Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Steve Jobs: "I'm going to destroy Android"

Old 10-22-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
They are starting to. They have widgets in the notification center.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder what creative name they'll come up with for widgets, and then we'll see the white background video with the designers telling about their newest innovation.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:19 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I really think the ease-of-use argument has gone out the door over the last 2 years.
I dont. I just came home from a wedding and two at my table were going on how they just switched to the iPhone from android phones...how they resisted the bandwagon...and now they regret not doing it sooner. That the iPhone was easier and more responsive to use than their droid phones.

They were in awe of how much better of a product their new iPhones were compared to their android phones.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:53 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA

A bit dramatic, but there's a bit of truth there. Instead of having to purchase a $30 app for it, Android has TBT GPS. Perhaps we should start evaluating cost of app purchases into the equation, because then Android would start pulling away. Most of the apps I have purchased would be free if I switched.
Jailbreak FTW.....
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
to messages #84 and 83, i couldn't agree with you more,

#83, my best friend does roots for droids, why? cause everyone is getting them beyond cheap and wants to do something with them, guess what phone he has in his pocket? An Iphone

#84 100% correct, jailbreak will eliminate any issue you have with the iphone, Everyday I unlock and jailbreak iphones, itouches, etc.

i was completly agaisnt the iphone when it came out and swore up and down that my windows phones were the best, I now cant believe that I ever said that, People think the IOS is so locked and not friendly, Give me 5minutes with anyone and an iphone i will show you how it is,

Since apple has came out it has been said its a personal piece of you, Who the fuck Cares that Steve copied some ideas, He made them 80,000,000 times better.

Look at the lawsuits going on with your android devices and their processors, how do you think all these phones are out right now, look at your samsung devices for instance

Now the security video in place, think about this, JAILBREAK AND ANDROID MARKET, hmmmmmmm seem awfully similiar if you ask me, WTF do you think it is, android market came out after the jailbreak,
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Ohh I had a samsung memoir that I thought was amazing till I touched the Iphone for the first time
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
It makes you wonder if/when iOS will start using widgets. I think they eventually have to. Then the line between these phones will become ever less visable.
You mean like when they started using a drop down notification bar just like Androids?

I mean like when they invented the drop down notification bar?

Originally Posted by tommystyle86
Ohh I had a samsung memoir that I thought was amazing till I touched the Iphone for the first time
Did it touch you back?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:20 PM
The Third Ball

I'd also like to point out that all the apple haters and blind ignorant comment makers coming crawling out the woodworks with their posts before ANY of the apple fanboys ever really say anything. I'm just curious as to why that is...because I guess they are too blind to see they are even worse than of us who happen to like our products and get excited about new ones.

It really becomes a pot>kettle>black situation

And I'm not even going to go through each and every one of Yumcha's posts and cite all the garbage he has attempted to pass off. But I will say for someone who trying to say apple sells over priced products that are no better than the competition at this point...Lets tell a look at your Sony fanboyism...overpriced products that are SUBPAR to any of the competition. I haven't forgotten sonys first and failed attempt at smart phones...how much did those cost again??? How about their shitty new tablets that feel cheap and aren't very responsive? Whats the price on those?

And funny thing is....Steve Jobs used to idolize Sony and how their products and inner-workings...
Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I haven't forgotten sonys first and failed attempt at smart phones...how much did those cost again???
Are you referring to the P series? Those were rather popular overseas and on contract were not expensive. However, they were insanely priced when buying off contract here in the US. Ive owned a P800 as well as a P990i (still have it actually) and they were excellent phones. I spent ~$250 for a used P800 and a new P990i set me back just under $500 back in '06, which was a deal since the MSRP was around $800 here in the states IIRC.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
They are starting to. They have widgets in the notification center.
I do admit, those widgets are pretty cool, but to go further, they would have to almost abandon the OS format that has been so successful for them.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:15 PM
My Garage

I dont. I just came home from a wedding and two at my table were going on how they just switched to the iPhone from android phones...how they resisted the bandwagon...and now they regret not doing it sooner. That the iPhone was easier and more responsive to use than their droid phones.

They were in awe of how much better of a product their new iPhones were compared to their android phones.
I do also feel like there are a lot of people who just blindly go to iOS and follow the masses without realizing there is a very good and arguably better OS out there. All they do is praise their iPhone and assume the rest is garbage.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,855 Likes on 14,003 Posts
I'd also like to point out that all the apple haters and blind ignorant comment makers coming crawling out the woodworks with their posts before ANY of the apple fanboys ever really say anything. I'm just curious as to why that is...because I guess they are too blind to see they are even worse than of us who happen to like our products and get excited about new ones.

