configure your home network's router to allow for remote access.

Here are the top ten routers that HP recommends:

D-Link DGL-41000 GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit

D-Link DGL-43000 GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit

D-Link DIR-655 Wireless Xtreme N Gigabit

D-Link EBR-2310 Ethernet Broadband

D-Link WBR-131 0 Wireless-G

Linksys WRT1500N Wireless-N Broadband

Linksys WRT54G3G-ST Wireless-G for Mobile Broadband

Linksys WRT54GC Compact Wireless-G Broadband

NETGEAR WPN824NA RangeMax Wireless Router

Trendnet TEW-631BRP Wireless N Draft

During this testing, HP has also found some routers that tend to fail both the automatic and manual remote access configuration with the HP MediaSmart Server. Here are the bottom six routers that HP does not recommend:

Linksys WRT330N Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming

Microsoft MN-500 Broadband Networking Wireless Base

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station

Linksys WRT55AG Wireless 4-Port

Qwest Actiontec m1000 DSSL

USRobotics USR8001 DSL//Cable w/Print Server
You don't have one of the last 6 routers do you?