Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Steve Jobs: "I'm going to destroy Android"

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
It's not untrue it just completely misses the point behind the success at apple. It's not about doing it first it's about doing it better than anyone else. Compare ease of use of Windows Mobile to iOS
fact is fact.
How is that an ignorant ass comment though?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Well, that's sometimes the case. Once someone dies, all the skeletons come out.
Angels, you mean.

Steveus is beyond criticism. He is The One. The Almighty. Gawd's SECOND Son.

Don't criticize, you heretic. Shame on you.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,280 Likes on 6,230 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
fact is fact.
How is that an ignorant ass comment though?
Give your mom a windows mobile device to use for a week without helping her and then give her an iPhone to use for a week and then ask her which one she would rather have and report back to me.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Oh, we bringin moms into this now?!

oh no you d'int...
The following users liked this post:
phee (10-22-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Give your mom a windows mobile device to use for a week without helping her and then give her an iPhone to use for a week and then ask her which one she would rather have and report back to me.
Meh, it'd be a better match-up if it were Android/iOS instead.

So, why is Android the best-selling phone O/S on the planet right now...?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
mmmmmm....

easy, apple lover.

neither. what now?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Oh, we bringin moms into this now?!

oh no you d'int...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

I really think the ease-of-use argument has gone out the door over the last 2 years.

Sure, I will give Apple a lot of credit for making a slick, easy-to-use GUI on all their products from the get go. But, thanks to competition (sorry, Steve ), the rest of the market figured out that making their GUIs user-friendly is not a bad idea...

Take any tablet, smartphone now...and to me, their touch interfaces are all "easy". The "mom" measurement is really not that lopsided for Apple anymore IMO.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I should merge this with the iPhone/iPad threads...so that we can get really good conversations.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Meh, it'd be a better match-up if it were Android/iOS instead.

So, why is Android the best-selling phone O/S on the planet right now...?
because it's on the cheapest phones. Most people get their phones for free or relatively cheap, not many pay over $100 for their phones.

I bet that if you were to look at sales of android phones that sell in the $200-$300 range of the iPhone and are on the same carriers that the iPhone outsells those phones by a lot.

But now that the 3GS is now free on contract lets see what happens.

A good match up of the two OSes is user satisfaction ratings, lets see how Android does....

SVy17.png
Old 10-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

because it's on the cheapest phones. Most people get their phones for free or relatively cheap, not many pay over $100 for their phones.

I bet that if you were to look at sales of android phones that sell in the $200-$300 range of the iPhone and are on the same carriers that the iPhone outsells those phones by a lot.

But now that the 3GS is now free on contract lets see what happens.

A good match up of the two OSes is user satisfaction ratings, lets see how Android does....

So, what's the big deal? We all know Apple sets the 1-billion dollar pricepoint for the average consumer to pay for a smartphone.

Yes, and that credit goes to Steve et al for convincing the public that they should shell out an entire year's salary for a cellphone.

Android carriers and manufacturers have figured out that the only way to cut into that market is to offer a product with similar features and deliverables for less because Apple has done a terrific job of somehow convincing the average population that it is OKAY to pay $$$$$$$ for a cellphone. Again, good job Apple...but, sorry...that does not mean it is right.

Let's also keep in mind a cheap pricepoint was how HP inadvertently created a firestorm in the market with their TouchPads in the first place when they sold for $99, remember? That was the first time the iPad's apparent invincible hold on the market was vulnerable. Guess what Amazon plans to do now with their new Kindle?

Price has nothing to do with the quality of these products, dude.

Last edited by Yumcha; 10-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
easy, apple lover.

neither. what now?
You really don't know me at all do you? I will take that comment as proof that I'm a very fair guy and I that I look at things objectively and try not to choose either side.

Makes me feel like bill o'reilly where people write him and call him a left wing liberal and then the next guy says he's a right wing nut job!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
what amazing engineering feats? MP3 player? I think not as they were 3 years late Mp3man was first HDD MP3 player? I think not as Compaq was first...Iphone? I think not as Windows mobile and phones with MP3 players and cameras were already present.