It really becomes a pot>kettle>black situation

And I'm not even going to go through each and every one of Yumcha's posts and cite all the garbage he has attempted to pass off. But I will say for someone who trying to say apple sells over priced products that are no better than the competition at this point...Lets tell a look at your Sony fanboyism...overpriced products that are SUBPAR to any of the competition. I haven't forgotten sonys first and failed attempt at smart phones...how much did those cost again??? How about their shitty new tablets that feel cheap and aren't very responsive? Whats the price on those?

And funny thing is....Steve Jobs used to idolize Sony and how their products and inner-workings...
Dave, goodness knows I appreciate what you bring to many threads that you participate in and the stuff you know from working the film industry. Top notch...

But, let me be clear on one thing: Although I make no attempt to hide my preference for Sony products, I do not go around spouting how "superior" they are to the competition. I am not deluded enough to think that Sony does not have their flaws and I have never made any excuses for them to the point that I'm having an internet debate with others in a multiple-page thread that in the end, proves nothing about Sony other than (sorry to broad-brush the Apple crowd), Sony rules and you all suck.

So, I have NEVER done that. Nice try.

Apple users? They do it all the time. And here's one more thing to think about: If I'm going around spouting that much about Sony, do you find it odd I don't do that for other products I own (i.e. Infiniti, Bandai, etc.)? It's more my over-the-top silliness that I do to mock what I think is over-the-top worship of a well-marketed product (Apple). That is all.

But, let's take the fanboi angle for argument sakes anyhow: If you want to think Sony is overpriced, by all means...I would like to consider myself a prudent shopper and from the Sony products that I do own, I have never been in a situation where the product I bought was significantly MORE than the closest competition. I am not blinded enough to go buy by DEFAULT a Sony if I feel I can get a good alternative for a better price (if it occurs).

Guess what? I don't have a Sony Ericsson phone at the moment. And no, I did not go LINE up overnight for it. And never will. Never will for ANY Sony product.

And on pricing, in the smartphone debate of Android/iOS devices, well, Apple is priced differently. Guess what, I know because I deal with the question of getting iPhones corporately in the past and can never get a deal on them. Apple clearly is a multiple more than the competition. But, can you say that about Sony? I certainly can't. While I don't own any of their TVs, I have not noted Sony LCDs to be a multiple factor MORE than the closest competitor (i.e. Sharp, Samsung)...Computers, same thing. Sony has their cheap machines as well as their high-end machines but again, competitive in pricing. I do not see overpricing anywhere.

Now, I'm sorry for daring to insulting Apple. I'd offer to let you slap me if you were here.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
Jailbreak FTW.....
I was pointing out how someone said you have to root Android to do anything, and most people won't. It's a pretty fair comparison to jailbreaking, even though JB (especially via the PDF exploit) was easier than booting a computer. People are too scared that they'll void their warranty.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
The Third Ball

Dave, goodness knows I appreciate what you bring to many threads that you participate in and the stuff you know from working the film industry. Top notch...

But, let me be clear on one thing: Although I make no attempt to hide my preference for Sony products, I do not go around spouting how "superior" they are to the competition. I am not deluded enough to think that Sony does not have their flaws and I have never made any excuses for them to the point that I'm having an internet debate with others in a multiple-page thread that in the end, proves nothing about Sony other than (sorry to broad-brush the Apple crowd), Sony rules and you all suck.

Apple users? They do it all the time. And here's one more thing to think about: If I'm going around spouting that much about Sony, do you find it odd I don't do that for other products I own (i.e. Infiniti, Bandai, etc.)? It's more my over-the-top silliness that I do to mock what I think is over-the-top worship of a well-marketed product (Apple). That is all.

But, let's take the fanboi angle for argument sakes anyhow: If you want to think Sony is overpriced, by all means...I would like to consider myself a prudent shopper and from the Sony products that I do own, I have never been in a situation where the product I bought was significantly MORE than the closest competition. I am not blinded enough to go buy by DEFAULT a Sony if I feel I can get a good alternative for a better price (if it occurs).

Guess what? I don't have a Sony Ericsson phone at the moment. And no, I did not go LINE up overnight for it. And never will. Never will for ANY Sony product.

And on pricing, in the smartphone debate of Android/iOS devices, well, Apple is priced differently. Guess what, I know because I deal with the question of getting iPhones corporately in the past and can never get a deal on them. Apple clearly is a multiple more than the competition. But, can you say that about Sony? I certainly can't. While I don't own any of their TVs, I have not noted Sony LCDs to be a multiple factor MORE than the closest competitor (i.e. Sharp, Samsung)...Computers, same thing. Sony has their cheap machines as well as their high-end machines but again, competitive in pricing. I do not see overpricing anywhere.

