Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase

Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Spotted dick is some kind of sponge pudding and toad in the hole is some kind of pie with pork in it...Bloke is like a goofy dude...
wow...culture shock...lol...always wanted to know...never heard of toad in the hole either...I've heard of bloke from top gear though!!! Only thing about britis culture i know a lot about is dogging...

anyone have the smaller zune? is it smaller than the last nano?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Without a garage

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Spotted dick is some kind of sponge pudding and toad in the hole is some kind of pie with pork in it...Bloke is like a goofy dude...

Eeew, I always heard British food was horrible.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,118 Likes on 6,107 Posts
Currently there's only one Zune available and that's the Zune 30. The Zune 80, 8 and 4 won't be released until Nov 13th.

Here's a size comparasion from gimodo. the 1st is the Zune 30, 80 and the iPod classic

now the zune flask, 2nd gen nano and the new nano fatty

here's a vid of the new UI
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OE6YUdC5onI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OE6YUdC5onI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Sanest Florida Man

HAHA!! I spelled it zune flask it should be called a flask instead of a flash!!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, he did that

The specs look good and the WiFi is highly intriguing, but I stuck with the 80 GB classic for the extra 10 hours of music battery life (Zune 80 is noted as 20 hrs with WiFi off).

I like the direction MS is heading in though
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
It may be my imagination, but I think things that were made for the last generation Ipods are cheaper then they were because of the new Ipod designs....I just got this today:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1177112317071
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Race Director

Received 838 Likes on 519 Posts
Besides learning that DRM free MP3 will not track you, I have also learned a little more about the Zune design. Inside sources have stated that the back plate of the player will be made from a brushed metal. This will be key for keeping scratches and fingerprints at bay. As for the rest of the body of the player it will be made of a hard glossy scratch resistant plastic as seen on many of the players noting the Creative Zen in particular. This from experience will show smudges and fingerprints but any player with a glossy plastic will. One of the more surprising things was that the Zune screen will be made of glass. So no more need to ridiculously spend $10 on a sticky piece of plastic.

I think the Zune team made a great choice by not leaving out first generation Zune owners; they will be getting all the same full functionality as new Zune owners. There was one small catch that I picked up on is that the first generation will not get native H.264 support. However, H.264 will be easily converted with the Zune software.
and a lot more info here
Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Wifi on the Zune is next-to-worthless. Until there are a large number of Zunes around there's little you can do with it....and there won't be a large number of them around until the Wifi works better (nothing like a good Catch-22, is there), the sad interface is second-rate too....typical MS shoddy copying, as usual.

Just got an iPod Touch to replace my 3G iPod...it is awesome and worked like a charm straight out of the box!.....the Zune is fine for 2006, unfortunately, it's almost 2008. I'd like to see MS concentrate on doing ONE thing right (like fixing Vista or making Office anywhere-near-close-to affordable)....THEN they could worry about bringing out an mp3 player. Ok, maybe they hit a bullseye with Halo3, but they're STILL losing big money on the XBox itself......kind of a strange business plan, IMHO.

The "tipping point" is coming , my friends....check out this pic from a university journalism class:
http://duggmirror.com/apple/Look_at_..._img_6672s.jpg

I use both Mac & Windoze (our school system IT guys are still shills for all things MS).....and having experience with both I can't understand why anyone (other than perhaps gamers or build-it-yourselfers) would voluntarily choose to burden themselves with Windoze.

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack the thread. If you like the Zune, go for it...and enjoy spending your "points" at the Zune marketplace....just pray that MS doesn't pull a repeat of "Plays For Sure!"
Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Wifi on the Zune is next-to-worthless. Until there are a large number of Zunes around there's little you can do with it....and there won't be a large number of them around until the Wifi works better (nothing like a good Catch-22, is there), the sad interface is second-rate too....typical MS shoddy copying, as usual.

Just got an iPod Touch to replace my 3G iPod...it is awesome and worked like a charm straight out of the box!.....the Zune is fine for 2006, unfortunately, it's almost 2008. I'd like to see MS concentrate on doing ONE thing right (like fixing Vista or making Office anywhere-near-close-to affordable)....THEN they could worry about bringing out an mp3 player. Ok, maybe they hit a bullseye with Halo3, but they're STILL losing big money on the XBox itself......kind of a strange business plan, IMHO.

