Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

sprint=nextel

Old 11-29-2004 | 11:09 PM
Instructor

sprint=nextel

I heard from someone.....that sprint is buying nextel sometime in 2005 anyone else hear this or just a false rumor?
Old 11-30-2004 | 01:51 AM
werd

that would be wild.

i'm sure it's just a rumor.

ask Ken but even if he knew, he wouldn't tell you haha
Old 11-30-2004 | 07:28 AM
Movin on up...

i call BS.....just my 2 cents..
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:28 AM
Race Director

How's Sprint Ready Link system working out?
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:30 AM
Drifting

wow that would create the most worthless carrier in the Us
Old 11-30-2004 | 12:45 PM
Movin on up...

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
How's Sprint Ready Link system working out?
i heard it was pretty good..well at least better then verizons for NOW....
Old 11-30-2004 | 02:23 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikeymobiles
I honestly don't think i know anyone who has the PTT feature with Verizon. From what I hear it’s slightly slower then Nextel's which is basically instantaneous.

I'm wondering if Sprint has a longer delay then Nextel and if so is it as long as Verizon's.

I'm waiting for the day when you can use this feature across networks. That'll be the shit.

Then again if everyone has the ability to do it, man that's just gonna get annoying. There will be 'beeps' everywhere.
Old 11-30-2004 | 02:26 PM
Race Director

I honestly don't think i know anyone who has the PTT feature with Verizon. From what I hear it’s slightly slower then Nextel's which is basically instantaneous.

I'm wondering if Sprint has a longer delay then Nextel and if so is it as long as Verizon's.

I'm waiting for the day when you can use this feature across networks. That'll be the shit.

Then again if everyone has the ability to do it, man that's just gonna get annoying. There will be 'beeps' everywhere.
Old 11-30-2004 | 02:40 PM
Banned

wouldnt suprise me, eventually i think there will be one GSM provider (cingular) and one CDMA provider (verizon) and then the pay per use phones like VA, etc. the more the consoladation the better the prices are getting and the better the coverage gets. I think nextel actually has pretty good coverage in the NE in some spots. this would definetely make sprint very competitive with verizon in the NE, which is verizons pride and joy.
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:15 PM
I NEED MONEY!

its a rumor!! Nextel invented direct connect...a licensing contract just expired thats why these companies just came with PTT and ready link...

I doubt nextel will ever get bought out...maybe merge but never bought out...and another thing why the **** would sprint be the one to buy them out...sprint is farther behind in technology sprint isnt even GSM...

for more information about nextel go to:

www.howardforums.com

they have all the updated info on cell phone companies...
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
its a rumor!! Nextel invented direct connect...a licensing contract just expired thats why these companies just came with PTT and ready link...

I doubt nextel will ever get bought out...maybe merge but never bought out...and another thing why the **** would sprint be the one to buy them out...sprint is farther behind in technology sprint isnt even GSM...

www.howardforums.com

if i send you 10 dollars will you go buy a clue?
Old 11-30-2004 | 04:02 PM
Movin on up...

www.howardforums.com

1. Dont belive half the junk on that website...they write so much junk ....

Between the stuff they tell me at work (verizonwireless) and the stuff they post it is so so funny...

Old 11-30-2004 | 04:03 PM
Movin on up...

No company would ever let that happen just like they dont want inter carrier pic messaging..because it takes business away from them...

if all your friends are on nextel and your on verizon either you switch to verizon or have your friends switch to nextel...

i agree it is

but it also deals with the whole network stuff..
Old 11-30-2004 | 04:35 PM
The Third Ball

well at least better then verizons for NOW....
Get your phone out of your ass... Hey, can you hear me now!

verizon verizon verizon verizonverizonverizonverizonverizonverizon

jeez shut up already, we all know you like and work for verizon. and no one cares.
Old 11-30-2004 | 04:50 PM
Pit Stop?

Actually I've seen a Sprint phone do the walkie-talkie thing with a Nextel.........

It was interesting to say the least. Apparently they use the same systems, just a code blocks it out.........remove the code and you're golden.
Old 11-30-2004 | 05:28 PM
Race Director

You guys.
Old 11-30-2004 | 10:15 PM
Instructor

so hows nextels coverage in NE compared to verizons coverage?
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:00 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by kensteele
You guys.
How is Sprint's Ready Link system working out?
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:13 PM
Banned

How is Sprint's Ready Link system working out?
readylink and ptt will eventually phase out, verizon and sprint both offer unlimited calling within their networks, so whats the point of having 2 way? you can call anyone for free as long as its verizon to verizon or sprint to sprint.
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:30 PM
Race Director

Some people like the walkie talkie idea.
Old 12-10-2004 | 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm.... Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/10/te...rint&position=

Nextel Communications is in advanced talks to merge with the Sprint Corporation, according to executives involved in the negotiations. The deal would form the third largest cellphone company in the nation, with 39 million wireless subscribers.

A deal could be reached as early as next week if the talks continue apace. In the meantime, the talks may bring to the game a third player, Verizon Wireless, which held several internal conference calls yesterday to discuss the possibility of making a run at Sprint, executives close to Verizon Wireless said.