Now, I'm sorry for daring to insulting Apple. I'd offer to let you slap me if you were here.
Henry...I consider us friends..even if its the e-variety...but the anti apple schtick does get old, even when most of is an attempt at humor.

We know you don't love them, we get it. I don't care about that. Everyone is free to like whatever the hell they want, and hate what they want...you posting about it in every thread with an apple or tech related title just gets obnoxious. Its like you run with a joke and then kill it with a blunt object. Same goes for the spiel between you and scottman and whomever else.

Fact is...feel free to dislike them. I have no problem with that.

A lot of people hate on apple...for many reasons...chief among them is that they are popular and people just can't stand pop culture...they HAVE to be "different"...

Problem is they don't realize how much they are all riding a different bandwagon...and just part of the I hate popular shit crowd. Same shit different song to dance to.
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (10-23-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A lot of people hate on apple...for many reasons...chief among them is that they are popular and people just can't stand pop culture...they HAVE to be "different"...

You hit the nail on the head. I find it interesting that most people who I interact with that have this hate for Apple products, don't necessarily talk about the products themselves. They hate the company. They hate Steve Jobs (as evidenced by this thread). They hate Apple consumers, a.k.a. "the losers that line up to buy an Iphone." They hate the people that work at the stores. They hate the pricing. They hate the "image" that Apple stands for (whatever that is, I personally don't know).

I don't think I'd be considered an Apple fanboy; I've never owned an Apple phone or computer. But as a tech fan / gadget guy, I just can't help but appreciate Apple products for what they are: innovative, in some cases groundbreaking, all in all solid devices. I guess I just don't understand how other tech guys don't see that, and/or why they would so staunchly attack Apple.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Apple users? They do it all the time.
I have never seen anyone, on this website, attack any particular brand as vehemently as you attack Apple. Check the Android thread... to be honest, I don't care enough to look at every single post, but from what I have seen, I haven't noticed any Apple loyalists, or anyone for that matter, attacking Android. Same with the HP Touchpad thread, I haven't seen anything as far as people talking trash about HP or webOS. But I've seen you chime in on more than one Apple related thread with sarcastic and/or negative comments, which is why I took issue with you earlier in this thread.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shadzilla
But I've seen you chime in on more than one Apple related thread with sarcastic and/or negative comments, which is why I took issue with you earlier in this thread.
Sorry, I should edit this: your shit-talking is not reserved for Apple related threads, as I just saw this in the Android thread:

You really want to be inferior like the rest of us? Cuz, all us Android users are clearly, retarded.

I know I am. I failed pre-school.
Like Sarlacc said, it gets old.

Last edited by Shadzilla; 10-24-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,500 Likes on 6,365 Posts
very old. I don't care if you want to hate on product I'd just like you to have a valid reason to do so and IMO I've never really found any of your reasons for disliking apple to be valid. maybe it's the way you word them with your unoriginal unfunny comments that I can't take you seriously. I'd like to have an adult conversation about this topic but when Yumcha gets involved it gets taken to a child-like level that makes my head hurt. I don't care if you want to be childlike when talking about robots, Aston martins, michael bay, die-cast, the bears, etc but when trying to debate a topic please try to keep it on an adult level.

Things that I think are played out on AZ in no particular order

1. Yumcha's lames jokes about apple at every chance possible
2. call paypal
3. bacon
4. waffles
5. eat before you talk
6. miz commenting on every picture in the PGT and Just Body threads

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-24-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 AM

Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I love that this became the bitch thread.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,195 Posts
I used to hate on macs until I spent a solid hour with one. I wish that they would make the finder a bit better though.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Stealing is what being a great inventor is all about. Just ask the master of both, Thomas Edison.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
very old. I don't care if you want to hate on product I'd just like you to have a valid reason to do so and IMO I've never really found any of your reasons for disliking apple to be valid. maybe it's the way you word them with your unoriginal unfunny comments that I can't take you seriously. I'd like to have an adult conversation about this topic but when Yumcha gets involved it gets taken to a child-like level that makes my head hurt. I don't care if you want to be childlike when talking about robots, Aston martins, michael bay, die-cast, the bears, etc but when trying to debate a topic please try to keep it on an adult level.

2. call paypal
3. bacon
4. waffles
5. eat before you talk

Well, isn't this the pile-on. In this thread, I made one of my "typical" snide comments in #42. The rest? I was actually trying to have a conversation.