Apple is marketing and NOTHING else they sold a whole not of suckers on marketing and that was it......
I had a CD-based MP3 player around 1997 that I bought in South Korea. Whoop-de-doo. It's not about who is first, it's about HOW you do it and how it is presented to the consumer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
#1 STUNNA (10-21-2011), phee (10-22-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

So, what's the big deal? We all know Apple sets the 1-billion dollar pricepoint for the average consumer to pay for a smartphone.

Yes, and that credit goes to Steve et al for convincing the public that they should shell out an entire year's salary for a cellphone.

Android carriers and manufacturers have figured out that the only way to cut into that market is to offer a product with similar features and deliverables for less.

Hello? That's how HP inadvertently created a firestorm in the market with their TouchPads in the first place when they sold for $99, remember? That was the first time the iPad's apparent invincible hold on the market was vulnerable. Guess what Amazon plans to do now with their new Kindle?

Price has nothing to do with the quality of the products, dude.
So in no situation ever does the phrase "you get what you pay for" have any truth behind it?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

So in no situation ever does the phrase "you get what you pay for" have any truth behind it?
In the smartphone market? What truth is there...My snarks aside and having taken over the #1 role as the anti-Apple guy on AZ, I can honestly tell you that I cannot see a difference between the iPhone product and the Android product.

They each have areas they do very well and have areas they can learn from one another. Period.

Both are terrific products. But...the one strike against the iPhone: it is not worth 5 times more than the Android phone. Sorry. I cannot slice it any way. It is not worth lining up overnight for. It is not worth going around saying it is superior over anything else for. And the pricepoint does not justify any of that.

So, at the end of the day, all you have is brilliant marketing on Apple's side esp. in the smartphone wars because they have successfully convinced the market to shell out 5X times more for a comparable product.

Last edited by Yumcha; 10-21-2011 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PimpCL23 (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I also think the openness of the Android is a better 'ideal' than the way apple has done things.

Its akin to Steve Jobs opening the music industry up....it allows the market and people with great ideas to make things.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
In the smartphone market? What truth is there...My snarks aside and having taken over the #1 role as the anti-Apple guy on AZ, I can honestly tell you that I cannot see a difference between the iPhone product and the Android product.

They each have areas they do very well and have areas they can learn from one another. Period.

Both are terrific products. But...the one strike against the iPhone: it is not worth 5 times more than the Android phone. Sorry. I cannot slice it any way. It is not worth lining up overnight for. It is not worth going around saying it is superior over anything else for. And the pricepoint does not justify any of that.

So, at the end of the day, all you have is brilliant marketing on Apple's side esp. in the smartphone wars because they have successfully convinced the market to shell out 5X times more for a comparable product.
Holy shit I think I actually agree with Yumcha for once.

Except for this:

But...the one strike against the iPhone: it is not worth 5 times more than the Android phone... So, at the end of the day, all you have is brilliant marketing on Apple's side esp. in the smartphone wars because they have successfully convinced the market to shell out 5X times more for a comparable product.
Are you referring to the subsidized cost w/ 2 year contract, or the price w/out a contract? Because if you look at the subsidized costs, the Android smart phones are priced just about the same as their Apple counterparts. And when there is a difference, its nowhere near 5x. I don't know if you're just exaggerating or if you really believe that to be true.

My Droid Bionic with 32gb of storage was $299, exact same price as the 32gb Iphone 4S. W/out a contract, the Bionic is $590, Iphone is $750; more expensive, but not 5x more.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shadzilla
Holy shit I think I actually agree with Yumcha for once.

Except for this:

Are you referring to the subsidized cost w/ 2 year contract, or the price w/out a contract? Because if you look at the subsidized costs, the Android smart phones are priced just about the same as their Apple counterparts. And when there is a difference, its nowhere near 5x. I don't know if you're just exaggerating or if you really believe that to be true.

My Droid Bionic with 32gb of storage was $299, exact same price as the 32gb Iphone 4S. W/out a contract, the Bionic is $590, Iphone is $750; more expensive, but not 5x more.
Oh nice to see we agree for once. Then again, out of a billion, the odds are pretty good that one out of those is a match.