Whatever the outcome, the industry appears ready to shrink once again, just six weeks after Cingular's acquisition of AT&T Wireless formed the largest mobile phone provider in the country with 46 million subscribers, surpassing Verizon Wireless with 42 million. The talks between Sprint, currently No. 3 in the market, and Nextel, No. 5, are also in part a response to Cingular's move, which forced other rivals to reconsider their competitive positions.

A merger of Sprint, which provides wireless service and traditional fixed-line service, and Nextel, best known for its push-to-talk walkie-talkie feature and loyal business customers, would marry two very different businesses and an assortment of overlapping and conflicting technologies.
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:54 AM
Darth Tator

here is another article. seems like they are definitely talking...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...53244_2004dec9
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:00 AM
Darth Tator

i wonder how they are going to combine technologies, iDen and CDMA are so different
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:10 PM
Still trolling

No company would ever let that happen just like they dont want inter carrier pic messaging..because it takes business away from them...
Then explain inter-carrier SMS messaging? Inter-carrier phone calls? Inter-carrier MMS is a matter of time. Don't fool yourself.
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:12 PM
Still trolling

www.howardforums.com

Nextel trademarked direct connect. The technology that they use to accomplish this is what is licensed to them (which is what has just come due). VoIP is not licensed by any one entity, which is what all the other carriers are doing. Bringing up a traffic channel, establishing PPP, and doing VoIP. There are a couple using the Kodiak solution which is voice over voice, with no data tunnel.

The methods that all the other carriers are using have nothing to do with Nextel, or it's methods for Direct Connect. What they are doing is no different than VoIP from your home PC.
Old 12-10-2004 | 04:44 PM
Race Director

IT WENT THROUGH!

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Sprint and Nextel have tentatively agreed to basic terms of a merger. The $36 billion deal would create a third giant cellular carrier with nearly 39 million subscribers. Although Sprint shareholders will retain more than 50% of the combined company, to be called "Sprint-Nextel", the merger will otherwise be mutual. The new company will have a 50-50 split among board members from each company. The new company would spin off Sprint's local landline operations. Nothing has been finalized yet, but the companies are said to be "advanced negotiations", and an official announcement could come next week.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7058934
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:07 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
jeez shut up already, we all know you like and work for verizon. and no one cares.
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:09 PM
The Creator

They will call it "Sprint Nextel" ??? How gay.

"Sprint Next" has a ring to it though
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:24 PM
Race Director

www.howardforums.com

LOL, I do like GSM Better than CDMA, but no one exactly said GSM was waaayy ahead of CDMA, do you know W-CDMA is more widely used back east, where they have high broadband internet speeds, and o ya they use sim cards too
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by soopa

I personally like the name Sextel
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:40 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by soopa

xbox next
Old 12-10-2004 | 06:20 PM
10th Gear

Nextel never had a "patent" on the walkie talkie... Other companies just started developing their versions of it. Nextel's Pust to talk and sprint's ready link are two completely different technologies. However there is a sort of gateway that has been developed to allow the two to be used together. This is what will probably be used if the 2 carriers merge. Nextel is going to have to reband anyway since their bandwidth interferes with the public safety spectum and it will be most likely rebanded as CDMA (used by sprint and verizon).
Old 12-12-2004 | 01:09 AM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

sprint ready link is crafty, definatly not unique somewhat annoying but effective.. me and some friends all decided to go in on a 3 month free trial and have kept it ever since.. its a lot easier than calling cuz you can hit the hot keys on the side of the phone.. also i doubt sprint will every buy nextel becuase they are racking up too much cash from nascar...... thats my
Old 12-12-2004 | 01:13 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dr_strange2001
Nextel never had a "patent" on the walkie talkie... Other companies just started developing their versions of it. Nextel's Pust to talk and sprint's ready link are two completely different technologies. However there is a sort of gateway that has been developed to allow the two to be used together. This is what will probably be used if the 2 carriers merge. Nextel is going to have to reband anyway since their bandwidth interferes with the public safety spectum and it will be most likely rebanded as CDMA (used by sprint and verizon).

Nextel doesn't have a patent on push-to-talk.

There is a patent on iDEN, which is owned by Motorola.

Nextel, SouthernLinc, and Boost all license and purchase iDEN equipment and handsets from Motorola.

There's no patent reason that another carrier cannot deploy PTT, just lots of technical barriers.
Old 12-12-2004 | 01:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Props to primetime. Where did you hear it first?
Old 12-12-2004 | 03:05 AM
Old fart

They can call it NASCAR Sprint Cup Series...

I wonder what kind of plans they're gonna have if they merge...
Old 12-12-2004 | 03:23 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

what's the big advantage to Sprint customers...like me?...or is there one?
Old 12-12-2004 | 02:06 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

the crowd of people that have 2 way sprint phones is definatly minimal, the nextel community is huge because everyone purchased teh nextel 2 ways becuase it was new and popular if there was a merge it would be insanely cool.. all my friends have nextels also many employers give out nextels to their workers
Old 12-12-2004 | 06:10 PM
Old fart

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
what's the big advantage to Sprint customers...like me?...or is there one?
Old 12-12-2004 | 08:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
Props to primetime. Where did you hear it first?

thanks bro!!....actually a friend of mine works at at&t/cingular and he told me that he read it in the paper (USA today) and It was mention in usa today again like last week. So i guess i was right!!

Quick Reply: sprint=nextel