What are you being butt-hurt about? I still don't get it. Really: Don't take it personally. I don't think slamming Apple products on a regular basis is a personal attack on you or your family.

As well, I honestly don't think any of the arguments in here have changed my mind (or others) about the Apple product. And no, I don't hate the company. I don't hate Jobs. I just again, do not feel they should have this pedestal status.

As you may or may not know, I currently have an iPhone. (Why I have one? Don't ask.) Been using it for days and will still maintain what I've said over and over (outside of my "typical" snide comments): It's not bad. It has aspects where it does better than my Android phone...but, it also has areas where it is not as good.

Does it justify lining up overnight for it? No. Does it justify paying significantly more for it? No.

Same thing I've said in this thread.

Oh look: an entire post without I-hate-Apple-snarkiness.

Last edited by Yumcha; 10-24-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

And oh: some of you think I may have failed at comedy. But, it's not for your amusement...it's for mine.

I gotta be me.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Safety Car

As you may or may not know, I currently have an iPhone. (Why I have one? Don't ask.)
So uh.... why do you have an Iphone?

Seriously though, there must be a good explanation for this!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shadzilla
So uh.... why do you have an Iphone?

Seriously though, there must be a good explanation for this!
Work.

I put it off and put it off and could not anymore...the Execs insisted I carry a workphone and voila, an iPhone.

Personally, I think it's some sort of sick joke since everyone else has a Blackberry.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA

2. call paypal
3. bacon
4. waffles
5. eat before you talk
Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Why in the heck would you still want a Blackberry? Pardon my ignorance.... it's just that everyone I know who's gone from a Blackberry to.... well, any phone but usually Android/Apple hasn't turned back. This includes personal/business use.

I dunno.... I just hate fat fingering multiple keys. Nothing really stood out to me about BBs other than the scroll ball.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Id take an iPhone over a BB any day of the week. I am forced to use a BB for work and it is the biggest piece of shit phone I have ever used.

I dont like the iPhone. I dont like the hardware, the design, the small screen....but its simplicity is good for old people. My 58 year old mother just got an iPhone and she loves it.

My sister went from a BB to an iPhone. While she hates the iPhone, shes glad it isnt the BB. She absolutely loves her Droid Bionic though, and she had the iPhone first.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
Why in the heck would you still want a Blackberry? Pardon my ignorance.... it's just that everyone I know who's gone from a Blackberry to.... well, any phone but usually Android/Apple hasn't turned back. This includes personal/business use.

I dunno.... I just hate fat fingering multiple keys. Nothing really stood out to me about BBs other than the scroll ball.
Blackberries are the standard-issued cellphone device for most peeps who need to carry a workphone here at work and in my past employments.

The fact that the device has a keyboard and the strengths of Enterprise Server make it a choice for most companies.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
iCrap, Crackdroid, Bullshitberry : they are all great.

I remember my first clamshell cell phones.. ok... those huge POS that you paid a fortune for; so let these companies compete and provide me with a better phone, which would be a merger of all 3.

iPhone's design, screen and gestures. Droids widgets and complete customization. BB security and LED status... Create that, and I'm your customer for life.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
It's all about Nokia's
Old 10-24-2011, 02:19 PM

Blackberries are the standard-issued cellphone device for most peeps who need to carry a workphone here at work and in my past employments.

The fact that the device has a keyboard and the strengths of Enterprise Server make it a choice for most companies.
That's becoming less and less true to this day as more fortune 500 companies either deployed iPhones for their companies or in the testing stages.

I also hear that the enterprise features of the iPhone are pretty good.

Do not know about android thou. Sorry.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Maybe you're the first to test for the switch.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
iCrap, Crackdroid, Bullshitberry : they are all great.

I remember my first clamshell cell phones.. ok... those huge POS that you paid a fortune for; so let these companies compete and provide me with a better phone, which would be a merger of all 3.

iPhone's design, screen and gestures. Droids widgets and complete customization. BB security and LED status... Create that, and I'm your customer for life.
The Galaxy Nexus has a pretty amazing screen, LED Status, sleek design. Might be what you're looking for.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I have a question... When was the last time a company sued Apple for IP infringement, WITHOUT prior suit provocation from Apple?

When the iPhone first came out, where were all the lawsuits against Apple? It wasn't until Android came out and the handset manufacturers got going, did you see Apple only then start to defend its IP.

Just sayin'...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
So what exactly is Apple suing other companies, namely Google (?) for? What is so patented and unique about the iPhone that it came out with before other smartphone makers?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 AM

but IIRC apple has the patent to multitouch.