The "tipping point" is coming , my friends....check out this pic from a university journalism class:

I use both Mac & Windoze (our school system IT guys are still shills for all things MS).....and having experience with both I can't understand why anyone (other than perhaps gamers or build-it-yourselfers) would voluntarily choose to burden themselves with Windoze.

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack the thread. If you like the Zune, go for it...and enjoy spending your "points" at the Zune marketplace....just pray that MS doesn't pull a repeat of "Plays For Sure!"
what the shit are you talking about lol? how do you like the wifi synch on your ipod? oh wait, you can't do that! How is that useless? and what do computers have to do with this? cool picture? go jerk it to steve jobs somewhere else
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by slayer202
what the shit are you talking about lol? how do you like the wifi synch on your ipod? oh wait, you can't do that! How is that useless? and what do computers have to do with this? cool picture? go jerk it to steve jobs somewhere else
It's OK!! He obviously didn't read anything in this thread besides the title. Just ignore him and he'll go away!!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Ooooooo....the MS fanbois are out tonight!

Enjoy your zune.....
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Enjoy your zune.....
Won't even reply to that.

Just neg rep him again if it will let me
Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 AM

http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune

30gb refurbished Zune for $100 while it lasts..
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 AM

Enjoy your zune.....
hahaha

i have an ipod n all...but you must be an apple fanboy eh
Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Yeah it's interesting that the 30gb Zunes is now the top selling HDD based mp3 player on Amazon.com taking up the top spots. Well at least it was when I looked last night
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rs=1...2Cn%3A15752041
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Pretty interesting considering that Apple sells the majority of it's ipods in their stores or their website. Sells at other retailers are a very small portion for them. So 42 million last year over 30 million the year before.

The Zune seems to be good for people who now more about gadgets and how to get around DRM. There's always going to be someone, somewhere that wants something better than whats available, that's were millionaires come from. But the ipod is the easiest player out there for the normal everyday user. Plus it works with Apple computers better than windows.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Race Director

http://www.last100.com/2007/10/04/zu...oft-did-right/

The unveiling of Microsoft’s generation 2 Zunes has largely been met with a lukewarm reception from analysts and pundits alike. And while it’s true that the new Zune lineup is at best evolutionary rather than revolutionary, especially when compared to the User Interface innovations found in Apple’s iPhone and iPod Touch, Microsoft has made some significant improvements — and, dare I say it, done a few things from which even Apple might learn a thing or two.

1. WiFi music syncing.

The original Zune’s WiFi functionality was seriously underutilized, with the biggest omission being wireless music library syncing. Zune 2 devices can automatically sync over a wireless network any time the device is placed in its dock or plugged in to charge. In comparison, Apple’s iPod Touch, despite featuring WiFi, can’t sync wirelessly with iTunes.

2. Support for audio and video podcasts

OK, podcast support is something which iPod/iTunes has had for years, so in this regard Microsoft is definitely playing catchup. Having said that, it’s still great to see the Zune Marketplace offering links to thousands of free audio and video podcasts — both amateur and professional — as well as the Zune software adding support for podcast subscriptions and the codecs required for native playback (e.g. H.264).

3. Windows Media Center TV recordings support

Having written before about Microsoft’s wider Internet TV strategy and the company’s ambitious plans for Windows Media Center, we’re not surprised to see better integration between the Zune and Windows Media Center. The Zune software can now automatically import television recordings made through Media Center for Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate editions, so that those recordings can be transfered to and synced with a Zune.

4. Social networking

The Zune’s tag line has always been “welcome to the social”, and now Microsoft is to roll out its own social networking site for Zune owners, called “Zune Social”. On the site Zune users will be able to create a customizable “Zune Card” that automatically updates to reflect the music they are listening to on their Zune or with Zune software on their computer.

From the release: The Zune Card shows most recently played tracks and highlights that person’s all-time music favorites. Other members of Zune Social can play samples of the songs a user has been playing directly from a friend’s Zune Card or link to Zune Marketplace, where they can buy or download the music.

“Zune Social” will also offer standard social networking features such as profiles, messaging, friend lists, and so on. Eventually, a widget will be available so that “Zune Social” users can display their “Zune Card” on other social social networking sites e.g. MySpace or Facebook.