And about pricing, I'm usually always sarcastic about Apple pricing. So, my 50000X more comment was tongue in cheek.

Now, to your question on what I said on cost...Allow me to be more specific: If I signed the same term contract, I would still have to pay a couple hundred for an Apple iPhone that is the latest and greatest (i.e. 4S). For an Android, at least up here, I can get it for $50 or in some cases, FREE. My Desire was bought at the same time back when the iPhone 4 was released and everyone including their Grandmother was lining up months/years/decades/centuries in advance for.

Best Buy charged me $50 for the HTC Desire and then also gave anyone who signed the term contract a $100 gift card. So, guess what: I got PAID $50 for my smartphone.

So, back to my your question about what I was trying to say about cost: I was exaggerating. But, hope my non-sarcastic explanation on Apple's hyper-inflated costs is now better understood.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay...I was still a bit sarcastic.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't think people lined up for centuries for an iPhone.

Naw...what am I talking about. Some people waited their entire LIVES for an iPhone. Owning one is a life-changing event.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh nice to see we agree for once. Then again, out of a billion, the odds are pretty good that one out of those is a match.

And about pricing, I'm usually always sarcastic about Apple pricing. So, my 50000X more comment was tongue in cheek.

Now, to your question on what I said on cost...Allow me to be more specific: If I signed the same term contract, I would still have to pay a couple hundred for an Apple iPhone that is the latest and greatest (i.e. 4S). For an Android, at least up here, I can get it for $50 or in some cases, FREE. My Desire was bought at the same time back when the iPhone 4 was released and everyone including their Grandmother was lining up months/years/decades/centuries in advance for.

Best Buy charged me $50 for the HTC Desire and then also gave anyone who signed the term contract a $100 gift card. So, guess what: I got PAID $50 for my smartphone.

So, back to my your question about what I was trying to say about cost: I was exaggerating. But, hope my non-sarcastic explanation on Apple's hyper-inflated costs is now better understood.
I gotcha. I will agree, you don't see the "deals" with Apple products that you do with competitors. But again, as far as Apple's pricing goes, usually the latest and greatest Android phones can get pretty pricey too.

Last edited by Shadzilla; 10-21-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Hypocritical megalomaniac.
I came in here to say just that.

Just speaking hypothetically, you can have everything Apple but I don't get all the fascination over Steve Jobs. Just because he was a genius doesn't mean he deserves all the undue praise he's been given, innovations and achievements aside. I'm not implying anything but IIRC apparently Hitler was an awesome economist and political leader.... but being a genius in one or two fields doesn't exclude you from being a total fuckhead.

I'm not saying he's some psychotic mass murderer but when you compare him side by side with Bill Gates its kind of sad. Windows has a mediocre reputation and that is carried over to their former CEO's rep, meanwhile Apple has this mythical aura about its products and thus so did their CEO. I simply don't get it. I've owned iPods going back to '05 and have had an iPhone of some sort for four consecutive years now. But up until about a couple weeks ago I didn't have anything remarkable to say about Steve Jobs.

and IMHO, I think the leaking of the aforementioned quote is merely a ploy to sell more Steve Jobs biographies.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
I came in here to say just that.

Just speaking hypothetically, you can have everything Apple but I don't get all the fascination over Steve Jobs. Just because he was a genius doesn't mean he deserves all the undue praise he's been given, innovations and achievements aside. I'm not implying anything but IIRC apparently Hitler was an awesome economist and political leader.... but being a genius in one or two fields doesn't exclude you from being a total fuckhead.

I'm not saying he's some psychotic mass murderer but when you compare him side by side with Bill Gates its kind of sad. Windows has a mediocre reputation and that is carried over to their former CEO's rep, meanwhile Apple has this mythical aura about its products and thus so did their CEO. I simply don't get it. I've owned iPods going back to '05 and have had an iPhone of some sort for four consecutive years now. But up until about a couple weeks ago I didn't have anything remarkable to say about Steve Jobs.

and IMHO, I think the leaking of the aforementioned quote is merely a ploy to sell more Steve Jobs biographies.
You're so dead. You do know that, right?

Costco: run.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts

This is true, but how much it is true we'll never know, as I compare Apple more like the other controlled-price, non-discountable brands out there.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
what amazing engineering feats? MP3 player? I think not as they were 3 years late Mp3man was first HDD MP3 player? I think not as Compaq was first...Iphone? I think not as Windows mobile and phones with MP3 players and cameras were already present.

Apple is marketing and NOTHING else they sold a whole not of suckers on marketing and that was it......
I would say its not great engineering feats he had. But its the fact that engineers dont know how to "design" things for the average user and make it so simplistic and easy to use. He was an innovator, took something and made it better. Trust me I'm not a fan of the iPhone, anymore. I was when it came out at first, I had one. It was better than any phone on the market. Not a single phone came close, in my mind. Today is not the case. But without Jobs, we'd still have phones that looked like those old windows mobile phones Ohh yea and there would be no Android...

For people that want smartphones that arent technically inclined, like my mom lol, iPhone is better than any android phone, the question whether they should even have a smartphone is another question.

Mainly I'm glad Jobs did what he did, because without him I wouldnt have an awesome android phone.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i thought i was the #1 hater! ive just been quiet this whole time. didnt feel like being an e-thug today. i do enough thuggin' in real life in this fuckin neighborhood i live in

that being said... i fixed a computer for a client and he didnt have any cash on him so he gave me this big ass iPod touch.... but it says iPad on the back. trying to sell it hahahahhahahaha
Old 10-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I don't know of any $80 android phone that comes with a 320+ppi IPS screen, 64gb rom, 1080p video capture with image stabilization, 802.11n, bluetooth 4.0 and a dual core processor. If you do go ahead and buy it but you won't find it not even close to that.

Worth and value is different from person to person, to me the insanely good screen and camera on the iPhone 4 and 32GB of builtin ROM were worth the money to me. The ability to upgrade my phone as soon as an update is available and not waiting six months or wondering if I'll ever get an update at all, not having to worry about background tasks or running a task manager, not having my phone come with 3rd party crapware installed that I can't uninstall without taking drastic measures, being able to run the stock OS without some shitty UI skin on top that I can't get rid of and that provides no meaningful purpose besides allowing the OEM to differentiate itself from other OEMs, these are all things that I don't have to worry about.

You guys that use android that really love it are tech saavy power users that love to root your phone and install unofficial builds of android in order to fix many of androids flaws. I think you don't realize that most normal people don't want to do this, they dont' want to worry about these things at all. Things that are easy for you and me are complex for them. You guys sound like Linux users (technically you are) where they claim Linux is so great, so much better than Mac and Windows for all these reason and they're all reasons the normal people couldn't give two shits about.

Like I said before it's not about doing it first it's about doing it better and making it easier for normal people. Android is complex and iOS is simpler most people want simpler which is why most people drive automatic transmissions and you guys drive manuals.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Sanest Florida Man

oh and then there's this, I don't have to worry about this either....

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsbOxT268bc?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><pa ram name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsbOxT268bc?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't know of any $80 android phone that comes with a 320+ppi IPS screen, 64gb rom, 1080p video capture with image stabilization, 802.11n, bluetooth 4.0 and a dual core processor. If you do go ahead and buy it but you won't find it not even close to that.

Worth and value is different from person to person, to me the insanely good screen and camera on the iPhone 4 and 32GB of builtin ROM were worth the money to me. The ability to upgrade my phone as soon as an update is available and not waiting six months or wondering if I'll ever get an update at all, not having to worry about background tasks or running a task manager, not having my phone come with 3rd party crapware installed that I can't uninstall without taking drastic measures, being able to run the stock OS without some shitty UI skin on top that I can't get rid of and that provides no meaningful purpose besides allowing the OEM to differentiate itself from other OEMs, these are all things that I don't have to worry about.

You guys that use android that really love it are tech saavy power users that love to root your phone and install unofficial builds of android in order to fix many of androids flaws. I think you don't realize that most normal people don't want to do this, they dont' want to worry about these things at all. Things that are easy for you and me are complex for them. You guys sound like Linux users (technically you are) where they claim Linux is so great, so much better than Mac and Windows for all these reason and they're all reasons the normal people couldn't give two shits about.