Dedicated music-based social networks such as Last.fm and iLike already plug into the iPod/iTunes ecosystem, and it might be better if the Zune software integrated with existing sites rather than Microsoft rolling one of their own. Having said that, others have called for Apple to add better social features to iTunes.

5. Backward-compatible firmware update

Microsoft co-founder and CEO, Bill Gates, has openly called the original Zune “just so-so on the software side”, and the company is putting its money where its mouth is. In a free firmware update, version 1 Zunes will get all of the new features offered by the second generation devices (all of the software-related ones anyway). As Gizmodo says, this is how you should treat your existing customers.

More work to do

There are of course still a number of things about the Zune which are disappointing or damn right baffling. Number one on my list is the Zune’s approach to DRM and wireless sharing. Tracks that are shared over WiFi, Zune to Zune, can only be played three times (though they no longer expire after three days), regardless of whether they were bought from the Zune Marketplace or not, presumably at the request of the major record companies. However, this restriction also applies to podcasts that are shared wirelessly, since the software has no way of distinguishing between DRM-free music and podcasts.

I also think that Microsoft missed a trick by not releasing a hard drive-based Zune with a slightly larger widscreen display. As Mack. D. Male noted earlier on last100, such a device would fill a void currently left by Apple.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
I also think that Microsoft missed a trick by not releasing a hard drive-based Zune with a slightly larger widscreen display. As Mack. D. Male noted earlier on last100, such a device would fill a void currently left by Apple.
What!? They did!! The Zune 80 has a 3.2 in screen which is just .3in smaller than the iPhone and is .7in bigger than the iPod classic. IDK if either company will release a player with a screen 4in or bigger. It'd be too big and no longer be considered an mp3 player.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Race Director

Yea I didn't understand that line either.

But I posted the whole article.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

whats the point of that picture? ipod owners are bland and unimaginative? the world runs are windows, just remember that...
Old 10-05-2007, 09:06 PM
_____ like a rabbit

in related news...

http://www.powerpage.org/2007/10/ipo..._question.html

Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
_____ like a rabbit

any news on when the update will be available?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stangg172004
any news on when the update will be available?
well the new zunes are due in november or so? maybe around then?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

yeah they should launch nov 13. so I'd assume they release the update on that day or just after.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
pretty cool... but ipod>zune just because of mass accessories and apple fan boys will never switch imo
Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
pretty cool... but ipod>zune just because of mass accessories and apple fan boys will never switch imo
from what i've seen, some of the ipod accessories are insanely expensive.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
Is just not fans boys that will not switch. Apple fans boys are not large numbers, ipod has become the biggest portable music carry in history because of the whole package, hardware and software.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Is just not fans boys that will not switch. Apple fans boys are not large numbers, ipod has become the biggest portable music carry in history because of the whole package, hardware and software.
if by hardware and software, you mean fad and trying to be cool
Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
nnInn

I do not mean fad, I mean a correct and legal way to obtain and play music for the masses, not just the severely geeked.

Before you was born there was something called a Walkman, having one of those wasn't a fad or made you cool. It meant that you could carry your music with you without bothering those around you. Before the Walkman there were boomboxes. Then they did it with a discman, times changes and so does the avenues of what is used.

I would think that you go out and purchase the latest and greatest, a better computer or a PS, PS2,PS3 or xbox, xbox360. A better cellphone or just one that might have more gadgets, hell even a better car or just one with better parts than what was sold on the dealers showroom floor. Just because someone has an ipod doesn't mean there trying to be cool, they just purchased what was the better product on the market, which Apple has had for the last 5 years or more.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Banned

Its a simple device to use with NO learning curve. You pick it up and go. The software is very similar. Well designed and easy to use. Any common person can figure it out.

Not everyone has to be uber cool like yourself and have everything super-customizable, hackable, or something that is not "trendy" or "popular."

Most everyday people just wants something that works out of the box with little to no effort. The ipod provides that to the masses. So, hate on it all you want, your immature comments just show how ignorant you are.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Siddig
Its a simple device to use with NO learning curve. You pick it up and go. The software is very similar. Well designed and easy to use. Any common person can figure it out.

Not everyone has to be uber cool like yourself and have everything super-customizable, hackable, or something that is not "trendy" or "popular."