Like I said before it's not about doing it first it's about doing it better and making it easier for normal people. Android is complex and iOS is simpler most people want simpler which is why most people drive automatic transmissions and you guys drive manuals.
Read my post again, STUNNA. Sorry, but your argument is exactly what makes me get so sarcastic when trying to have a conversation with an Appleist. Firstly, did you note how I mentioned there aspects the 4 does better than an Android device and vice versa...?

But, clearly...that's not the case for Appleists because their product is superior in every way, isn't it?

I will say this however, I bought my phone without caring about the video-capture feature you said and let's say it was an even playing field, it did not justify the extra $200+ I had to ante up for something I know I barely use as does the majority of the population. How often do you go video-recording something and want it in glorious 1080p? But, let's just say for the sake of argument that you do. Then, again...back to my argument earlier that yes, the Apple product has some areas where it is stronger than the competition.

You also then mention about how all Android users immediately go and customize their phones so that they can fly by themselves and cook supper for you. Sorry, wrong. Yes, I consider myself rather tech-savvy but guess what: I have not customized my Android phone and most of the "nerdy" peeps I know don't really go and customize theirs either.

But, here's the rub: Android does THIS better than Apple because it ALLOWS some flexibility...You want to customize? Go ahead. Want to use as-is? Fine too.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Apple fans are like Yankee fans to me.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

And I still have no idea what Apple iPhone zealots are talking about in regards to "shitty" Android interfaces. Objectively, they are pretty much the same.

Let me take myself out of the conversation because, clearly, I'm the hater. But, in every situation where I let someone who (is not an Apple zealot, but just happens to own the iPhone) play with my Android, they usually remark the same thing: "Wow, super-easy to use/seems similar/love the real-time display of stuff (i.e. widgets)..."

And no, I did not bribe anyone to tell them this. Tell you what, if it really matters in this debate, I'll even go up to a stranger, video-record it in my crap 720p resolution and get their comments posted in here.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM
My Garage

And I still have no idea what Apple iPhone zealots are talking about in regards to "shitty" Android interfaces. Objectively, they are pretty much the same.

Let me take myself out of the conversation because, clearly, I'm the hater. But, in every situation where I let someone who (is not an Apple zealot, but just happens to own the iPhone) play with my Android, they usually remark the same thing: "Wow, super-easy to use/seems similar/love the real-time display of stuff (i.e. widgets)..."

And no, I did not bribe anyone to tell them this. Tell you what, if it really matters in this debate, I'll even go up to a stranger, video-record it in my crap 720p resolution and get their comments posted in here.
It's pretty easy quiet down an iPhone user. I just show them my nexus one with live wallpaper and widgets on the home screen and tell them how I got sick of an OS that is just grids of apps. They don't have much response to that.

That will only improve with Ice Cream Sandwich.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

And we're really starting the iOS vs. Android security debate? That's a whole new can of worms.

Part of my life is security in IT...and I'll say this: they are BOTH equally vulnerable. PERIOD.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.neurosciencemarketing.com...us-vs-them.htm

Many variations on this experiment have been performed subsequently, and they have shown that people can develop group loyalty very quickly even in the absence of real differences. Subjects even became emotionally invested in their meaningless groups, cheering for their own group’s rewards...
Old 10-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

That link may be a repost...but, it's a good read on how brilliantly Steve Jobs built the loyalty (as we can see here with many AZers) for Apple.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
He was a dick
fixed
Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
All my friends get into this same debate crap everyday.

It's just a freaking smartphone. The specs are pretty much similar. Just go with the one you like more and don't hate on the others.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts

Instead we get a phone with 1st party crapware that I can't uninstall without drastic measures, and running an OS that has the shitty UI built in that I can't get rid of, just glaze over.

A bit dramatic, but there's a bit of truth there. Instead of having to purchase a $30 app for it, Android has TBT GPS. Perhaps we should start evaluating cost of app purchases into the equation, because then Android would start pulling away. Most of the apps I have purchased would be free if I switched.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM
My Garage

It makes you wonder if/when iOS will start using widgets. I think they eventually have to. Then the line between these phones will become ever less visable.