Most everyday people just wants something that works out of the box with little to no effort. The ipod provides that to the masses. So, hate on it all you want, your immature comments just show how ignorant you are.
not you again excuse me for being immature and ignorant for making a joke. I agree that any idiot of the street, like yourself, can easily pick up an ipod and use it. That doesn't make it a good product though
Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone else thinking that big ass button is kinda ugly? maybe it needs to be big...but maybe w/o any writing on it, it looks dumb.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

not you again excuse me for being immature and ignorant for making a joke. I agree that any idiot of the street, like yourself, can easily pick up an ipod and use it. That doesn't make it a good product though
actually it makes it a great product, and the sales numbers reflect that.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Drifting

actually it makes it a great product, and the sales numbers reflect that.
since when do ease of use and sales make something a good product? I'm not saying that is all ipod has to offer, but those 2 things along mean nothing.

I bet really shitty toilet paper is the best seller because of all the big businesses that buy it, and it's easy to use, but does that mean it is a good product?

IMO, the biggest reason why ipod is the biggest player in the industry is because they had first-mover advantages over everyone else, and because ipods are "cool."

If microsoft was the first to the market, and had multiple generations of players before apple or any other big corporations got into the market, everything would be exactly the opposite.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

iPod wasn't first to the market. Rio and creative were. Apple came in and wowed everyone with their UI. Look at how many players on the market today are basically an imitation of the apple interface. There maybe players that have better preamps in them, or little extras that some people want but it doesn't mean the iPod isn't a good product. It became the benchmark product until whoever else comes along and knocks them off their throne (and it will happen one day.)
just because you dont like it because its "cool" doesn't mean its a bad product.

And the reps you people are leaving are comical. Its amazing how even on the net you are too chicken to leave your name with them.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM
nnInn

since when do ease of use and sales make something a good product? I'm not saying that is all ipod has to offer, but those 2 things along mean nothing.
You don't sell 30-40 million per year of an item if it isn't a good.

If microsoft was the first to the market, and had multiple generations of players before apple or any other big corporations got into the market, everything would be exactly the opposite.
And if pigs could fly, there'd be more shit everywhere. MS was the first to put out a OS for the masses, it's not perfect but it's pretty good.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 10-08-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Drifting

iPod wasn't first to the market. Rio and creative were. Apple came in and wowed everyone with their UI. Look at how many players on the market today are basically an imitation of the apple interface. There maybe players that have better preamps in them, or little extras that some people want but it doesn't mean the iPod isn't a good product. It became the benchmark product until whoever else comes along and knocks them off their throne (and it will happen one day.)
just because you dont like it because its "cool" doesn't mean its a bad product.

And the reps you people are leaving are comical. Its amazing how even on the net you are too chicken to leave your name with them.
first of all, rio and creative are not nearly as big as apple, nor did they advertise like apple was capable of.

second, there are not many imitations of the apple interface.

3rd, I don't like ipods because I don't think they are the best players out there, and especially not for the best price.

4th, I said that being cool is what makes it so popular.

5th, I never said it was a bad product, but neither do I think it is the best. You need to learn to read

You don't sell 30-40 million per year of an item if it isn't a good.

Sure you can, but I never said it wasn't a good product, just IMO, not the best for all.

And if pigs could fly, there'd be more shit everywhere. MS was the first to put out a OS for the masses, it's not perfect but it's pretty good.
exactly, the ipod isn't perfect either, but it's "pretty good." However, since they were first to get it out there, like windows, it is what most people use, regardless of what other OS may be better and cheaper
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Drifting

oh, and people wouldn't give you neg reps if you weren't saying completely stupid shit
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM
nnInn

exactly, the ipod isn't perfect either, but it's "pretty good." However, since they were first to get it out there, like windows, it is what most people use, regardless of what other OS may be better and cheaper
ipod was not the first, just the first to make it better than anyone elses at the time. Kinda like what Toyota and Honda did back in the 70's when they started selling cars her.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Drifting

ipod was not the first, just the first to make it better than anyone elses at the time. Kinda like what Toyota and Honda did back in the 70's when they started selling cars her.
no one before apple advertised on a large scale to EVERYONE. those companies weren't big enough, and had no brand recognition etc. in the rio days, the average person had no idea what a rio was. also, the technology wasn't out there yet

Quick Reply: New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase